Cruising with an iPad?

Sonicked

Hi all,

I am quite attached to my iPad. It's my main source for reading and I enjoy playing games on it too... I'd love to take it on board, However, I am extremely paranoid about someone untrustworthy maybe coming along and nabbing it from my bag whilst in the pool or off getting a drink. Has anyone had problems of these sorts before?

Slightly unrelated, but does anyone have any apps they could recommend for cruise entertainment?

I definitely wouldn't leave it unattended. However, please note that if you are planning to sit by the pool and read, you'll need to sit in the shade. In the sun, it's worthless. You can't see the screen. That Kindle commercial on TV that shows the difference is unfortunately completely correct.

I definitely wouldn't leave it unattended. However, please note that if you are planning to sit by the pool and read, you'll need to sit in the shade. In the sun, it's worthless. You can't see the screen. That Kindle commercial on TV that shows the difference is unfortunately completely correct.

yup

we have both in our family

kindle for outside, ipad for inside

Unlike sunglasses, book or other things people often leave by the pool, an iPad is something you should never leave unintended, to desirable a treat :D

Hi all,

I am quite attached to my iPad. It's my main source for reading and I enjoy playing games on it too... I'd love to take it on board, However, I am extremely paranoid about someone untrustworthy maybe coming along and nabbing it from my bag whilst in the pool or off getting a drink. Has anyone had problems of these sorts before?

Slightly unrelated, but does anyone have any apps they could recommend for cruise entertainment?

We took our iPad on our recent Med cruise, but more so to download and view the 3000 pictures that we took. Oh, it was wonderful. DH did a little each day so it wouldn't be such a huge chore at the end of the cruise... it was great looking through the photos at the end of each glorious day in port. :)

I just bought a new lockable bag for this reason. I have nothing to do with the company, but here it is. Lock a bye and they are running 50 percent off with a code from Facebook.

It s a great quality bag, zips closed then locks. You take the handle and wrap it around your chair, a tree or whatever.

Check it out. I know we will be safe or safer while using it.

Nothing like a locked back on a deck chair that scream something valuable please steal :eek:

I just bought a new lockable bag for this reason. I have nothing to do with the company, but here it is. Lock a bye and they are running 50 percent off with a code from Facebook.

It s a great quality bag, zips closed then locks. You take the handle and wrap it around your chair, a tree or whatever.

yup

we have both in our family

kindle for outside, ipad for inside

I also have both. I've had my Kindle forever (I have the Kindle 2, which is no longer made), and I adore it. It's great in full sun. I do bring a ziplock bag for by-the-pool-use; I don't take it into the pool, but it protects my favorite electronic toy from accidental splashes -- and my own drippy wet kids. If I'm alone at the pool, I don't leave it lying out obvious on a chair, but I do tuck it away in my tote bag and get into the pool for a quick cool-down IF I'm in a chair where I can watch my things. I also don't hide it under a towel because my husband or kids are likely to come along and plop down on it. Kindles aren't all that new or expensive anymore, and I don't feel that they're quite the target that iPads are (of course, some people will steal anything, even if it has no real value -- for example, shame on whoever has my oldest daughter's swim goggles).

My iPad is new from last Christmas, and it's not yet cruised. I will take it in the future because it'd be nice for the kids to be able to watch a movie during travel, and it'd be nice to have internet access occasionally. But I wouldn't take it out of the cabin at all. It's no good in the sunlight.

I wouldn't take either one off the ship. I love to read on the beach, but I pick up .25 paperbacks at yard sales or at the library, and I take those for beach reading.

WOW -- these are $179, marked down to $149. Even with a 50% off code, that bag's more valuable than everything I'd carry to the beach.

They're attractive bags, but overpriced.

also have both.

I wouldn't take either one off the ship. I love to read on the beach, but I pick up .25 paperbacks at yard sales or at the library, and I take those for beach reading. WOW -- these are $179, marked down to $149. Even with a 50% off code, that bag's more valuable than everything I'd carry to the beach.

They're attractive bags, but overpriced.

I got mine for $75.00. We thought the peace of mine on the ship and beaches was worth it. Wether it was an iPad insidevor our cameras.

Nothing like a locked back on a deck chair that scream something valuable please steal :eek:

And sliding a walllet or camera in a sneaker is so much safer.

The op asked what she/ he could do. I explained what we did. If you want to make fun, make fun. But to get my stuff you will have to carry my chaise lounge along with you.

But if I want to run into the pool or beach or run to the bathroom, I can do that with a bit of a peace of mind.

For a few bucks on eBay you can buy a glare free screen protector, makes the screen as easy to see in bright sunlight as a kindle.

My iPad is like my third child, in other words, I couldn't live without it. If I move it goes with me, but I like the idea of a locking bag too.

For a few bucks on eBay you can buy a glare free screen protector, makes the screen as easy to see in bright sunlight as a kindle.

My iPad is like my third child, in other words, I couldn't live without it. If I move it goes with me, but I like the idea of a locking bag too.

What brand is the screen for your Ipad? I love my Ipad, but........would like to use it in the sunlight. Gave one of my kids my Nook before it got sunny here in Seattle, otherwise i would use that.

Ooh, this sounds marvelous. as the previous poster mentioned, any heads-up on a particular brand?

And sliding a walllet or camera in a sneaker is so much safer.

The op asked what she/ he could do. I explained what we did. If you want to make fun, make fun. But to get my stuff you will have to carry my chaise lounge along with you.

But if I want to run into the pool or beach or run to the bathroom, I can do that with a bit of a peace of mind.

I don't think the concept is bad, but I've seen smaller bags (meant to fit into a larger beach bag) in the $15-20 range. Same protection, much lower price.

Personally, we don't bring anything of value to the beach -- this type of bag will protect you from "theft of opportunity"; that is, a person who sees your stuff and takes advantage of it, but it will not protect you from a professional thief who comes prepared with wire cutters. And, yes, those people are out there. If someone sees that you have an iPad (or an expensive camera or whatever), he'll separate your bag from your chair quite easily -- but only if a professional thief happens to see what you have. The idea of a locking bag is to make your stuff just a little hard to grab so they'll move on down the beach to an easier target.

Here's what we do: For beach trips, my husband'll wear swim trunks that have an inside pocket meant to protect ID/money. We always bring a disposable camera.

I love my iPad too, but I ended up buying a Nook Touch for myself to read on. Every time I took the iPad with me to use it, DH would end up using it and i'd be left with nothing.

I actually will have to bring my laptop, the iPad and my Nook along. A little overkill, but were doing Disney before our next cruise and i'll need to be able to check email for work while i'm gone.

Kind of off topic but how do you download your pictures from your camera to your iPad?? Sorry new to iPad world and didnt think you could.

It's just a connector that you need. Anywhere that sells iPad's have them. I think they are around $35 or so and are pretty slick!

I bought my Ipad so I could stop hauling so much 'stuff' around. I used to have my phone, Nook, Nano and book(s), now just my phone and IPad Love, love, love my Ipad, but my only complaint is the glare while in the sun. Have decided I'll bite the bullet and buy a paperback for the beach, etc.

Archived