Best Alaska Cruise

cruisegirl25

We did Alaska on the Sun Princess last May on a Southbound itinerary leaving from Whitthier (Anchorage) to Vancouver. Itinerary and Ports of call included College Fjord, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchican. We loved it!

All ports were great but what I found even more spectacular are the first two days at sea sailing by the glaciers in College fjords and Glacier Bay National PArk. I would highly recommend this itinerary over a return trip from Vancouver or Seattle that only does the inside passage up to Juneau.

Hope this helps!!

Cruisegirl: My DH and I have done Alaska in May twice (2002 and 2003) and are booked again 2005, all on the Sun class ships. We love the one-way which allows us to cruise Glacier Bay. One way is Vancouver to Anchorage (Whittier) or visa-versa. There are round trip cruises from Seattle that make the flights easier, but these generally do not go into Glacier Bay; but still beautiful scenery. I suggest you check out the "Ports of Call" boards for Alaska to see many opinions. In addition to the cruise, a land tour from Anchorage to Denali is worth the extra time.

I agree Glacier Bay and College Fjords are just excellent, but I now give a BIG edge to HAL for Seward vs Whittier, no comparism for excellent varied activies. BUT way too many just pass through, consider adding another week with a one way and take advantage of the great touring options, especially Denali Park.

We enjoyed our roundtrip cruise from Seattle. I knew ahead of time that we'd be sailing west of Vancouver Island and there wouldn't be as much scenery the first day at sea. We still were close enough to see land most of the time, just not as close as we were, for instance, the morning before we docked in Juneau or when we sailed into Tracy Arm. Those times were spectacular. But I'm not sure I would have wanted to stay out on the promenade to look at scenery any more than I was able to on this cruise.

I have done both one way routes and prefer southbound due to the last sailing day along Vancouver Island, I have always seen orcas as well. But I spend the entire day out and a good pair of wide angle binoculars are needed. I don't consider outside passage sailing. :( BUT as noted above, sailing into Juneau and Skagway are INSIDE sailing the whole trip. :)

Since I live in within driving distance of Seattle, the roundtrips are really convenient and that's what we do, but if I was going to have to fly to the port anyway, I'd do the one-way. I think it's a better itinerary with better scenery. I'd really like to see them bring back the Vancouver round-trip because I thought it had better scenery than the Seattle round-trip, and it was still pretty convenient for those of us in the northwest.

• 2 weeks later...

You will get many pros and cons of cruisetours so be ready! I wouldn't recommend doing atour of less than 6 days (and more if possible) nd do your homework re travel time etc. The distances are great in Alaska but the scenery is amazing and as long as you know ahead of time what to expect, it's a good experience if you don't want to do a lot of planning yourself, car rentals, finding accommodations etc. It's pricier than on your own but that also is not a factor for some. The tours are definitely more "regimented" and you don't have the flexibility that you do traveling on your own but there is no right or wrong in that respect -- just a personal preference. IMHO the tours beginning in Fairbanks are best vs. those that begin in Anchorage and then sort of "back track" again back that way after Fairbanks/Denali.

Study the brochures and get input from both.. IMHO only the tour first followed by the cruise worked best but others will advocate the reverse! Just enjoyed the cruise which we found relaxing after the 'busier' time touring.

I am a clear independent advocate. Just superior all the way around to focusing on your touring priorities. Group point to point touring in Alaska is lacking, way too much is NOT disclosed on the cruisetours. With Princess- WAY too many of their cruisetours now only include the WORTHLESS Natural History tour- it's like seeing Disneyland from the parking lot. Never even consider this option in my opinion. I have written extensively on all the problems encountered. Going on your own is simple and easy planning. If you do go with a cruisetour- review the Alaska boards and understand fully what you are purchasing add at least a 7 day tour and time at the begining/end. If you go with the Fairbanks option- you see little of that city if you don't- rent a car. Backtracking in Alaska isn't an issue and going round trip Anchorage has many benefits with cost. It's only 350 miles Anchorage/Fairbanks.

I did an Alaskan cruisetour in 2003. Loved every moment of it! :) Even the Natural History Tour in Denali!

My point exactly! You will find others who are just as enthusiastic about their tour and an equal number who swear by the "independent route." If everyone wanted to do the same thing there'd be no reason for choices, would there?? :rolleyes:.

Archived