Meeting friends at Rome Airport Da Vinci

lynned2899

Hi all,

Need some suggestions. We are planning to meet friends at the airport to share a ride to our hotel. Our arrival times are 1+1/2 hours apart. Any ideas on where to plan to meet considering we have to wait so long for our friends.

I've been to Fiuminco(sp?) before but not that familiar with amenities in the arrivals area for Terminal C, arrivals from other countries in Europe.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If I posted this incorrectly I'm sorry.

If you arive first, you can pass the time in an airline lounge. British Airways and Alitalia have lounges in Terminal C, as do some other airlines, I think. Check to see if any of your credit card perks include airport lounge access. If not, you can buy a day pass. Once you decide which lounge to relax in, just let your friends know that that is where you will be, and you can meet them outside the lounge entrance at an appointed time. Nothing beats an airline lounge for washing away the stress of being in an unfamiliar airport where you don't know the language.

I would think it might make more sense once you get off the plane to proceed through immigration before trying to meet your party (which can take awhile), claim your luggage and then meet your friends in that part of the terminal. I seem to remember, unless things have changed, that the major rental car companies all have desks in that part of the terminal, so pick a company (Hertz?) and meet by their area. I think you should claim the luggage first so if either flight is delayed that the luggage doesnt sit around unclaimed...

If I remember correctly, there was also a little coffee place. It was after baggage, right inside one of the doors to the areas where the cabs wait. I know that's not much help as far as location, but I do recall it was there as I got an espresso while we were waiting to deal with some car issues.

Right after you claim your baggage, you will go thru customs, and immigration if it is your first stop in Europe. Then you leave the baggage claim area, thru the sliding doors to a open hall area. You will see the posts have the signage "Meeting Area" in English. That is where you can meet, as well as with your ground transport driver.

Right after you claim your baggage, you will go thru customs, and immigration if it is your first stop in Europe. Then you leave the baggage claim area, thru the sliding doors to a open hall area. You will see the posts have the signage "Meeting Area" in English. That is where you can meet, as well as with your ground transport driver.

I would wait right before you go out the sliding doors. Just take your time getting your luggage, etc. Once you go out to the "meeting area" it is very crowded, lots of people holding signs, and with luggage it wouldn't be an easy area to wait.

Will you have a smartphone that works in Europe? That way you could check the status of their flight to see if they have a major delay. It would be best to discuss this with them in advance, "if we see you're going to be more than xxx late, we'll head to the hotel."

However, if it were me, I'd arrange separate private transportation for each couple, especially after an overnight flight. I'd want to get to my hotel rather than wait in the airport. It doesn't cost that much. We use RomeCabs for all our transfers.

I would wait right before you go out the sliding doors. Just take your time getting your luggage, etc. Once you go out to the "meeting area" it is very crowded, lots of people holding signs, and with luggage it wouldn't be an easy area to wait.

Not if they are going to be waiting 90 minutes or more. Better to wonder around, perhaps eat, and be in the "Meeting Place" when the later arrivals are scheduled. Plus, if you have a driver arranged, you might get your baggage out to the driver in some of this wait time. We did.

Will you have a smartphone that works in Europe? That way you could check the status of their flight to see if they have a major delay. It would be best to discuss this with them in advance, "if we see you're going to be more than xxx late, we'll head to the hotel."

However, if it were me, I'd arrange separate private transportation for each couple, especially after an overnight flight. I'd want to get to my hotel rather than wait in the airport. It doesn't cost that much. We use RomeCabs for all our transfers.

Only problem here is most of the direct flights from the US get in early in the morning, and you won't be able to check into most hotels. But otherwise a good idea.

Only problem here is most of the direct flights from the US get in early in the morning, and you won't be able to check into most hotels. But otherwise a good idea.

We've always been able to check into our Rome hotels right away. But even if your room isn't ready, most hotels will store your luggage. I'd rather wander around Rome a bit or sit at an outdoor cafe than wait in the airport.

Lots of interesting ideas but most won't work for the OP, who only has about two hours to wait.

I'm not positive about the airline lounges, but I don't think you can get to them when you are arriving as they are in a section of the terminal 3 pod that isn't accessible to international arrivals. There may be other lounges in other sections of the airport that I'm not aware of, however. If so, an absolutely ideal way to spend some time is to use the lounges shower services. I've done this when traveling to Europe on business and, for me, even if I haven't slept well on the flight, a shower and change of clothes allows me to hit the ground running and go right to work.

The rental car desks at Fiumicino are in a different building and would not be a good meeting place.

The designated meeting area is meant primarily for car service drivers and would mean just standing in the middle of a busy hall for a couple of hours, which doesn't sound ideal.

It would not be possible to stand inside the customs area (the sliding glass doors); within a few minutes a customs officer or an armed guard will insist that you move along.

I think the best idea is to simply go into the Chef Express snack bar that is almost directly in front of you as you exit the baggage area. You can download a map of the T3 arrivals area from the FCO web site here: http://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma-en-/pax-fco-airport-map

Archived