Which cruise would you choose?

Izzybeff

DH & I are looking at cruises in January of 2013 and have narrowed it down to these three.. Which would you choose & why? We are ok with any of the ports of call, so that doesn't really factor in.

Epic out of Miami, Eastern Caribbean, $939 each for a balcony.

Dawn out of Tampa, Western Caribbean, $709 each for a balcony.

Star out of New Orleans, Western Caribbean, $709 each for a balcony.

We are going on the Sun out of Port Canaveral this coming January, so Cozumel would be a repeat for us on both of the Western Caribbean ones. We aren't too worried about that.

New Orleans would be the closest for us as we'll be driving, but again, not a huge factor.

Why the price difference for the Epic? Is it because of it being a newer ship, or just a pricier itinerary? Have you had a Spa Suite on the Epic before? They do look awesome, but I can't find a list of what exactly is included.

Thanks!:D

As I haven't been to a couple of the eastern ports, I'd pick the Epic. DW and I have been on all 3 ships and Epic is her favorite. The Spa Suite is a nice way to cruise and the amenities are awesome.

Of course, if you're looking for a suite, the new family suites on Deck 12 on the Star and Dawn are also great, and are often very resonably priced.

DH & I are looking at cruises in January of 2013 and have narrowed it down to these three.. Which would you choose & why? We are ok with any of the ports of call, so that doesn't really factor in.

Epic out of Miami, Eastern Caribbean, $939 each for a balcony.

Dawn out of Tampa, Western Caribbean, $709 each for a balcony.

Star out of New Orleans, Western Caribbean, $709 each for a balcony.

We are going on the Sun out of Port Canaveral this coming January, so Cozumel would be a repeat for us on both of the Western Caribbean ones. We aren't too worried about that.

New Orleans would be the closest for us as we'll be driving, but again, not a huge factor.

Why the price difference for the Epic? Is it because of it being a newer ship, or just a pricier itinerary? Have you had a Spa Suite on the Epic before? They do look awesome, but I can't find a list of what exactly is included.

Thanks!:D

For $400 more I'd be all over the Epic. The entertainment, restaurant choices, etc. are awesome. The Eastern Caribbean ports are great as well. I'm certainly biased though. I absolutely loved the Epic. You should read some reviews first (there are a couple in my signature line)

The Spa Suite is a room for 2 and has a whirlpool spa in your room and access to the Spa. It also has all the suite amenities on the Epic like access to the Epic Club, Posh, etc.

What you choose really depends on your personal preferences.

I would never choose the Epic simply because it's too huge for me.

If I remember correctly, the Star did away with its Observation Lounge, making suites there instead. Since a bow Observation Lounge is one of my favorite places, I wouldn't choose the Star.

So, my choice would be the Dawn.

As I said, it depends on YOUR personal preferences.

Don't know the ships, so can't comment on that. However, I have done 1 Western Carib. and 1 Eastern Carib. and 2 Southern Carib. My preference is Southern, Eastern then Western. But it all depends on what you want to do and see.

Having done the east and west I would pick the Epic. We have never sailed on Norwegian (or the Epic), but we have cruised 11 times with Princess. After looking at all the ships (Norwegian) I picked the Epic because of the entertainment and in general the reviews. I also selected the Spa suite in part for the perks but because of the larger balcony.

Hope this helps

If I remember correctly, the Star did away with its Observation Lounge, making suites there instead. Since a bow Observation Lounge is one of my favorite places, I wouldn't choose the Star.

Didn't the Dawn recently come out of drydock with the same changes/upgrades as the Star?

I agree with NMLady that it depends on your preferences:

I would choose the Epic for two reasons: First because I love large ships, however my wife loves the smaller ships. I would also choose the Epic because it is an Eastern cruise. I prefer Eastern ports of call to Western myself, however my wife loves Western. Since my wife does all the planning ... :D

I also love ships that have bow observation lounges. The wife booked us on the Star for 2012 because she got us into suite 12002 - one of the 4 suites that make up the old observation lounge.

So I would choose the Epic and Star, but if my wife booked the Dawn... ;)

Happy sailing on whichever ship you choose.

I think I'd choose the Epic, as I would like to try a slightly different product that the other NCL ships offer, while maintaining some of the "familiar" aspects. I'm a little sick of "same ship, subtle differences" of our last few cruises. Bring on something different!

I'm definitely leaning towards the Epic, but want to wait till our cruise in January to buy a cruise credit. I also want to make sure we like NCL as much as or more than Carnival as we've only sailed on Carnival in the past.

I'd love to book us a suite since it's going to be our 5th anniversary/celebrating the fact that i'm done being the president of a local volunteer agency trip, but i'm afraid I'd never want to go back to a regular balcony room again and that would probably cut back the amount of our vacations if they start costing more.:(

I'm definitely leaning towards the Epic, but want to wait till our cruise in January to buy a cruise credit. I also want to make sure we like NCL as much as or more than Carnival as we've only sailed on Carnival in the past.

I'd love to book us a suite since it's going to be our 5th anniversary/celebrating the fact that i'm done being the president of a local volunteer agency trip, but i'm afraid I'd never want to go back to a regular balcony room again and that would probably cut back the amount of our vacations if they start costing more.:(

I don't think you'll be disapointed with NCL. Food, Entertainment, Service are all great. I like NCL as much as I like Holland America.

I totally understand you kind of wanting to test the waters on the Sun this January. We did the same thing on the Epic last year and were blown away by the great entertainment and dining options. You really can't compare the Epic to any other ship you've ever been on. If you want to stay busy and want a ship that's really a destination by itself, give the Epic a try, no matter what your experience on the Sun is. And by the way, we love the Eastern Caribbean itineraries. :)

What time of year is your cruise to be?

My DD wanted the Epic because of the entertainment, new restaurants, etc. I hate the idea of such a large ship, but it's only a week, and if makes her happy, I'll be happy, cringing on our balcony while she's off partying, I guess.

So I booked Epic in November 2012. Thought I was doing well to get a balcony for $899. Two weeks later they were $649, so I asked my TA to change ours. We lost $50 in OBC, but saved $500 on the fare change, meaning $450 overall.

The Epic is a destination in itself, Ice Bar, Cartoon Characters, Blue Man Group, so many restaurants etc.

How much more is a spa suite on all those ships?

My DD wanted the Epic because of the entertainment, new restaurants, etc. I hate the idea of such a large ship, but it's only a week, and if makes her happy, I'll be happy, cringing on our balcony while she's off partying, I guess.

So I booked Epic in November 2012. Thought I was doing well to get a balcony for $899. Two weeks later they were $649, so I asked my TA to change ours. We lost $50 in OBC, but saved $500 on the fare change, meaning $450 overall.

The Epic is a destination in itself, Ice Bar, Cartoon Characters, Blue Man Group, Second City etc. and so many restaurants etc.

I have been on Costa Carnival RCCL Celebrity and Norweigan, I would go with Epic(I never was on it) but I booked Epic spa suite for sept 2012 suite number 11451 which has an extra large balcony. I also said I didn't want a big ship but after reading all the reviews I decided I didn't want to say coulda woulda shoulda and just said book the dang thing if I don't like it lesson learned but at least I tried. Although now I am excited about the Epic and the spa is right across from my suite. The Epic seems to be different thean any ship my friends were on Oasis and said they met a couple that just got back from Epic and there was no comparision. Whatever you choose have fun enjoy and yes once you go suite you won't wanna go back. But here is some helpful hints, if I have a cruise that is port intensive I don't need a suite, on long cruises I enjoy the suite and butler etc. So if you cnt do suites all the time there is a compromise:)

The Epic is a destination in itself, Ice Bar, Cartoon Characters, Blue Man Group, so many restaurants etc.

I don't believe that Star or Dawn have Spa Suites. As far as I know, Epic is the only ship that does.

beachchick

I don't believe that Star or Dawn have Spa Suites. As far as I know, Epic is the only ship that does.

beachchick

I believe the Epic is the only one with the spa suites. It's about a $600 difference or so, depending on when I book.

I think DH would like Epic as he tends to get a little bored on sea days.. That boat may give him more things to do. I'm happy sitting on the balcony reading my book!

I believe the Epic is the only one with the spa suites. It's about a $600 difference or so, depending on when I book.

You're talking about the Epic's spa mini-suites (no suite amenities), right? the spa suites cost thousands more than the balcony.

Since it's so early, have you checked the price of suites on Star and Dawn? You may be able to get one for close to the price of Epic's balcony (especially the SJ suites .... if you can forego the balcony).;)

We love the Dawn, the ship, crew, restaurants, entertainment, but if $$$ are not an issue and the port doesn't matter, I'd have to pick the Epic. why not try out the latest and greatest they have to offer, the worst that can happen is you'll feel it was too big, doubtful but possible.

I like saveing money :D pick the cheapest and easiest to get to.

The Epic is amazing and seems totally what Im looking for in a ship, with all the nightlife and entertainment but I chose the pearl because it was $200 cheaper and sailed to the ports I wanted to visit ( western ) ive done eastern and bahamas but not any ports on the western side. since you would prefer the eastern, maybe you should go on epic because deep down you know you want to ;)

factor in what your shore excursions would cost for each of the itineraries, perhaps on a more expensive cruise id sacrifice an expensive excursion so that i could balance the cost and splurge for a better ship instead.( i know you said cost wasnt a decideing factor for you but it definately is for me )

please let us know what you decide, happy cruiseing :)

Why is everyone talking about suites? OP was talking about a balcony. Unless OP has kids I would be looking at other lines before I sprung for a spa suite or other suite on EPIC at 3K plus pp. Crystal, Reagent, Seaborn Silversea even Oceania look like better deals vs a true suite on NCL by the time you factor in the all inclusives. But if you have kids and need multiple rooms - different equation. Just my opinion and I did the math

You're talking about the Epic's spa mini-suites (no suite amenities), right? the spa suites cost thousands more than the balcony.

Yes, you are correct! I was looking at the spa balcony prices and talking about the spa suites, very different I realize now.

Since it's so early, have you checked the price of suites on Star and Dawn? You may be able to get one for close to the price of Epic's balcony (especially the SJ suites .... if you can forego the balcony).;)

I definitely woulnt want to give up a balcony, but that makes sincento check out the prices of their suites. They don't have the separate pool and balcony areas like Epic does though, right?

Why is everyone talking about suites? OP was talking about a balcony. Unless OP has kids I would be looking at other lines before I sprung for a spa suite or other suite on EPIC at 3K plus pp. Crystal, Reagent, Seaborn Silversea even Oceania look like better deals vs a true suite on NCL by the time you factor in the all inclusives. But if you have kids and need multiple rooms - different equation. Just my opinion and I did the math

Archived