Up Dated Drydock Schedule

pd52

Does anyone have an updated schedule of drydocks, and the improvements to those ships ??

This is what Royal Caribbean has on their site:

2011_royal_advantage_schedule.jpg

Oasis of the Seas ................. Newly enhanced and now sailing

Liberty of the Seas ............... Newly enhanced and now sailing

Freedom of the Seas ........... Newly enhanced and now sailing

Radiance of the Seas .......... Newly enhanced and now sailing

Splendour of the Seas ......... More to love coming Nov. 25, 2011

2012_royal_advantage_schedule.jpg

Rhapsody of the Seas .......... More to love coming April 2012

Grandeur of the Seas ........... More to love coming June 2012

Serenade of the Seas ........... More to love coming Winter 2012

2013_2014_royal_advantage_schedule.jpg

Legend of the Seas

Vision of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas

Navigator of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas*

Enchantment of the Seas*

Independence of the Seas*

* Less extensive enhancements planned.

So the Explorer hasn't been renovated since 2001 and isn't due till 2013-2014? It needed work in 2009 when we sailed on her last. Give Cape Liberty a new ship! The EOS had been here long enough! Add some new ports! We should have the Liberty of the Seas sailing out of Cape Liberty, past the Statue of Liberty! Come on RCL get with the program. It would be a win, win! We had the VOS forever, now we are tired of the EOS. Give us something new in Bayonne, it will sell like wildfire!:D PS: Had to go Princess for something new:(

Why does everyone care about when they drydock a ship?

Most of the work done is mechanical and hullwork. You would never even notice it.

They usually just change carpet and some cosmetic pieces that are worn out.

It really won't make any difference in the trip..

Most of the work done is mechanical and hullwork. You would never even notice it.

Actually it makes a lot of difference to some ships in the forthcoming dry dock schedule. I sailed on Grandeur this year and found her a little tired and unexciting. After her drydock and refit next May she will (according to an earlier thread on this board) have the following:

Vision Class: Grandeur of the Seas

(coming June 2012)

Drydock Date May 1, 2012 - May 29, 2012

Outdoor Poolside Movie Screen added to Deck 9

Park Cafe

Izumi (specialty restaurant, charge applies)

The Boardwalk Dog House

Chops Grill or Giovanni's Table - NOT YET CONFIRMED

Royal Babies & Tots Nursery

Diamond Lounge

Concierge Lounge

Flat Screen TVs added to all staterooms

Interactive Televisions in Stateroom

Interactive LCD Display Monitors throughout ship

Stateroom Bathrooms updated

that's what I call a real difference ;) - so much so that I've booked to sail on her again next summer :)

Yes it does.

I am for instance always looking for RCI dry dock work in Hamburg. This town is not served by them and the Elbe river transfer (as RCCL has done before when going to Hamburg dry dock) is just spectacular. They usually have a passenger cruise going into and out of Hamburg when the ships dock there

So the Explorer hasn't been renovated since 2001 and isn't due till 2013-2014? It needed work in 2009 when we sailed on her last. Give Cape Liberty a new ship! The EOS had been here long enough! Add some new ports! We should have the Liberty of the Seas sailing out of Cape Liberty, past the Statue of Liberty! Come on RCL get with the program. It would be a win, win! We had the VOS forever, now we are tired of the EOS. Give us something new in Bayonne, it will sell like wildfire!:D PS: Had to go Princess for something new:(

We were on Explorer December 2009 and it was going into drydock at the end of January 2010

Do you have any evidence at all that they are having difficulty filling Explorer? We were on her in March and saw no obvious signs of wear and tear and she was in drydock for normal maintenance and refurbishment about a year ago. Not sure how, aside from satisfying your particular desires, replacing Explorer with Liberty is a win-win for RCI. As long as both ships are doing well in their present markets, what is the advantage to moving them? As far as adding new ports of call, which ones do you suggest that are a significant difference from those that RCI already offers?

It is always good to try out other lines to see what they are offering and whether or not they are a better match for you, but I get the impression that your decision to go to Princess wasn't so satisfactory that you have totally given up on Royal Caribbean. If you had, you wouldn't care which of their ships was sailing out of Bayonne.:rolleyes:

The ships are scheduled for enhancements - not a basic drydock. There is a major difference.

FYI, the carpeting is always being replaced as needed on all ships. They don't wait until dry-dock to do that.

Gina

Is it listed anywhere what the work to be done on the ships next year will be? More specifically I'm curious about the Rhapsody.

Ditto! I've emailed RCCL twice and included the link to their own page stating "More to love coming in April 2012". They said "it won't be similar to the others" but provided NO details. I sent back an e-mail and asked "so WHAT are you going to do?". and they said "we don't know". REALLY?

We'd really like to book Rhapsody for next June or July but would like to know that SOMETHING is changing (specialty restaurant add, Diamond Lounge add, something).

I do realize some of their decisions are made based on how popular previous drydock changes were for the passengers, but to be 6 months out and not have a clue? Not impressive

Ditto! I've emailed RCCL twice and included the link to their own page stating "More to love coming in April 2012". They said "it won't be similar to the others" but provided NO details. I sent back an e-mail and asked "so WHAT are you going to do?". and they said "we don't know". REALLY?

We'd really like to book Rhapsody for next June or July but would like to know that SOMETHING is changing (specialty restaurant add, Diamond Lounge add, something).

I do realize some of their decisions are made based on how popular previous drydock changes were for the passengers, but to be 6 months out and not have a clue? Not impressive

I suspect that those that have to know these things actually do know what is planned but may not have transmitted that information to the people who have to respond to public inquiries. One of the biggest complaints in dealing with RCI and other cruiselines is the lack of internal communication between departments which leaves the customer relations personnel inadequately informed of developments. Many times the information is available on cruise critic before the CSRs have it. :rolleyes: Actually, I am somewhat impressed that the person responding to your inquiry actually admitted ignorance of the plans instead of dreaming up something that might or might not turn out to be true.

Wasn't the Mariner going to be dry docked the last week of April 2012 before her transatlantic?

I was thinking the same thing. I thought early May, 2012 though. We're sailing on her in June, 2012 and I was looking forward to the large screen theatre at the pool, which was one of the things listed in an earlier thread.

The ships are scheduled for enhancements - not a basic drydock. There is a major difference.

Yes, the list above is for Royal Advantage upgrades and not routine dry dock visit. Mariner is scheduled for dry dock in Bahamas for 9 days just prior to our May 1 transatlantic sailing. It is not on that list because this dry dock will be routine hull and azipod maintenance. Sure, they will likely take opoortunity for cleaning and refresh that can't be done with apssengers aboard but nothing like the RA upgrades. We do hope they might re-do the TVs or wireless internet but I'm not holding my breath on that. More likely just new beds, fresh carpet, fresh paint and routine mechanical (plumbing and electrical) fixes for known issues reported since last DD.

I would however love to see a list of tasks for even this routine dry dock visit so to maybe make an educated guess of risk of delay or work continuing on our sailing.

i was hoping the enchantment would have been done sooner. since the "stretch" which only really effected the portion of the ship that was added, the rest of the ship is quite outdated. movie screen, flat screens, and added food seating really needed.....oh well....

nothing here is going to change anything....

wouldn't it be nice to forego an "new" ship and just use the money for major makeovers on the fleet...

When last I looked, I saw Bermuda, again. St Thomas, again, St Marteen, again and San Juan,(not a favorite port). Also not finding any summer sailings on Princess out of Broooklyn in the summer! How about Labadee, Dominican Republic, Ocho Rios, and then one of the old ones on RCL ut of Cape Liberty. Again I think the Liberty of the Seas would look and be fantastic in Cape Liberty!! Two sea days down out of Bayonne and 2 days back. Of course my dream cruise is a day at sea, port, day at sea, port, day at sea, etc, for a 10 day cruise. Doesn't that sound great?! We are usually 3 t 6 couples and have a good time wherever we go, but flying is an issue. Three of our regulars our handicapped with scooters so flying is a BIG hassle. Princess is a close second to RCL. Maybe things will change in the coming new year, but we are always looking forward to the next cruise! A bad day of cruising is better then a day of anything else!

When last I looked, I saw Bermuda, again. St Thomas, again, St Marteen, again and San Juan,(not a favorite port). Also not finding any summer sailings on Princess out of Broooklyn in the summer! How about Labadee, Dominican Republic, Ocho Rios, and then one of the old ones on RCL ut of Cape Liberty. Again I think the Liberty of the Seas would look and be fantastic in Cape Liberty!! Two sea days down out of Bayonne and 2 days back. Of course my dream cruise is a day at sea, port, day at sea, port, day at sea, etc, for a 10 day cruise. Doesn't that sound great?! We are usually 3 t 6 couples and have a good time wherever we go, but flying is an issue. Three of our regulars our handicapped with scooters so flying is a BIG hassle. Princess is a close second to RCL. Maybe things will change in the coming new year, but we are always looking forward to the next cruise! A bad day of cruising is better then a day of anything else!

Look again and you will find a 9 night cruise that includes Labadee and Samana, DR and an 11 nighter that stops in St. Kitts and Antigua. Bermuda, St. Thomas, St. Maarten and San Juan may be a bit old hat for veteran cruisers but for first time or occasional cruisers they are probably among the most popular destinations. RCI has to balance the interests of its veteran cruisers with those of the newbies that they have to attract to maintain profitability. I'm not sure that exchanging Liberty for Explorer carries with it any guarantees that the standard itineraries will change and since, as I mentioned, Explorer sales apparently continue to be strong, there is not a lot of reason to change things simply for the sake of change.:) I understand your situation and the difficulties involved in having to fly to other ports of embarkation, but it may just be one of the tradeoffs that have to be dealt with.

Archived