How to get a cuppa first thing

Miss UK

Hi, I am brand new to cruising, English and need a cuppa so I am able to function first thing in the morning. I don't really fancy getting dressed and wandering up to the dining room to bring one down (yes I am lazy!), so is it possible to order through room service? If I call, how quickly would it arrive? And it's free of charge? Sorry it's all new to me!

There is no charge for room service. Many of us do, however, give a dollar or so to the delivery person. You can order the night before or call when you get up and it will come quickly. I'm not a tea drinker, but friends who are say that they like to bring their own tea bags as they have particular brands/blends they are used to and are craving when they get up in the morning. Different ships carry different brands on board so we can't really tell you exactly what to expect, but you will find a selection of caffeinated and herbal teas available in the buffet 24 hours a day.

IF you are traveling on a ship that originates in Southampton there will be a kettle in your stateroom. But on all other ships that use other embarkation points there are no kettles so you'll get your hot water from room service.

Room service for just coffee is relatively fast - it can take anywhere from 5 to 20 minuites. If you add food that stretches it out a bit. In the morning when they are busy delivering breakfast, which is definitely the busiest time for room service, then an order for food phoned in at the last minute can take up to 45 min.

If you are waking on a schedule then you can order the night before by leaving a hang tag order form on your door. Room service will call when they are leaving the kitchen and on the way to your cabin. If you have to have a wake up call then what could be better than one saying your cuppa is on its way!

Room service is no extra charge so you can order anything from a pot of coffee (or hot water for tea) to a full hot breakfast.

Definitely take some of your own teabags with you. I've had room service deliver the hot water with no teabags or with some odd herbal stuff that might be good late at night but definitely not for the first thing in the morning. Num1crewsfam makes a good point about the carafes although it's not always a problem. If you decide you'd rather make your own tea with the hottest water available, throw on some sweats and head to the buffet area. You'll see plenty of people VERY casually dressed getting their early morning caffeine fix.

Thanks to the person who pointed out that hot water in those insulated carafes always makes the tea taste like bad coffee. I have never understood why cruise ships and hotels ignore this obvious annoyance (at least, it's annoying to those of us who drink tea!).

Why not set aside some of the carafes for tea -- or let us get one of those electric tea kettles for our room even when we're not sailing from Southampton? Presumably they're stored somewhere on the ship. That would make my morning a lot cheerier!

As far as we can tell, the kettles are not stored on the ship, but are off-loaded as the ship leaves Southampton and kept there. There are many of us who would love to have them on every ship, and keep requesting them on our comment forms -- maybe someday:rolleyes:

Thanks everybody for your replies. I can't be bothered to trapse all the way upstairs to get tea, I'm way too lazy and shall still be in my pj's!! Now what's the attire for running into the dining room to get tea??!!! (JOKE) LOL. Thanks everybody!

Being such a nice chap, I get dressed and go and fetch a morning revival brew for my wife - do you maybe have such a companion? (At this stage, I ought to admit that part of the reason was to have my first coffee and cigarette of the day out on deck, but I still go fetch even though I quit smoking a few years back).

The problem with cruise ship tea is that unless you have a kettle in the room you won't get BOILING water and as us tea addicts know, it just ain't the same made with hot water. I have yet to get tea in the buffet or MDR when the water was as hot as I would like.

Thanks everybody for your replies. I can't be bothered to trapse all the way upstairs to get tea, I'm way too lazy and shall still be in my pj's!! Now what's the attire for running into the dining room to get tea??!!! (JOKE) LOL. Thanks everybody!
This reminded me of one cruise on RCCL when a lady (?) joined us in the CL for light breakfast in her PJ's and robe. Perhaps they should have put up a sign, no smoking or PJ's in the Concierge Lounge!!!!

Being such a nice chap, I get dressed and go and fetch a morning revival brew for my wife - do you maybe have such a companion? (At this stage, I ought to admit that part of the reason was to have my first coffee and cigarette of the day out on deck, but I still go fetch even though I quit smoking a few years back).

That's a great idea, hubby smokes so he can get one on the way back. I'll tell him you suggested it. I am sure he will be happy (not!), well apart from having a fag (cigarette)!! Thanks.

Hi Miss UK and all,

We are also from UK and hope to sail on Silhouette out of Cape Liberty in March.

Like you I love my cuppa first thing. We thought we would take a travel kettle with us to use in our stateroom but are wondering now if this will be allowed.

We previously sailed on P+O so are used to having a kettle supplied.

Any advice please.

From the Celebrity website -- what not to pack -- (emphasis mine) -- it does appear that your kettle would be problematic

What not to Pack

For the safety of our guests and crew there are certain items that are not allowed onboard. If these are found they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors*

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

** Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates **

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint

Alcoholic Beverages**

As far as we can tell, the kettles are not stored on the ship, but are off-loaded as the ship leaves Southampton and kept there.

So does that mean on a TA out of Southampton there are no kettles even though presumably it will have a lot of Brits on-board?

As far as we can tell, the kettles are not stored on the ship, but are off-loaded as the ship leaves Southampton and kept there.

So does that mean on a TA out of Southampton there are no kettles even though presumably it will have a lot of Brits on-board?

Archived