Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Thanks lahlah57 for helpful hints. If you think of anything else let me know as I am in charge of gathering information for our group.

Good walking shoes are one of my first considerations when packing for trips. I may have flip flops in my suitcase for cabin use but would never think of trying to spend the day touring in them. I have gathered that this is a very busy trip. We tried to look at other trips for a slower pace but it is just not possible in China. We did book the extended days in Shanghai so maybe we will have a little free time and we re flying into Beijing a day early. I desperately want to go shopping for silk fabric so I hope I will have time. I am assuming the days on the river are a little slower pace. Is that correct???

I have read the whole China thread and have made notes of useful hints i picked up. All the hints will be printed out and given to our group at a pretrip meeting.

Yes take advantage of the cruising days.....that is when you will rest. After all that touring and humidity it's exhausting and feels good to just sit, read and have a drink:p. The 3 gorges are when you want to be top deck to take pictures too. Take binoculars so you can view the hanging coffins off of cliffs into the entrance of caves.....still can't figure how that was done. But beware....the monkeys are on the shores of the gorge doing things that folks have no business viewing. That's the only time my husband yanked the binoculars out of my hands while it was still strung around my neck........sheesh!

When you board you will meet your guide and you can ask then about silk fabric shopping. We visited the silk embroidery art gallery which many of us bought small to very large embroidered art pieces. We love ours and it is the most beautiful piece I have ever seen. It is all meant to be bought by the public and was shipped free to our home from there. We received it 2 weeks after we left. I hope all your wishes are fulfilled on this trip because I know ours were.

I requested and received binoculars for Christmas so I they will be in the suitcase.

Fabric shopping advice has been gleaned from this thread as well as online research. Quality not price is my concern. Whenever I travel I seem to come home with fabric. Just a fabulous piece or two!!!! I don't plan to spend the whole trip shopping for fabric. There is just too much to see and do. I am hopeful the first day in Beijing will provide fabric shopping and then it will be done...unless i happen to find another fabric store. It is an addiction........

If they take you to the silk factory, they have material on sale as well as ready made items. We found their prices to be quite reasonable and a good selection. We are still using the silk pj's that we purchased 5 years ago and they are holding up very well in that there has been no fading, ripping etc.

Sorry my earlier message jumped. We will be taking this same trip next June. Would like to hear about weather / clothing to take..and any other suggestions. Thanks. Milling73

Hi Milling, for sure upon our return we will provide as much input, good or poor, to all, although reading this forum from day one it has just about covered all areas. Still, they may, in some instances, be dated.

My wife has been ever so busy trying to cover all of the bases, in our case it also needs the added provision for a prior week in Phuket. So clothing is a bit of a crap shoot as we are more familiar with the Ocean Cruises. That said we will limit an awful lot and get by with a variety of tops combined with slacks or dress pants, but only a couple as it seems to be very informal on board. For the actual walking tours and intra flights it will be lightweight trouser/short combo plus regular lightweight shorts and tee's or polo's. Capri's are the choice for my wife with a little more of a dressy nature at night, but nothing formal.

Medication is a prime need, not only the prescibed type but also the 'what if scenario', this, my wife has studied and covered...we think. This will be a subject we can cover for you upon our return.

What choices to see and do after the day tours, we will decide at our own leisure but may not be the norm.

Looking forward to this vacation and for sure we will share, plus photos. So ask the questions when we get back.:)

Sorry my earlier message jumped. We will be taking this same trip next June. Would like to hear about weather / clothing to take..and any other suggestions. Thanks. Milling73

The weather in June where you will be is typically hot and humid, particularly along the river. (They don't call Chongqing one of the "furnace cities" of China for nothing.) You'll want shorts and comfortable top/shirts for touring during the day.

As for "other suggestions," what do you want to know? Also, this thread is loaded with information...

Have been lurking around on this thread for a couple of months and it is apparent that there are a lot of followers out there who may have some wisdom to share as we quickly approach our departure day for our Roof of the World trip with Viking in July ... July 17th to be exact! We booked the Shanghai to Beijing route simply because it was the only one that would work with my work schedule ... wanted to add the Hong Kong extension but that was not an option :(. Settled for an early arrival in Shanghai and will use the time to relax, see a little of the city, shop a bit and maybe even book a massage at the hotel's spa! We will be at Shangri-La Pudong Shanghai for four nights total (2 with the extension 2 with the official tour) so hopefully we will be "rested" when everyone else arrives on the 20th.

I will be travelling with my favorite travel partner, my adult daughter (Dad will stay home with the dogs!). We are both fairly fit and do not anticipate any issues with the rigors of the trip ... even the pontoons in Chongqing! We will each have our two-three favorite "walking" sandals (Keen, Ecco, Birkenstock, etc) so we can change out occasionally. We have secured prescriptions of Diamox (and other "what it" medications) from our physicians and will have necessary vaccines before the end of June.

We aren't particularly light packers but have been "editing" and plan on "disposing" of some items along the way to make room for souvenirs (for example: my "undergarments" will be going to China but will not be returning with me). My daughter is the official photographer (my pay-off for four years of tuition to art school!) and will be in charge of her cameras but I will have my trusty little "Elph" so we come home with at least a few pictures of HER. We have an ample supply of Wet Ones (travel packs), hand sanitizer, "Charmin to go", "sink size" liquid Tide packs, extra hangers (dry-cleaner variety - they will stay behind with the underwear), and my daughter has purchased a couple of "Go-Girl's" just in case ... although I think I would prefer to "squat" and have been spending extra time at the gym just in case ;).

Our passports and visas are ready and are looking forward to the arrival of the travel pack from Viking in about a month or so.

Have we forgotten anything? Any suggestions from you "pros" out there? This will be our 4th Viking trip but our first of the land/cruise variety. We are using packing cubes and "folders" to minimize the mess of packing and unpacking as we move from hotel to hotel. We will have some laundry done on the ship but will have lots of trip ahead of us after the cruise portion. We are hoping to keep the hand washing to a minimum but will likely have to do at least some along the way.

I appreciate any advice ... this will be an adventure and we are really excited!

We booked the Shanghai to Beijing route simply because it was the only one that would work with my work schedule ...
While we preferred the Beijing to Shanghai route as we got the "business" done first--all the Beijing sites/Great Wall/Xi'an and the warriors and then got to relax--an equal number of travelers have said they liked the Shanghai to Beijing as they were rested up for the strenuous part of the trip--I think you can't go wrong with this trip and you get to see Tibet also--which my husband's work schedule would not allow us! Lucky you!
We are both fairly fit and do not anticipate any issues with the rigors of the trip ... even the pontoons in Chongqing! We will each have our two-three favorite "walking" sandals (Keen, Ecco, Birkenstock, etc) so we can change out occasionally.
My husband and I are very fit and found nothing challenging about the pontoons in Chongqing--I'm sure others would not agree with us--in fact at one stop there was a cable car to take us up to the top to get the buses and we were going to walk instead but took the cable cars for the experience. IMO I think you would be wise to have a pair of sturdy sneakers that are thoroughly broken in. Lots of things to pick up on your feet. I read an article about the bird flu that was circulating in Shanghai (unbeknownst to us) while we were there--and it suggested washing the bottoms of your shoes to prevent spread of the virus.

We aren't particularly light packers but have been "editing" and plan on "disposing" of some items along the way to make room for souvenirs (for example: my "undergarments" will be going to China but will not be returning with me).

Instead of getting rid of the undergarments--at least the pants--I bought two pairs of the quick drying variety (available at any of the travel websites and Amazon.com) and washed one pair while wearing the other--they dried quickly--even on the river which was really humid even in March. If I'm remembering correctly there was a clothesline in the shower which could be pulled out.

Sounds like you are well-prepared for an incredible journey!!! Be sure to post a review when you get back so that the rest of us can live through you vicariously!!!!

Edited by GoInOnaCruz

Have we forgotten anything? Any suggestions from you "pros" out there?

You seem very well prepared! I can't tell from your list, but do make sure you have the necessary plug adapters for China for your electronics (including the chargers for the camera batteries). The hotels we stayed in with Viking actually had universal adapters built into their outlets, but this little piece of equipment is just too important to chance traveling without.

I want to second the suggestion above to get quick drying underwear. Ex Officio makes a REALLY comfortable pair of briefs that will dry overnight in most hotel rooms, although on the Emerald along the river in China it took two overnights. They are far lighter than cotton; much easier to pack several in your suitcase and they take up virtually no room, and just WAY more comfortable than cotton when you are sweating during the day (which you will do plenty of in China!). And so simple to just wash them in the evening. One of the best travel purchases I've ever made.

Have a great trip!

I want to second the suggestion above to get quick drying underwear. Ex Officio makes a REALLY comfortable pair of briefs that will dry overnight in most hotel rooms, although on the Emerald along the river in China it took two overnights.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for posting the brand--I meant to go look before I posted but forgot. Yes they did take 2 nights on the river--even in the relatively cool weather we encountered there--except for a couple of broiling, humidity filled 80+ weather we had the day we stopped at the pagoda. Interestingly enough, my husband's Ex Officio boxers DID dry in one night everywhere--more material--seemed to be the same material but who knows why?

Just posted my review on the Cruise Critic Review board - I won't repost here (partially because I forgot to copy it - LOL.)

Should be posted soon - once posted I'll let everyone know - it was a great trip but there are some pitfalls to the Roof of the World trip that you need to be aware of. Talk later.

Have we forgotten anything? Any suggestions from you "pros" out there?

Molymoo, you sound well prepared and you and your daughter will have a GREAT time! Incidentally, as a frequent business traveler (but trips average 2-3 days), this China trip was my first using packing cubes and they are indeed great for a longer trip (we were away a total of a month) especially one that goes from place to place.

Anyway, this might be a minor detail, but a few things that my family (and even someone on the bus) needed to "borrow" from me were:

- Large size bandaids (for the back of the heel) - despite well worn in shoes, the feet swelled a bit, first from the long overseas flight, then the vast amount of walking. In that you'll be in sandals, I'd suggest carrying extra bandaids in your wallet, rather than in your toiletries.

- Nail clipper - I keep one in my toiletries bag anyway, and definitely needed to use it due to the duration of the trip. It was a popular item among my travel companions.

- Zip Lock bags (thick medium size ones) - endless uses...

Have a GREAT trip!

I think it has all been said but here are my absolute items that are needed:

a battery operated hand held fan (travel section in WalMart; buy extra batteries) you can probably sell this for several hundred dollars at any point in the trip!!

febreeze--travel size; this will allow another day's wear from your clothes; take 2 or 3 bottles

masks--buy in drugstore; throw away; wear them on the plane; on the motor coach, etc. We had some smog but were sick for 2 months after returning home from "kennel cough"--you know, the coughing from breathing airplane air, hotel air, motor coach air, riverboat air, and being with the MILLIONS of people!!

a packable hat....take it and wear it!

elevation medicine if you are going to Tibet--contact your doctor!!!

the toilet paper and sanitizers--found in the travel section of WalMart...these are purse size and do not take up much room

This trip is arduous and exhausting, but I would go again in a second.

Buy silk scarves...they pack easily and are appreciated by everyone.....learn how to tell if they are really silk....and my silk embroidery picture is my pride and joy that I purchased in Shanghai...

Enjoy!!!

Edited by ruthlynn

We are planning on booking the Roof of the World for 2014 trip. Just curious if anyone from Canada (preferably Western Canada) has used Vikings air option and which route they sent you.

We used Viking Custom Air for our March 5 Imperial Jewels (Beijing to Shanghai) this year. My mom, based in Vancouver, flew Air Canada direct to Beijing. The rest of us, based in Toronto, flew Air Canada direct to Beijing. I think I also had the potential option of taking the Toronto-Vancouver-Beijing flight to join my mom, but we didn't investigate it further since she said she was fine to fly solo.

For the return flight, we had paid a deviation fee, and went to Hong Kong and other places (without Viking), and took direct flights on Air Canada back from Hong Kong to Vancouver (mom) / Toronto (rest of party).

That is great thanks. I was hoping that they wouldn't route through the states or something wacky like that. Of course that being said I know that each trip is different. It is quite a while away so we aren't sure if we will do our own flights or not.

That is great thanks. I was hoping that they wouldn't route through the states or something wacky like that. Of course that being said I know that each trip is different. It is quite a while away so we aren't sure if we will do our own flights or not.

Note that we used Viking Custom Air (in other words, paid the extra $50pp) to have some control/choice over our flights. I think if you book airfare only (purely Viking Air), then you may indeed get flights with connections possibly through the US.

In fact, for our return flight from Hong Kong, we were originally told it would be 1-2 stops (but I don't recall the itinerary). But our TA worked with us to get direct flights back through Viking Custom Air.

We are planning on booking the Roof of the World for 2014 trip. Just curious if anyone from Canada (preferably Western Canada) has used Vikings air option and which route they sent you.

They flew us Vancouver to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Beijing

Coming home Shanghai to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Vancouver

We flew Cathay Pacific and did not have to pay any extra.

Going to book with Air Canada executive first, about 3K cheaper than Viking could do, and we pick the flights. Going to go 2 days early to Shanghai, staying at The Kerry in Pudong, before moving to the Viking's selection of the Portman Ritz Carlton in Puxi. Will stay an extra day at the Westin Chaoyang in Beijing. Add a little relax time into a very busy itinerary. Dinner at the Black Sesame booked for November 28th! 160 days till we leave (not that I am counting....)

Great idea, thanks. Ordered 2 Large, 12 medium, and 2 small. Should be handy for the 2 of us.

I've used packing cubes for years and can't imagine traveling without them. Especially for trips like this when we'll be changing between hotels and the boat. That way I can take out the one or two I need for the first hotel without going thru the entire suitcase.