Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Where does your FB friend live? I thought that FB was blocked in mainland China, but she could be in Taiwan. Mainland China has its own versions of social media I was told.

True FB is blocked in Mainland China, but there are work arounds if someone is intent on connecting with the social media used by of the rest of the world. The Chinese use QQ, Weibo, and the Ten Cent Corporation has several different versions for networking. Some of them are available on any Smart Phone.

The friend that posted the photo is currently attending Fujian University in Southeastern China. And she does have the same FB social media as we do because she is interested in a journalist career in the US and uses FB to establish contacts. She interned for CCTV this past summer (Chinese TV), which for the Chinese is a big deal.

We received a notification from Viking and FedEx yesterday that our cruise package is on its way! This was a great surprise as we are 5-6 weeks out from our trip, and I was expecting a few more weeks of waiting. FedEx tells me that the waiting will be over on Saturday.

Snoop-Dancing-Coasters.jpg

We were on the CD in November and spent a nice afternoon at the "Summer Palace" gardens. Easy subway there from the Kerry Hotel (fantastic place). We were there a day early tho. If you are doing the Forbidden city etc. that AM, you may want to rest in the afternoon. Lots of walking.

Peregrina651,

You have referred to the blog you wrote of your Cultural Delights trip and I would like to read it but cannot find it. Could you give me a direct reference, please?

Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh no, Coastal, I'm sorry you went through such a hassle to find my travel blog and surprised, too, since there is a link to my China blog and photos in my signature. I'm also sorry that I didn't respond sooner but I was off tripping the light fantastic and didn't get back to my desktop until this afternoon.

Now that you found it, glad you enjoyed it--and hope you found it helpful. So hard to believe that I wrote it five years ago; there have been so many changes since then --including a newer ship and many tweaks to the itinerary--more optionals, another night in Xi'an.

BTW, since Delights and Jewels share many of the same stops, there is information pertinent to both itineraries in the blog. AND, I'm not the only one who has shared links for photos and blogs. If we've shared a link, it's an open invitation to visit. So come on in and set a spell.

If you don't see a signature attached to this post, maybe you have chosen to hide signatures; it is one of the user options. So, here is how to change that option, if you wish:

1. Go to UserCP--left side of the yellow band at the bottom of the CC header
  2. on the left side of the page, chose Edit Options
  3. Scroll down to the section Thread Display Option
  4. Make sure the box labelled Show Signatures is checked
  5. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Save Changes
  6. Don't forget step 5.

Finally, if you haven't already gone looking for Viking China, our parent thread, which because it is a closed thread has sunk down to the bottom of the pile, I suggest that you might enjoy reading the first couple of pages just to see how much things have changed over the past decade.

Thank you but no worries. I hadn't looked at the old thread in a while and enjoyed all that. We leave for Cultural Delights on St. Patrick's Day and are pretty well squared away, thanks to all the people who have posted. Appreciate you all and will try to check in.

Edited by Going Coastal

I was just reading through the latest trip information sheet posted earlier. It states that maximum checked luggage size is 16 x 24 x 39. That is HUGE. Is that a typo?

We generally travel with large rolling duffels (that are slightly over the airline size limit but we get away with it) and they measure 34.0" x 17.5" x 15.5"

I was just reading through the latest trip information sheet posted earlier. It states that maximum checked luggage size is 16 x 24 x 39. That is HUGE. Is that a typo?

We generally travel with large rolling duffels (that are slightly over the airline size limit but we get away with it) and they measure 34.0" x 17.5" x 15.5"

Two things.

1. Viking also has a per bag weight limit and limits you to one checked bag per person. If you pack that huge suitcase, it is going to be way over the Viking weight limit.

2. Even if Viking allows such a huge bag, passengers still have to meet the airline baggage restrictions for weight AND linear size (add up those three numbers). Those restrictions vary from airline to airline and in accordance with your ticket and frequent flyer status but still are smaller than what Viking allows.

In other words, check your airline baggage restrictions as well before you start packing, so you won't have any $urprise$ when you check your bags at the airport.

Thanks but Not really my question

I understand weight limits for Viking

We fly business class internationally and we can have 60 or 70 pounds

I just want to know if that size limit is correct

Gives me option of traveling with half full bag and loading it up at end when I shop in Shanghai. Weight limit won't apply traveling home

The size limit is correct for the internal flights within China, you'll have to check the limits for your international flights with the appropriate airline.

bitob,

The 39 may be a typo. Our longest suitcase is 29 inches including wheels. We took 7 internal flights in China with various Chinese airlines over the course of a month. Among the 8 of us in the group, we had the longest piece of luggage but not the heaviest.

Better verify it with Viking.

We shopped for two twin size silk comforters and matching pillows (best purchase ever!) at the end of the trip in Shanghai. The packages were squeezed tightly by the store and fit in our two large cases because we had left enough space.

Gives me option of traveling with half full bag and loading it up at end when I shop in Shanghai. Weight limit won't apply traveling home

We also fly Business but I think the Viking flights we will be taking are all one class and everyone will be restricted to their carry-on and a single checked bag of 33#. We will be arriving in Shanghai on an Ocean Cruise and plan to ship two 75# bags of luggage back to the US prior to getting on the Viking Cruise in Shanghai.