Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Hi, I read somewhere on this thread that the tip for tour guide is $10pp, per day....is this correct? Is this in the Viking info? If there are 60 people per group, that works out to $600 per day. Or, is it $10 per couple? I am not trying to be cheap about it but this seems excessive for China. I want to be prepared with the correct amount of cash at the end.

Also, for the intra- China flights, and one carry-on per person - does that mean I cannot also carry a purse. One carry-on is it? thanks so much.

We were on the Shanghai to Beijing trip in early October. There are two different tour guides you may want to tip. There is a program director assigned to your group (maybe 30 people in the group) and that person goes everywhere with you - meets you at first hotel, goes on buses and tours with you, flies from place to place, etc. You can tip him or her at the end of the trip. I don't remember if you can charge that or not - don't think so, as you literally meet the person at dinner the last night to say goodbye. That's the person you want to tip $10 or whatever Viking recommends per day per person.

There are also local tour guides for many cities that jump on the bus or meet the group at various places. They are usually locals and provide most of the information in the city or attraction you are visiting. For those guides, tipping is customary, but not everyone does it. A dollar or two per person seemed to be the typical tip, with the bus driver often getting a dollar or two as well. The bus drivers in the big cities deserved tips in my mind for putting up with bad traffic! Obviously, you might want to bring some dollar bills from home or ask the desk at your first hotel to change a larger bill, as you'll probably have at least 5 or 6 local guides and drivers. I believe all of this tipping guidance is contained in the info Viking provides, although of course, it is up to you if you want to adjust it up or down or not tip at all.

Carry on at the airports should be limited, but yes, a purse is allowed in addition to a small bag. On one plane, the carry on space was smaller than on most U.S. small planes, which is one more reason to keep the carry on small (in size). Also, at one place when embarking or disembarking the ship, you'll probably have to carry what you have with you, so I would not advise having a big, heavy bag. There are steps involved, and no railing, and while your program director (the one I mentioned early on) will help those who need it, but with 60 or so people going to the same ship, he/she can't help everyone. There are porters, but they are taking the big bags to/from the plane/ship.

Edited by roothy123

Thanks Roothy for explaining the personnel and tipping. We will get crisp $ plus some yuan before leaving the states. And, I'm glad to be able to have a purse as well as my backpack. Thought about a roller carry-on but, the backpack sounds easier with the stairs.

We were on the Shanghai to Beijing trip in early October. There are two different tour guides you may want to tip. There is a program director assigned to your group (maybe 30 people in the group) and that person goes everywhere with you - meets you at first hotel, goes on buses and tours with you, flies from place to place, etc. You can tip him or her at the end of the trip. I don't remember if you can charge that or not - don't think so, as you literally meet the person at dinner the last night to say goodbye. That's the person you want to tip $10 or whatever Viking recommends per day per person. The recommended amount will be in the information booklet you should receive about a month before the trip. This amount cannot be charged. And as mentioend in another post, can be a comination of $$ and Yuan and is a good way to use up your unspent Yuan.

There are also local tour guides for many cities that jump on the bus or meet the group at various places. They are usually locals and provide most of the information in the city or attraction you are visiting. For those guides, tipping is customary, but not everyone does it. A dollar or two per person seemed to be the typical tip, with the bus driver often getting a dollar or two as well. The bus drivers in the big cities deserved tips in my mind for putting up with bad traffic! Obviously, you might want to bring some dollar bills from home or ask the desk at your first hotel to change a larger bill, as you'll probably have at least 5 or 6 local guides and drivers. I believe all of this tipping guidance is contained in the info Viking provides, although of course, it is up to you if you want to adjust it up or down or not tip at all. I would not expect to get change for American currency in China, even at a good hotel. Bring the dollar bills with you. There is also onboard tipping (suggested amount will be in that booklet before the cruise). This can be charged (but seperately from your onboard account) on board or be in cash, US $ or Yuan.

Carry on at the airports should be limited, but yes, a purse is allowed in addition to a small bag. On one plane, the carry on space was smaller than on most U.S. small planes, which is one more reason to keep the carry on small (in size). Also, at one place when embarking or disembarking the ship, you'll probably have to carry what you have with you, so I would not advise having a big, heavy bag. There are steps involved, and no railing, and while your program director (the one I mentioned early on) will help those who need it, but with 60 or so people going to the same ship, he/she can't help everyone. There are porters, but they are taking the big bags to/from the plane/ship. For a picture of some of these steps, see below. Locals will be willing to help you carry your stuff up/down thye steps for payment.

See above in red

And for the poster who asked these questions: Yes, for a non-tipping society like China, the amounts do seem high. But the travel industry in gearing their tipping policies to what Americans are used to. And there are only about 35 people in each group, not 60. And, yes, even 350/day seems high for a place like China, but I am sure some people do not tip the recommended amount, so the guide's income will likely be below $350/day. The guides are so good, I am certain you will feel he/she is worth that tip.

Click on picture below for a larger image

590751139_002.2100_470908_08.10Stepstoclimbtostreetlevel.jpg.9c7af30efd2e0fc88a9a80731203b96e.jpg

I would like to add to what roothy wrote above the suggestion, made in fact by our Viking tour guide, that you tip the bus drivers and the local guides in Chinese currency. Unlike the Viking guide who is likely to get (and deserve!) a good bit of cash, including USD and can readily deal with exchanging that in Beijing or Shanghai, the bus drivers and the local guides will be getting far less, and it's not that easy for them to deal with USD (especially in the smaller towns along the river).

And to answer one other question -- you cannot charge the tip to your Viking guide to your shipboard account. You won't be aboard ship the last night of the trip.

Looking at caribill's great image of the steps in Chongqing (where you will embark or disembark the Emerald), one note: if you are traveling from Beijing to Shanghai, you'll be going down the steps; if traveling in the opposite direction, you'll be climbing up. And how many steps you have to deal with will depend on the water level.

Edited by Turtles06

caribill, thanks, after seeing this photo, I'm definitely taking my backpack!

Thanks for the tipping info too. You are right that some will tip below the recommended rate. I don't want to be that person, at the end of the trip, that says, "oh sorry I don't have very much cash left....".

Edited by swanny727

I would like to add to what roothy wrote above the suggestion, made in fact by our Viking tour guide, that you tip the bus drivers and the local guides in Chinese currency. Unlike the Viking guide who is likely to get (and deserve!) a good bit of cash, including USD and can readily deal with exchanging that in Beijing or Shanghai, the bus drivers and the local guides will be getting far less, and it's not that easy for them to deal with USD (especially in the smaller towns along the river).

And to answer one other question -- you cannot charge the tip to your Viking guide to your shipboard account. You won't be aboard ship the last night of the trip.

Looking at caribill's great image of the steps in Chongqing (where you will embark or disembark the Emerald), one note: if you are traveling from Beijing to Shanghai, you'll be going down the steps; if traveling in the opposite direction, you'll be climbing up. And how many steps you have to deal with will depend on the water level.

Good point about the local people having difficulty with USD. I will remember to get smaller bills from the hotel when we first arrive.

We will be climbing down those steps then. :D

It will be our third Viking cruise but of course first one in China. My husband will be in Shanghai for business then we will meet up in Beijing for trip. He has been to all the places we're going but I haven't so looking forward to it. Think I saw a posting from others on this trip. We are from Tampa Florida. Christine and Chuck.

We paid our final bill in Dec, were wondering when you find out the hotels assigned. Used the search function but no luck. Am curious about Beijing because won a free book from Fodor and we picked Beijing. Book was for using my opinion about European river cruising.. Pat

We paid our final bill in Dec, were wondering when you find out the hotels assigned. Used the search function but no luck. Am curious about Beijing because won a free book from Fodor and we picked Beijing. Book was for using my opinion about European river cruising.. Pat

We found out soon after we booked the trip, months ahead of when the trip occurred.

I would contact Viking (or your travel agent if you used one) and ask.

:eek: Oh, dear. In our house, "interesting" is just a polite way of not saying what we really mean. It can be interesting good or interesting bad or interesting complicated or interesting if I am stuck here in the house another day with him, I am gonna !#?@!!!!!!.

We wish you both his speedy recovery!!

DH is doing very well, my waitressing days are over. Can't imagine how painful the exercising must be.

Help, please--am bleery eyed from trying to find the wonderful peiking duck restaurant that many hve visited. Search function no help. We did get our hotels--Westin financial in Beijing, Crown Plaza in Xian and the Westin Bund in S. Would appreciate any info about them and the area around them. Thanks, Pat

Edited by pacmom

DH is doing very well, my waitressing days are over. Can't imagine how painful the exercising must be.

Help, please--am bleery eyed from trying to find the wonderful peiking duck restaurant that many hve visited. Search function no help. We did get our hotels--Westin financial in Beijing, Crown Plaza in Xian and the Westin Bund in S. Would appreciate any info about them and the area around them. Thanks, Pat

Hi Pat, glad to hear your DH is doing well.

The two really well known Peking Duck restaurants in Beijing that folks have discussed on these threads are Made in China (which is downtown in the Grand Hyatt) -- we ate there in May and it was incredible, and also Da Dong. They should come up in a search for them by name; also include the original Viking China thread (my review of our Viking trip is there, as well as a separate review of the three days we spent on our own in Beijing). Apart from duck -- if you have a free night in Beijing to arrange private dining at Black Sesame Kitchen, it will be a meal to remember.

We were also in the Westin Bund in S. It was a really luxurious hotel; beautiful room. (Enormous marbeled bathroom.) Nice buffet for dinner and breakfast. Very easy walk over to the Bund.

And just to whet your appetite for a little Peking Duck, here was ours being carved tableside at Made in China:

MadeinChina_01.jpg

Edited by Turtles06

Don't forget TripAdvisor for hotel information and pictures.

Help, please--am bleery eyed from trying to find the wonderful peiking duck restaurant that many hve visited. Search function no help. We did get our hotels--Westin financial in Beijing, Crown Plaza in Xian and the Weston Bund in S. Would appreciate any info about them and the area around them. Thanks, Pat

Pat, so glad to hear that your DH is doing well after his knee replacement.

We stayed at the Weston in Beijing and it was wonderful. It was just a few blocks from a huge shopping mall and the street markets (Don't eat the food there :eek:.) There were a couple of people from our group that walked to the Hutongs, too. Wish that I would have joined them.

Make sure that you bring PLENTY of OTC drugs with you..........extra, in fact. That was the one area that I was lax in. Ran out of heartburn meds and had to go to a pharmacy to get more. Our tour guide had to help translate so that I could compare ingredients. Also, my husband needed Sudafed and I did find a pharmacy in Beijing that had a book that had American names and then the Chinese translation beside. Very expensive, though.

Have a wonderful time.

Sharon

We are going on the June 1st, 2012, tour from Shanghai. We are going on the non-stop United flight from Chicago at around 10:20AM, on May 31st. Looking for any other couples to share a limo from the airport to the hotel. Anyone interested?

My parents will be on the same sailing! Their airfare was arranged through Viking so their transfers are included...

Sharon, thanks for the thoughts about DH anf those of many other CCers. Am starting to get excited about the trip--was able to see on a map in the Fodor book the location of the hotel. We do have a trp in Aug. (Black Sea with Oceania). That is just about taken care of.

Did you have any free time in Beijing? Viking is giving an extra nite so we are ready "to go" when the tours start. The walking in the neighborhood sounds like something we would enjoy. Thanks again. Pat

Did you have any free time in Beijing? Viking is giving an extra nite so we are ready "to go" when the tours start. The walking in the neighborhood sounds like something we would enjoy. Thanks again. Pat

If you are getting an extra night on Viking, then you'll have a full day (that next day) free, since the Viking tour starts the day after. We had three days on our own; I put up a detailed report of what we did, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29264391&postcount=4680

Unless you want to spend the day seeing another section of the Great Wall (e.g., Mutianyu), I would highly recommended a visit to the Temple of Heaven Park. You can do that in the morning (the best time) and then walk around the hutongs later, and/or visit the Lama Temple, etc. (Keep in mind that since you are starting in Beijing, you will have a tour of the hutongs as part of the Viking trip.) For us, I think the Temple of Heaven Park was the "biggest" thing in Beijing not on Viking's itinerary.

You might also consider a private guide for that day. Although Beijing is do-able on your own, guides are inexpensive and you'll save a great deal of time getting around (since you won't have to figure it all out).

Have a great trip.

I wanted to do this also because we wanted to fly American, but our TA said she was very hesitant to schedule this flight because if there is a problem with the airlines and/or the flight itself and you have to spend time in Tokoyo, one must have a visa for that country also and so we decided to go with her choice of flights direct to Beijing and direct back from Hong Kong......but I still like your idea of getting out and walking around.......

We just placed a deposit on the September 17, 2013 Roof of the World trip and really looking forward to it - even though it seems so far off. Any reason why Viking, with so many ships, does not have its own listing on the CC board? No biggie-just curious.:confused: