Advice on which itinerary to choose :)

carbreylynn

Ok super experienced cruisers i need your help!!! I'm planning our next cruise for Sep 2012, we definitely want to go on the Magic and There are 3 total itineraries, 2 of which I'm interested it.

Montego Bay, Jamaica

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

Cozumel, Mexico

Key West, Fl

Freeport, the Bahamas

Nassau, the Bahamas

Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan

Belize

Cozumel, Mexico

One time I was watching the travel channel about 5 years ago and they were ranking most beautiful places in the world and they had Roatan Island on the list and since then I've always wanted to go but the other 2 ports don't interest me to much, because by this time it will be our 3rd time to Cozumel.

I'm also interested in Key West but don't know much about it or the Bahama ports.

Price is not a factor as they are all in the same price range, but I have them listed in order of least to most expensive up there! All we are interested in while in port is shopping, swimming and laying on the beach :) Definitely not into excursions, if that helps with your recommendations!

Go for Roatan! You'll love the beautiful island and friendly people. Please, just do me a favor, leave the Mahogany Bay area, get a guide or go on an excursion. I've been there twice. The Half Moon Bay area has great, walk-in from the beach snorkeling. Bring your own gear or rent there. I'd really love to fly there and stay for a while. Unfortunately, when I checked into the airfare, it was ridiculous.

Belize has great Mayan ruins. Other than that, it is not one of my favorite ports.

I love to shop in Cozumel. There are some great little places to spend an hour or two with a truly Mexican margarita.

Whatever you decide, HAVE FUN!

We cruised Conquest to your 1st and 2nd options, loved Key West, couldn't care less for Bahamas. Going on the Jamacia, GC, Coz for the 3rd time in March on Magic but really wish I could have done the Roatan cruise. I have heard nothing but great things about those places. Please take me with you.

We are doing the Bahamas on Magic in a couple of months, did the Jamaica / Grand Cayman cruise on Conquest a couple of years ago, and love Roatan, although I have never been there on a cruise ship, overall I would vote Roatan, even if it is spoiled by all the tourist these days, when I first travelled there in 1988 it was still relatively unspoiled with a population about 9,000 people and there were no direct flights from the U.S. instead you had to fly out to the island on an old WW2 era DC3, now the population is around 60,000+ and counting .

Ike

p.s. you would have to pay me to go back to Jamaica

I'm not a huge fan of the Bahamas. Love Key West but it doesn't have great beaches. It's a better port for the local characters, history, and architechture. And some great bars. :p

I also love Belize, but doesn't sound like it will really be what you are looking for since you say you want to shop and do the beach thing. It's better for ruins and jungle tours or snorkeling on the cays offshore. Roatan is also beautiful but much less developed than a lot of the ports. I also really enjoyed it.

Given that you want beaches and shopping, I'd look at the Grand Cayman/Cozumel itin.

we just returned from the Roatan, Belize, Mexico itinerary. I'll pick this itinerary again any day over the other two you mention. Nassau, Freeport, and Montego Bay are awful.

Most western Caribbean itineraries include Cozumel, which is fine with me. I've been there a dozen times, and I will never get tired of Cozumel. There are so many different things to do there....or find one place that you love (like Nachi Cocom) and go there every time.

As to your choice.... I would definitely cross the eastern itinerary off your list. I love Roatan (Maya Key, the private island, is awesome!), but not so much Belize. I love Montego Bay and Grand Cayman. A lot depends on what you like to do in a port. If you like to snorkel, both itineraries are good. If you want to zipline, I'd go to Jamaica. Shopping... Cozumel. Mayan ruins....Belize. Relaxing day on the beach.... Roatan, Cayman, or Cozumel. Check out the ports of call boards for excursions ideas. I really don't think you can go wrong with either of the western Caribbean itineraries. I plan to be cruising on my birthday the end of next Sept., next year, so we might even end up on the same cruise! :D

Roatan Belize Cozumel

While in Belize take the water taxi (10$ each way) to Caye Caulker and go to The Split. Great Bar and Beach day.

While in Roatan book with Victor Bodden. Explore the Island. Still very untouched in lots of places.

And any beach in Cozumel is a good beach.

Looks like we are leaning towards Roatan then :) I guess another day at Paradise Beach in Cozumel won't kill us!

Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan

Belize

Cozumel, Mexico

Try someplace else rather than paradise beach in cozumel. there are so many others to choose from!

I have done the Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Jamaica, and I LOVED that cruise. I loved Cozumel for the dolphin swim, Grand Cayman for the stingrays and being able to walk around without anyone bothering you. I think i went to Ochos Rios and did Dunn's falls, but I don't care if I ever go back to Jamaica. I have not gone to the other places, the only other island I have been to is Aruba and I loved it so much I bought 2 timeshares there. Not that I can afford to go there all the time, so I am not sure what made us do that! :) I am sure you will love whichever itinerary you choose.

Archived