We are here ... Ship is not!!!

KentuckyKat

Guest LoveMyBoxer

This was just posted on JH FB page:

Message from the wonderful Jen Baxter, CD of the Carnival Fascination

Just got the last guest off about 20 mins ago …..even after the really rough weather yesterday the guests were OK

this morning when we couldn’t get under the bridge and we didn’t start debark till 1:45pm some were angry at me. I did my best to explain but a few blamed us for the weather

OH well – what can ya do eh?

We’re just staring embark now and will be sailing at midnight

Jen

Yes, folks, file that away in your brain. Cruise Directors control the weather and the tides. ;)

I honestly feel bad for CDs in this situation. All they can do is relay the information they're given. I don't know why people have to be so mean and non-sensical as to take it out on the CD.

You serious a hurricane watch from your local news, it isn't even a tropical storm nor will it be. We are getting the wind and rain here now from it.

I think she meant Tornado Watch. We were under a Tornado Watch until 1pm today.

Some streets downtown were flooded, the ocean was whipped up so much it looked like it snowed at the beach last night and south of us the roads were so flooded fish were swimming in the streets.

Or Carnival could have done like RCCL did with the Freedom of the Seas yesterday and plowed through the storm and wound up with ship damage and a few people getting injured.

At least carnival and Disney had the sense to stay in port and ride the storm out until this orning.

Here in Charleston we now have the storm and the extreme high tides and winds associated with it....

Glad the OP is taking this in stride and hopefully is thankful carnival is responsible enough to put passenger safety in front of itineraries and missed flights.

Bill

i think she meant tornado watch. We were under a tornado watch until 1pm today.

Some streets downtown were flooded, the ocean was whipped up so much it looked like it snowed at the beach last night and south of us the roads were so flooded fish were swimming in the streets.

yes, thanks i meant "tornado" watch.:)

The tide is too high and it will be unable to pass under the Dames Point until after 1pm per the news. However, we are supposed to get even more rain in the next couple of hours and the ship has to go back under the bridge. That bridge sucks for several reasons, but mainly it keeps larger, newer ships from our port. I never understood why the port was placed on that side of the bridge.

Isn't the Jaxport terminal a temporary one? Maybe the permanent one will be built on the other side of the bridge? What are the plans for that anyway?

OP- Come back and tell us about embarkation and dinner please. Curious how the day went.

I just got off Fascination, seas were absolutely horrible all the way from Nassau departure, til we woke up this morning and found ourselves at the cargo pier! Carnival was great and did what they could given the conditions...just what happens sometimes when you cruise during hurricane season!

I just got off Fascination, seas were absolutely horrible all the way from Nassau departure, til we woke up this morning and found ourselves at the cargo pier! Carnival was great and did what they could given the conditions...just what happens sometimes when you cruise during hurricane season!

EXACTLY. That is the price we pay for the lower fares....and all the pre-cruise worry on the weather! Occasionally something goes wrong this time of year....the key is to just roll with the tide and take the waves as they come!

I do hope OP and everyone got onboard ok though. It would not be a fun situation just like the folks in Mobile went thru a month or so ago. We got lucky last week with our trip.

I live here and Jax and was on my way across the Dames Point bridge at about 10am and wondered why the Fascination was docked where the cargo ships usually are.

Isn't the Jaxport terminal a temporary one? Maybe the permanent one will be built on the other side of the bridge? What are the plans for that anyway?

Innocent question but why was the the terminal put on the "wrong side" of the bridge ?

I don't understand especially if part of the port is on the "right side" IE. not having to go under the bridge.

If JaxPort is a temporary port, why wasn't it placed on the correct side?

Innocent question but why was the the terminal put on the "wrong side" of the bridge ?

I don't understand especially if part of the port is on the "right side" IE. not having to go under the bridge.

I think they used a building that was already there while they are supposed to be building a new terminal...don't know where they are in that process though.

Edit: I just looked it up and Jacksonville constructed the temporary terminal and "may look to build" a new permanent terminal. It's location is convenient to state road 9-A and the Jax airport.

Mayport would be the perfect place for a cruise ship. Close to the ocean, no bridge to worry about, and a job generator.....unfortunately, some of the Mayport residents feel their "town" is too historic, and a cruise terminal would "ruin" the "quaintness." Every time I drive thru Mayport on my way to the ferry, I look for the "quaintness" but fail miserably.

The port facilities on the "right" or east side of the Dames Point Bridge are cargo facilities. Conversion would be costly and the city wants to build something where the bigger ships can dock. If only Mayport would cooperate.

For the person who would like to know how embarktion went....don't flame me but this was by far the worst embarktion I have ever had in 4 cruises. We were told to be at the port at 4 pm and in the mean time, we could to to the Regency Mall. We spent 5 hours at the mall. There was a Carnival booth set up outside Sears at the mall that was kind enough to give us a worthless paper with embarktion zone # 2 on it and instructed us to come by hourly for updates. We followed their directions as were supposed to and we ended up at the port at 4 pm. We were lined up in a "temporary" parking lot....for 2 hours! No information at all but could see people walking around on the lido deck. After 2 hours, we were allowed to go to the parking lot. Another hour and 15 minutes, we finally made it to the boat and then thankfully, our room were ready. We maAfter encountering many rude Carnival folks, we made it to our room. Now let me say, once on board, the employees were fabulous. We could not ask for better. Just very frustrated with the whole embarktion process. I can't help but think if we were at the port at 10am and followed directions, why were we one of the last to board? Like I said, once one the ship, all is well and just as fabulous as Carnival is! Also a little frustrated that we ended up having to spend $30 on mall food court food for lunch. I can't help but think Carnival could have given us a voucher for lunch somewhere. I guess that sounds bad but I was really frustrated with the way it was handled. Lemonade was available by the port once we got there but no cups! Even met some folks who were supposed to be guests at a wedding on board and did not make it to the wedding because they were stuck in the parking lot! Such a shame. I know they can't control the weather but just felt like it was a botched situation.

All of this because of the tide. They said the ship is currently docked at the cargo pier.

I saw this on the 5 PM local news - so sorry!! It was due to tide plus all the rains and wind - there was a tornado in Fleming Island early yesterday morning, and streets are flooded in San Marco and possibly at Jax Beach.

I hope the rains held off and you were able to enjoy the Zoo yesterday.

At least the nor'easter conditions have moved north and there is some sun with isolated showers today for Florida. Hope the rest of your cruise is AWESOME!!!

We are lucky that the parking people told us the zoo was about 1 mile away. We are going to treat this as a shore excursion. We are not planning to do much in Nassau so that will be a ship day and this will be a shore day! It's all good as long as we are on board for dinner! But I think I may rearrange some packing so I will have clothes with me when we board.

Love this attitude!! Your cruise will be a success because of it! ;)

Saturday and Sunday Florida had really bad weather from a sub-tropical storm. 6 inches and more along the coast. An 81 mile per hour gust was reported at the Cape Canaveral Air Force station. The Sensation and Dream out of Port Canaveral left very late. I believe passengers were allowed to board and wait it out on the ship. I’m sure it would suck if your ship didn’t show up. You just can’t plan ahead for the weather. Nobody can.

The tide is too high and it will be unable to pass under the Dames Point until after 1pm per the news. However, we are supposed to get even more rain in the next couple of hours and the ship has to go back under the bridge. That bridge sucks for several reasons, but mainly it keeps larger, newer ships from our port. I never understood why the port was placed on that side of the bridge.

I'm glad we have a port at all, but like you, I wish we could get newer/bigger ships and more cruise lines. When the port first opened, Carnival had Magic here but the bridge was really a problem for such a huge ship and Magic didn't stay long.

For the person who would like to know how embarktion went....don't flame me but this was by far the worst embarktion I have ever had in 4 cruises. We were told to be at the port at 4 pm and in the mean time' date=' we could to to the Regency Mall. We spent 5 hours at the mall. There was a Carnival booth set up outside Sears at the mall that was kind enough to give us a worthless paper with embarktion zone # 2 on it and instructed us to come by hourly for updates. We followed their directions as were supposed to and we ended up at the port at 4 pm. We were lined up in a "temporary" parking lot....for 2 hours! No information at all but could see people walking around on the lido deck. After 2 hours, we were allowed to go to the parking lot. Another hour and 15 minutes, we finally made it to the boat and then thankfully, our room were ready. We maAfter encountering many rude Carnival folks, we made it to our room. Now let me say, once on board, the employees were fabulous. We could not ask for better. Just very frustrated with the whole embarktion process. I can't help but think if we were at the port at 10am and followed directions, why were we one of the last to board? Like I said, once one the ship, all is well and just as fabulous as Carnival is! Also a little frustrated that we ended up having to spend $30 on mall food court food for lunch. I can't help but think Carnival could have given us a voucher for lunch somewhere. I guess that sounds bad but I was really frustrated with the way it was handled. Lemonade was available by the port once we got there but no cups! Even met some folks who were supposed to be guests at a wedding on board and did not make it to the wedding because they were stuck in the parking lot! Such a shame. I know they can't control the weather but just felt like it was a botched situation.[/quote']

If you have insurance, keep all your receipts. We went through this in September on the Elation. Keep your chin up and have a great cruise!

Mayport would be the perfect place for a cruise ship. Close to the ocean, no bridge to worry about, and a job generator.....unfortunately, some of the Mayport residents feel their "town" is too historic, and a cruise terminal would "ruin" the "quaintness." Every time I drive thru Mayport on my way to the ferry, I look for the "quaintness" but fail miserably.

The port facilities on the "right" or east side of the Dames Point Bridge are cargo facilities. Conversion would be costly and the city wants to build something where the bigger ships can dock. If only Mayport would cooperate.

I agree

Archived