Which Cruise lines should i take for Alaska in May

shorjai

Sounds like you may be open to any cruise line.

The first question for you to consider is if you prefer a one way cruise or R/T. We first considred a R/T on a larger Princess ship (I think the Sapphire then) and then changed to a one way. That one was on the Coral Princess. She sailed out of Vancouver (late May) and we disembarked at Whittier, AK. We just liked the itinerary better.

Probably most cruise lines in Alaska are worth trying. It's beautiful. Make the itinerary what you want and the rest should fall into place.

I would first figure out what itinerary you want to do.

Some additional cruise lines to consider are Princess, Celebrity and HAL who have been doing Alaska for many years.

Consider looking at their itineraries and also the two you mentioned to see which one(s) look the best for you.

Keith

Whether its May, Jule or Sept I'd consider the big two HAL/Princess. They have the most ships, sailings and likely the most to the best which is Glacier Bay and Hubbard ;)

Ports and scenic cruising are far more important than the line IMHO!

We just booked the Carnival Spirit roundtrip from Seattle on May 8, 2012. We've been to Alaska once - we did our own "land tour" - but we're excited about combining two things we love, cruising and Alaska! :D We picked the Spirit because it was the cheapest (we need a balcony - once you get one, you never go back;), and if you add up the cost of the cruise, airfare, hotel night before cruise, and of course the excursions, it's really expensive! So we figured we'd pick the least expensive cruise, and have more to splurge on the excursions:) I'm sure you'll have an awesome time no matter what you pick! Have fun planning:)

OK, my jaded opinion. I give no value to the who has been sailing Alaska the longest stuff. What does that have to do with next year, when ALL the cruise lines now have been sailing there over YEARS, except Disney. Have any reported being "lost" or not having the skill to sail the routes, miss ports because they couldn't find them etc etc?? NO

This year, I have now sailed Alaska on NCL, Carnival, RCI, Celebrity, Princess and HAL. I don't know of anyone else who has. Each offered me, a great cruise.

The above suggestion to find out about Alaska Inside passage and to determine, if interior is in the picture is an essential one. Each port is very different and offer unique actities, same with the glacier sailing- big difference, but I will not "rank" them or claim some are better than others because, again, they certainly are all worthwhile visits.

Taking this time, first, will allow for a lot of elimination and easier cruise selection.

With the selection, take a look at ports, glacier, route, time in ports, ship naturalist and price.

Just my 2 cents. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

i am planning to a Alaska cruise May 2012.. which cruise lines should i take?? i been on Carnival, NCL. both cruise was in the Caribbean islands ... Please give me advice will be very helpful

It would be a very good idea to see what is still available fast for May. Our princess cruisetour for May 23rd has been sold out for a while. The June sailings are close to full also so don't waste too much time or you will have to take less than you want. Good luck!:eek:

It would be a very good idea to see what is still available fast for May. Our princess cruisetour for May 23rd has been sold out for a while. The June sailings are close to full also so don't waste too much time or you will have to take less than you want. Good luck!:eek:

I wonder if they are truly full or if Princess is holding back cabins? This does seem very early to be full. IF they are full it may very well be because Princess is offering better one-way itineraries, especially on their SB one-ways. I was very disappointed to learn that HAL is only doing one glacier day on their one-ways instead of the two they had been doing. This may be one reason Princess could be full already.

Hey everyone,

i am planning to a Alaska cruise May 2012.. which cruise lines should i take?? i been on Carnival, NCL. both cruise was in the Caribbean islands ... Please give me advice will be very helpful

Definitely ask yourself what do you want to see? There are several itineraries to choose from. If it is your first cruise to Alaska, I would imagine seeing a glacier is important. If so, find an itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay. It is absolutely spectacular. Also, are you looking for roundtrip from either Seattle or Vancouver or one ways that will take you from the southern ports to Alaska or vice versa.

My first cruise to Alaska included a trip into Tracy Arm Fjord with NCL. We were able to make it quite far in but only had a glimpse of the Sawyer Glaciers. My second cruise to Alaska on HAL included Glacier Bay and I was blown away. We had gorgeous weather the entire week (this was the first week of June) and Glacier Bay, with it's snowcapped mountains, was breathtaking. My third cruise to Alaska will be coming up in May 2012. We booked with Celebrity and the itinerary includes Hubbard Glacier.

Alaska is beautiful so no matter what you choose, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

My first cruise to Alaska included a trip into Tracy Arm Fjord with NCL. We were able to make it quite far in but only had a glimpse of the Sawyer Glaciers. QUOTE]

I always recommend as "necessary" the add on Tracy Arm ship boat tours. These are grossly superior adn significantly better that any of the ship transits, and just about always get good glacier access. Only about 25% of the cruiseships are successful and these views include those miles away.

These would be the "cruisetours" sold out, of which you HAVE to be very careful with Princess, they have way too many poor itineraries.

Cruises are far more available, and there are many options available for interior Alaska touring to consider.

I always recommend as "necessary" the add on Tracy Arm ship boat tours. These are grossly superior adn significantly better that any of the ship transits, and just about always get good glacier access. Only about 25% of the cruiseships are successful and these views include those miles away.

Unfortunately, not everyone has a budget for excursions, especially the Alaska ones which I find quite expensive. I was happy with what I saw in terms of the glacier. Also, living in Vancouver affords me the opportunity to always go back and visit when the need for a quick vacation arises.

Our glimpse of Sawyer Glacier:

374291196_VMbXk-L.jpg

Unfortunately, not everyone has a budget for excursions, especially the Alaska ones which I find quite expensive. I was happy with what I saw in terms of the glacier. Also, living in Vancouver affords me the opportunity to always go back and visit when the need for a quick vacation arises.

Our glimpse of Sawyer Glacier:

374291196_VMbXk-L.jpg

Hope you don't mind, I looked at some of your Alaska pictures --- they were beautiful. What kind of camera did you use? Also, did you use a filter on your lens? The pictures are so crisp.

Karen

Hope you don't mind, I looked at some of your Alaska pictures --- they were beautiful. What kind of camera did you use? Also, did you use a filter on your lens? The pictures are so crisp.

Karen

Of course I don't mind you looking at my photos. Thanks! I just have a regular fuji and no, there is no filter on the lens. :)

Archived