Boarding Golden in Los Angeles

Cat_Lover3

In March of this year we arrived at 11:20 or so. They were not boarding when we cleared security. We had to wait 15 mintes or so. Then they boarded by groups. We were in group 4. We were in our cabin a little after noon. The whole thing was pretty efficient.

I used to think there was a "scheme" to the whole thing.....such as getting to the dock early and finding a parking space and getting onboard the ship really early, only to find myself waiting in the terminal instead......it can be a "hit or miss"......then we'd get there around 11:00 and would find absolutely no parking spaces open either, with long lines to get on the ship.

I'd rather be at the dock early, drop off my bags, hunt down a parking space [maybe having to walk a bit] and have the opportunity to be on the ship earlier. Allowing me to drop my bags in the cabin, grab a bite to eat at the Horizon Court and go exploring.

So, early arrival for me is between 10:30 and 11:00am. We usually always make it on the ship between 11:45 and 12:00. Princess cabins are always ready and available by noon. Very convenient for the early arriver. Not all cruise ships are like this. Carnival will not let you in your cabin early and we found the same thing on Celebrity and HAL.

We try to get onboard as soon as possible too. But it does seem to be different from week to week.

Two cruises ago we got there at 12:15pm (there was a lot of traffic between the Valley and the port) and were in our cabin with carryons unpacked within the hour. There wasn't any wait to see a check in clerk. The disembarkation process started way late on our return so the passengers waiting to board had to wait quite a while.

Last cruise, we aimed to get there earlier and had scheduled a 10am pickup. The shuttle service messed up and didn't pick us up until an hour later. Lots of traffic due to construction on the 405 and rainy conditions. We were there around 12:30 or so...and it took forever to get on the ship because of the lines that formed by then.

Archived