Oceania is now part of the AMEX platinum cruise amenity program

stuNYC

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure O became part of the Amex Platinum program in October, 2011. I received an Amex Platinum brochure the other day which outlines the various travel benefits and O is included. Benefits shown for O are $300 per stateroom obc, wine tasting plus a bottle of wine "of your choice from the tasting menu", and double reward points.

There's no indication in the brochure that the offer is limited to booking for October, 2012 and later.

I just booked a Crossing in 2013 today and was told that the AMEX program is not available if your TA includes gratuities - it's either or

Our TA said the same. What is the conflict? I assume Amex is contributing the $300, and the TA--or a consortium, Virtuoso or Ensemble--is offering gratuities. But in the latter case, it is really from the ta or is it actually coming from O?

If the Amex contribution is actually coming from O--or whatever line you are on--then the refusal to offer a double enticement is understandable. If not, it is a bit of a puzzle. Any travel experts here who can enlighten?

Thanks.

Our TA said the same. What is the conflict? I assume Amex is contributing the $300, and the TA--or a consortium, Virtuoso or Ensemble--is offering gratuities. But in the latter case, it is really from the ta or is it actually coming from O?

If the Amex contribution is actually coming from O--or whatever line you are on--then the refusal to offer a double enticement is understandable. If not, it is a bit of a puzzle. Any travel experts here who can enlighten?

Thanks.

Believe all OBC's and Gratuities are shared in some way by the TA/Amex/Cruise Line. Know on one trip our TA provided a cash amount for our OBC and it was refundable. More than likely, any OBC's or Gratuities that are not refundable are at least partially funded by the cruise line.

Just like a lot of the cruise line's financial data, we the public will never get the full story and can simply surmise what is going on but, my conclusion is based on some data (refundable cash payment by TA) and some financial logic. No inside information.

The cruise line itself is the one bearing most of the cost of Amex sponsored OBCs. That is why they do not want to combine it with other amenities. Only if your TA pays for anything out of his own pocket can it be combined.

So the prepaid gratuities are a perk of O, not the TA?

Usually they are an Oceania benefit distributed through the travel agent.

Quick question though, if you're using the diminutive of perquisite, should it not be "perq"?

perk-up-your-day-catherine-holman.jpg Gosh, I need a cup of coffee :o

This is exactly how we booked our Oceania Riviera cruise and yes we are getting $300 onboard credit and double points. We got the same thing for our recent 7 day cruise on Celebrity's Eclipse in the Caribbean.

To obtain these benefits, must you use an AMEX travel agency or may you use any travel agent?

You do NOT need to book through Amex itself to get these benefits. Any travel agent can get them for you by going to Amex and getting a tracking number.

You may arrange for Platinum Benefits through any Travel Agent, but for the "double points" the Reservation must be booked through American Express Travel Site.

You are absolutely correct. Thanks to the double points program we've even able to build points faster than before. The benefit is obvious.

You may arrange for Platinum Benefits through any Travel Agent, but for the "double points" the Reservation must be booked through American Express Travel Site.

Just got off the phone with AmEx. This deal is still only avaliable to AmEx holders in the USA, not in Canada. There is a similar program that covers a number of other cruise lines such as Crystal, HAL, Regent and others for AmEx Canada. I would have upgraded to the Plat. card had it included Ocenia!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have always dealt with TAs specializing in Cruise bookings and will now add AMEX to the list of TAs from whom we get quotes

Dean called Canada Amex Platinum Travel Department and was advised:

1. Yes there is a Cruise Privileges Program in Canada
  2. Booking must be made thru Amex Travel. Agent was not able to advise as to how competitive they were in pricing with TA specializing in Cruises
  3. Oceania is not on the list of cruise lines covered by the Cruise Privileges Program

Decided to write Canadian Amex Travel to make certain that the verbal advice was correct

Reply as follows

Hi Dean,

We unfortunately do not have Oceania as part of the Canadian Program.

But as for the procedure, if you were to use one of the Cruises from the Program you have 2 options.

You can book the cruise thru us here, or if you prefer to use your travel agency they can book it, they will have to mention to the cruise line that you are an Amex Platinum card holder and they will have to get a Tracking Form Number from us here.

Take care

Joanne

Archived