Solo Cruiser & Dining - how do you handle it?

Nikki Lisette

If you are comfortable eating in a restaurant alone at home, then you will likewise be comfortable on a cruise. If you're not sure, then try it at home first.

Speaking for myself, the only reason I take a book or magazine with me is to mark my place when dining in the buffet. :-)

You assume you will eat alone -not necessarily so. Unless you want to.

If you can, choose any time dining; on my last 12 day cruise I received 9 invitations to join various people at dinner. I don't accept all invitations - depends on menu as I have various food allergies.

I am very comfortable dining alone so I sit back and people watch.

Annie

Take a cruise with set dining times and tables and request a large (8 or 10) person table....then you won't have to worry about eating alone. Chances are with a table

that size, at least a couple of others are bound to show up. Unless you are stating that you WANT to eat alone. If that's the case, just ignore any pitying looks or stares. I've eaten alone a few times on cruise ships and I'm pretty sure the most of the looks I get from couples are ones of ENVY.............at my freedom and independence. LOL

I agree with another poster - the OP is *assuming* that s/he will be dining alone. The majority of my cruises have been solo and I have yet to eat alone. I dine in the main dining room for dinner at an assigned table with other guests. The smallest table I have sat at is a 6 top with the majority of times the table is at least an 8 top.

If you breakfast and lunch in the main dining room, you will be seated with other cruisers. It's a wonderful way to start up conversations and meet your fellow cruisers. I have many lasting friendships from cruises that started this way.

I suppose it's all in what you want. If I want a quick meal - say on a morning with an early excursion, I'll go to the buffet. Normally, though, I'd rather eat with others.

In the evenings in the MDR I also request a large table - an 8 or 10 person one. I find it much more pleasant. It also means more people you can visit with when walking around the ship.

Bryan

I did ask for a large table to meet people as others suggested. But I did wish to try the Olympic on Millennium, so I put on my big girl pants, and reserved a table for one - I'll be damned if I'm not going to eat there because I am by myself - I'll just bring along a book and "Harvey"!

I did ask for a large table to meet people as others suggested. But I did wish to try the Olympic on Millennium, so I put on my big girl pants, and reserved a table for one - I'll be damned if I'm not going to eat there because I am by myself - I'll just bring along a book and "Harvey"!

I use My Time dining not wanting to get stuck at a table with the same group of people. On my last cruise, the first night I agreed to join a young couple from England. I very much enjoyed talking with them; but, I felt intrusive although I believe they enjoyed chatting with me just as much as I did. I ate alone the rest of the time, often in the buffet because the MDR takes so long that my butt would hurt by dessert time. On the upcoming cruise I've signed up for each of the specialty dining venues. This has me a bit nervous as I don't feel like getting fussed over. I'll graciously cope, I'm sure. I definitely won't join others because they are likely looking for a special experience. I'm not it.

As long as you don't start talking to "Harvey" you will be fine :p

Hi,:) I have been sailing with Celebrity for 8 years now and the wait

staff is awesome. If you are not pleased with your tablemates after

the first evening? Go see the Maitr'd and speak with him. They have

always been more than happy to help. As for dining in the Olympic?

GO FOR IT:D.....and who knows, you might run across someone in

one of the lounges or somewhere and try it together.

I remember on one of my cruises (I believe it was Solstice in 2010)

I was having a drink at one of the bars and another gal and I started

chatting. She was sailing solo as well....we just happened to get along

and ended up dining in Tuscan Grille together. Not saying that will

happen but you never know. We had a good time for dinner. Then I

went my way and she went hers but it was an enjoyable time. BUT

I would have eaten there on my own without a problem. :)

I went on the NCL Jewel and ate at the buffet 4 nights and was very comfortable- there was so much hustle and flow that I was like invisible.

The 3 nights I ate at the italian restaurant the ship was at port, I was there 5:30 and out by 6:20, but not rushed, ate dessert, and was even offerred extra foood.

It all depends what ship you are on though. I would not have been as comfortable at a 2 hour dinner.

When I solo cruise I go with an assigned time and table no less than a 6-top.

On my first solo cruise I was seated in the MDR with 4 other solo cruisers. Great table and one night another person at the table bought a bottle of wine and shared it.

One my last solo cruise last December, I met a couple while roaming around deck. Later that night I went for a quick meal in the Windjammer and that couple saw me and invinted me to there table and a 30 min quick dinner turned into 2 hours of enjoyment.

At breakfast and lunch I usually do the buffet and eat alone and people watch.

I always go for set dining at a table of 8. For me dinner is the main part of the evening entrtainment, so I'm perfectly happy if it lasts 2 hours. Smetimes I get on really well with my table mates and end up spending time ashore with them, sometimes we get on fine but just stick to seeing each other at dinner time.

I've occasionally had no dinner companions (almost no English speakers onboard) and that didn't bother me either. I don't think anyone gave me a pitying look, think it was the opposite as I had 2 waiters fussing over me and making different kind of table decorations for me every evening. thinks others might have been a tad jealous of my preferential treatment!

On my last cruise, I was entitled to a free meal at the a la carte restaurant and I had no intention of missing out, just because I had no one to take with me. It was a really enjoyable experience. Entertained myself with sudoku on my IPhone in between courses but mostly didn't need to since the wait staff were so attentive.

That said, I think nothing of having lunch or dinner in fine dining restaurants at home or away.

Will I feel like an idiot eating alone. Will I get the pity

looks? What have you guys experienced in traveling

alone? I really want to cruise solo and would like to

be able to enjoy the MDR but not at the expense of

my self esteem.

Feedback please.

Most all cruise ships are still communal dining. Unless you've requested a table for two and have requested to dine alone you will assigned a table seated with other guest at a table seating between 3-10 guests at a fixed time and fixed dining staff. I do believe that cruise lines try to seat other singles together, but no guarantees. You will get your table assignment at check in and you can confirm any specific dining request or changes with the Maitre'd on embarkation. If in a rare situation you do not like your table companions just request a table change with the Maitre'd. If you have requested flexible dining then you will seated at a table with other guests by the wait staff. If in the rare situation you do get seated alone then the staff will try to everything possible to make your dining experience a good one. Bring something to read - magazine, newspaper, book. No one will notice you or they might even ask you to join them. You also should be able to meet people during the cruise and maybe you can ask them to dine with you if both of you are in the flexible dining room. Rest assured you have nothing to worry about.

The two lines I cruise on have set MDR dining times and assigned tables. When I cruise solo I always ask for a large table with other passengers. It's the easiest way to meet new friends and enjoy both the food and the conversation, friends with whom you'll frequently share shore excursions and on-board entertainment. Sometimes my table mates have been other solos, couples or a mixture of the two. Rarely have any of them been anti-social or antagonistic.

I have dined in Olympic as a solo and was treated very well. The wait staff will give you special attention as a solo, so don't worry about that.

As for other meals, if you are having Traditional Dining, and you requested a large table, you won't dine alone.

On my two solo cruises I requested a large table in the MDR. People at the table were very friendly with me. On my second cruise I found out that I had been placed at a table for four earlier in the day. I requested that I be moved to a larger table. I was seated with 5 other couples and had a wonderful experience.

I would not hesitate to request a move.

For breakfast, I split my time between the buffet and the MDR. In the MDR you are also seated with other passengers. This was also invited conversation with tablemates. When eating in the buffet, I took a book.

Sometimes couples don't eat breakfast and lunch together. It is common to see people eating alone in the buffet. Especially at breakfast.

Janet

I have started to sail exclusively on NCL, which as you know, does not have assigned seating. My last cruise, I ate in the MDR for lunch each day and it was great. Most of the tables for two were by the windows so I had a great seat. I always bring a book with me as well. For dinner, I usually meet folks early on the the cruise and get invited to eat with them, but if not, I choose the buffet or eat in on of the specialty restaurants. I never have an issue. Plus, I like that the waitstaff pace my meal much faster (which I prefer) when I am solo.

Archived