Mayan Ruins w/ 3 year old...your choice?

cruisincarly

Hi all. We've got stops in Costa Maya and Belize City on NCL, and would really like to do a Mayan Ruin trip. Which would you suggest out of Altun Ha, Lamanai (both from Belize), Chacchoben or Kohunlich (Costa Maya)?

I like the ones in Belize that include boat rides, but they're really long (6-7.5 hrs)...tough for a 3 year old, perhaps.

Thoughts?

We're doing Lamanai in January with a just-turned 4 year old, ask me again when I get back ;)

Both our boys are very used to long car rides and are comfortable in boats at high speeds, this factored into our decision to go ahead with this excursion. DS2 no longer naps, but I'm betting he will fall asleep on the bus back to the ship. We're also "in training", in that we're practicing having him walk about a mile, so he's able to do most of the walking himself rather than us carrying him.

My son turned 5 on our last cruise. I took him to Altun Ha thru the ship.

The bus ride was ~45 min- he listened to his iPod and took pictures out the window. He was very happy to run around the open plaza, we climbed a little on the ruins but wore flip-flops so chose not to climb to the top.

We were back on the ship by lunch time. He was very excited to go back to school and show pictures and tell his class about it.

My son travels frequently and is content to listen to his iPod otherwise I probably would not recommend this trip for a younger child.

I assume you are asking about January? The weather should be ok for it. If it was in June with young kids, I would skip, since it would be very hot.

Keep in mind that it might be tough to find bathrooms when you need them, and 3 year olds can not always "wait".

If he enjoys the kids club I would leave him there and do Chocobean (Sp?) in Costa Maya. Take the early tour though the ship and then you will have time to get him and head to the beach for a few hours. You could take him to the ruins but it would be really boring for him. The bus ride is about 45 to 1 hour each way. This is the only one I would even consider taking him on.

If this was me I would either leave my 3 year old on the ship or I would pass on the excursion. Having done these tours before I do not think it would be good for a 3 year old. Just too heard on a child that age and even the parents who have to take care of the child.

Keith

Don't flame me!

I would say that you should follow your instincts. Every child is SO different- even within the same family! I am guessing you have a good little traveler, otherwise you would not have booked a cruise!

We have a two year old and four year old and are going on The Native Choice Mayan Experience tour that includes the ruins. They are great travelers and have experienced more in their short lives than most people will in a lifetime. It never even crossed my mind to not take them on the excursion. Am I naive, what part of the tour is concerning to everyone?

They are happy to be together as a family no matter what we are doing. They are also too young to be thinking "I wish they would have just left me on the ship;)" I would be more worried about taking a teenager on the trip!

We took our 2 DS's, then ages 6 & 9, on the Native Choice's Mayan Experience Tour which included the ruins tour and a lunch at a local village. Our 9 yr old who is more curious and interested in historical things really enjoyed the day, where as our 6 yr old was quickly bored and made things miserable for everyone until DH took him for a walk away from the tour group.

They both really enjoyed the luncheon which included a lesson in how to make authentic tortillas (which are nothing like what you can buy in store at home,) of course lunch, and a dance presentation. Their favourite part of the luncheon was the hibiscus tea and watching someone dance with a bottle on her head. There was also an opportunity to purchase some local handicrafts and I ended up buying a hammock from the woman who made it which makes it all the more special and meaningful.

It was great for the kids to see that not everyone lives in the same type of houses as we do and that some live in grass houses or in hurricane resistant cinder block structures. And to see that some people sleep in hammocks which take a month to make .

The tour is not really suitable for a stroller unless you are okay with missing parts of the tours and are willing to go around steps or areas with excessive tree roots and meet up with the group in another area. If you do decide to go, be sure to bring some snacks and amusements to keep your youngest occupied, and be prepared to leave the tour group if they become disruptive.

The tour itself was fantastic and was one of the most interesting and authentic guided tours that I have been on. The stories and family history of the tour guide (he grew up on the site of the ruins and it was his father who discovered that there were ruins buried under the tree covered hills) made it a fascinating day.

Think of the rest of the people on your tour. I certainly would not want to be on the tour with the 2 of you.

DON

Just curious? Why are you on the family cruising boards? We certainly would not want to be on the tour with you either. Someone who judges a family before meeting them? No thanks.

Our tour group is mostly almost entirely only people we are sailing with.

cantw8togo

Thank you for the excellent review, that is the same tour we are going on! I really appreciate your family perspective on the tour:)

Thanks for all your input. Our son is, indeed, a really good traveller and would probably have been fine on one of the shorter tours, but we've decided to postpone until such time as he might actually find it meaningful (and perhaps combined with a land-based vacation where we had more latititude to do things on our own timeframe). It came down to the fact that this is probably not our last chance to see Mayan ruins, basically.

HALrunner -- you know your kids, I'm sure y'all will have a great time.

Just curious? Why are you on the family cruising boards? We certainly would not want to be on the tour with you either. Someone who judges a family before meeting them? No thanks.

Our tour group is mostly almost entirely only people we are sailing with.

Thank you. I've been following this thread and thinking the same thing. If you want an adults only experience, then don't cruise on lines or do tours that accept children. Children are people, and like all people, there are some that are well behaved and others that are not. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Archived