Ladies: how many shoes do you take?

SwissMyst

Great thread, I love shoes! I'm planning only my second cruise. Can't remember what I took on my first Alaskan cruise but surely it included too many pair of shoes. It was cold and wet up there, and I was really glad to have had waterproof hiking shoes and waterproof rain jackets.

I'm guilty of taking not just one but two pairs of hiking shoes. Traveling + blisters = bad news. I've got Merril hiking shoes in waterproof and non waterproof versions, and will take both. The non-waterproof version does not weigh much but they do take up quite a bit of space but to me, it is so worth it to have an alternate pair of shoes to change into in case of a blister. And of course, if I had to abandon ship, I'd want to wear hiking shoes but geesh, I would go barefoot if I had to!

Otherwise, will probably will only take my black strappy dress heals and my every day black Dansko clogs. Someone check back with me when I'm packing and remind me I said this, please!?

I think Joanies slippers might be a nice addition to the mix!

For those of you that like to wear different dress shoes with each outfit you can get a slip-on that allows different tops to be snapped on. They are really handy to keep the space and weight down.

I have soles with 2 different heel heights from onesole dot com and umpteen tops, including strappies, clogs, and the "regular" tops. :) I did have to buy the sponge things to make the slap-slap sound stop

For a Mediterranean cruise, plus two weeks on trains, I took two pairs, comfortable but pretty Mary Janes and an old pair of sneakers that I left at my sister's house in Bordeaux France for use in her garden (made more room in the suitcase on the way back. I substituted French chocolates for the shoes!).

For Alaska I would take one nice pair and one pair of hiking boots

For the Caribbean I plan to take three pairs (one will be water shoes), And a pair of flippers.

This topic came up on another thread talking about packing and is where I start losing ground in both space and weight. Just curious -- how many pairs of shoes are you taking.

That is my toughest choice for bulk and weight. I try to keep my basics geared around black and cream/tan/taupe and then more color in tops and jackets to go with those basics.

Here is my own "minimum" and I would love to (and hope) add more:

1. rain/walking shoes

2. sandals walking shoes

3. black dress high heels*

4. gold flats

5. black espadrilles

6. beige espadrilles

7. black loafers

8. casual slides for around ship*

9. taupe low heels*

10. low black silk heels

* these will be the first to go if I can't take them all - so for me 7-10 pairs of shoes which on its face sounds ridiculous but when I sort it out seems like too small a variety for a 21 day cruise. Oh, dear. :(

I passed an open cabin door once to see a least a dozen pairs of highly decorative spike heels lined up against the entry way wall.

I wear a pair of sturdy black oxfords good for walking on tours and wearing around the ship. I pack a pair of flip flops (sturdy CROCS brand) and a pair of low heel black pumps. That's it.

I have soles with 2 different heel heights from onesole dot com and umpteen tops, including strappies, clogs, and the "regular" tops. :) I did have to buy the sponge things to make the slap-slap sound stop

That was an interesting website - the cork ones looked cute. Would you consider these "walking" shoes, like just around town or what one can run into during an active tour? Or, do you just use them on the ship for dress up and dress down?

Yes, I have the same problem with backless shoes. I never wear them now if I have to deal with stairs - that flap-flap drove me crazy. Please tell me more about what you put into them to stop that.

That was an interesting website - the cork ones looked cute. Would you consider these "walking" shoes, like just around town or what one can run into during an active tour? Or, do you just use them on the ship for dress up and dress down?

Yes, I have the same problem with backless shoes. I never wear them now if I have to deal with stairs - that flap-flap drove me crazy. Please tell me more about what you put into them to stop that.

Unfortunately I would not consider these walking shoes. More like office shoes or dress shoes. But they have such cute tops!

The sponge things they sell just stick to the shoe right under your heel. I think it just provides a cushion so the shoe does not directly hit your foot. The sound is greatly lessened but I would not say it stops the flap-flap sound.

Cat among the pigeons - what if the airline loses your luggage? It happened to me a year ago. For some reason DH and I had not mix and matched and I had no clothes for a week. The case was sitting in Toronto the whole time. Now I am wearing running shoes, have my flip flops and another pair of canvas shoes in my carry on and have a pair of black dress shoes in each suitcase.

I am so sorry that happened to you! I have long taken shoes in my carry on because I have HUGE, wide feet and no port would have any that fit! I wear a pair of slip ons for ease through airport security. Then I take my walking sandals (Merrells, also water- and beach-worthy) and my trainers, plus a pair of dress shoes (black). I also take a bathing suit in my carry on. (No way do I want to have to buy one at our departure port!) Plus we usually take a 'smart casual' outfit for dinner in case our luggage doesn't make it to us in time to change. My carry on is usually VERY heavy when heading cruising! My DH has to heft it into the overhead for me (which is against my own personal *rules* when traveling alone).

We also cross pack. I was so tempted to not cross pack last time because my DH is the world's best procrastinator, and I was tired of waiting on him (I DO NOT pack for him--EVER), but I was glad I waited when one of my suitcases was the very. last. one. to show up on the carousel. :eek: It was a reminder.

I always take too many shoes, but I have cute shoes I never get a chance to wear at home. And I am a serious overpacker. I bet I had 12 pairs of shoes on our last cruise. However, except for the lifting into the overhead, I do haul all of my own heavy, over-packed suitcases.:D

Robin

A pair of sneakers, and a pair of either oxford or loafer-type shoes. I wear one, and pack the other. Done.

Depending on the weather forecast of where I'm going, I might add another pair of casual shoes or sneakers in case one pair gets very wet and needs more than a day to dry out.

We just returned from an 18 day trip, I took 5 pairs, including what I wore on the plane, & realized that it was 2 too many. Basically I wore my ecco walking shoes, rainbow sandals, & ballet flats the entire time. My dress heels were worn twice for an hour & half at dinner on formal night. I immediately changed into my flats after dinner. Between DH & myself we had 1 26", one 20" carry on & two small duffels. It still was too much. Next time it'll be two 24" suitcases & maybe a small duffel that will fit inside one suitcase, we'll carry it on for an emergency.

I'm not a huge shoe person. I wear my sneakers, take two pairs of flat, fancy sandals that I wear with my long sundresses, a lower heel in gold and a high heel in pewter for my formal dresses, and a pair of flip flips and water shoes for when I go scuba diving. I took three pairs of the flat, fancy sandals on my 15-day cruise earlier this year, however.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't get below 5 for most cruises.

Evening shoes for formal night (I plan my dresses to go with the shoes, not the other way around)

Casual evening shoes (same as above

Athletic shoes for walking laps

Comfortable walking sandals or flats for port

One pair flip flops for pool. If I don't plan on going to a pool I don't take those along

I don't count slippers, but I do take a pair. They are flat spa slippers I got on the QM2 years ago, I leave them in the flat front pocket of my rollaboard.

Funny story about cutting back on shoes for a cruise. We went on a weekend cruise in inclement weather a few years ago. I wore a favorite pair of leather clogs, I'd had them for years. I took only those and dress shoes for evening.

On disembarkation day when we were waiting in the lounge, I looked down and saw that a piece of the woven leather was loose on one of my shoes. A few minutes later I looked and the other shoe had a loose weave. As we walked off the ship, more weaves came loose. By the time we made it to our car (less than 100 yards) my shoes were completely falling apart and I was dragging my feet.

At the time my husband thought it was a whole lot funnier than I did. I'm thankful it didn't happen the first day and I only had a pair of heels to wear on the trip. I've never been a fan of casual clothes worn with heels.

I usually take: black or metallic dressy sandals or slingbacks for formal/dressy evenings; a less dressy but nice pair of sandals or wedges for other nights and lunch in diningroom or specialty restaurants; comfortable walking sandals (such as Birks) for port and everyday; and a pair of flipflops for the pool. If we have a beach excursion, I take mesh water shoes. I like to pack light and plan my clothes to coordinate so everything does double duty.

I also try to coordinate outfits so I have to take as few shoes as possible, but I like to look and feel cute and to me shoes are part of the package. My upcoming 10 nights on Emerald in January is my longest cruise so far, and I've been looking in my closet and trying to plan out my outfits. So far, I plan on taking gold platform heels for formal nights, silver platform wedge sandals for most other nights, silver flip flops, gold flat sandals (Can you tell I like metallics? Really they go with everything!) running shoes (I'm always training for something, so that's non-negotiable) and my Nike super air cushioned flip flops. Then, depending on how much room I have, I would like to add my red platform heels to go with my black dress one formal night (if I don't have enough room I can wear the gold with the black) and a pair of brown wedge sandals (again depending on room and if I decide to pack something that just doesn't look good with the silver). So, for 10 nights, 6-8 pair of shoes. I normally wouldn't be caught dead in my running shoes unless I'm going for a run, but since we are taking a red eye this time, I am considering flying in a cute sweat suit and my running shoes to save baggage space. :)

I have it down to my critical 4 (pack 3 wear 1) - and that is saying a lot for me, I am a shoe HOUND. :o I refuse to wear anything that is uncomfortable or ugly. I have found what I think is perfection in these 4 that are both super comfy and super cute!

1 - Gold & Silver strappy wedge heel sandals by Sofft (these go with every color casual outfit, esp sundresses)

2 - Black Teva Wedge Heel Sandals (great for shore excursions or serious walking, they are what I wear on the plane)

3 - Black Satin Strappy High Heel Sandals with a Swarovski Crystal Buckle (3 inch heels, and they go with all the cocktail dresses that I bring)

4 - Silver Havaiana Flip Flops (these are for poolside & anytime the shoes above don't cover :))

1. Black Sandals

2. Gold Sandals

3. Silver/white sandals

4. Black heels

5. Gold heels

6. Silver heels

7. Nude heels

8. Tennis shoes

9. Silver flip-flops for beach/pool

Excessive? Maybe... but I could take more! I could also trim it down, but I don't want to have to sacrifice on vacation! :D

I wonder what the dress guidelines were for this particular sailing day - my former first ship goes down and notice how the passengers were dressed:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfPNbHENL3Q (3 minutes - warning music, yeah it is the theme from Titanic:()

Wow. even I am impressed. I can;t imagine how many shoes it would take to sink a cruise ship! ; -)

"Ladies: how many shoes do you take?"

Probably an even number would be best. :)

And for you can I just say "^5" and "over the door shoe pockets"!!

I am a total shoe slut. Hound would be too nice a word to use. Just ask the Spouse who graciously helps me haul all my baggage ; -) Not that I CAN'T haul it myself, I can, but he takes pity on me and lets me have the lighter stuff.

I am starting to plan for packing and at this point for an Alaskan 7 day plus 3 days in Vancouver I plan on;

Jodhpur boots (for hiking, excursions and sinkings)

Silver heels

Black pumps

Silver mules

Gold heels

Black Clarke slides (soft clogs/walking shoes)

Floral print sneakers

Brown loafers

I might be able to do with out the loafers... maybe...

The silver mules are for a dinner suit that maybe could go with the silver heels or the black pumps, but the mules take little room and really MAKE the look...

I'll wear the boots even though it's a pita taking them off for security.

So 11 days, 8 pairs. not bad.

I did 3 weeks in Europe with 5 but I didn't need boots (Venice isn't sinking THAT fast) and was able to make do with black pumps for the evening with everything...

Do slippers count??

Edited by sarafinadh

Our first cruise I took 6 pairs, over time I have figured out a way to cut it down. One pair of dressy shoes, one pair of sandals that can be worn with shorts or to the pool one pair of sandals for casual wear and I wear a pair of walking shoes on board. I guess when I spell it out like that I really haven't cut down very much have I. Hmmm:D

I am not at all a minimalist and I have no desire to be. As long as my luggage isn't heavier than it should be I'm fine. On my upcoming 7 day cruise I started with about 15 pair of shoes :eek: and I have recently got it down to 9 including sneakers and water shoes (going cave tubing in Belize and horseback riding in Roatan). I may be able to pull 2 pair but I have to organize my clothes again and see. If I can't no biggie. I like to look cute everyday not just when I'm home.

OP Do what makes you feel comfy I sure do:D!

Taking a lot more shoes and all else when we are here

already in FL and don't have to worry about airline weight restrictions, lost bags, wet bags , heavy bags, having enough in carryon to board with or if bags are held up or lost etc. Much more fun! But I am much less organized when leaving from here 'cause I just don't stress about it!