Ladies: how many shoes do you take?

SwissMyst

i ended up with a dozen pairs for my two week cruise including the croc-style i wore for travel and wore every pair and was glad for the choices--my feet not as swollen on this cruise as usual really felt good and very seldom did i utter 'my aching feet'!

• 1 year later...

I chose most of my outfits for my upcoming 5 day to go with a new pair of high black strappy sandals. But since they are new( Oh my goodness. what if they hurt my feet) So have to bring a back up lower sandal. Dressy silver shoes for formal night. flip flops and sneakers.

Realized I could probably bring a different pair of shoes for every outfit. Even if they would all be the same color. I am also a shoe hound. We'll see how this trying to pack light with less outfits.

When we cruise in May, I plan on taking 3-4 pairs. This is a huge downgrade for me, as I always pack too many shoes! I'm really going to try to stick with this, though.

1. Tan Rainbow brand flip-flops, which will be my go-to shoes for walking around the ship and in port, as they are incredibly comfortable. I know many people aren't flip-flop fans and prefer tennis shoes for comfort, but because the leather in these has molded to my foot, they are actually more comfortable to me than my tennis shoes. Bonus? If I get them wet at the pool or beach, they're fine. I've actually waded a creek with these on and they dried looking good as new!

2. Nude patent t-strap wedge sandals. These are nearly the same color as my skin (I'm very pale!) and will be worn on casual nights in the MDR with a sundress. They're dressier than flip-flops but not necessarily formal shoes... they're just a nice versatile sandal that is very easy to dress up or down.

3. Merrell Mary Janes. We have two adventure excursions planned where athletic/closed-toed shoes are recommended and I will be bringing these. They have excellent tread and are comfortable -- perfect for hiking through Belize and for zip lining!

**Bonus Shoe**

4. Black formal flats or wedges. These are a maybe, as it depends what formal dresses I can find. We are cruising Carnival and I know that people don't always go all out on formal nights, but I still want to dress up. I plan to find a couple of nice, chiffon maxi dresses that are appropriate with the right accessories. If I find these, then I will likely wear my nude sandals with them... they can be dressed up and besides, in a maxi dress, you won't really be able to see my feet. Otherwise, I will pair a pair of black shoes with a LBD. (And before I get flamed, I'm picturing maxi dresses similar to this. Less cleavage though: http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/559/5599740/42_2009/da/carrie_0.jpg)

Edited by iheartmarshall

My shoe choices depend so much on the itinerary.

I generally take a pair of sneakers, sport sandals for casual day wear.

For dinner, it is flats, dressier sandals and heels. I can easily end up with 8 pairs of shoes. If it is a warm weather cruise I have to add a pair of flip flops. DH gets off easy, his docksides and a pair of black dress shoes.

13 this trip (unless I decide that is unlucky and buy another pair:eek:).

1 pair pool shoes

2 pair sandals

1 pair keds

1 pair dressy flat sandals for when my feet are tired and/or swollen

1 pair black beaded flats

1 pair black heels 1 1/2 inches

1 pair silves heels 1 inch

1 pair gold slingback flats with bling on the front

4 pairs of everyday shoes (all flats)

I'm doing a 14 day South American cruise in January - weather will fluctuate from 80s to 45ish. :eek:

Hiking boots (wear on the plane)

Sneakers for workouts

Flat sandals

Flip Flops (for pool)

Casual black flats

Dressier black flats

(We aren't doing the formal nights, although I usually only take 1 pair of black mid-heel shoes for that)

I don't think that's too bad, although my husband is bringing hiking boots, sneakers & dress shoes (but he does bring more clothes than I do!);)

On my upcoming 7 night ovrr Christmas:

Riding boots (wear on embarkation), black heels, gold stappy sandals, silver strappy sandals, brown wedge sabdals, flip flops, 2 pair flat sandals, tennis shoes and 2 pairs of sperry boat shoes... Is that excessive? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

The easy answer is however many I need/want to bring. I would say in the range of 7-8 pairs? Last cruise it was as follows.

Fake uggs (wore to airport)

Teal slingback wedges

Orange flip flops

Silver flip flops

Black flip flops

Pink flat sandals

Black patent heeled sandals

Tan wedge thong sandals

Next time, it depends on the outfits. I'll probably need my silver heels for a couple dresses. My black heeled sandals again. 2-3 pairs of flip flops. Water shoes maybe. My slingback wedges. 1-2 pairs of flat sandals (I have nude, pink, black, brown with orange details) depending on my outfits. Most of them don't take up a lot of room though.

Hi Everyone!

How many shoes are too many shoes??! Next Wednesday I am leaving to Miami to stay for 3 nights, and then I will be going on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the NCL Epic. I haven't been on a cruise for 3 years and I just started sorting my clothes and shoes that I'll be bringing and this is what I have so far! Does anyone else pack this much? lol

• 8 Heels
  • 2 Wedges
  • 1 Flat
  • 6 Flat sandals
  • 2 Small Heel Sandals
  • 1 Running shoe

I definitely think I'm going to have to eliminate some of these shoes, but I'm not sure which ones yet. And I'm flying Southwest and with 2 free checked bags I don't have to worry about baggage fees.

For clothes, this is what I plan on packing:

• 8-10 Dresses (Maxi/Formal)
  • 8-10 dressy tops (to pair with jeans/capris)
  • 4-5 Jeans/Capris
  • 1-2 Workout outfits
  • 4 Light Jackets

Pics of shoes are below!

~Valencia

Shoes1.jpg

Shoes2.jpg

Hi Everyone!

How many shoes are too many shoes??! Next Wednesday I am leaving to Miami to stay for 3 nights, and then I will be going on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the NCL Epic. I haven't been on a cruise for 3 years and I just started sorting my clothes and shoes that I'll be bringing and this is what I have so far! Does anyone else pack this much? lol

• 8 Heels
  • 2 Wedges
  • 1 Flat
  • 6 Flat sandals
  • 2 Small Heel Sandals
  • 1 Running shoe

I definitely think I'm going to have to eliminate some of these shoes, but I'm not sure which ones yet. And I'm flying Southwest and with 2 free checked bags I don't have to worry about baggage fees.

• 4-5 Jeans/Capris
  • 1-2 Workout outfits
  • 4 Light Jackets

Pics of shoes are below!

~Valencia

Shoes2.jpg

Wow! Now I want to get more shoes for my cruise.:D

Hi Everyone!

• 8 Heels
  • 2 Wedges
  • 1 Flat
  • 6 Flat sandals
  • 2 Small Heel Sandals
  • 1 Running shoe

• 4-5 Jeans/Capris
  • 1-2 Workout outfits
  • 4 Light Jackets

Pics of shoes are below!

~Valencia

Shoes1.jpg

Shoes2.jpg

Just a thought, but you may want a pair of flip flops or sandals for the pool/beach. Or even just to throw on for a late night lido run!

Hi Everyone!

• 8 Heels
  • 2 Wedges
  • 1 Flat
  • 6 Flat sandals
  • 2 Small Heel Sandals
  • 1 Running shoe

• 4-5 Jeans/Capris
  • 1-2 Workout outfits
  • 4 Light Jackets

Pics of shoes are below!

~Valencia

Shoes1.jpg

Shoes2.jpg

Wow - I don't think I even own that many shoes!!! Is this your first cruise? LOL

I used to bring a lot but have pared it down - but of course I do not get 2 free suitcases full of stuff - but even if I did - I can't imagine bringing that many shoes (and I don't think there is room in the closet to store them all? ) :D

I am packing now for a 5 day cruise and 5 day land holiday - will be wearing my runners on the plane and packing - one pair high fancy wedges, two pairs fancy low flip flops, one pair also white and another hot pink....that should do it! :)

Space seems to ALWAYS be at a premium for me, so for my last cruise, I was very meticulously with planning outfits and shoes and even bough some new ones so I could be as versatile as possible.

Here's what I bought & brought:

Platinum Jack Rogers Navajo Sandal - These are great for casual outfits around the ship and go with the majority of my wardrobe.

Bronze/Gold Wedge Sandal - Wore these to dinner on most casual nights; the color lets them work with a lot of different outfits/colors.

Nude Pumps - Used these on both formal nights. I only wanted to bring one pair of pumps but my dresses were black and navy, so I had to choose a shoe that could go with both and these worked perfectly!

Sperry Topsider Boat Shoes - These are great walking shoes for excursions!

Running Shoes

Flip Flops

I usually wear the Jack Rogers sandals or the Sperrys on the plane and to board the ship, flip flops in my carry-on (in case I want to get some pool time in before the rest of my luggage arrives) and then the sneakers, wedges and pumps get packed in the luggage.

Edited by iCruise717

Just a question. How much are airlines charging for baggage? And what size is your carry on and how much can it weight?

I'm Australian but have flown to the US numerous times. Normally my interstate flights have been connecting flights so its all be included. Only once from Vegas to Seattle which wasn't part of a connecting flight that we had to pay for bags. The flight was quite cheap so the extra money was no big deal. At least for what i am used to.

In Australia our carry on can weight 7kg/ 15pounds and the size is about a 20 inch case. 1 carrier offers free bags the other two cost about $10-20 bucks. I figured the other airline just includes it in the cost. The airlines are pretty competitive with their prices i just add approx $20 to the ones that don't include bags and then pick the cheapest.

And to think I felt like I was over packing for bringing 5 pairs of shoes.

Heels

Sneakers

Ballet flats

Gold sandals

flip flops

Just a question. How much are airlines charging for baggage? And what size is your carry on and how much can it weight?

I'm Australian but have flown to the US numerous times. Normally my interstate flights have been connecting flights so its all be included. Only once from Vegas to Seattle which wasn't part of a connecting flight that we had to pay for bags. The flight was quite cheap so the extra money was no big deal. At least for what i am used to.

In Australia our carry on can weight 7kg/ 15pounds and the size is about a 20 inch case. 1 carrier offers free bags the other two cost about $10-20 bucks. I figured the other airline just includes it in the cost. The airlines are pretty competitive with their prices i just add approx $20 to the ones that don't include bags and then pick the cheapest.

And to think I felt like I was over packing for bringing 5 pairs of shoes.

Heels

Sneakers

Ballet flats

Gold sandals

flip flops

Most US airlines have about the same guidelines of carryons as in Australia. I think there is one low cost airline that charges for the carryon.:eek:

Checked bags usually have a 50 lb/22 kg limit. We paid $20 per checked bag last year on AirTran. I think that is fairly standard.

I think only 5 pairs of shoes is amazing!

Edited by Scrapnana

I found my answer from 2 years ago and it's still pretty much the same. Still 5 pair, including the ones I have on my feet at boarding. Although, now I'm not taking formal wear or cocktail dresses and am going to the specialty restaurants on formal nights. So the formal heels have gladly been replaced by more comfortable flats.

I thought I would miss the formal nights…but I don't :)

We don't dress like slobs, which is the objection I read on these boards regarding non-formally dressed people. More what I would call dressy casual. When we walk around the ship, I'm quite comfortable amongst the formal wearing people.

I think I prefer the simplicity of light packing over the overpacking I used to do. Select clothing and shoes carefully, quality over quantity works best for me.

1. Slippers for the cabin and hotel room - 1 pair

2. Sneakers - 1 pair

3. Dress sandals (short heel, black) - 1 pair

4. Casual sandals (flat heel, light tan) - 1 pair

and sometimes

5. An additional pair of sandals - either dress or casual, depending on the clothing I'm taking (dress would be short heel, brown; casual would be flat, brown) - 1 pair

I found my answer from 2 years ago and it's still pretty much the same. Still 5 pair, including the ones I have on my feet at boarding. Although, now I'm not taking formal wear or cocktail dresses and am going to the specialty restaurants on formal nights. So the formal heels have gladly been replaced by more comfortable flats.

I thought I would miss the formal nights…but I don't :)

We don't dress like slobs, which is the objection I read on these boards regarding non-formally dressed people. More what I would call dressy casual. When we walk around the ship, I'm quite comfortable amongst the formal wearing people.

I think I prefer the simplicity of light packing over the overpacking I used to do. Select clothing and shoes carefully, quality over quantity works best for me.

For me too--every time.....

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect question, as I am packing now. This selection gives me good rotation and variety, for 28 days of travel and cruising.

Flip flops for cabin/pool

Keen workout/walking shoes

white rhinestone wedge sandals

black rhinestone wedge sandals

tan patent slingback heels

black patent slingback heels

black rhinestone high high heels (for my long formal dress)