Cover Charge Restaurants

mit429

Hello,

I was having a debate with a few friends of mine and I'm curious as to if someone can help me out.

Do the cover charges at restaurants that have them (I've only ever cruised on NCL and RCCL), also partially pay for your waiter/asst. waiter/etc's gratuity for that meal?

Basically my friend was encouraging us to opt out of mandatory tipping, but also not additionally tip when we did eat at a specialty restaurant - as he insisted those staff are paid out of the cover charge.

HELP!

Hello,

I was having a debate with a few friends of mine and I'm curious as to if someone can help me out.

Do the cover charges at restaurants that have them (I've only ever cruised on NCL and RCCL), also partially pay for your waiter/asst. waiter/etc's gratuity for that meal?

Basically my friend was encouraging us to opt out of mandatory tipping, but also not additionally tip when we did eat at a specialty restaurant - as he insisted those staff are paid out of the cover charge.

HELP!

No, at least on HAL, the stewards serving in the alternative restaurants that have a fee, nothing in that fee goes to the serving staff. We always tip additional to those who serve us in Pinnacle and Tamiarind.

On HAL, if you remoe the automatic hotel service charge added to your shipboard account, any extra tips you give must be pooled. If you leave the hotel charge in place, anyone you tip over and above keeps it all, we are told.

Hello,

HELP!

On the 2 lines you listed, NCL and RCI, the tip is included in the cover charge. However, you will see a line on the bill that says "Additional Tip."

It is your choice if you want to add to it or not. Don't let another person tell you what to do. While the staff is covered by the charge, if you receive exceptional service and want to add a few dollars, that is totally up to you and there is nothing inappropriate about it.

Been awhile since I was on NCL, so I can't speak to that with certainty. On RCI a portion of the cover charge is a tip, I have no idea what the amount of the tip is the servers receive. We have always added a little extra to the cover charge, usually in the form of cash. The service and attention has always been worth it.

The cover charge is the tip...no additonal is needed. Most cover charges are in the $25-35 range per person....that's a pretty hefty tip..even for a "fine" restaurant!

Let's say a couple pays $60 in the "fee"...that means the bill for the meal would have to come to $300 (for 2 people) in order for you to extend a $60 tip.....That's a pretty high-priced restaurant!!! And, that doesn't include any alcohol you might drink...that's all billed separately and THAT includes tip!!!

The cover charge is the tip...no additonal is needed. Most cover charges are in the $25-35 range per person....that's a pretty hefty tip..even for a "fine" restaurant!

Let's say a couple pays $60 in the "fee"...that means the bill for the meal would have to come to $300 (for 2 people) in order for you to extend a $60 tip.....That's a pretty high-priced restaurant!!! And, that doesn't include any alcohol you might drink...that's all billed separately and THAT includes tip!!!

A portion of the cover charge is for the tip, but most of it goes to higher quality raw materials for your meal and for the extra effort that goes into cooking to order instead of mass produced meals like in the MDR.

It varies. On DCL only a small portion of the cover charge is the tip. Certainly not enough based on the exceptional service we received. Our meal at Remy was superb in terms of food, presentation, and service. I'd equate it to Victoria and Albert's or French Laundry which start at $125 and $200 per person respectively, so the $75 per person at Remy seemed quite reasonable. We left a $50 tip for our server over and above the cover charge.

Back to the OP, why would you opt out of the "mandatory" tip because you're going to eat all your dinners in the alternate dining venue? What about breakfast and lunch? What about your room steward?

That's what I said. He said he was tipping the room steward separately - which he did.

But even so, there was plenty of other wait staff around the ship who definitely deserved their portion of my mandatory tip for providing me good service!

That's what I said. He said he was tipping the room steward separately - which he did.

But even so, there was plenty of other wait staff around the ship who definitely deserved their portion of my mandatory tip for providing me good service!

So he's opting out of the auto fees and tipping only the cabin steward separately? He's not tipping any of the servers at any non-specialty restaurant meals?

Aside from that, you might want to tell him that when he opts out of the auto fee, it is noted on his account. Those serving him, especially the steward, will probably be quizzed as to whether their service is somehow substandard. As well, the cabin steward and anyone else he tips separately will be required to turn in those separate cash tips, which will be pooled along with all the auto fees. Crew members risk being fired on the spot if they do not turn in cash tips. When the auto fee has been left in place, those tips are returned specifically to that crew member; when it has been removed, those tips are pooled.

beachchick

Sounds to me like your friend is just plain cheap and trying to rationalize his/her cheapness.

You are right in your thinking. What about all of the staff that go out of their way to give good services.

Sounds to me like your friend is just plain cheap and trying to rationalize his/her cheapness.

You are right in your thinking. What about all of the staff that go out of their way to give good services.

I agree :)

There are soo many behind the scenes staff that the auto tip (hate that word,) I wish they would call it a mandatory service charge and make it so it can not be taken off, like a daily resort fee is added to Los Vegas hotels or Disney/land/World hotels.

Basically it sounds like your friend knows what he is doing is wrong and is trying to encourage you to do the same. Nice friend there.:mad::rolleyes:

Archived