All you can drink packages?

cruzmaven

I'd have to side with Purplecow on this one. If anyone ever did anything that tacky in the dining room of an Oceania ship, I'd like to think that the disapproval of the passengers sitting around them would outweigh the savings on their bar bill.

Personally guys, I dont think anyone would be rude enough to say anything BUT I have never seen anyone do that so I really think it is a non problem!!

Jancruz1

I'd have to side with Purplecow on this one. If anyone ever did anything that tacky in the dining room of an Oceania ship, I'd like to think that the disapproval of the passengers sitting around them would outweigh the savings on their bar bill.

We've only witnessed it once, about 5 years ago, and never experienced it since. At that time, one lady obviously was taking empty wine glasses back to her room and returning with them refilled. No one I was aware of ever said a word, but several sets of eyes were cast heavenward!!

A lot of the people that don't want the package deal--you'll see them bring in a glass of wine from their rooms,than half way thur dinner getting up and going back to their room for another glass to bring back. You see that a lot and it's sad they think anything is wrong in doing it.

So good for Oceania!

I will chime in too

I have never seen that happen on Oceania ..some bring drinks from the bar from Happy Hour but I have not seen anyone leave with an empty glass & return with a full one :eek:

Maybe on other lines this happens a lot

I will chime in too

I have never seen that happen on Oceania ..some bring drinks from the bar from Happy Hour but I have not seen anyone leave with an empty glass & return with a full one :eek:

Maybe on other lines this happens a lot

Maybe it's a function of how close their cabin is to the dining room? :rolleyes:

Heck, I'm too busy eating to chase back and forth; sometimes I forget to drink the wine right in front of me.

Maybe these are the same rare folks who post that they didn't care for the food; after all that wine it explains a lot.

You all just gave me a great idea! Never thought of it before. Refill my drinks in my room. Perfect! Just kidding but I still think the drink packages are overpriced for me and I like to drink ( but only in the evenings). I guess if I was a day and night drinker it would be worth it. I'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.

I do not see what all the fuss is about

If the package works for you... buy it

If you are a light drinker ....then just pay as you drink ;)

it will work for some people but not all of the people.

Lyn

Wow - I didn't realize that the drinks were so expensive on this line.
I'd like to disagree on this point.

There are a number of options for saving money on drinks on Oceania.

1) Unlike most lines, you can bring alcohol on board to consume in cabins [or for the special bottle (with $20 corkage) to enjoy in one of the restaurants.]

2) Happy Hour - very generous with their terms. We usually only like the one drink before dinner, so I was very pleasantly surprised that we were charged 1/2 price for my 1 glass of bubbly ($3.47) and 1/2 price for DH's 1 beer ($2.50 Heineken Draft)

3) Happy Hour - not only includes 2 for 1 drinks but don't forget there are at least 3 cocktails of the day at around $4.25 - choices change daily. Where else can you get a cocktail for $4.25?

4) First time cruisers with Oceania don't qualify for Captain's cocktail party to welcome returning guests but there were at least 4 other occasions where Oceania supplied free drinks. (on 18 night cruise)

5) At least 2 opportunities to buy discounted wine to be stored in your "account" for restaurants - with some very good deals.

If I have left anything out, I'm sure someone who has travelled more than me will add to this list.

I must admit I went on my first cruise expecting shocking prices after reading similar threads but I was pleasantly surprised. You can save quite a lot without going to any effort.

I'd like to disagree on this point.

There are a number of options for saving money on drinks on Oceania.

1) Unlike most lines, you can bring alcohol on board to consume in cabins [or for the special bottle (with $20 corkage) to enjoy in one of the restaurants.]

2) Happy Hour - very generous with their terms. We usually only like the one drink before dinner, so I was very pleasantly surprised that we were charged 1/2 price for my 1 glass of bubbly ($3.47) and 1/2 price for DH's 1 beer ($2.50 Heineken Draft)

3) Happy Hour - not only includes 2 for 1 drinks but don't forget there are at least 3 cocktails of the day at around $4.25 - choices change daily. Where else can you get a cocktail for $4.25?

4) First time cruisers with Oceania don't qualify for Captain's cocktail party to welcome returning guests but there were at least 4 other occasions where Oceania supplied free drinks. (on 18 night cruise)

5) At least 2 opportunities to buy discounted wine to be stored in your "account" for restaurants - with some very good deals.

If I have left anything out, I'm sure someone who has travelled more than me will add to this list.

I must admit I went on my first cruise expecting shocking prices after reading similar threads but I was pleasantly surprised. You can save quite a lot without going to any effort.

This sounds very reasonable to me. Do you think they will still allow bringing on your own liquor after they start offering the Beverage packages?

I disagree with this statement

The Captain's welcome party ..ALL passengers are welcome

The PAST GUEST party is just that for past guests only

I have seen many past guests bring friends to the gathering

No one checks the invitations to see if you are a past guest

Lyn

This sounds very reasonable to me. Do you think they will still allow bringing on your own liquor after they start offering the Beverage packages?

Time will tell

I do hope not

Not that we are big drinkers but DH does sometimes enjoy a drink in the cabin

... Do you think they will still allow bringing on your own liquor after they start offering the Beverage packages?

I'm certain they will. The liberal policy has never before been based on profit or sales, as on other lines -- it has always been a matter of Oceania treating their guests as responsible adults. I don't see why offering a new option should change that -- after all, the drink packages are only an option -- they aren't mandatory. These new packages will be in addition to long standing policy.

I disagree with this statement

The Captain's welcome party ..ALL passengers are welcome

The PAST GUEST party is just that for past guests only

I have seen many past guests bring friends to the gathering

No one checks the invitations to see if you are a past guest

Lyn

Lyn, she didn't say Captain's welcome party. She said, "4) First time cruisers with Oceania don't qualify for Captain's cocktail party to welcome returning guests but there were at least 4 other occasions where Oceania supplied free drinks. (on 18 night cruise)." I have myself brought a first time guest (my DH) to the past guest party. I've found that on O they don't take names, there's never a dress code check and you never need a hall pass. It's a line for grown-ups and as long as you're behaving like one you'll be treated likewise.

Lyn, she didn't say Captain's welcome party. She said, "4) First time cruisers with Oceania don't qualify for Captain's cocktail party to welcome returning guests but there were at least 4 other occasions where Oceania supplied free drinks. (on 18 night cruise)." I have myself brought a first time guest (my DH) to the past guest party. I've found that on O they don't take names, there's never a dress code check and you never need a hall pass. It's a line for grown-ups and as long as you're behaving like one you'll be treated likewise.

Yes agree the Captains party for past guests is only for them but I am sure DH or DW are included I was referring to other 1st time guests that are not related to the past guest

just nit picking

Wow, all beverages on the bar menu! Of course, most of the single malts I was drinking weren't actually on the menu but were physically in the bar - I was pleasantly surprised to find a 16 yr old Lagavulin in stock amongst others so at $18/pour those add up quickly :D

I don't suppose anyone has any idea if "non-bar menu" drinks are treated in a similar manner? Since this program hasn't even started yet likely nobody knows but thought I'd ask just in case...

The $49.95 package is certainly more than just beer and wine, thank goodness. The description that I'm reading is:

includes beer and premium house wine (from a selection of red and white vintages that change daily), all beverages on the bar menu (except Remy Martin Louis XIII cognac) and room service beverages (but not mini-bar selections).

Wow, all beverages on the bar menu! Of course, most of the single malts I was drinking weren't actually on the menu but were physically in the bar - I was pleasantly surprised to find a 16 yr old Lagavulin in stock amongst others so at $18/pour those add up quickly :D

I don't suppose anyone has any idea if "non-bar menu" drinks are treated in a similar manner? Since this program hasn't even started yet likely nobody knows but thought I'd ask just in case...

You're right! No one knows yet what the actual conditions of these new plans will include. However, it appears that the first plan, for $29, will include drinks during dining and certain specified wines. I think it would be safe to say that the "labels" included will be basic "bar" liquors and wines. In other words, no premium brands or 75 yr. old Single Malts.

The second plan, advertised at $49, will take you up a notch to certain designated labels, the better ones, and a specific group of better wines. And with this plan, there does not appear to be any restricition at to when you may have drinks from the classification.

For more complete information, suggest you wait until the rules are published by Oceania.

I am guessing the 18+ yr old scotch will not be included but just a guess :D

From Oceania's announcement

The second option, Open Bar, priced at $49.95 per guest, per day, includes beer and premium house wine by the glass and most beverages on the bar menu.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/mediacenter.aspx

• 3 weeks later...
You can get a decent bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon for $45 which includes the 18% tip. If you do not finish the bottle, it will be stored and be available at any of the dining venues on the ship.

Don

Not only the dining venues. Anyplace on the ship ;)

I just came across an old statement (2010) showing our bar drinks

The price for a G & T was around $8 with 18% & $9.44 with 18% for premium Gin

So you only need to have 5-7 drinks a day to break even ;)

I only drink red wine and I'd rather pay more for a glass or bottle that I like than drink a wine I don't care for. Nothing makes me angrier than going to a restaurant and having to pay $12 or so for a glass of wine that I don't enjoy.

Archived