Very Negative Azura Review

bearded gent

I just have to post a comment on the review posted by PAULA CONSTABLE on the review section. She states that she sailed November 2011 and if she was on the same cruise as we were then she must have been in a tug being towed behind us. I shall be posting my review at the weekend but would just like to say that for our first trip with P&O we were highly delighted with the staff, food, cabin and even the mix of passengers. I am not sure what she is used to but I imagine that in comparison to the American ships where the waiters are working their socks off for that big fat tip she will notice a difference. We used the buffet on most days for lunch or afternoon tea and never had a problem with finding a clear/clean table or shared one with other people. I could go on but will leave the rest for my review.

There are issues with that type of ship compared to the older ones that I will explain shortly.

First I have been on Azura and can confirm that it does fit into the P&O fleet and has the same standards of food and entertainment compared to the other ships. The attitude of staff is the same on all P&O ships I have been on. The food is the same and so is the entertainment.

What people are finding difficult about Azura is extreme over crowding. The people who find this have normally sailed many times and have been on the original Grand class.

Azura is a Grand class ship - the first designed and built for Princess that entered service first back in 1998. The ship was designed to cater to 2,600 passengers.

Over the years 9 ships of this type have entered service with Princess and 2 with P&O.

Around 2004 a major change was made to these ships and this was the addition of an extra passenger deck taking passenger capacity from 2,600 to over 3,000. While the ship got an extra deck there were no new rooms added to improve space.

The reason why these ships Ventura, Azura, Caribbean Princess, Crown Princess, Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess get negative reviews is because these are the ships built with the extra deck.

It is normally passengers who have sailed on the earlier version that are disappointed the most.

In my opinion they are a brilliant ship to sail on with excellent facilities and plenty of public rooms giving more choice of things to do. I prefer the smaller version.

The most common complaints I have seen about these larger ships are:

queuing for the theatre

queuing for a dinner table

lack of deck chairs

over crowding

I just have to post a comment on the review posted by PAULA CONSTABLE on the review section.

She is obviously used to much better !

I feel sorry for her having to mix with us folks who are more used to holidays at Butlins.

I thinks it another example of a passenger who has one issue that sparks off a mind set to look for the negative in absolutely everything from then on. Literally eveything was poor in her opinion. Anyway, at least we wont risk encountering her on future cruises.

Oh Dear i was getting rather worried about my cruise next year on Azura. Good job i have read every review going and will decide for myself when i get on. Its amazing how two people can get on the same ship and one constantly moans and the other loves it. Thank goodness some people give a proper review and dont base the facts on their bad mood. The lady complaining had obviously got off to a bad start with having to pay extra for her flight. Roll on September next year when i can see for myself.:)

Oh Dear i was getting rather worried about my cruise next year on Azura. Good job i have read every review going and will decide for myself when i get on. Its amazing how two people can get on the same ship and one constantly moans and the other loves it. Thank goodness some people give a proper review and dont base the facts on their bad mood. The lady complaining had obviously got off to a bad start with having to pay extra for her flight. Roll on September next year when i can see for myself.:)

Good for you, that's how it should be. We've probably all seen some ignorant behaviour on cruises one time or another, sunbed reserving, queue jumping, pushing in to the lift before others get the chance to exit etc. However we would never let it spoil our own experience, just let them get on with it while you get on with enjoying yourself.

I just have to post a comment on the review posted by PAULA CONSTABLE on the review section. She states that she sailed November 2011 and if she was on the same cruise as we were then she must have been in a tug being towed behind us. I shall be posting my review at the weekend but would just like to say that for our first trip with P&O we were highly delighted with the staff, food, cabin and even the mix of passengers. I am not sure what she is used to but I imagine that in comparison to the American ships where the waiters are working their socks off for that big fat tip she will notice a difference. We used the buffet on most days for lunch or afternoon tea and never had a problem with finding a clear/clean table or shared one with other people. I could go on but will leave the rest for my review.

I am glad you wrote this as i was dismayed after reading Madam Constables review. we are 1st timers going on Azura on 6th Jan 2012. I thought what have we let ourselves in for, then i read your comment & checked a couple of others & feel much better now. pheww!!! What i would like to say is madam Constable sounds nothing more than a Stuck up, whining person. & is probably trying to get a free holiday out of P&O. Also i think the ship got the better of her by saying all the top dining places were fully booked every night. After all if you have to pay a supplement you don't want to be sitting near some moaning, miserable person. I can't wait fot my cruise now;)

... Also i think the ship got the better of her by saying all the top dining places were fully booked every night. After all if you have to pay a supplement you don't want to be sitting near some moaning, miserable person.

This is exactly what I thought about the speciality restaurants. ;)

By the way, welcome to Cruise Critic Jan61

We were on Azura this last March in the Caribbean and we were concerned as to whether we would find her too big. We had previously been on Oceana, Arcadia, the old Adonia, Artemis and Oriana. Well we had a fantastic time and enjoyed the ship so much we have booked again for the Med. next year. We did not find the ship overcrowded and we had no trouble in seeing the shows. We were on 2nd sitting and were pleased that some of the shows had three performances each evening - one at 7.15pm in addition to the two usual times. This meant we could go to the show before dinner and then do something else afterwards.

I'm not sure if the review mentioned here is the same one I read on cruise. but if not it's certainly along the same lines. I really cannot believe that everything on a cruise can be dreadful. We have our 12th cruise coming up - 9th with P&O and have had two with Fred Olsen and one with Cunard. P&O are still our favourites but we have never had a bad cruise.

For those going on Azura, go with a positive frame of mind and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Carole

For those going on Azura, go with a positive frame of mind and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Thanks for this ... I too am going on Azura for the first time. Leaving on 6 January like the poster above. I have cruised on RCI and Celebrity before but decided to try P&O for our first Caribbean cruise.

I have read the negative comments but they appear to be in the minority. The positive comments I have read far outweigh them negative ones.

Everyone to themselves I say ... Me and hubby are soooo looking forward to this cruise - we've waited long enough since we booked it! So what if the ship is big ... more nooks and crannies to explore! We are lucky enough to be able to see the ships in dock as we live close to Southampton and they look wonderful!

Roll on January .... :D :D :D :D

K xxxx

I disagreed with every word of this review. We've sailed with a variety of lines and Azura is one of our favourite ships. We loved her so much after we sailed on her in Summer 2011, we booked a 2012 cruise as soon as we got back. The entertainment was fantastic and there was a great range of bars; we met really lovely people; the food was enjoyable in the MDR; our cabin was one of the biggest and best designed we'd ever had; and finally we never had the least bit trouble finding a sun lounger, away from the main pool areas.

I am not an IDIOT and I am certainly better at spelling and grammar than the reviewer. (miaow, miaow, but sorry as I object to someone calling me and people like me an idiot.). I am like many of the people who sail on P&O and who post on this site: we're reasonable, hard-working, gregarious, discerning people who enjoy the good things in life - like a P&O cruise!!

Hi. I didn't like Azura BUT that was NOT because of the staff, service, food etc. We did find her very crowded, no covered pool, so when weather was inclement she was crowded inside. Big problem with deck chairs. Also, had to wait 30 minutes in 90 degree heat to get back on board - big queues getting on and off. She wasn't for us. Too big and too noisy with the seascreen at full volume.

Service and food was just as good as any other P&O ship and we also enjoyed the lounge bar at the top, name escapes me. It was very nice with very good bar staff.

Jean

Well I love Azura, and after 13 cruises in 5 years and having been on all the present fleet thats just my opinion. Believe hers or mine LOL.:D

One comment... she makes

''Tried to book Sindu and 17 at the end of first week but told no tables left for the rest of the cruise. Tried to book Verona and told the same. ''

Well, she left it too later didn't she!! As I've said hundreds of times on this forum, 'on the day of embarkation book supplement restaurants'' then you'll get in. There are thousands of people on Azura leaving it till 'the end of the 1st week (probably 6 days before end of the cruise) was a bit late to expect to get a table. Same applies for The Retreat.

Didn't think you booked Verona - thought it was an Italian buffet evening?

It's in a separate part of the buffet, set out with tablecloths creating quite a nice cosy restaurant feel. The meals are waiter served.

You can't book in advance; you turn up and try for a table. It gets very busy. They will try their best to seat you if possible. Very nice, buzzy atmosphere.

Has anybody occupied R407 on Riviera Deck? It is one of only six OA inside Staterooms on the ship

Hi I was in R331 an OB inside stateroom, which is close to R407. I had no problems with my cabin and a half a ship walk to the aft of the ship where the terrace bar and pool was. I loved it there on my recent transatlantic cruise at the end of October//November.

You are also quite near to the laundry - the den of gossip

Regards

Jo

having just read this review i'm absolutely fuming. Who does this woman think she is. We found Azura wonderful could not fault anything. For this woman to call the other passengers miserable po-face idiots and primark loyalty customers from butlins one word for her "get a life". I work hard for my holidays i'm not miserable and no primark loyalty customer and have never been to butlins.

To sum up don't let this review put you off, we loved Azura and P&O, we have been on RCI but P&O to us is best.

Archived