Going to Alaska on May 12

rwams

I'm going to be a neophyte Alaska cruiser a few weeks after you, rwams, and now I'm even more excited to know that seasoned Alaska cruisers specifically chose May for their cruise! I am hoping for some of that beautiful weather, canadianbear. Only five more months! :)

I'm going to be a neophyte Alaska cruiser a few weeks after you, rwams, and now I'm even more excited to know that seasoned Alaska cruisers specifically chose May for their cruise! I am hoping for some of that beautiful weather, canadianbear. Only five more months! :)

We will taking our third Alaska trip in four year on May 13th on the Oosterdam. We originally were going to sail on the Westerdam the day before but because of timing, we chose the next day.

However we are sad we will not be on the Westerdam for the fourth time. It's our favorite HAL ship and we were on her last in May of this year.

We've always gone in May, as a friend who lives in Juneau suggested that month for the best weather. In May of 2009, it was 81 degrees in Seattle and when we got to Juneau and Ketchikan, it was in the 70s. I bought T-shirts the entire trip because all I had was long sleeve shirts. In May of the following year, it was a little colder. But for the 14 total days, 10 were sunny and it only rained for a few hours in Sitka.

Enjoy your cruise, Alaska is amazing!

I hear ya, rwams. I've got four under my belt and am already dreaming about #5;)! Have a wonderful time!

Alaska will get under your skin! We took a Southern Caribbean last February after 6 straight years of Alaska cruises. Guess where we going this June?

While others have posted of the great weather they had on their trips in May, I want to forewarn you to take a raincoat and umbrella to be prepared for rain every day. We left Seward on May 11th a few years ago, and it rained every single day of the cruise, except the day in Glacier Bay. And crossing the Gulf of Alaska, was a terrible storm. We were on the bottom deck, and I was so scared with the water up over the windows. Sitka, and Juneau were seen through drizzle and misty conditions and on to Ketchikan where it was actaully pouring. So much so, my husband just stayed on the ship, while I did do a short local van tour of Ketchikan, then back to the ship.

So hope for good weather, but be prepared for anything.

Hi Sam:D! Knew you couldn't stay away from AK. Glad you're headed back. I'm still trying to think of just one good reason that I need to go again in 2012, but STILL go in 2013 as well. DH doesn't have the vacation time w/a new job, and I'm not so sure he'd be quite as accomodating if I went on my own again in 2012 without him!

• 2 months later...
We just booked our first ever cruise on the Westerdam to Alaska May 12th!

We have no idea what we are doing, so look for the confused middle aged couple wandering around, probably lost...

I love Alaska-hope you have a wonderful trip greenhornUSA. Make sure you have a big memory card for your camera-such gorgeous scenery to see.

We have gone in May and luckily it was so warm we could wear shorts. But, as someone else said, be prepared for rain and cold too.

We'll be with ya'll on this cruise. We're doing the Reposition from Ft Lauderdale and then staying on for Alaska, 24 total days. I have not been back to Alaska since I left in 1969 while stationed in Kodiak in the Coast Guard. Have been to many many Alaska ports and looking forward to returning. We are also on the CC Alaska thread and the FB thread, come join us.

Mike and Linda

Columbus, Ohio

Lots of new baby animals are just emerging from their winter homes in May and can be seen on the wing and swimming in the cold water. May is the best time to see all of those new baby whales as they frolic and eat. It is also the best time to experience the snow-capped peaks of Hubbard Glacier while dressed in short-sleeved shirts and having a cookout on the Lido deck. All of those college students from Utah are just arriving to work on the excursions for the summer and just learning how to interact with the cruise passengers. Visiting the sled dog camps will get you a ride on real snow instead of on wheeled sleds.

We have been to Alaska in both May and September with May being the best choice IMHO.

Welcome to Alaska. It is certain that you will want to return.

In spite of last year's most unusually stormy weather, I still prefer Alaska in September. Our first two trips - always the last one of the season - we had great weather, warm and sunny. Last year - well, we discovered we are great sailors during hurricane-force winds:eek: But I'll still pick September next time.;)

I love Alaska and could go every year, if only my husband would agree.

The year we went in May the weather was so beautiful you could wear shorts. Have a great birthday and great cruise!

When we went in May of 2010 on Amsterdam's first time for the 14 day cruise, the weather was glorious. Fourteen days of sunshine. The crew said it was unheard of to have that much sunshine. Although it had rained in the early morning hours in Ketchikan, the sun was out by the time we left the ship at 10am and we never saw rain again the rest of the cruise.

We loved every minute of that Alaska cruise and would love to return on another Alaska cruise if we could squeeze the budget, but alas no.

Just booked a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Westerdam May 12, 2012 for my birthday gift. This will be my 3rd trip to Alaska, just cant seem to keep away. :)

We can relate to that. We leave the day after you on the Oosterdam for our third Alaska cruise in four years. We decided to take a break last year and did a partial repo on the Westerdam to Vancouver. We both realized then we made a mistake on not going back to Alaska.

We were booked on the cruise you were on, but had to change due to the fact our dog sitter would be back in town until the following day. We have been on the Westerdam three times and it is one of our favorite ships.

Have fun!

I love Alaska and could go every year, if only my husband would agree.

The year we went in May the weather was so beautiful you could wear shorts. Have a great birthday and great cruise!

We have a friend who lives in Juneau advise us to come in May because there would be the possibility of less rain and less fog. Not knowing how to pack, we brought a wardrobe we could layer. But when we arrived in Seattle in May of 2009, it was 81 degrees. I had to buy T-shirts and short sleeve shirts in Juneau and Ketchikan. It was sunny the entire trip albeit for a few hours of rain in Sitka. Temps never got below 60 degrees in the daytime. The following year, it was a bit cooler, but still had sunshine most of our trip.

We've had good luck in May, that's why we're going back again in 10 weeks.

Archived