Live-Mariner December 4 Ft Lauderdale round trip

purpleally

Wendy, I think hurricane season official finishes Dec 1 but its give or take a few days in actual fact.

I think I'm just jinxed in that area: first time we missed Princess Cay and many folks seasick. And coming back up from SA, same time of year, I was the one seasick among the large swells.

Wendy, I am jinxed with respect to Hubbard Glacier - been on two Alaska cruises but havent been able to see. Last year Mr Galczy said they had never missed it but had to eat his words the next day!

OK- I'll jump in. As stated earlier, first night's dinner in Signatures was great. Last night Captain's welcome party and dinner in Compass Rose. We both had the lobster and it was just average. A little dry and over done. Seas have calmed down a bit. Looking forward to another great meal tonight at Signatures.

Aloha,

Al

Ok, Nevi..you asked for it. All good things! We'll, not all, but a wonderful time so far. Typed this (below) last night but didn't get chance to post.

I’m the idiot who dared the roiling sea gods, and they’re handing it back, and how. Honestly, not as rough as the Navigator last year, but we were coming in the last couple of days then and I had my sea legs, and most of the big seas were overnight then…one night. Here, the great tenor ocean (high Cs J ) starting big and have not let up, front to back and side to side. I get cocky with my gait on level 7, then saunder on up to 11 or 12 and have to re-learn quickly. Still, we’ve done this, so I get to be a little smug and miff-miff when hearing some wind/sea complaints. Even last night at 4:30am, my wife asks if that door banging open and closed was our shower-stall door… ‘of course not, honey…you know I secured everything…just some neighbor who hasn’t had this type experience’, said I. I was up anyway, and quietly secured our shower-stall door…coincidentally, the neighbor must have done the same, as the banging stopped. ;) Good neighbors are hard to find. So Nevi, you may have chosen well to put this cruise off, if vertigo was an issue.

My swagger in a storm has been replaced by a ‘I’m fine if I’m sitting, walking some is good, walking a lot gets me slightly woosy, but not too bad’. Wind/seas are supposed to settle down a great deal tomorrow, from then on.

So, quick embarkation note… taxi ride to port, and embarkation was ok..arrived at 11:45am, fair crowd already…surprised me. At 12:08-ish, the first row stands, invited to head to the next room, so all rows stand and funnel in…to the big line where they register us. We were at the back of that first wave, and it was slow-going…but it seemed to be computer-slow related, so it was fine. Still, some were a little peeved at the ‘cattling’. I just had a giant grin, knowing that in a few minutes, an ocean would be waiting with open arms. Met a very nice couple in line…married at age 3, amazingly enough, as they were celebrating 62nd anniversary on this cruise and couldn’t’ve been more than mid-60s. Anywho, onward…crossing the gangplank at 12:55pm…glass of champagne, quick drop off of carry-on to room (guilty…we weren’t trouble, I swear…just drop and run, out of the way…), then exploring and snacking at La Veranda later. Rooms ready at 2:30…muster at 4:15 (a bit more involved than I expected…had to wait in the lounge, then afterwards walk out to the area where the little-saving-boats (sorry to be so technical here) were hovering overhead…waited there for a good 15-20 minutes…all-in-all, a 40 minute process).

Weary after our last Compass Rose long-waits-un-hot-food (previous cruise, Navigator) experiences, so we hoped to find the waiter/waitress to make our dining dreams come true. We did…Marijana (sp…pronounced Mary-yana)…cares as much about our meal as we do. Nice, focused, yet unobtrusive. If the kitchen misses something, she doesn’t, and fixes promptly. We feel well taken-care-of. The head waiter is great…quality and friendly…runs a nice restaurant/experience...works hard..does the big and little things to make everything perfect...and I’m kicking myself for not remembering his name right this second…will post it later (got it today... David Los Santos, if I recall correctly...kudos!). They’ve made the first two dining nights perfect (and they were both working La Veranda at lunch…not a lot of down time for these folks). Had to give them a shout-out.

Food has been very good, sometimes great….meets with expectations. Our stewardess, Oka, is amazing…guess they all are…how do they do it all, I don’t want to think about.

Only read 8 pages of my super-novel today…should be on page 200 by now, per my schedule. Oh well. Other notes… Coffee Connection is ALL THAT! Nice snacks, great coffees/teas. And when the ‘baristas’ are off duty, the espresso/cap/latte machine (and hot water for teas) is just fine…24/7…just punch the button of choice and magic happens. Poolside grill has looked great and smelled great, but we haven’t succumbed yet (other than pistachio ice-cream…very good!). We haven’t done any shows yet…I’m not a show fan, but will try. I’m not much of an excursion fan either, but wife is making me sometimes….the boat is my destination. Art row isn’t intrusive…just there to walk past. Library was kinda lacking, IMO, but my preference is a list of classics…an ok amount of books, but more modern…lots of biographies, though. DVD choice in library wasn’t overly good, but then we didn’t browse until late the first night and lots of selections may have been taken. The in-room movies are an ok list of old and newer choices (Bridesmaids, King’s Speech, Godfather, etc) along with a few episodes each of TV shows (Mad Men, King of Queens, 2 ½ men, Curb your Enthusiasm, etc.)…165 choices in all. The tv-channels are ok (news, ship news)…love the menus-on-tv channel, and ship activities channel. Nice tv-interview with Alex, the internet guy, on exactly how to set up your account, so that was helpful. Room service breakfast (and late night snack) has been flawless.

Will have to mention the one negative…there’s a sewer smell in the hall at the back third of the boat on the 7th floor, at least on the odd-number side. This was slight in port, got worse once underway, and has been unbearable at times. Maybe there level of stench is worse due to the rocking boat, so we’ll survive until smooth(er) seas before we make a stink (hee hee) about it, but it can’t all be blamed on the rocking. (Still there today, in port, and afterwards, although better. The bad part comes and goes...very, very not good. Stays in the hall for the most part, but we have to open the door sometime. Starts at the elevator entrance on back (odd number...maybe even too? I haven't walked over to that hall). We haven't complained yet, but many have, and we will if it doesn't get better.)

Guess that’s about it (I know…enough already! Sorry, I get long-winded). Just very thrilled to be here…lots of great people (met lapeter yesterday when I overheard him trying to track his luggage…very nice couple...angels of grace, actually, considering what they were possibly facing with no luggage…thank goodness it all worked out!)…no complainers or bad attitudes that I’ve seen yet. We met another couple and are eating dinner together, which is only remarkable if you know me...usually I only want dinners for 2. Fun people, beautiful ship...Happy times!

PS. Wines (daily pours) are fine, not spectacular and could be better, but fine to drink with dinner. Attended a wine-tasting today and have an eye on a purchasable bottle for this evening.

And more English-speaking/understanding staff than we had on Navigator last year...helps when special-ordering food, etc.

And Magicjack does indeed work (someone tell the guy who asked that a couple of weeks ago here). One dropped call, but works about as well as regular phone here does when needing the sat. connection. Small delay, as expected (takes a second to go to space and back...I should complain!). Alex (internet guy) said they do not block VOIP (as some lines do), but it can be spotty since Skype, etc. can use lots of bandwith.

OK- I'll jump in. As stated earlier, first night's dinner in Signatures was great. Last night Captain's welcome party and dinner in Compass Rose. We both had the lobster and it was just average. A little dry and over done. Seas have calmed down a bit. Looking forward to another great meal tonight at Signatures.

Aloha,

Al

how did you get two reservations at Signatures

every time I ask about another reservation I get what I would call a sneer

Our steward Nelson also very good. We had a couple of requests of what we wanted in our fridge and our bottle choice (single malt and grey goose) and he promptly delivered.

Hot and sunny today but every once in awhile there would be a brief shower. Around 4 the pool turned into a tidal wave so it was covered and drained. Its windy but nothing like coming from Ft Lauderdale.

Dinner has been ok, last night we asked for a Pinot instead of what they were offering and it was promptly brought; even offered to open a second bottle for us. Blue cheese olive bartender in Horizons also makes an excellent irish coffee.

The gym is great, has not been crowded, the classes are good, they end just before I die!!

Lunch at Veranda yesterday was unremarkable. Have had room service breakfast last two days. Best just to do coffee, juice and fruit but it has been prompt.

The made to order burgers at the pool grill are especially yummy and I can get sweet potato fries-yeah!

Today people must have felt better because the pool area was steady business, even ran out of towels. But at 4 o'clock it all but cleared out. Think they headed to tea time and trivia.

Tomorrow San Juan from 1pm to 8pm. Except for getting off to mail my Christmas cards I think I will treat it as a sea day--relax, relax, relax.

how did you get two reservations at Signatures

every time I ask about another reservation I get what I would call a sneer

I can only report what's worked for me:

Step 1: Be on your way to dinner in CR anyway, and ready to be happy with that.

Step 2: Stop by Siggies, stick your head in the door, and ask if they can take you.

Step 3: Often enough, the M.d' will say "Why yes we can! Right this way!"

N.B.: This is not a reservation; it's holding out your hat to see what falls into it, while being open to Fortune's whims. But, it's worked for me a couple of times (half a dozen times in P7).

---

p.s. re: your later message . . . "relax, relax, relax" . . . I read that bit in Yul Brynner's voice from The King and I, where he says "et cetera, et cetera, et cetera". Don't know why. For that matter, why am I saying this? Probably due to a couple of drinks. Pity me; I am paying individually for each of them!

Time is 10 a.m. Our bags are packed and our driver will not be here.

I cancelled the cruise due to some vertigo and balance problems which cropped up in the past few days. My doctor insists that I do not travel. It's a disappointment but better ' be safe than sorry.'

I have only just got around to reading these posts and it was a nasty shock to hear that you didn't make the cruise, Neviboy. I do hope your problems have disappeared now, though you do cause consternation in your insurance office, don't you.

Best wishes.

Same for us.

I can only report what's worked for me:

Step 1: Be on your way to dinner in CR anyway, and ready to be happy with that.

Step 2: Stop by Siggies, stick your head in the door, and ask if they can take you.

Step 3: Often enough, the M.d' will say "Why yes we can! Right this way!"

N.B.: This is not a reservation; it's holding out your hat to see what falls into it, while being open to Fortune's whims. But, it's worked for me a couple of times (half a dozen times in P7).

---

p.s. re: your later message . . . "relax, relax, relax" . . . I read that bit in Yul Brynner's voice from The King and I, where he says "et cetera, et cetera, et cetera". Don't know why. For that matter, why am I saying this? Probably due to a couple of drinks. Pity me; I am paying individually for each of them!

and glad library has lots of bios,etc...won t bring any now,,and the sewer smell is a problem,,since I too and on deck 7,,but toward middle..had that problem on SeaDream,,and never did go away..yuck.

Good tip about Signature,,but now everyone knows,,haha,,but will give it a shot..

Will get down to port about 1 or later,,since driving from Orlando,,but sounds like less busy later??

Now ,,,hope the sea dies down,,funny,,its not been that windy or cool here,,,having great weather,,sunny,80,,but cool spell coming,,,70,,,on Fri...sorry,,,to a FL resident,,thats COOL...:p

writing this post from our balcony overlooking the coast guard and cloudy sunset while sipping wine and nibbling a cheese plate from room service!

Last night the osso bucco was delicious in CR. The wine steward got smart and just left the bottle of Pinot on our table. Had a nice time talking to a couple we met at the "cattle call" in Horizons but we moved the clocks ahead and room service woke us at 7.

Had breakfast and lunch in Veranda for the scenic view and being able to be outside to eat. Ok but service is not exactly top notch.

Sunshine and mid 80s today. The ship cleared at 1 when we arrived and had the pool area mostly to ourselves. Three other ships here but two have left and it appears HAL may be leaving soon.

Tomorrow, my favorite, St Barths. We requested a box lunch three days ago and reception tried to give it to us yesterday so we'll see.

Also, last night we decided that we did not want to do the fun cats in Dominica. It was listed in our book as reserved but the ticket was not in our envelope. We went to destinations and I explained that we were booked, did not want the excursion but never received the tickets. The gentleman told us to just bring him the tickets and we would be cancelled????? Guess I'm glad we changed our mind.

(sorry about the format of my post a couple days ago...word and a dying laptop-battery conspired again' me)

Had a big ol' post ready to send and just lost it all. Oh well. Cruise is great...food is great...eating and drinking and naping all the time doesn't leave much reading time. Wait staff is amazing. Signatures was very good (the daily-pour red wine was lacking, IMO)...Prime 7 was great (daily pour red was worthy of extra costs, but included)...Compass Rose at dinner has been just about perfect! Marijana (server) and David (head waiter) have been great. Also a shout-out to a server named "I Made" (pronounced more like 'E Mah-day')...he's been very good and friendly too.

We don't do many excrusions, but the one or two we've done have been fun...not perfectly what we expected, but it's all an adventure.

Sewer smell is still in our hallway (lower half of odd-side on deck 7...rooms 757-771...maybe all the way back to 779, but we don't have reason to stroll that far)...earlier in cruise it was AWFUL, but has been between bothersome and slight over the past couple of days. Always is there though...although some fabreeze-like cover/freshener is used, it seems. Based on what I now know, I would book this cruise in a second, but would not personally book the rooms mentioned above. We complained in the mid-cruise comment-card, but haven't heard any explanation of why or if something can be done or not.

If anyone has any Mariner questions, just ask..we'll answer what we know and/or try to find out if we don't.

Can't believe four ports have gone by since I posted; must be the champagne!

We were 90 min late out of San Juan due to a medical; seemed to take forever for the ambulance to arrive and when they finally brought the guy out there were eight or nine guys carrying him! Also in San Juan an older lady in a wheelchair got off and went home.

St Barts was hot and sunny; we did not do an excursion. Speaking of excursions have not come across one which turned out as described. The excursions seem to be a complaint. I was livid yesterday in Barbados on our 4x4 "luxury" drive--NOT as described. While I will admit Regent has a right to substitute I believe as a paying passenger (we all know the excursions are not "free") I have a right to know I have been switched so I can make an informed decision.

St Lucia we did not do an excursion but walked around a bit and then hung out by the pool.

Barbados had rain but I have yet to be in Barbados when it did not rain.

Today in Dominica not as hot but sunshine and another excursion not meeting expectations.

La Veranda breakfast service is TERRIBLE--last time we were there three days ago my husband asked for coffee and after several minutes got up and poured his own coffee while a waiter watched him!!!!!!!

Adam in CR has been great and Mike who pours wine another favorite.

Breakfast room service has been perfect; on time and the orders correct.

Had dinner at La Veranda the night we left St Lucia, the captain was going slow; he said he was going to take the scenic route; there was an almost full moon, the weather was perfect; the best dinner I've had outside. Didn;t like my mahimahi but that's my problem.

At at Prime 7 for our reservation (by the by going down and asking if there is room is NOT working--too many people are doing it) three nights ago and it was wonderful. Crab legs and filet mignon and the best key lime pie ever!!!! Tonight we are at Signatures so looking forward to that.

Bartender at pool bar has been great but I think I said that already.

Luckily the smell has gone away on deck nine but that day really stunk--pun intended.

I have been Regent since Radisson but it has been two years and what a difference; it is not the same. Its wonderful but far from perfect.

Only one writer and a different thread !!! Either everything is the same as it usually is with Regent, or people are very tired, or the computer is too slow or not working.

Perhaps we will get the cruise news after the ship docks and everyone is home and no chocolates on the pillows.

Not sure why no one else is posting; probably because they are busy having fun? We do not have to pay for internet so I was going on everyday but skipped a day. Tomorrow is a sea day and the last day will be at the island from 7 to 2.

Dinners in CR continue to be great. We always ask for Adam's section and does not matter who the wine person is, he knows what bottle we like; he opens it and leaves it on the table for us to enjoy.

Found an area off the back of horizons lounge I did not realize was there. What a great place to have a drink and listen to the sound of the ocean.

So convenient to have laundry--I have done four loads; three times first thing in the am--700 and last night after dinner. No waiting.

The comedian magician two nights ago, I think it was, was entertaining so that makes a grand total of two shows we have seen! Sorry if I'm repeating myself.

Excursions--so disappointing I will address this under a different thread when I get back home.

Went to The Baths Monday, the listed price 69.00--round trip is 8 bucks a person!!!! It was so crowded, almost two thousand people we had to get the heck out of there, no way was I going to sit around for three hours especially when it was only 4.00 pp to get back to the wonderful ship.

Today in Dominican Republic all the tours began after 1030 and all of them ran over. We got back on the ship about 345 and they had kept La Veranda open. They did promptly close the ice cream bar at 400 though.

Weather beautiful but I can tell we are heading north, no more high 80s days. Expect the pool to be very poplular tomorrow.

Archived