Monarch 12/2 Review AKA How did I wind up on a Carnival Cruise?

Lesson learned: The Monarch should not be in the same fleet as the other wonderful ships on RCCL. This cruise was in many ways indistinguishable from a Carnival Party Barge and while there were some highlights, it really wasn't something we are likely to do again in the future.

Some pre-trip facts: We booked this because of the price and wanting to see if this was a valid weekend getaway trip we could do in the future. We thought it might be something we could make a habit. We only paid $169 a person and when the price dropped to $109 a person, we were given an upgrade from an interior room to an outside room.

We parked at the Radisson for $5.95 a day and it was excellent.

Between my wife and I, we have sailed on RCCL, Disney and Carnival. We aren't mega-cruisers, but have sailed more than a dozen times combined.

The room: We were put on deck 4 forward, stateroom 4008. This room, while VERY clean, looked really rough. There appeared to have been some graffiti on the pull-down bunk that had been cleaned off. I'm not kidding. Like when they paint over graffiti and you can still kinda see it? The room was in SERIOUS need of updating and was well beyond its life expectancy. It was really rough. No safe. The TV was tinted green no matter what you tried to adjust and it was the old style tiny 13". The outlets worked and didn't work. We plugged our power strip in (only one item charging at this point) and it started flickering. I went to get our attendant and it started working fine. Then during the trip it did the flickering again a few times.

The trip: We didn't get to visit Coco Cay again. Three times now (for me) that the winds have been too rough to visit. One day, maybe? Nassau was Nassau. After the first few visits there isn't much to do there. It's not that big. We should've gone to Atlantis, but chose not to because Freedom, Majesty and 2 Carnival ships (possibly Fascination & Imagination but I really didn't pay attention) were in port. I can't imagine how busy it must have been. Regardless, the trip was fine. We knew this going in and Coco is always a possible scratch. I wish they would build a dock, but I know the standard line "it's too small to build a dock", so that's just part of sailing RCCL. I've heard (and at least I've experienced it!) that WDW is much better anyway.

The crew: I found the crew, apart from the pool deck crew, to be fun and excellent. Our stateroom attendant Inyoman was quick and kept the place spotless. He made the war-torn bunker as homey as he could. Drew Devine was the CD and he was one of the best I've seen. He was fun, out-going and wasn't annoying. We had MTD and wound up with Don & Bobby from the Philippines all three nights. They were great. We used the front desk many times (no safe = safety deposit box for the wallet, etc) and there was a girl from Brazil who was a rockstar. We can't remember her name and that is sad. She was awesome, though.

The food: Meh. This was the worst food we've had on a cruise. I'm not going on thinking I'm eating at a 5-star joint, but this wasn't even a crappy McDonald's grade in some places. The Windjammer was worse than any ship I've seen. It's never GOLD, but this was borderline awful. The dining room was up and down. My fillet of beef was excellent. My wife's duck wasn't good at all. My NY Strip was lucky to be in the steak family. My wife's seafood kabob was delicious. My ribeye (medium-rare) was still as tough as shoe leather and bland. My calzone was worse than the food from the Windjammer and was replaced by the NY strip.

On a positive note. We had excellent breakfast in Claude's. Great service there, as well. The desserts were typical for the ships and decent.

The smoking: Where do I begin? There were smokers everywhere and we never saw a crew member say a word to anyone. Smoking on both sides of the pool deck, all over the pool deck, at the pool bar, up on the upper level sun decks, outside on the Windjammer deck, in Boleros, in The Circuit, in the areas where you wait for an elevator, we had a guy light up in the Sound of Music (which on the Monarch is the main theater) and we saw a guy smoking several floors below us in the atrium. The saddest part was when two guys lit up standing framing the "no smoking on this side of the deck sign" We were trying to eat and I grabbed a drink sales crew member and pointed it out. Juan decided to shrug his shoulders and look for more customers.

There was no place for a non-smoker to go. This was extremely crappy to deal with. MANY thumbs down on this aspect of this cruise. Something odd we saw as well, people using the pool deck turf to put out their cigs. This didn't happen once or twice... it happened at least a dozen times that we saw. Lots of butts on the ground up there.

The fellow cruisers: Yeah. I can't say much nice here, so I'll mostly just hold my tongue. This was an ENTIRELY different group of cruisers than I've ever cruised with. I understand it was a very cheaply priced cruise, but as my grandma used to say "Just because you're poor doesn't make you trash." Being poor in this economic time isn't rare. Being trashy should be.

I will say this... at least the girl out in the hallway in her see-thru thong panties had her one arm over her nipples... for decency, I suppose.

The ship: I think the only word to describe her is TIRED. She's out-dated, out-gunned and limping along. Everything was clean, but she's just running out of steam. There were things constantly broken and the ship is a mess to get around after you have been on the bigger ships.

The conclusion: This isn't the ship for us. We wanted a cost-effective and great last minute "we need a break this weekend" outlet and this is not it. We will stick to the bigger, newer ships and probably will not go on the Monarch again.

It's a shame that you didn't really enjoy your cruise. This is what I fear with the Majesty and Monarch. I'm not sure if I would ever sail them, simply because of their age and clientele. I think I'll stick with the big ships too!

Uh oh. We went on Soveign as our second cruise a few years ago and it was looking old, but not that bad. I am booked two cabins down from you in January. We'll see how it goes.

I am really surprised about the smoking as I have found RCI staff is usually very good about enforcing the rules. I'll let everyone know how it goes in January!

This is sad to hear, as I used to frequent the Monarch when she lived in LA.:)

However, on a cheap, short cruise, you will always see a difference in the crowd. And it isn't the Monarch's fault that you couldn't dock at Coco Cay, she didn't make the wind.

But graffiti in the cabin is gross, and let's face it, the girl is getting a bit long in the tooth, so to speak. :(

My ribeye (medium-rare) was still as tough as shoe leather and bland.

How did you get a ribeye? Thought ribeyes were only served in Chops (which Monarch does not have) and they have been taken off of Chops menu even.

Sorry to hear you hated your cruise. Reading this and comparing to MY Monarch experience last year is like night and day. I loved that old gal and hope to cruise on her again before she is sold off.

I know alot of people love the Monarch.. I sailed her a couple of weeks ago and agree with alot of what the poster says.. In fact I cancelled my March cruise on her and booked the Jewel instead... We had a nice cruise and food is subjective (we had decent not great food but hey I'm on a cruise) Overall the ship felt tired.. Its time to retire her or put some money into her.....

I have sailed RCCL fourteen times and Monarch four times. Once when she was new, two in the middle, and last one last October. The first three on Monarch were fine but my last trip was not. I agree that the food was fair at best. Though she was not dirty she is very worn and needs to be retired or given a very good update. A lot of new cruisers choose a short cruise to see if they like it. If they don't get something nicer in Port Canaveral they risk the chance of losing future cruisers to other lines.

I have sailed RCCL fourteen times and Monarch four times. Once when she was new, two in the middle, and last one last October. The first three on Monarch were fine but my last trip was not. I agree that the food was fair at best. Though she was not dirty she is very worn and needs to be retired or given a very good update. A lot of new cruisers choose a short cruise to see if they like it. If they don't get something nicer in Port Canaveral they risk the chance of losing future cruisers to other lines.

This was a secondary reason that I didn't mention. We have been trying to convince my parents to go on a cruise for a while. We were thinking of suggesting Monarch as a good first cruise. Obviously, we won't be doing that now.

I have family members who just got off the Navigator and they said the food was soooo mediocre. Additionally, I am a dessert freak....I would rather skip the meal and have a great dessert, yet they said the desserts were inedible.

Now I was on Carnival Victory last March and the food was really quite good, especially the melting chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. RCCL may force me to switch cruiselines. :(

I have family members who just got off the Navigator and they said the food was soooo mediocre. Additionally, I am a dessert freak....I would rather skip the meal and have a great dessert, yet they said the desserts were inedible.

Now I was on Carnival Victory last March and the food was really quite good, especially the melting chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. RCCL may force me to switch cruiselines. :(

I agree that Royal Caribbean severely lacks in the dessert department but "inedible"? I dont think I would go THAT far! :o

Of course I happen to think that the oh so raved Carnival melting chocolate cake is one of the most overrated things in the cruise industry. WAY TOO RICH for my liking and just not very good to me.

Food is so subjective.

I had friends ( late fifties- non smokers) that were on the same cruise. They had a wonderful time. They have cruised many times before on Monarch as well as other ships. In fact they booked another Monarch cruise while on board. Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your cruise.

I was on Monarch in May with my son, right before she went into rehab and even then we didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as you say it was AFTER rehab. We had a safe, we had a flat screen tv, our food was very very good in the MDR. Wouldn't really say that about the windjammer or that pizza place. Smokers stayed where they were supposed to on our cruise as far as I know because there wasn't any issue that I'm aware of. Our wait crew was THE BEST. We loved Ajay and Somney. Wonderful people.

When I read this it made me think about reviews for motels/ hotels at the Jersey Shore. They are so varied it's mind blowing. How can one person say a place is clean and fabulous but another thinks it's a scabby deathtrap? I think it's because people were forgetting the thing itself. A room at Motel 6 in AC isn't a room at the Bellagio just like the Monarch isn't the Oasis. I think you can enjoy the Monarch is you accept it for what it is instead of what it can never be. BTW... what it is is a small, old ship with short, simple sailings that caters to people who want a cheap vacation and are willing to sacrifice ambiance and amenities for price and convenience. It's the Motel 6 of the seas... it's a floating Jersey Shore Motel. I tucked that info into my brain for our Monarch sailings and it made them way more enjoyable. I knew what I was getting into. I never expected gourmet meals, white glove service or 1,000 thread count sheets which is good cause I didn't get them.

BTW... I agree 100% that there is too much smoking on the Monarch. Billowing clouds of smoke kept us out of quite a few of the bars and lounges. I am pretty sure smoking was allowed in most of the places it was really bad though. I don't remember people smoking where they weren't supposed to on our sailing but I don't doubt that they did on yours. It's feels like something a Monarch crowd is capable of.

Uh oh. We went on Soveign as our second cruise a few years ago and it was looking old, but not that bad. I am booked two cabins down from you in January. We'll see how it goes.

I am really surprised about the smoking as I have found RCI staff is usually very good about enforcing the rules. I'll let everyone know how it goes in January!

when I was on SOV a few years back the cabin was in serious (dangerous) disrepair. They gave us a quad, and I didnt notice until I opened the door. One of the upper bunks hung out from the wall and they had hung a picture off the edge, so it had been broken for a while. .. hit rough weather and it came loose almost knocking my sister senseless.

When I read this it made me think about reviews for motels/ hotels at the Jersey Shore. They are so varied it's mind blowing. How can one person say a place is clean and fabulous but another thinks it's a scabby deathtrap? I think it's because people were forgetting the thing itself. A room at Motel 6 in AC isn't a room at the Bellagio just like the Monarch isn't the Oasis. I think you can enjoy the Monarch is you accept it for what it is instead of what it can never be. BTW... what it is is a small, old ship with short, simple sailings that caters to people who want a cheap vacation and are willing to sacrifice ambiance and amenities for price and convenience. It's the Motel 6 of the seas... it's a floating Jersey Shore Motel. I tucked that info into my brain for our Monarch sailings and it made them way more enjoyable. I knew what I was getting into. I never expected gourmet meals, white glove service or 1,000 thread count sheets which is good cause I didn't get them.

BTW... I agree 100% that there is too much smoking on the Monarch. Billowing clouds of smoke kept us out of quite a few of the bars and lounges. I am pretty sure smoking was allowed in most of the places it was really bad though. I don't remember people smoking where they weren't supposed to on our sailing but I don't doubt that they did on yours. It's feels like something a Monarch crowd is capable of.

Pretty good analysis of the Monarch IMO :) Of course I was pretty amazed when I first rolled on board her because all I had to go on was Carnivals smallest and oldest vessel as well which isnt even in the fleet anymore. The Monarch completely blew it away in comparison!

Im wondering if the smoking the OP seen in the Solarium and theatre was one of those "e cigs"? I cant imagine someone firing up inside the ship and NOT being called down about it immediately! :eek:

I'm going on my first RC cruise in February on the Majesty. From my understanding that's the sister ship to the Monarch. This review is making me very nervous.

I've been on 3 Carnival cruises and all have been great. I chose this cruise just to give a try to another line plus the weekend cruise was a great fit because of my birthday and my travel buddy who can't get a lot of time off work.

Hopefully the cruise is great.

I'm going on my first RC cruise in February on the Majesty. From my understanding that's the sister ship to the Monarch. This review is making me very nervous.

I've been on 3 Carnival cruises and all have been great. I chose this cruise just to give a try to another line plus the weekend cruise was a great fit because of my birthday and my travel buddy who can't get a lot of time off work.

I would not sweat it too much. The Majesty is a great ship from what I hear and has had a lot more thorough refurbs over the past years than the Monarch has Im pretty sure. Majesty also has Compass Deli which Monarch doesnt have....People really seem to enjoy it and its included in the price of the cruise fare :)

What Carnival ships have you sailed on? I think the Sovereign class of ships are MUCH more elegant and classy than anything Carnival has in their Fantasy fleet which is about comparable in age and size........At least from pictures Ive seen

Im wondering if the smoking the OP seen in the Solarium and theatre was one of those "e cigs"? I cant imagine someone firing up inside the ship and NOT being called down about it immediately! :eek:

Not a chance for the one in the waiting area for the elevator. They tossed it into a stray glass of something to put it out as they stepped on the elevator.

The theater one is highly unlikely as several people got up and moved. Although, I didn't smell smoke myself because I was too far away and can't call this one.

The solarium, I suppose is possible. I was far enough away that I couldn't tell you for sure. I'm willing to concede this as "plausible" in Mythbusters terms.

How did you get a ribeye? Thought ribeyes were only served in Chops (which Monarch does not have) and they have been taken off of Chops menu even.

I suppose it is possible that I just called it a ribeye enough that I really believe now that was the cut I was supposed to get. I don't have photographic evidence of the menu.

I will happily rephrase it to "My advertised cut of steak (medium-rare) was still as tough as shoe leather and bland."

I know alot of people love the Monarch.. I sailed her a couple of weeks ago and agree with alot of what the poster says.. In fact I cancelled my March cruise on her and booked the Jewel instead... We had a nice cruise and food is subjective (we had decent not great food but hey I'm on a cruise) Overall the ship felt tired.. Its time to retire her or put some money into her.....

Agreed. Food is completely subjective. This was just my review from my perspective. She is very tired, though.

Food is so subjective.

Again. Agreed.

I had friends ( late fifties- non smokers) that were on the same cruise. They had a wonderful time. They have cruised many times before on Monarch as well as other ships. In fact they booked another Monarch cruise while on board. Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your cruise.

From your sig, I see you are very pro-Monarch so this makes a lot of sense. That's excellent! My review is from my perspective and it's just not the boat for me or my wife. She has fans. We aren't in them. We've loved our other RCCL experiences, though.

Maybe they had nicer rooms, as well?

I was on Monarch in May with my son, right before she went into rehab and even then we didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as you say it was AFTER rehab. We had a safe, we had a flat screen tv, our food was very very good in the MDR. Wouldn't really say that about the windjammer or that pizza place. Smokers stayed where they were supposed to on our cruise as far as I know because there wasn't any issue that I'm aware of. Our wait crew was THE BEST. We loved Ajay and Somney. Wonderful people.

I'm guessing you had a much nicer room than we did. Deluxe apartment in the sky. We were staying where the Jeffersons USED to live.

We also had many excellent experiences with the crew. Not the pool deck crew, but many of the other crew.

I hope you have a great time. I didn't mean to scare you.

Not a chance for the one in the waiting area for the elevator. They tossed it into a stray glass of something to put it out as they stepped on the elevator.

The theater one is highly unlikely as several people got up and moved. Although, I didn't smell smoke myself because I was too far away and can't call this one.

The solarium, I suppose is possible. I was far enough away that I couldn't tell you for sure. I'm willing to concede this as "plausible" in Mythbusters terms.

Totally unacceptable :mad: I dont blame you. Im one of those "ex" smokers (of 25 years) and I think Im more anal about being around it now than most NON smokers are. I cant BELIEVE I had such a nasty, stinky habit for so long

I suppose it is possible that I just called it a ribeye enough that I really believe now that was the cut I was supposed to get. I don't have photographic evidence of the menu.

It could have been the horrid "black angus" sirloin on the alternative menu.........I dont know why they dont find a better cut of meat or just take that OFF the menu......NO ONE that I know of likes that steak

It could have been the horrid "black angus" sirloin on the alternative menu.........I dont know why they dont find a better cut of meat or just take that OFF the menu......NO ONE that I know of likes that steak

It was definitely horrid, so shame on me. Hahahaha

Archived