Tuxedo Rental

sharkwl

Don't forget when you try it on you need to leave room for 'growth' between boarding and the first formal night!

:D:D:D.

We're doing a 12 day cruise, so there will be 3 formal nights. Fortunately, when you rent a tux for your cruise, the waist is adjustable (that means expandable).

I'ne rented a tux through the cruise line for our last 5 cruises. I enjoy the opportunity to wear something elegant, and DW thinks it's pretty good, too.

Just did this with rather disappointing results:

- one shirt had an obvious coffee stain on it and it should have either been properly cleaned or discarded NOT rented

- one shirt was missing a button, the tailor fixed that but having not tried it on due to the button much to my dismay I found the neck size was wrong and therefore not wearable

- the bow tie fell into the category of should have been thrown out as well as it had clearly been overused and was again not in appropriate shape for renting

I was a bit surprised by how few people wore a tux, several dark suits, many suits without ties and some sport coats and some polo shirts without jackets.

I would STRONGLY recommend that anyone taking this option thoroughly inspect the garments immediately upon delivery to your stateroom - mine were not delivered until after we'd left port.

We actually rented a tux after we got on the ship - on the first formal night to be exact! DH went to pull out his suit the morning of formal night and found out he forgot his suit pants at home! We called the Butler (one advantage of being in a suite) and he was able to get a tux for us. Everything fit just fine except the coat and it was just a tad too big - nothing that anyone noticed. Ever since that trip, DH has quadruple checked his suit to make sure he remembers the pants, much to my dismay. I'm thinking for our Alaskan cruise I'll have to hide all his pants somewhere:p so he'll be forced to rent a tux! I just love a man in a tux!:)

Just did this with rather disappointing results:

- one shirt had an obvious coffee stain on it and it should have either been properly cleaned or discarded NOT rented

- one shirt was missing a button, the tailor fixed that but having not tried it on due to the button much to my dismay I found the neck size was wrong and therefore not wearable

- the bow tie fell into the category of should have been thrown out as well as it had clearly been overused and was again not in appropriate shape for renting

I was a bit surprised by how few people wore a tux, several dark suits, many suits without ties and some sport coats and some polo shirts without jackets.

I would STRONGLY recommend that anyone taking this option thoroughly inspect the garments immediately upon delivery to your stateroom - mine were not delivered until after we'd left port.

Add us to the list of people who have had a bad experience with the tuxedo rental. I should add that DH has rented from Cruiselineformal on about 4 occasions. Two times everything was fine. Once there was a minor problem with one shirt that was rectified. However, on our Equinox cruise this summer it was very unsatisfactory. First, there was no tux in the stateroom when we arrived. We asked the room steward on the first afternoon, and he said he would check into it. He mumbled something about having "just been told" that a rental tux had been ordered (we had a printout of the email confirmation and had ordered it a month before the cruise).

Of course, the second night was a formal night. Some time mid-day on the 2nd day, the steward brought a tux. It looked like a hodgepodge of mis-matched pieces. The jacket was missing a button. One shirt was made of some dreadful 100% polyester material. The other shirt had at least some natural fibers but was a far cry from the crisply pressed white cotton formal shirt we expected. By the time DH tried the tux on, it was too late to change anything for our early seating. I don't know whether to place the blame for this with Celebrity or with the rental company. But DH definitely did not feel like he was looking his best. It didn't ruin our cruise or our formal night, but it gives me pause about going the rental route next time.

If you do rent a tux, definitely try it on the first night and try to get any issues addressed immediately.

Don't forget when you try it on you need to leave room for 'growth' between boarding and the first formal night!

:D:D:D.

Thats the part about Celebrity that I hate: all my clothes seem to shrink during the cruise! It must be the exposure to sea air...;)

We'll be on the Equinox in January, and wondering if I can get a tux rental through Celebrity?? Thanks! Warran. :)

Many of the folks posting have given you great answers.

My one experience is that I rented a tux through Cruiseline formals. I gave them the exact specs per their web site request. When I got the tux, it did not fit at all. Coat was too big, and the pants were way too small.

I sent them an email when I got back home. No response. So, I opened a dispute with American Express, and the formals folks didn't respond to AMEX either. Therefore, I didn't have to pay.

Have fun!:D

My one experience is that I rented a tux through Cruiseline formals. I gave them the exact specs per their web site request. When I got the tux, it did not fit at all. Coat was too big, and the pants were way too small.

I sent them an email when I got back home. No response. So, I opened a dispute with American Express, and the formals folks didn't respond to AMEX either. Therefore, I didn't have to pay.

THAT is good to know. My husband exists at, shall we say, one extreme end of the size spectrum and would be next-to-impossible to accommodate from the limited onboard stores in the event of a total SNAFU such as you describe.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it won't come to this, when we see his gear tomorrow evening!!! :D

Many of the folks posting have given you great answers.

Have fun!:D

Did you ask your room steward to exchange your pants and jacket for ones that fit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The best I can say here is "your mileage may vary."

There is no denying the convenience of a rented tux (including shoes, if you like) that just shows up and goes away... I myself did this for years.

This said, I've had mixed results. So much so that I now bring my own. It only cost a few hundred dollars, and I use the elite "free pressing" coupon once aboard to fix any travel induced wrinkles.

I think that rccl/x briefly flirted with self-managing the tux program, and the results were comical. I had two cruises where they had no end of problems, including a claim that they had no studs/cufflinks aboard (really?), and the delivery of a clown suit in 50 short with 28 pants (I ordered 40R with 30/32). On the latter occasion I spent an Amsterdam port stop running around finding a suit (I love formal nights), finally buying an off the rack suit at H&m that ended up costing less than the rental (granted, it shrunk and I wasn't able to wear it more than once).

Based on all the little details I've been able to glean, if you are sailing from a major US port (particularly Miami), it should be no problem getting the right size as they have shoreside stores. If you are sailing from an occasional port or European port, I would be VERY sure to try on and inspect THE WHOLE OUTFIT the day before formal to be sure it's right.

Good luck!

The best I can say here is "your mileage may vary."

There is no denying the convenience of a rented tux (including shoes, if you like) that just shows up and goes away... I myself did this for years.

This said, I've had mixed results. So much so that I now bring my own. It only cost a few hundred dollars, and I use the elite "free pressing" coupon once aboard to fix any travel induced wrinkles.

Hi Sharkwl,

Like IMNILES, Mr Sloop has also decided to skip the rental route, and purchase his own.

We are taking our first cruise in January. And for awhile we were quite perplexed on how to handle the Formal Night situation.

Mr Sloop doesn`t wear a suit to tie to work any more... and the one decent jacket that he had in his wardrobe (black blazer) is quite old... and a heavier winter weight (afterall we do live in Canada... and such an investment piece gets better mileage if it can be worn 3 Seasons out of 4)

Anyhow...

He thought about bringing it... then decided not to after looking at the price of dress pants to match it (another item that outside of going to a Funeral now and then, weren`t going to get much wear)

Considered buying a whole new suit... but figured he wouldn`t have much cause to wear it either.

Finally decided to rent... although was admittably worried about some of the "misfit" stories here on the CC Boards.

To be more proactive on that front... we went off to a local Tuxedo Store to be measured so we would have accurate numbers to forward to Cruise Line Formal Wear, and when talking to the Store Owner figured out that if he rented just twice in the years to come (now and later), he`d have paid MORE than it costs to purchase a gently used tuxedo.

And so the decision was made. He bought a gorgeous Designer Name Brand Tuxedo in a wool blend (not polyester) with NEW Pants for $ 200

And it has been altered to fit him (for FREE) ... I must say he looks AMAZING in it !!

Accessories... Shirt, Tie & Cummerbund, Studs & Cufflinks on the inexpensive side will run him another $ 200. BUT then all will be better quality than anything to be found thru a rental... again shirt will be a natural fabric and NOT polyester (and the studs will be metal... I have even seen plastic studs on rentals in the past).

Sure he has to bring it along, but so what... as a guy, he typically doesn`t pack a bunch of stuff anyhow (not like me with 4 or more pairs of shoes) so he has the space.

And we like the peace of mind of knowing exactly what to expect on Formal Night.

Sure even a gently used tuxedo can be a bit of an investment piece, but if you think you`ll cruise again, or are of a certain age where kids are getting married etc, then it can make a lot of sense. At least it did for us.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

on Oct 30. We ordered 4 weeks in advance and requested suspenders because the last time DH wore the rented tux, his pants kept falling even though they were the correct measurements. Tux was brought to cabin a few hours after boarding-- everything looked ok except 1 of the shirts had no "pips" but the other one did so he just used the same ones for both shirts. Pants and jacket were correct size but there were no suspenders and when we asked the cabin attendant, he looked perplexed, went off and came back about an hour later and said none could be found. My DH is a big size man and it is easier for us to rent the tux than to buy a suit. His weight varies from cruise to cruise and renting ensures the correct fit. Also, suit styles change every few years so since we have no other need for a suit, renting suits our purposes plus cuts down on packing.

I do agree with all the advice about checking when it's delivered. Enjoy:)

Archived