Royal Mashed Potatoes

misty57

I know mashed potatoes are not exactly gourmet fare, but I absolutely love these on RCI ships! I was thinking about making some for Christmas dinner and I was trying to figure out what made these so good. Then I remembered that several years ago I purchased one of the cookbooks when on Liberty. There was the recipe on the same page as the Tenderloin of Beef! No wonder they taste so good. They have heavy cream and butter in them.:D One ingredient I did not expect though was nutmeg!. Does anyone happen to know if this is the recipe that they use for all of the mashed potatoes they serve?

I know mashed potatoes are not exactly gourmet fare, but I absolutely love these on RCI ships! I was thinking about making some for Christmas dinner and I was trying to figure out what made these so good. Then I remembered that several years ago I purchased one of the cookbooks when on Liberty. There was the recipe on the same page as the Tenderloin of Beef! No wonder they taste so good. They have heavy cream and butter in them.:D One ingredient I did not expect though was nutmeg!. Does anyone happen to know if this is the recipe that they use for all of the mashed potatoes they serve?

Lots and lots of butter!

No wonder they taste so good. They have heavy cream and butter in them.:D One ingredient I did not expect though was nutmeg!.

What else would you make mashed potatoes with? It's always been cream/milk and butter with potatoes. Very simple. As for nutmeg, that is often added to many dishes with cream so not so unusual in my experience with food.

What else would you make mashed potatoes with? It's always been cream/milk and butter with potatoes. Very simple. As for nutmeg, that is often added to many dishes with cream so not so unusual in my experience with food.

In order to cut back on fat, I always use skim milk and very little butter or margarine. They're ok, but the ones served on Royal are especially good. Cream vs milk makes a difference. It wasn't that I thought the cream was a unique ingredient for pete's sake, but I have never made my potato dishes with nutmeg or cream, nor would I on a regular basis. I was simply pleased to find the recipe. Thank you.:rolleyes:

It's the nutmeg! That was the ingredient that made the difference. I used 1/2 tsp and that was exactly right for my taste. Who knew? ( Ok some did but no one around my "neck of the woods" had ever heard of using it in mashed potatoes).

I also made key lime pie from the same book... easy to do, but DS dropped it when he fell down the stairs this afternoon.:eek: I had just asked him if he could handle it without dropping it. Oh well:). Hoping everyone has been able to enjoy a blessed Christmas celebration today.

As a first time cruiser going on FOS in March 2012 can I ask about the cookbook you referred to in your posting? Are the RCI cookbooks the same for all ships in the fleet or are they unique to the specific boat you are on for the cruise? Is there an opportunity to purchase other previous RCI cookbooks on board in addition to the current RCI bookbook? Does any one have any recommendations for especially good RCI cruise cookbooks? Can one buy past cookbooks from RCI or must you go through Amazon or some other book seller?

Thanks for your help. I love browsing through this forum! :D

Can't wait to go - 3 months...

As a first time cruiser going on FOS in March 2012 can I ask about the cookbook you referred to in your posting? Are the RCI cookbooks the same for all ships in the fleet or are they unique to the specific boat you are on for the cruise? Is there an opportunity to purchase other previous RCI cookbooks on board in addition to the current RCI bookbook? Does any one have any recommendations for especially good RCI cruise cookbooks? Can one buy past cookbooks from RCI or must you go through Amazon or some other book seller?

Thanks for your help. I love browsing through this forum! :D

Can't wait to go - 3 months...

The name of the cookbook is Savor. The one I have is volume 2 so that would mean that there is a volume 1 also. I think it was about $25 and I have seen them displayed on several of the ships since then. I think you can order it on Amazon, but mine was autographed by one of the chefs. I don't know if there were past cookbooks.

We love FOS, having been on her twice!:)

And I use real butter, not margarine or other non-butter. I don't use cream, but I use a little milk. And be sure to cut the potatoes into small chunks, fully cover in water, bring to a boil, and cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. Undercooked potatoes will be lumpy. I'll have to try the nutmeg. I have used garlic or grated parmesan cheese sometimes.

Thanks for posting about Royal's potatoes. Having been on freedom in August it made my daughter and I relive some fun memories. And then we just laughed a lot. Who knew nutmeg could be so controversial!!

I know, right?:D

Royal Caribbean does have good mashed potatoes.

I've been trying to "perfect" mashed potatoes for years. My family says I finally have. I either use peeled Yukon Gold or baby red potatoes with skin. Boil them until tender, mash with sour cream, about 1/3 block of cream cheese, a little butter, and enough milk to reach your desired consistency, salt and pepper. They're good plain, but I usually end up adding in some sauteed scallions and garlic. You can top with caramelized onions, parsley, and/or scallions to dress them up a little bit.

^Definitely not the mashed potatoes to eat when you're watching your weight or going on a hot date (garlic/onion) but they're very good! I could eat them all the time when I was younger, but we just have them on special occasions now. Too many carbs and way too much fat!

Archived