Eclipse Review, 12-10 Sailing (LONG)

librarylady19

I love the way they look, don't you??

Especially in quantity! :D

Guess I'll have to try to talk Steve into it again! He's afraid it'll entice us to drink too much, I think. I'm not the best drinker, I'm afraid, lol!

On our last sailing, we were under the weather for a couple of days - which is a rare occurrence for us on a cruise. My only concern (regarding spending $400 on a drink package) is if we somehow manage to feel bad for 2-3 days. As I mentioned, such an event is not common, but you almost have to feel good EVERY day to have the drink package actually be a good investment. That only looks at it from a $ standpoint, though I understand that there is a convenience aspect as well.

Decisions, decisions!!

Tom

We had not tried our hand at any of the trivia contests yet, and read that there was Classic Rock trivia in Quasar at 10:00 p.m. Sounded like fun! (We are on a weekly trivia team at home so thought we might have a chance).

2638511250104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

Well Scott really rocked that category. Despite not even remembering the 70's (being born in 1970) he got every question correct and won the fantastic gift of 2 Celebrity pens for our team!!

2443684870104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

This was our only visit to Quasar as we are not big dance club types but I thought it was a fun spot with funky decor and that crazy "spaceship"!

2543395210104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

This was actually earlier in the cruise...

2570775060104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We popped right over to the Celebrity Central Theater after Scott's trivia victory, to nab seats for the late-night comedy show with Al Ducharme. I'm glad we did as it ended up as standing-room only...he was justifiably popular.

Here's the Theater without other guests....it was a comfortable venue.

2843526760104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

The comedy show was hilarious! Al is very talented and had the audience in stitches, especially when he was making fun of several guests who had the poor judgment to sit in the front row (or leave during the show) and his impression of Cruise Director Mike! I couldn't believe that one mother brought her 8 and 10 year old kids to what was clearly billed as an adult show. Despite being questioned by the performer and heckled by the audience (yelling "go to bed") she refused to leave with the kids. Honestly!!

To his credit, Al didn't tone down the material as a result. Apparently, these kids could barely speak English so what would they get out of the show anyway, even if it was appropriate for their age.

We decided to stay in the Theater after enjoying the comedy show for the midnight "Liars Club Game Show." It was a panel consisting of comedians Al Ducharme, Steve Moris and CD Mike, hosted by Activities Director Maria (lovely lady). It was thoroughly entertaining. Mike really held his own against the professional comedians. Each was asked to give their definition of an obscure word and the audience voted on the correct response. It was hilarious. Again, kudos to Celebrity for offering more entertainment for younger adults.

Not a very good pic, but you get the idea....

2699133560104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

After a fantastic day of sightseeing, shopping, eating, drinking and great entertainment, we finally made it back to our cabin for a little rest. 2 sea days to go before returning to land...

2 sea days to go before returning to land...

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Enjoying your review - it's very much appreciated!

I seem to recall a review of Qsine that referenced Kobe Sliders -- does that ring a bell? I would probably fill up on those!! We'll be dining there on two evenings, so I will be sure to sample many things!

Tom

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I seem to recall a review of Qsine that referenced Kobe Sliders -- does that ring a bell? I would probably fill up on those!! We'll be dining there on two evenings, so I will be sure to sample many things!

Tom

Hi Tom,:) yes they have Sliders on the menu.

Thanks - and enjoy the new car!! (No "big red bow" on it? :D)

Tom

Thanks so much:). No, no big red bow on it but that is just fine with

me;)....it was a gift from me to me....no bow needed:D

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Tom

Yes, there are several beef dishes including sliders and filet mignon as well as meatballs and kabobs (some of which were beef I think). We had to save some dishes for our next visit on Summit tho..

I just went to their site, selected hotels, Miami and it came up as a result. I have never come across Umidentifed hotels...wonder if I'm using the same site??

I went to LMT..lastminutetravel.com? It shows by stars and says it can't tell you the name of the hotel until after you book it..I tried putting in 4 stars or better..only hotel that came up said it was 8 miles from the airport, 5 miles from the pier, the rooms did not look like what you posted? Any thoughts?

Day 5 - Wednesday (conclusion)

The Hot Glass Show was scheduled for 7:00 p.m. that evening. We were very impressed by the technical skill and talent of the glass artists on the Equinox and wanted to see the show again. It was indeed a very impressive display! I am always amazed how anyone can take the raw materials and turn them into an amazing piece of art, especially working with heavy tools and such heat.

Did you have to make reservations for the hot glass show in advance? Would love to see this too..

Love the way Qsine sounds as well...getting so excited to see this ship in February! Love reading your AMAZING review!

If the Hot Glass shows are run the same as on the Equinox, the shows are run throughout the whole cruise and the seating is first come, first served. One thing they don't say much about is that after some of the shows, they give away pieces that are finished (from prior shows) to those in the audience. They hand out tickets and then have a blind draw to determine the winner. You must be present to win. They didn't do this at every show, just some of them.

Day 5 - Wednesday (conclusion)

The Hot Glass Show was scheduled for 7:00 p.m. that evening. We were very impressed by the technical skill and talent of the glass artists on the Equinox and wanted to see the show again. It was indeed a very impressive display! I am always amazed how anyone can take the raw materials and turn them into an amazing piece of art, especially working with heavy tools and such heat.

Did you have to make reservations for the hot glass show in advance? Would love to see this too..

Love the way Qsine sounds as well...getting so excited to see this ship in February! Love reading your AMAZING review!

No reservations required, the shows are listed in the Daily. I would get there a bit early to get seats. wish they had better seating as the wooden benches have no padding or backs and get a bit uncomfortable after a while.

I don't think they do the raffle anymore (too many people were showing up just to get tickets). The glass bowl that we saw being created was auctioned off for the Corning Museum near the end of the cruise. I didnt get to this event myself.

I went to LMT..lastminutetravel.com? It shows by stars and says it can't tell you the name of the hotel until after you book it..I tried putting in 4 stars or better..only hotel that came up said it was 8 miles from the airport, 5 miles from the pier, the rooms did not look like what you posted? Any thoughts?

That is so weird. I just did the same search again and the hotels are clearly identified. Could it be something to do with the state you are searching from (ie IP address of your computer)??

What dates are you looking for?

Day 6 - Thursday (Sea Day)

On our way back to Miami. It was a windy day so I had no interest in being poolside (unlike the many towels, bags and books I saw occupying most of the best spots by the pool at 8:00 a.m.)!

I headed to Cafe al Bacio for a delicious light breakfast of a cappucino and a few of their mini croissants. It was quite empty that early, so I enjoyed some time writing up preliminary notes for my review and chatting with a dad from Canada about the restaurants. (I saw several guys out early morning with strollers!!)

Brunch was offered in the Moonlight Sonata Dining Room from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. I had less than fond memories of the harried service and crowds at previous buffets but decided to brave the hordes anyway. At 9:50 a.m. there was already a crowd waiting in line to be let in. I asked Scott to take some pictures quickly before the beautiful food displays were destroyed!

The displays certainly were impressive:

2975171530104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

2327740860104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

2457846470104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We were seated pretty quickly and proceeded to fight our way to the food stations. I enjoyed a glass of champagne with raspberries and a few "nibbles" of this and that... The food was ok, nothing spectacular (a lot of it looked better than it tasted) and we were disappointed that there was no shrimp available as in previous buffets (probably a cost-cutting measure).

I always feel bad for the waiters at the Brunch as people seem to get so pushy and demanding for some reason.

2515996410104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

2220909920104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

Oh well, we knew we would have lobster that evening so somehow we would soldier on.

An aside, if you' re peckish around 4:00 p.m. there are little sandwiches, rolls and scones available in the Oceanview Cafe that are quite tasty.

Scott headed to the computer lab to catch up on some work email after brunch. The WIFI was not the best, so it was definitely easier to use the computers in the iLounge. We purchased a 90 minute package for $49.95 and received a 25% discount with a Select CC member coupon.

I decided to attend the Select & Elite Backstage Tour of the Celebrity Theater. It was hosted by the Production Manager and two female performers. They began by taking questions from the audience and then we were split into 2 groups to be taken backstage.

It was a fun, informative tour; I wouldn't have paid for it but it was a nice perk. It was interesting to be up on the stage and see the theater from the performers' perspective.

My group was led by Louise, a delight young lady from Scotland, who was in the dance troupe. She told us that all the performers are responsible for their own hair and makeup but there is a wardrobe person. They each have their own cabins (unlike crew) and their only other duties are assisting with debarkation once a month.

2893578920104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We toured the makeup area and costume room and saw where the performers kept their belongings.

Costumes from the Masque Party:

2846006080104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

Had to take a picture of this (read the labels!):

2533087420104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

Scott and I met up at 1:00 p.m. in the Ensemble Lounge for more trivia ("random questions"). We didn't do so well this time, but it was fun anyway.

We realized we had yet to visit Cellarmasters, so stopped in for a glass of wine. The enomatic wine dispensers were not included in the beverage package, but there were a number of wines available by the glass in our package range. Scott wanted to try a glass of port that was included in our beverage package; they didn't have that particular vintage available, but gave him the 20 year port at no extra price. He was quite happy with that!

2390121950104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

This is really a beautiful space and Celebrity should hold more events here. There was a wine tour being held at 2:30 p.m. but we were able to sit in there and enjoy our drinks and the oceanview out the windows prior to that time.

2692097750104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

Decided to spend a bit of time in the Persian Gardens as it was rather windy and crowded in the pool area and decks above. This is a wonderful refuge from the crowds! I have not yet included photos of another great perk of AQ, the Relaxation Lounge.

2083218110104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We didn't spend too much time here (as there was just so much else to do) but it was a nice place to go after spa hours. I can imagine I would spend more time here on a longer cruise (some day).

It was the 2nd Formal Night of the cruise, so time to get showered and dressed up. Scott opted to skip the tie this time, seeing as how many showed up in Blu without a jacket!

We stopped at the Molecular Bar first to try more of their creations. I had the Dragon Fly which was ok and Scott had a ginger mojito. The bartender wouldn't give him a straw so the mint kept getting stuck in his teeth (yuck)!

2276638490104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

Dinner was excellent. I had enjoyed the baked alaska parade and all the accompanying hoopla in the MDR on Summit last year, but was willing to forgo that for the relaxing, pampered atmosphere in Blu. We were always welcomed back so warmly and treated very well by the Maitre D' and his assistant, the waiters and the sommelier.

We started with the soft-shell crab that I had eagerly anticipated; unfortunately it didn't have a lot of taste.

2303260230104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

Scott asked the waiter if he could get escargots from the MDR, and voila, there they were. He was very pleased (and of course impressed by my insider knowledge!!):

2662459170104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

I often ordered both the soup and salad starters as I had a hard time deciding between the two (and let's face it, the portions aren't huge, ha ha!!). The waiters were always accommodating and paced the meal accordingly.

We both enjoyed the lobster tail for our entree; they even brought Scott a second tail without being asked (I guess he looked like he could eat another!!). Dessert was an excellent creme caramel, topped off by cappucino for me and port for Scott.

2425457920104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

No wonder we look happy....ah...this is the life.

2347948700104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We enjoyed more great entertainment after that lovely dinner.

We had yet to visit the Sky Lounge and wanted to attend the Dancing with the Officers show at 10:30 p.m. The Sky Lounge is a bit sparse for my taste, very bland. It seemed like they ran out of design ideas by the time they got to this place!!

That said, we didn't let this stop us enjoying the show, pairing officers and guests in a rousing competition where dancers had to showcase their "talents" in a variety of dance styles. It was a riot; my hat's off to the competitors who are willing to put themselves out there like that!

We caught a reprise of the late night comedy show with Al Ducharme (mostly new material though) at midnight and called it a day.....one more day left of our wonderful vacation at sea.

That is so weird. I just did the same search again and the hotels are clearly identified. Could it be something to do with the state you are searching from (ie IP address of your computer)??

What dates are you looking for?

February 10th? I am not familiar with that site but both times I tried that was my experience..odd..right?

Friday - Day 7 (Sea Day)

The final day of our cruise. A last opportunity to visit some of our favorite places on the ship, enjoy a few more drinks, some sun and dinner at Tuscan Grille to look forward to.

Scott and I went our separate way that morning and planned to meet up for lunch. I attended the Star Chefs Cooking Competition at 11:00 a.m. in the Theatre. I had been to a similar show on Summit and it was quite enjoyable.

Wish I knew how they picked the contestants and judges as it looked like fun!

The format was pretty much the same as the Summit version, with the exception that this event featured Chef Dena Marino and Executive Chef Rjio as commentators. They were quite funny and helped keep things entertaining.

The program was hosted by the Activities Director Maria and featured two of the restaurant chefs paired with a guest. It is loosely based on the Iron Chef competition, but here the chefs have can choose a number of ingredients, there is no one "secret ingredient" and are given 20 minutes to prepare 2 dishes. Both X chefs were from S. Africa, but their styles were very different. The one paired with the male guest actually let the guest do quite a bit of cooking; the female guest really just got to watch the chef prepare the food.

3 guests judged the food on presentation and taste. I think it would have been more interesting to have Chef Marino as one of the judges. The female judge was quite picky and was not a favorite of the audience!! The winning guest received free Champagne Tea that afternoon.

I didn't bring my camera, so this is the only picture that I got with my phone:

2425487060104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We decided to have lunch at Bistro on Five today, as we had enjoyed our embarkation lunch so much. Although the food was just as good, the service was a bit lacking today...very slow. There were quite a few guests in the restaurant so perhaps they were overwhelmed. The Maitre 'D did stop by and see how we were doing, he was always so friendly, so we weren't too concerned about waiting, after all we weren't rushing any where.

Throughout the week, I had never seen the place very busy. We had a nice lobster bisque to start followed by crepes. This time I tried the spicy beef crepe which was actually the spiciest food I had on the ship and Scott had the sweet and spicy. We couldn't pass up the dessert crepes (we could diet when we got home!) and Scott had his favorite Italian crepe while I tried the French (crepe suzette); both were very good.

Since we would be returning to the chilly Midwest in a couple more days, we had to get outside and enjoy some of the beautiful weather while we could. It was a perfect day, not windy at all and calm seas. I pulled a chair under the stairs on Deck 14 for a lovely sunny hideway to read and nap. The bartender brought me a delicious pina colada and the pool butler even came round offering sorbet (first time I've seen that)...I was in heaven....

Soon enough it was time to get ready for our last dinner onboard at Tuscan Grille. The restaurant was even prettier in the evening; the reds and oranges in the decor really glowed in the candlelight. The view from the aft is spectacular in this restaurant and we had a table for 2 looking out at the wake.

Service was quite attentive here. We ordered wine; the by the glass selections here are primarily Italian of course, and quite good. We were presented with a choice of anti pasti (grilled vegetables, cheese, meats) to accompany the breads that were presented (wish they would just leave the basket, I love my carbs). We started with the fried calamari and crab cake appetizer, both of which were decent, but not outstanding. For a second course we had to try the onion soup as it had been praised by many on CC. It was pretty good but, as the waiter warned, a rather large serving. We only ate half to save room for the entree and dessert courses.

Scott had the rib eye and I had the pappardelle with seafood (scallops, mussels, shrimp, calamari). Both were very good.

2038209790104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We finished with what was undoubtedly the best dessert of the cruise. The pistachio creme brulee. I'm really not sure what is the point of the pop rocks on top (this isn't Qsine after all) but other than that it was a sublime dessert.

2668216960104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We left very full and quite pleased with the overall experience. My only regret on this cruise was that we did not have dinner at Murano. We loved Normandie on Summit and have eaten in Murano on Century, but there are only so many nights and so much food one can consume...next time.

We headed to the Theatre for the Farewell Variety Show at 9:00 p.m., hosted by CD Mike (have I mentioned that this guy does a great job!!)

We enjoyed seeing our comedians Al Ducharme and Steve Moris perform again but decided to head out when Paul Tanner (a Vegas-style impersonator) took the stage. Sorry, but this is not our cup of tea, but I know others like it.

We wandered the ship, looked in the shops, and stopped to admire the artwork along the way.

2321093810104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

2276552630104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

2276552630104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We popped back to our cabin to change into comfortable clothes and put out our suitcases for pick up before 11:00 p.m. and then made our way up to the Sky Lounge for the final show here, A-Band-On-Ship. Party band South Side was joined by the Eclipse Orchestra and the jazz band After Hours for a jam session. It was a great showcase of their musical talents. The singer with South side has quite a good voice and we enjoyed seeing the other musicians perform together.

Day 8 - Saturday (Disembarkation)

I awoke quite early to see that we were already at the cruise terminal at the Port of Miami. It would be several hours before we were scheduled to get off the ship (we had an 8:20 a.m. departure time) so I popped up to Aqua Spa for some coffee and rolls and enjoyed our last few hours on the ship.

We headed to the Theatre (our designated meeting spot) around 8:00 a.m. and there were already announcing that our group could proceed to the gangway. The process was speedy and well organized. Within 10 minutes we had our luggage, were through customs and in a cab on our way to pick up our rental car. We were going to visit my son in Tampa prior to returning home.

I will wrap this up by thanking you all for encouraging me to continue this review. I have learned so many helpful things on CC and enjoy sharing cruise tips, opinions and advice with others who enjoy cruising with Celebrity as much as I do.

It was a wonderful week; I'm very glad I already have another cruise booked. I'll have to start planning that next week!

It's only fitting I think that I conclude this review with a photo of the Library!!

2942802870104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

Wishing you all a very happy holiday and prosperous New Year wherever your travels take you.

2832438300104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

Scott and Sandi

I will wrap this up by thanking you all for encouraging me to continue this review. I have learned so many helpful things on CC and enjoy sharing cruise tips, opinions and advice with others who enjoy cruising with Celebrity as much as I do.

Wishing you all a very happy holiday and prosperous New Year on land and sea.

Thanks so much for allowing me to live in the future a bit - you have given me a few ideas for our sailing next month!

Tom

Thanks Sandi for a terrific review. We will sail on Eclipse next Dec, and you gave e lot of first hand experiances for us to look forward to.

Yes I agree that sharing experiences and knowledge with each other ,taking the time to do so is very kind of all who do , so that we may anticipate and enjoy............... Many thanks, much appreciated. Joan.:)

Archived