Eclipse Review, 12-10 Sailing (LONG)

librarylady19

Sandi

Thanks for this report, I hope I get to read it all before I join the Eclipse on 31st Dec, our first Celebrity cruise. Really looking forward to seeing all the wonderful things on this ship. BTW I just love the little dog, I will have to stop by to see it everyday to stop me getting homesick for my little Westie! Keep up the good work and I will try to post a review when I return.

Sian

Finally got all my pictures uploaded last night and will get working on the rest of the review tonight!

Looking forward to reading more!

I read a recent review that spoke highly of their main show "Eclipse - the show" or something along those lines. Also mentioned was an impressive female impressionist. (Yes, an "impressive impressionist"... lol)

I was wondering what you thought about the comedians as well. Some copies of the daily activities from another recent sailing made it look like they had the same fellow most of the week... unless I was reading it incorrectly!

Tom

Looking forward to reading more!

I read a recent review that spoke highly of their main show "Eclipse - the show" or something along those lines. Also mentioned was an impressive female impressionist. (Yes, an "impressive impressionist"... lol)

I was wondering what you thought about the comedians as well. Some copies of the daily activities from another recent sailing made it look like they had the same fellow most of the week... unless I was reading it incorrectly!

Tom

We missed the Eclipse show as we were still eating in Qsine! There were 2 wonderful comedians onboard, as I'll report on shortly....

Day 2 - Sunday (Sea Day) - continued

Those were the only "organized activities" we participated in that day. I needed some sun and relaxation after the rough start to the day and spent some time at the pool with my Kindle and a pina colada. (Interesting note - I saw at least as many, if not more, people with Kindles than "real" books...so much more convenient).

2371533440104945102S425x425Q85.jpg

I liked the choice of pool areas and alternated between the indoor pool (Solarium) and the outdoor pool area, depending on the crowds and weather.

Only on sea days the pool area did get rather crowded. Of course, on those mornings the usual chair hogs were out in force (well their possessions were, they of course were nowhere in sight).

2609289930104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

I thought the bar service at the outdoor pool areas was very good…I enjoyed several yummy frozen drinks from the Pool Bar (recommend the Miami Vice, half pina colada, half strawberry daiquiri) as well as Strongbow cider from the Mast Bar.

2811133480104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

2685933450104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

It was so convenient to just hand the waiter your seapass and voila a drink appeared! I generally gave a $1 tip with each drink as well even though gratuities were included in the package. We honestly did not have one bad experience with bar service (and our only negative experience with the staff was the aforementioned shortcomings of our cabin steward).

Today was Formal Night and it was fun to see most everyone “dressed to the nines.” I know the topic of formal night in Blu has been strongly debated recently. I can verify that the dress code is indeed smart casual (at least on the Eclipse). I witnessed several men being seated sans jacket with no problems. That said, most people I observed were dressed "formally" (cocktail dresses for women with a few long gowns and suits for men with a few in tuxes). I was just glad no one was making a scene asserting their right not to wear a jacket as some had promised they would do! I do prefer formal night to be formal, but not enough to let it spoil my dining experience if others don’t comply.

As one would expect, the menu selections were quite good in Blu this evening. I had the macadamia encrusted sea scallops to start but (as was the case with several other dishes) they were quite bland.

2127678800104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We both opted for the rack of lamb that was served with lamb shoulder in puff pastry, Wellington style as our entree which was a great choice!

2273547820104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

I wanted to see the late night comedy show with Al Ducharme but unfortunately couldn’t keep my eyes open that long and finally had to admit defeat and “hit the hay.”

(Fortunately, he would be performing later in the cruise and we had the opportunity to enjoy his show then.)

Day 3, Monday (San Juan)

I started the day by enjoying an early morning swim in the Solarium pool, which was actually more like a “wave pool” due to the ship’s motion - fun and good exercise too trying to swim in the "current"!!

2313127920104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

The Aqua Spa Cafe in the Solarium area opened at 7:00 a.m. and was a very convenient spot to grap a light "first breakfast". I heard several people express surprise that the cafe is open to all passengers; some thought it was only for Aqua Spa passengers (obviously not Cruise Critic members!!)

Several mornings I popped up to the Solarium for a swim followed by a cup of coffee (which was not too bad) and fresh fruit. They also had good yogurt parfaits, muesli and oatmeal with a choice of toppings, and a variety of brioche-like rolls with fresh fruit spreads. E\They also had egg white omelettes made to order.

2520390950104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

The Solarium décor was very pleasing and I enjoyed the relaxing music that was piped in. I liked the color scheme, especially the poppy photographs. Two gripes, however…why are the hot tubs never hot and why on earth would they put a smoking area right between the pool and the entrance to the Solarium (on the port side). Yuk!! If you sat on the right side (literally), the Solarium was extremely pleasant and a nice shelter from the hustle and bustle and weather conditions that might beset the outdoor pool.

2325225280104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

I opted not to attend the Galley Tour held that morning as I had been on the tour on Summit and didn’t think it would be that much different (it was free of charge). We returned to our cabin to find an invitation to the Hands-on Cooking Class and Lunch with Chef Dena Marino in Murano at 12:30 p.m. (I had signed up for lunch in Murano on Saturday, not knowing about this program at the time, but was fortunate to be one of the first on the list for this very popular event!). It was definitely a unique experience and one of the highlights of our cruise.

15 guests gathered in Murano and were given chef’s aprons and toques to wear.

2765015450104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We enjoyed a glass of sparkling wine while Tony, the Maitre D’ of Murano introduced Chef Marino who explained what we would be doing in the kitchen. We were brought into the Murano galley where we prepared lunch under Chef Marino’s patient, expert guidance.

2271963220104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

It was a lot of fun, even though it was quite hot in the galley! I made fresh mozzarella balls and Scott helped stuff trout, which he helped to grill under the watchful eye of one of the Murano chefs.

2747499830104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

Another group of students made pesto. We all participated in the plating and serving of the dishes (accompanied by Chef Marino yelling at us to pick up the pace – just like in a real kitchen).

We then gathered in the Murano dining room, to enjoy the fruits of our labor, along with our choice of red or white wine.

2805932550104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

2753215650104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

Chef Marino had pre-made a delicious dessert of semifreddo with marsala wine that was served at the meal. She graciously answered our questions ((I’m sure by the end of the cruise she was quite tired of discussing her appearance on Iron Chef!!).

2771132270104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We each received a copy of the lunch menu signed by the Chef. The entire experience cost $30 pp and was worth every penny!!

By this time, the ship had docked in San Juan and we hurried back to our cabin for a quick clothes change and went ashore.

We had been in San Juan last December, both before and after our cruise on Summit. I was glad we had visited previously as we did not have a whole lot of time on this visit (3-10 p.m.).

Sandi, As usual, your review is fantastic. In fact your previous review of the Summit was the reason I booked my first cruise on the Summit in cabin 6146 for June 2012. I love the fact that you post menus as well as great and varied pics. Keep letting us know your favorite martinis and wines! Cant wait for your next installment. Thanks!

Thanks so much for the great review and pics, Sandi! We are booked on our first cruise ever on the Equinox to the Eastern Med in June. Staying AQ so your comments about Blu are helpful.

Hate to ask this but since early on you mentioned having dieted before the cruise....how much weight did you gain on this cruise? Your body type and your age appear to be similar to mine so I'm just curious. And you enjoyed your drink package as much as I think I will :)

Sandi,:) as usual your review and pictures are simply FABULOUS:D:):D

Thanks for sharing everything with us and I look forward to reading

more:)

The lunch in Murano's sounds fantastic!

I am a happily married man with a lovely wife and 2 young kids, but can I just say that I love the Library Lady and her Trip Report? :D

Can I just say that SOMEONE on here is apparently already in CRUISE MODE!!

Have a GREAT trip!!

Tom

Can I just say that SOMEONE on here is apparently already in CRUISE MODE!!

Have a GREAT trip!!

Tom

LOL! No doubt, you busted me! We fly to Miami tomorrow afternoon and I am SOOOOOO ready to get going!! I will also write a TR but mine wont be anywhere close to as good as Library Lady's! You start reading the TR's and seeing the pictures and it just makes you want to be there right now!!!

BTW, my aunt and uncle live in Viera and we take a trip every year down there to see them. They retired up there from Ft Lauderdale and it is a nice area. Every house in their neighborhood has a separate garage door for their golf cart!! Now that is living!!!

LOL! No doubt, you busted me! We fly to Miami tomorrow afternoon and I am SOOOOOO ready to get going!! I will also write a TR but mine wont be anywhere close to as good as Library Lady's! You start reading the TR's and seeing the pictures and it just makes you want to be there right now!!!

BTW, my aunt and uncle live in Viera and we take a trip every year down there to see them. They retired up there from Ft Lauderdale and it is a nice area. Every house in their neighborhood has a separate garage door for their golf cart!! Now that is living!!!

Cheryl told me I am not allowed to take up golf... she said I would become obsessed with it the way many others are - LOL!

Tom

SANDI!!!!!!!!!????????? No entertainment in the Martini Bar?? The Bartenders there are the best entertainment on the ship! And, you can hear the music from the lobby at night!;)

We just got back from our Nov 18 -12 day cruise on the Silhouette. This was our fourth cruise on S Class ships (1 Solstice, 2 Equinox and this one) The Martini Bars on each of these ships were our most fun place. All of the Bartenders are funny, engaging and just great.

As usual Sandi, great review and fabulous pics!! Good Job!

Luigi

We will be on the 7 Jan sailing of Eclipse. This is our first Celebrity cruise and thanks to you we already are somewhat familiar with "our" ship. Thank you for the time and effort it is taking and please keep it coming. I have a question about the Hands on Cooking lesson/lunch in Murano that you described in one post. Where does one go to sign up and should it be done when first on board? I love to cook and it sounds like my kind of class.

Mahalo

We will be on the 7 Jan sailing of Eclipse. This is our first Celebrity cruise and thanks to you we already are somewhat familiar with "our" ship. Thank you for the time and effort it is taking and please keep it coming. I have a question about the Hands on Cooking lesson/lunch in Murano that you described in one post. Where does one go to sign up and should it be done when first on board? I love to cook and it sounds like my kind of class.

Mahalo

This was a special event as part of the "Savor Your Destination" cruise. Don't think this is something they normally offer but others might know.

SANDI!!!!!!!!!????????? No entertainment in the Martini Bar?? The Bartenders there are the best entertainment on the ship! And, you can hear the music from the lobby at night!;)

We just got back from our Nov 18 -12 day cruise on the Silhouette. This was our fourth cruise on S Class ships (1 Solstice, 2 Equinox and this one) The Martini Bars on each of these ships were our most fun place. All of the Bartenders are funny, engaging and just great.

As usual Sandi, great review and fabulous pics!! Good Job!

Luigi

Guess we just didn't get there at the right times or we need to sail with you guys!

Wonderful review!! We are so excited about our April trip and this is only helping to make it seem real!

Sandi, did you really feel you guys got your money's worth out of the drink package? I am trying to talk my husband into it and he doesn't think we will!

Thanks!!

Wonderful review!! We are so excited about our April trip and this is only helping to make it seem real!

Sandi, did you really feel you guys got your money's worth out of the drink package? I am trying to talk my husband into it and he doesn't think we will!

Thanks!!

I took your lead on the Countdown clock!

Tom

Thanks!!

We are big fans of the drink package! I would say I probably broke even most days, some days I drank more than $60 worth. DH definitely exceeded the break-even point (of course he can easily outdrink me 2:1 anyway!) Add to this the convenience/service and the freedom to order drinks you might not otherwise try if paying a la carte and it's a winner for us!

There were signs at each bar with the Beverage Package information. Everyone I talked to who had the package was very happy!!

Day 3 - Monday, San Juan (continued...)

We had every intention of walking to El Morro for a second time (we were there last year but it was almost dark when we visited). However, we ended up taking the scenic route along the waterfront that was a dead end.

2129337560104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

2688908330104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

By the time we discovered this, we were too hot and sweaty to work up any enthusiasm for sightseeing. There were some lovely views from here and one could admire the fort walls and towers, just no sighting of the fort itself.

2620594870104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

2156348900104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

2778520880104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We encountered many of the friendly felines who live here along the way.

2052855600104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

By the time we discovered that the fort was not accessible, we were too hot and sweaty to work up any enthusiasm for sightseeing. There were some lovely views from here, just no sighting of the fort itself.

We walked back to the old town area and admired some of the architecture of Old San Juan.

2532433910104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

2365726480104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

However, the ship was calling us back and the promise of a dip in the cool pool and an icy martini was too hard to resist. It was actually nice to be on the ship when it is less crowded; I can understand now why some people don’t bother getting off the ship at ports of call they have visited before.

2002387490104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

Back Home!!

Archived