why do you like NCL?

dmen131

Please tell me why you prefer to sail on NCL.

I am currently deciding between Oosterdam; Sapphire Princess; Norwegian Spirit; and Infinity to Alaska (group of 5 DH and I, almost 30; my parents in their early 60's and newly widowed Aunt in her late 50's).

My previous cruise experience includes:
-Crystal (LOVED it)
-Celebrity (liked it a lot)
-Princess (liked it)
-Carnival (did not like it)

I'd love to hear your opinions on what makes this line special!

Thank you

I really enjoy the concept of Freestyle cruising. Having the ability to eat when and where I like is a high priority of mine, so for that reason both NCL and Princess work well for me.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;4;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
until we sail!!!

NCL Spirit - February 2005
Grand Princess - May 2003
NCL Sun - May 2002
NCL Sea - May 2000

Another vote for free-style cruising. My only significant problem with the other cruises I have been on has been the requirement to show up at a dining room at a specific time for dinner and to be stuck with the same tablemates for a week. (We had one bad experience with whiney, negative, drunken tablemates - which put me off cruising for a couple of years.) On our last cruise (with NCL) it was wonderful to eat when and with whom we wanted and it was great to be able to stay in our cabins at disembarkation until it was time to leave the ship. My husband also appreciated never having to wear a suit - he has to do that enough at work.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;2;1;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  Until NCL SKY

The things I like most about NCL are Freestyle dining and the relaxed debarkation. Instead of having to be out of the room in a public area by 8 AM, on NCL I can wake up at 8 AM and leave my room at 10 AM if I want.

Cecilia

I can be contacted at [email]ladyndnver@aol.com[/email]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;02;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
My Wedding!

We've sailed NCL twice in the past 12 months and enjoyed both cruises. The 1st was on the Dawn (wife and myself)...the 2nd on the Sun (we brought our 2 sons 25 and 19).

The Freestyle experience is definitely appealing to us. Being able to have dinner at various times, that suited us, removed any anxiety from having to watch a clock and be on time. Also, it was great to be able to choose a different restaurant each night for dinner. We weren't concerned with sitting at the same table or having the same wait staff in the restaurants. We found that the restaurant staff to be highly personable and very accomodating on both cruises. Having the daily gratuity added to the bill worked well for us.

We were concerned that our boys might become bored on the sea days, but that was certainly not the case. They had plenty to do and had a great time.

There was a good mixture of all age groups on the 2 ships as well.

If you choose NCL I'm sure you won't regret it. We're in the midst of planning a group cruise for June 2005 and are looking at several different lines as you are. Life is tough.

Enjoy!

Hope to be cruzin soon.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;6;26;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Until The Wife's Golden Birthday Cruise

Big Red Boat 10/1989
NCL Dawn 5/2003
NCL Sun 1/2004

[img]http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation11/Nature/Sun/Sun_in_glasses.gif[/img]

I also give a resounding "Yes" to NCL and freestyle cruising. I love eating where and when I want. I especially like eating with whom I want. Like Zeno I have had tablemates that I did not care for.

I like the fact that I did not have to be rushed to get off the ship. On another cruiseline we waited in a hallway. All of the clubs etc were full. We sat on our luggage or on the floor for over an hour before our color tag was called to disembark. That was awful.

Try NCL and enjoy !!!!!!!!

NCL Sun 4/02 - Carnival Elation 6/02 - NCL Norway 8/02
NCL Dawn 6/03 - RCI Monarch 1/04 - NCL Dawn 6/04

I don't think you will like NCL -if you like the fine food & service of Crystal & Celebrity.
NCL is definitely a step down.
Freestyle Cruising might be nice but since you are traveling in a group you will mostly likely all eat together at the same time every night. NCL's strong point is their entertainment, that is excellent.

I enjoy Freestyle, though I'm not married to it and will cruise on NCL and other lines in the future. Highlights from our NCL cruise to Alaska included Le Bistro, great shore excursions, quality pizza, and an amazing piano entertainer. We enjoyed the flexibility of freestyle, though we felt service may have suffered a little bit because of it.

I noticed you liked Celebrity a lot. We took two cruises last year. One was the Celebrity Galaxy, the other was NCL Sky. We enjoyed both, but Galaxy was far superior in food quality and overall ship fit and finish.

Like I said, we enjoyed both. They were very different experiences.

You should decide what's important to you and base your decision on that. If you're looking for more flexibility or are drawn to an NCL itinerary that is unique, I would go for it.

If a more luxurious experience is important to you and you desire finer cuisine, you may want to go with one of the other lines.

One thing that continues to intrigue us about NCL is their unique itineraries. We'll be sailing on an 11-night Hawaii and like the looks of the 8-night Star to Mexico and the 10/11-night Alaska for 2005. Unique offerings like that will keep us interested in NCL in the future.

Your Friendly Bartender

Another thing to consider...

Cabin size. Though this will vary by ship within a fleet, you may want to research it further if it's a priority for you. We were in a Superior Inside Cabin on the Sky. It was 40 or 50 square feet smaller than our bottom of the ship, lowest possible cabin category on the Galaxy. Cabin size is not a big priority for us, but I know it is for some folks. If this is important to you, make sure you compare your options...

All of your options sound fun. Enjoy!

Your Friendly Bartender

dmen is posting all over with this same question.

Dmen, please let us know what was appealing to you on Celebrity so we can make a true comparison.

I like NCL for different reasons than I like HAL and Celebrity but those reason may have no bearing at all on what you enjoy.

FREE Style is great. But other lines are allowing a Free Style disembarkation now. I'm fresh from Maasdam and they allowing cabin lingering now.

Given you choices and based on your past postitives I'd say NCL is the low choice on your list. But, we need more info to truly help you.

Jeff

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)
1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)
2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)
2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)
2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)
2004 Maasdam (HAL)

I am being a pain and posting all over!!! I am sorry, but I feel like people stick to the boards of their favorite line and it doesn't seem fair to only ask the ones on that board [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thank you all for your helpful and honest critique of Norwegian. I am not particularly enthralled with this itinerary, so I think that may have helped me narrow it down. Since this is the Spirit, we are talking about, I can't find cabin sizes anywhere!

Things that matter to me on a cruise are the food, feeling of understated elegance, good service, aesthetics of the ship, and condition it is kept in. We don't like loud or obtrusive entertainment, but we do like to have some options in terms of entertainment.

Thank you!

dmen-
I don't think it's a pain to post all over at all. I think the atmosphere on the boards can vary quite a bit by line and the responses you get could be quite different.

Your Friendly Bartender

Dmen,

I wasn't saying anything by that comment and who knows why I typed it.

I like NCL for free style dining, a freindly environment with lots of options at night and in providing interesting itineray options at a really great value. They tend to be staffed with friendly people (including the officers). They offer fun without the LOUD environment of a Carniavl ship.

I have experience with all but Princess among your choices:

Cabin sizes are best on HAL followed closely by most Mass market lines these days. I find that the bath fixtures are best on Celebrity.

Decor and aesthetics are a subjective. I perfer a nauticle feel to the ship, and access to ocean views without crowds. Some prefer fanciful decor while others like a more elegant surround.

Know that PAX density and staff per guest will be worse on NCL than your other choices. Best on HAL most likely.

Food is a Celebrity specialty. Not so good on HAL. I understand that Princess is worst of all.

Service levels vary from ship to ship. You've chosen desireble berths for the staff of all these lines. I'd expect HAL to be best over all followed by Celebrity.

You'll have better entertainment in a generally quiet day-time environment on Celebrity. NCL will have the best and most varied entertainment line-up but the day time PA noise and emphasis on the daiily activity schedule might not be your cup of tea.

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)
1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)
2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)
2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)
2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)
2004 Maasdam (HAL)

Hobbsey,

Don't worry. I didn't take offense to your comment at all.

And what I really enjoy is seeing how many people are so excited and happy with their vacation choice! Good to know that there has been so many positive experiences on all the ships.

having done celebrity galaxy and NCL Sun in the last year, my next choice will be to sail on the Sun again this winter. surprisingly, being a celebrity captains club founding member but not having cruised with them in several years, i found the food, which is very important to me, to be bland,lacking creativity, and quite frankly, tasteless and boring.
on the other hand, NCL's choices of restaurants, dining times,good service and value for the money will keep me coming back. going back to traditional dining was torture and i never thought i would feel that way until having done a 10 day Hawaii on the Wind. service was about equal but i will give a nod to "X" for their wonderful concierge class program. for a little extra the perks were enormous, i was pampered! but weighing them against each other my future cruises will be with NCL, where i started 39 cruises ago, have always been treated well and gotten the best value for the money. and some of the nicest memories!

"live long and prosper...so you may cruise!"

Dmen: You may want to look up the Norweigan Spirit under her old name: "Superstar Leo" of Star Cruises (NCL's parent company). The Leo is being sent to NCL permanently and is being renamed. You may find cabin sizes there.

The Spirit sounds very much like the Star, which I have sailed on and they are beautiful ships.

Pluses for NCL: Freestyle Concept (which has already been expanded upon by many on here.); Beautiful and clean ships. Friendly staff with good service on board. Plenty to do on board ship.

Negatives: Customer Service (not on the ships but before and/or after; unresponsiveness; inacurate information in their brochures.

I will leave it at that. Please remember that all of these posts on here are OPINIONS of different members. What one person my find fault with, another may think it was wonderful. Weigh the different comments, not only on this board, but the others you have posted on to come up with a decision that is right for you and your families tastes. Keep us informed of what you choose.

I certainly am a fan of Freestyle Cruising particulary the flexible dining times and optional formal wear. Princess has the flexible dining times but formal nights are formal nights. I also really like the production shows. The Indian food station for lunch. Ballroom dance instructors. Dollars off cruises with my rewards card.

As far as cabin size and layout go NCL is comparable to the other lines I've tried. Before the retirment of Norway they offered the smallest (Inside upper/lower) and largest (Garden villa) accomodations of any line. The cat BC we had on the Sun must have been the best laid out and roomy cabin we've ever had.

We have gone on a HAL cruise the last two years in addition to NCL cruises. The reasons for HAL are two; longer (10-14 days) more interesting itineraries, and cheaper prices than NCL.

Sorry if I'm repeating other folks here, but NCL also has wonderful itineraries. The new Spirit southern Caribbean itinerary, for example, goes to wonderful islands like St. Lucia and Antigua that are often skipped by the other lines. It also seems that many of NCL's ships offer more port stays than some other lines, which is great if you want to spend more time seeing stuff, less in a deck chair.

Freestyle is the number one reason, followed by relaxed crew, nice people and great entertainment. We too are thinking about the Spirit in November so are paying close attention to everyone's comments. It seems to be a very popular ship. When we talk about cabin sizes we have to compare apples and apples; our Sun cabin (balcony) and our Constellation cabin (balcony) were identical in square feet though I think Celebrity did a better job of utilizing every square inch. Food quality, in some cases Celebrity was a bit better, in others, not at all as good and though the service was very good, I was expecting something even better. I am sure you know you will not get Crystal service for NCL prices. You may get something else in return; a good, but different experience. Good luck with your choice. NMNIta

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

Thank you all again. It seems like there are a lot of freestyle lovers out there! We have some time to make up our minds. But I'll keep you posted regarding our experience. You've all been very helpful and kind.

They have a sushi bar onboard! At least there was one on the Dream 2 summers ago doing the Baltic cruise. And it was a real sushi bar, with raw fish (unlike the sushi on our recent HAL cruise). The Lido buffets were the most creative I've ever experienced. Each day that we were in a different country they had that food as the theme. In Russia, there were huge bowls of caviar and all the fixings, help yourself! And of course, freestyle. Having just come off a HAL cruise 2 weeks ago, the assigned table thing was awful. it's back to open seating of NCL, princess, Oceania for me.

Archived