Unbelievable disembarkation (Jewel)

B_Mc

Please tell me this isn't normal! This was only my third cruise but the disembarkation was a nightmare compared to #1 and 2!

All non-US residents were expected to be in the Safari Lounge for 6:45am where the staff was clearly unprepared to deal with the large numbers. They eventually handed out number stickers to order who would be called for customs. Many people ended up sitting in the Schooner Bar as overflow, many people standing.

After an hour we were finally called to meet with the customs official (we were group #11 of at least 25) which took all of 5 minutes and we were on our way to a very late breakfast.

Later, in the terminal, we line up AGAIN to meet with the customs officials and have our passport checked and answer questions a SECOND time! Why waste over an hour, very early in the AM only to have us line up AGAIN in the terminal?

Also, there was no priority or organization for the original inspection. It was first come, first served and I can only imagine the panic those with early flights or other reasons to disembark early were feeling. Thankfully we were in the last group, so we weren't worried, but it was absurd!

This was a terrible was to end our vacation, especially for the 7 first time cruisers with us who had nothing else to compare it to! I'm really curious if this is a Jewel issue, a Tampa issue or the normal for RCI. I wish I hadn't turned in my comment card before this mess began.

Please tell me this isn't normal! This was only my third cruise but the disembarkation was a nightmare compared to #1 and 2!

All non-US residents were expected to be in the Safari Lounge for 6:45am where the staff was clearly unprepared to deal with the large numbers. They eventually handed out number stickers to order who would be called for customs. Many people ended up sitting in the Schooner Bar as overflow, many people standing.

After an hour we were finally called to meet with the customs official (we were group #11 of at least 25) which took all of 5 minutes and we were on our way to a very late breakfast.

Later, in the terminal, we line up AGAIN to meet with the customs officials and have our passport checked and answer questions a SECOND time! Why waste over an hour, very early in the AM only to have us line up AGAIN in the terminal?

Also, there was no priority or organization for the original inspection. It was first come, first served and I can only imagine the panic those with early flights or other reasons to disembark early were feeling. Thankfully we were in the last group, so we weren't worried, but it was absurd!

This was a terrible was to end our vacation, especially for the 7 first time cruisers with us who had nothing else to compare it to! I'm really curious if this is a Jewel issue, a Tampa issue or the normal for RCI. I wish I hadn't turned in my comment card before this mess began.

Unfortunately, I feel your pain, but RCI has no control over this as the times are set forth by Customs and Immigration as to when non-US citizens have to report.

This is NOT an RCL or Jewel issue. It is an issue with ICE at this port only. When we boarded on Nov 12 last year there was a delay as everyone getting off Jewel that morning had to be fingerprinted. Please don't blame the cruise line for this!!!

We had a terrible disembarkation after our Jewel TA, Sept 2009. We were in Boston and waited for what seemed hours. We were told that it was the customs or immigration people who had caused the problem as they had not sent enough agents to process the ship.

It is the only bad disembarkation we have experienced.

Unfortunately, I feel your pain, but RCI has no control over this as the times are set forth by Customs and Immigration as to when non-US citizens have to report.

I get this, but what's up with the double-reporting? And couldn't RCI organize this into groups better and still meet the requirements.

I also forgot to add, about 30 mins after we had been waiting someone from the cruise director's staff announced that the customs officials had boarded and the process should begin quickly - we were sitting around for 1/2 an hour before they were even on board?!?! Just nuts.

And another issue that was pointed out (getting into a tangent here), if RCI knows that customs causes these issues, can't they offer breakfast options that work around this??? No room service, breakfast begins at 6:30 and ends at 8:30. Many people were waiting from 6:45-8:30! We were lucky to get into breakfast by shortly after 8. Even if they offered some decent breakfast options in the lounges while people waited....sheesh!

I get this, but what's up with the double-reporting? And couldn't RCI organize this into groups better and still meet the requirements.

I also forgot to add, about 30 mins after we had been waiting someone from the cruise director's staff announced that the customs officials had boarded and the process should begin quickly - we were sitting around for 1/2 an hour before they were even on board?!?! Just nuts.

I agree that there could have been better organization from the staff on board as they should have been well aware of how many non-US residents they had that would be required to present themselves that early in the morning.

The policy is "better you wait for them, than they wait for you"!! :p Why you had to report twice was a decision that was made by Customs & Immigration in Tampa. And, from we have experienced in other ports, there never is any rhyme or reason as to the way they do things.

it kept coming back to RCI.

If the government tells you 6 am, or 7am or whatever....the problem is you either believe them and proceed or you don't. so if you believe them and the ICE folks come onboard and decide they want some coffee or danish before they begin work....how can you blame RCI? or any cruise line for that matter!!!!

Next time you go to get your driver's license renewed or visit social security or stop by your friendly local VA, remember one thing....these folks do not get fired for doing their jobs inefficiently....they have no obligation to be anything but be on the job to collect their taxpayer funded paycheck. Your being inconvenienced is not their problem..

I understand the OP's frustration..but as others have pointed out it's tough for RCI...they have to provide passengers the information the night before, set up staff schedules etc.. If there is an emergency in port, or other delays (or no delays) with customs (somebody calls in sick, a random detailed inspection etc.) ...it's hit and miss for RCI. True maybe they could have a scaled down buffet for extended breakfast, but to be honest they have a really short window to prepare the ship for the next passengers coming on board.

To be honest though, I'm Canadian and fly via Pearson. We technically go through 2 checkpoints at Pearson when we arrive where they can ask questions. The first when they ask questions and stamp the customs card, then you get your luggage and when you hand the customs card back..I've been questioned about 50% of the time when handing my card back (and I'm well under the duty free limit, have normal baggage clean shaven etc.). I know people who never get questioned the 2nd time, and a few who get questioned all the time at the 2nd checkpoint.

When British customs came onboard on the transatlantic, they came onboard 2 or 3 days prior to the end of the cruise, very civilised.

Not sure why the American;s cannot do something similar. And there were only 2 of them!

We were also on the Jewel when it arrived in Tampa on November 12. We were staying on board for another 5 nights, as were about 35-40 other people. They sent us all to the main dining room, where we were to wait "about 45 minutes". Well, that turned into more than two hours while ICE fingerprinted all non-U. S. citizens. Once we got off the ship and to the Immigration booths, they zipped us right through.

They (RCI) did treat us to a nice lunch when we finally got back on board. The crew couldn't have been nicer, and were embarrased by the whole process. We don't fault RCI at all - they had no control over the situation.

it kept coming back to RCI.

If the government tells you 6 am, or 7am or whatever....the problem is you either believe them and proceed or you don't. so if you believe them and the ICE folks come onboard and decide they want some coffee or danish before they begin work....how can you blame RCI? or any cruise line for that matter!!!!

Next time you go to get your driver's license renewed or visit social security or stop by your friendly local VA, remember one thing....these folks do not get fired for doing their jobs inefficiently....they have no obligation to be anything but be on the job to collect their taxpayer funded paycheck. Your being inconvenienced is not their problem..

The op is not a US citizen(that's the reason for the delay) so I doubt there would be a need to visit the dmv, s.s. or va.

We are talking about Tampa, but it can happen in any port. Just depends on the mood of the Customs and Immigration people.

I'm non-US citizen.

I've embarked/dis-embarked at Los Angeles and San Diego. Both were pretty smooth, nothing like what was described here.

My parents who went to Caribbean also didn't complain about the process.

Is it a Tampa issue?

I'm non-US citizen.

I've embarked/dis-embarked at Los Angeles and San Diego. Both were pretty smooth, nothing like what was described here.

My parents who went to Caribbean also didn't complain about the process.

Is it a Tampa issue?

I have had a bad disembarkation at San Diego. though I am a US citizen, it seemed to be the CBP handling of non us citizen that caused the problem. As the op experienced, CBP told the cruise line to have all non us, non Canadian citizens meet in a certain lounge in the early morning. I cannot say if CBP arrived on time or how they handled the situation in the lounge, but, evidently, a few foreign nationals did not go! CBP would not clear the ship until those foreign national were screened....so the whole ship waited for hours as crew searched and paged the errant passengers. It was a mess. People missed flights.

On the other hand, the same system was used in LA on other cruise just a few months earlier and later. Those cruises had draw fewer foreign national, all complied with the request to go to the lounge, and everything went very smoothly.

So,Iluvcruising2, I think the effect of this screening system cam vary, depending upon the whether (a) a sufficient number of CBP agents arrive in a timely fashion to efficiently screen the requested persons and (b) whether all requested parties comply. I am glad that you and your parents have had easy disembarkations, but imagine if a couple people refused to go to the screening. If not in their cabin, they may be hard to find, especially if they are willfully uncooperative. By using this system, CBP puts us all at risk that somebody will be noncompliant (either by simply misunderstanding or willfully). I hope it never happens to you.

And another issue that was pointed out (getting into a tangent here), if RCI knows that customs causes these issues, can't they offer breakfast options that work around this??? No room service, breakfast begins at 6:30 and ends at 8:30. Many people were waiting from 6:45-8:30! We were lucky to get into breakfast by shortly after 8. Even if they offered some decent breakfast options in the lounges while people waited....sheesh!

When we B2B'd in Tampa on the Radiance in 10/10 arrangements had been made for us to avoid having to go off the ship for customs so, even as American citizens, we did the customs thing in the Colony Club Lounge along with the non-US citizens. They DID have coffee, OJ and doughnuts set up for those of us waiting. This only shows that SOMETIMES they do plan for this!

This must be a Tampa thing. On our recent disembarkation in Baltimore no mention was made to my husband (a green card holder) of going at a certain time. There were 4 customs counters off the ship-- one for non-US citizens. By 9am the ship was so quiet that we asked if we could go (we were driving so took the last departure time), and breezed through customs. (Turns out we were among the last 20 to get off the ship! We hung out in the library and must have missed our number, haha!)

Perhaps the Tampa ICE officials are poorly funded/supplied?

It seems to be a TAMPA issue. We did a b2b out of there in '10 on Radiance. All b2b and non-US folks had to 'report' to the Safari Lounge at 6:45. We had to thru Customs and get our new sea pass cards. Our biggest delay was the ship lost power and ICE couldn't use their computers so we ended up having to wait 20 minutes for power to be restored. It wasn't a great experience

So far easiest port to sail b2b has been San Juan.

My two disembarks at San Diego on two different cruise lines were as the Tampa disembark is described. The other thing that exacerbates this with certain cruise lines is that they refuse to page the no-show non-American passport holders in any language besides English. There are enough language abilities among any staff and crew to make the announcement in the language of the people being paged.

And before anyone jumps in to claim that the only language necessary to be spoken is English, note where your ship is flagged, where the Captain comes from, etc. These cruise lines have offices in the USA and some USA executives, but they are multinationals. They market to all parts of the world and benefit from having guests from all over the place who speak many languages. When I was on the Brilliance in Europe once, they repeated the announcements (appropriately) in about five languages.

I was on the OP's sailling as well and we were in group 20 of 25. We didn't get to breakfast until 8:20. It was the worst disembarkation I've ever experienced and was way worse than I anticipated. I won't be sailling out of Tampa on any cruiseline any time soon if this is the way it always handled there. Too bad for Tampa's tourisim economy. :cool:

It is my understanding that Port Canaveral used to handle immigration this way as well, but for whatever reason, they now handle it so that foreign nationals aren't singled out and inconvenienced at 6:00am and everyone is treated the same.

Archived