Circumnavigation South America Mariner Jan 6

s2000drvr

48th state is Arizona. Watch tower is Jehovah's witnesses. Not sure about the morocco city but would guess Marrakech. Noel would know the Hawaiian alphabet answer so I don't have to.

Actually, Rachel, (your former team), got it wrong!! They said 13 and the answer was 12!! We, by the way, got it right!

So did they say 12 or 13 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet? There are 12 from the English alphabet (a, e, i, o, u, h, k, l, m, n, p, & w) but there's also a glottal stop common to many Polynesian languages (called the 'okina in Hawaiian and usually printed as sort of a backwards apostrophe) which is often considered the 8th consonant/13th letter.

The answer Ray gave was 12. Thanks for listing the alphabet as I did not know which letters it consisted of!

S2000, having taken the same cruise with Regent, a few years ago, I have thoroughly enjoyed all of your reports and especially the photos.

We have retraced our trip via our photos, and memories are wonderful.

Weather kept us away from Devil's island. From your descriptions, it was just as well !!

This trivia nonsense is getting out of hand, though. Google has the answers.!!!

I would have thought Fez was the Maroccan city since all fezzes are red...

The description of Devils Island was fascinating. I read Papillon (Henri Charriere?) eons ago... And thought it was a frightful place. And so it seems to have been. I am not really sure why the Mariner stopped there?

I am sory your cruise is drawing to a close, but thrilled that that means we board on Sunday! Thanks to all who have written such interesting things about the South American cruise, 2012 edition!

And "Ralleydave" if you are reading this I have tried to reply to you about ten times but have had horrid connection problems with our CH server!!

Gerry

P

And "Ralleydave" if you are reading this I have tried to reply to you about ten times but have had horrid connection problems with our CH server!!

Gerry

P

No problem Gerry, assume it is about the e-mail I forwarded to you. Didn't know what else to do with it. Hopefully you can talk to Ray once we board and arrange another invitation. No need to waste time trying to respond and if something important and not private, just reply on this thread. Close to ours.

See you around the pool on Sunday.

Yes - see you on sunday! I suggest we both go and find Ray on Monday... Gerry

Fine with me. We can plan before our suites are ready Sunday afternoon assuming there aren't delays boarding.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but, we need to plan for the other CC members traveling with us.

Fine with me. We can plan before our suites are ready Sunday afternoon assuming there aren't delays boarding.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but, we need to plan for the other CC members traveling with us.

Assuming that you do not have an active Roll Call which is typically where you make arrangements?

Day 67 Barbados

What a glorious day! No exercise for us today!

We decided to take a photography excursion. There was only one bus and it was filled with about 32 people. Our guide was Ronnie Carrington. He is just amazing in his photography skills as we later found out when he showed us a few of his photos. His way of capturing people and the way he uses the natural sunlight is a what we are trying to accomplish.

Our first stop was a plantation with a very long driveway that was lined with palm trees. I was holding my camera horizontally when Ronnie suggested that a vertical shot would be better. What a difference!!

Our next stop was a chattel house that we could take pictures of. A chattel house is a house that was built many years ago and it was built on stones. The reason being was that the house could be easily moved on the back of a truck if needed. The chattel that we took pictures of looked very freshly painted and did not have the old charm that I would have preferred. Ronnie explained about the roof structure, being a high pitched roof so that if a hurricane happened, it would be harder to lift off. He also explained when the family grew, the house also grew with additions to the back of the house.

Ronnie was very patient with us and offered tips so that we could get some good shots. We drove to the Scotland District, high on a hill over looking the water with lots of fields in the front. The view and fresh air was great.

We drove along stopping every now and then for some beautiful shots. We ended up at the Atlantis Resort for a refreshment of rum punch. The views here were fantastic. This is a small place with 6 rooms that are rented out. I would call it more like a B & B. It would have been nice if this tour allowed us to have lunch there.

We were back in plenty of time for a late lunch Pool Side Grill.

Again, we lost in trivia. There is no competition for Rachel's ex-team!!! They are all wizards!

Dinner was in CR. We are thinking back from the beginning of this trip, and how time really has gone by in some instances, very slowly and others, so fast. I still love the western side of SA. Rich prefers the eastern, but we both loved the Amazon.

Tomorrow we will be in St. Lucia!

Day 68 St. Lucia

Another glorious day! We did our walk at 7a. It is amazing how great one feels when the exercise routine has been completed! It makes our day seem much longer.

Breakfast was a leisurely one in CR. We decided not to do an excursion as we want to start maximizing our pool time. Laundry was the first important task to accomplish today. While everyone was out and about, the machines were all mine.

Just around 10:30 we decided to take a walk around St. Lucia. This is a docked port, so we were right in the center of town. Headed to the ladies selling spices first. Picked up a few that I needed at home, and also bought some hot sauces. We meandered about for about an hour, checking out all the stalls. The weather here is not hot, just a comfortable warm and not very humid.

Went back to the ship in time for some lunch, then it was catch some rays time.

Another loss at trivia. What can I say? There was a very nasty outburst by some players at the gal who was doing trivia. Ray was not there. The poor gal is just reading the questions, then giving the answers. Why some arrogant people have to challenge the gal, is beyond me. It was totally not called for. I felt badly for the gal. This is not the first time this has happened. What is wrong with some people? Okay, I am off this subject.

We set sailed and watch St. Lucia slowly fade away. Really love this place and hope to come back some day for a land visit where we can stay a long time and take it all in.

Dinner was in CR with Dorothy and George. Our conversations were great and inspiring. Dorothy and George are a wonderful couple and I wish we had known them long before this trip.

Another fan here of Dorothy and George, such fun and interesting people. And so sorry this cruise is almost over. I have loved every minute, both while physically there and in spirit.

I echo the feeling above. I really feel that you have taken us along on he cruise, and made all the ports so very interesting. Thank you very much!

But my feelings are a bit ambivalent for as you disembark, we will be embarking - and I so look forward to that!

Many many thanks for all the time and efort you have put into hsaring your cruise experience with us all.

Gerry

Day 69 Gustavia, St Barts

Beautiful St. Barts! We had to tender to shore, but only a short enjoyable ride. The yachts and small craft made an inviting ride to shore. Truly looks like a European town.

We met up with Graham and Jane and headed to the shops to check out the latest in styles from Italy and France. The linen clothing is so very nice. Rich was very understanding in my need of new clothes. Managed to find three new tops.

We peaked into many stores and just admired the clothing displays, the ocean views, the traffic, the slower pace of life here. We were finally ready to park ourselves down and enjoy some beers and wine while people watching. The temps were just right, not too hot and not too humid.

We took the tender back just in time for lunch.

Managed to catch a few rays of sun. It was warm in the sun, but so relaxing.

Again, we lost at Trivia. Oh, well.

Today was a very special day for a very special lady. It was Dorothy's birthday! The group of us (Tom, Noel, Graham, Jane, Michael, Rich and myself) planned her birthday dinner. We pre-ordered French onion soup, and a wonderful roasted tomato tart. We all ordered our main course from the menu. Tom, Noel, and Michael decided that seeing it was Dorothy's birthday, (after all she is the Queen of Trivia!), that Dorothy would have to answer 16 trivia questions that they had thought up. Dorothy played along and she enjoyed herself and did quite well on the answers! We presented her the trivia prize (her birthday present). She was so pleased. After this, the cake with candles were brought out and the Regent's 3 piece band came over and played Happy Birthday while we all sang along!

Tomorrow At Sea!

Day 70 At Sea

What another glorious day today! The sun was shining, the seas were calm, wind was moderate. We did our walk right at 7a and then headed down to breakfast by 8:45a.

We started that dreaded task of packing. How does one pack 10 cases logistically? At home it was easy, here in this stateroom a bit confining to say the least. I did manage to get 4 cases done. This is not a task that anyone that I know likes. It seems like the trinkets have multiplied overnight. My alpaca rugs need to come home with me and not by Luggage Free. Rich thinks differently. I did buy two very small alpaca rugs for our kitties and I want them to have them when we arrive home. Rich thinks that the kitties will not notice if they arrive 5 days later with Luggage Free. I know my kitties, and they will notice they did not get a thing. They are coming home on the plane with us.

Regent had a private get together for all the Circumnavigation people in the Constellation Theater. As we all walked in, we were applauded by all the crew members from the chefs to the waiters, staff, etc. It was such an experience!! We were then treated to a 45 minute CD that Regent had prepared from day 1. It showed all the ports, parties, etc. that we had gone to. What a memory!! We were all presented with the CD that evening! So now we can play the CD and relive some of our experiences!!

A nice touch, Regent!!

We did have a nice lunch in CR. Following this, we sat in the sun for 2 hours. So nice and peaceful up by the pool. The clouds were just gorgeous against the blue sky.

Trivia followed. Period. Need I say more?

Michael arranged for the 9 of us to have dinner in Prime 7. It was our last time of dining together and we had a fantastic time. Dorothy decided to reverse the rolls and she made up questions for the 8 of us to answer. Rich did quite well. Maybe it was because of all the wine he consumed??

Tomorrow is another sea day!!

And we have all been treated to many more minutes than 45 by your wonderful postings! Thank you so very much for all those terrific details: for such warm and kind and lively and memorable observations about your friends on board, your activities there, and your adventures on land. Your "up" tone and your openness to the little and big pleasures of travel made for such pleasant reading all these many days. A real treat!

Thank you!

And we have all been treated to many more minutes than 45 by your wonderful postings! Thank you so very much for all those terrific details: for such warm and kind and lively and memorable observations about your friends on board, your activities there, and your adventures on land. Your "up" tone and your openness to the little and big pleasures of travel made for such pleasant reading all these many days. A real treat!

Thank you!

I echo that wholeheartedly.

Bob and I were along with Bev and Rich. It was fun to follow her entries to see what we might have missed. We did not always take the same excursion so it was good to see if we made the right choice.

As far as trivia, I am sure I would not have passed the entrance exam to get on Dorothy's team. We did win once but they were impressive. Good going.

And we did not get to dine with any of the cruise critic folks but did enjoy meeting them.

It was a wonderful cruise and great people on board. Hope we will meet again on the high seas.

I want to add my deep thanks to those of so many others.

This was extra special for me, as I was on the same ship at this time last year, in many of the same ports!

I have *loved* going through your photos of the places I've visited so recently.

One of your pics in Alter do Chão showed a building that looked very familiar, but not *quite*. I have photographs of that same building under construction! That ==really== put me back on that street, by the beach, right back there, where I had taken artistic photos of the unfinished ground floor and construction materials....

(I know it's kind of a slow-paced place, isolated, therefore not very cosmopolitan . . . but, when I was in Alter do Chão, I really had the feeling, "I could enjoy living here"....)* [* well, I'd have to be able to get out of there for international travel, but it's not too much harder to get around the world from there than it is from Nashville, perhaps ... boat to Manaus, fly to Rio, then to Anywhere....]

The Amazon basin is absolutely amazing, magnificent, magical. I very much want to go back. You helped me to almost do so!!!!

Thanks to all who have followed us on this great cruise!

We did not have any trouble disembarking, but those who went before us, seemed to have problems securing porters. By the time Rich and I disembarked, Regent had people directing us to wait in a short line to obtain a porter. Others said they had been waiting for an hour for a porter. We got off the ship about 9:20a.

Luggage Free took our cases as soon as we cleared customs. Then we were whisked away to the airport.

Since being home I have had a terrible cough with fever. Others on the ship had this throughout the cruise. I am glad that I got it while at home.

We had the best of times, between the staff, crew members and meeting new friends, this cruise has got to be one of the best we have taken. Regent treated Rich and I so well, it was hard to say goodbye.

Thanks again for following us!

Bev and Rich, if you're still monitoring:

First of all, I hope that the cough/fever is behind you, and that you're basking in your good memories and photos.

If you can manage the time/energy, do you think you could maybe make a simple little list of the 4 or 5 (or whatever) reasons each of you liked best "your" coast of SA? That'd be great--but even without that, thanks again for taking us along.

Bev and Rich, if you're still monitoring:

First of all, I hope that the cough/fever is behind you, and that you're basking in your good memories and photos.

If you can manage the time/energy, do you think you could maybe make a simple little list of the 4 or 5 (or whatever) reasons each of you liked best "your" coast of SA? That'd be great--but even without that, thanks again for taking us along.

Sure, we will be more than happy to comply! Give me a day or two! Rich and I were just talking tonight about this trip. I have to say it was the absolute best cruise we have ever taken. Will be back in a day or two! Thanks for asking this request!

That's terrific-- thank you and please take your time.

We'll definitely only be able to do one part of SA, so I'm hoping to get a good handle on the main differences so that I can choose wisely. (If my husband is even willing to fly that far, which is in some doubt.)

Our preference is for handsome natural scenery rather than churches, museums and such. We love an opportunity to see "wonders" that we'd not see anywhere else. We have zero interest in shopping.

Thanks so much!

Archived