Circumnavigation South America Mariner Jan 6

s2000drvr

A couple of times we have had a special Indian meal. Absolutely great! OK - not "Rasoï" type Indian but really good! Why not ask for that as well...

Falklands - IF you can go, to San Carlos Bay, it is very very moving. Beautiful scenery in the background. Quiet cemetary with many (not nearly all) of the British dead in the war. Not to be missed. Of course the penguins are also wonderful and also not to be missed! AND just maybe you will run into Prince William who is currently stationed at the base in the Falklands.

Thanks for your suggestion on a meal!

Re: Falklands - right now the seas are a bit rough and they will have to calm down quite a bit for us to tender. We are all keeping our fingers crossed.

Couple of ideas for the special dinner: Filipino, if you like Filipino food at all. The waiters will be in 7th heaven that you ordered it, and they will hover the entire time you are eating.

Or Indian curry. They do offer this on the regular menu, but you can special order an entire Indian meal with curry as well as other stuff. It is outstanding.

Thanks, Rachel! I will speak to someone tomorrow about both the Indian and Filipino meals. Your name came up at dinner tonight (Dorothy, George, Tom, Noel, and Michael). I think they all miss you!

Michael then appointed me to choose the next special dinner. I am thinking Indonesian but if any of you CC have some ideas, please let me know! I am sure many of you have done special requests!

For Filipino dishes, ask for Chicken adobo and fresh lumpia..... two of my favs. All the waiters and room stewards get excited that you enjoy food from the Philippines. News travels fast!

Thanks, Rachel! I will speak to someone tomorrow about both the Indian and Filipino meals. Your name came up at dinner tonight (Dorothy, George, Tom, Noel, and Michael). I think they all miss you!

Awww, that makes feel special. Tell everyone I miss you guys too.

Day 32 Enroute to Port Stanley, Falkland Islands Feb 6, 2012

Today was one of those lazy sea days. We just could not get motivated to do much of anything. The ship was rocky at times. We read, played cards. Rich won his first game since we left home on 1Jan!! He was very happy! Actually, if he did not win pretty soon, the cards would be on the ocean floor.

We had dinner with Dorothy, George, Noel, Tom, Michael and two entertainers. It was a great time.

The internet was so slow today that it took 15 minutes just to open up my emails. Hope for a great day in the Falklands.

tendering is a problem in Port Stanley - the day before we arrived in '08 no tendering had been possible. And apparently the day after we left, same thing. I hope you get lucky too!

When we were on the Med cruise in '10 Emdee and Tallship asked for an Indonesian meal. I couldn't go because we had a res. at Signatures that night, but they said it was delicious. And Indonesian food is very different from Filipino. (My step mother is Javanese!!)

Gerry

Day 33 Falkland Islands Feb 7, 2012

Today there were very strong winds and waves. The Captain tried two times to anchor without the wind blowing us around. The Captain decided to pull up anchor and sail to our next port. We were disappointed in not being able to see Port Stanley, but that only means some day we will need to make this trip again. (bucket list).

We spent another lazy day, reading and playing cards. I am not liking this card game any more. Rich won his second game in a row.

We had lunch in CR and it was good. Got a table in the middle again so as not to feel the motion as much. It worked.

Dinner was in Prime 7. Had the petite fillet with broccoli and those wonderful French fries. Rich had the same. Our dessert was not as good as previous ones. We order crème brule sugar free as our standard dessert. There must be a new dessert chef as there were no vanilla beans in it and it was quite runny. The crust on top where they torch the sugar free was so thick it was too hard to eat. We did speak to someone who assured us, it will not be like that again. Sure hope not. We do not eat sugar at night and like something simple besides ice cream. We do have a back up dessert that Rich brought the recipe for.

Our seas are quite rough and the wind is blowing very hard. Can hear it in the suite!! No show for us tonight, but did want to hear Geri Sager. Oh, well.

Another sea day tomorrow.

Day 33 Falkland Islands Feb 7, 2012

Today there were very strong winds and waves. The Captain tried two times to anchor without the wind blowing us around. The Captain decided to pull up anchor and sail to our next port. We were disappointed in not being able to see Port Stanley, but that only means some day we will need to make this trip again. (bucket list).

We spent another lazy day, reading and playing cards. I am not liking this card game any more. Rich won his second game in a row.

We had lunch in CR and it was good. Got a table in the middle again so as not to feel the motion as much. It worked.

Dinner was in Prime 7. Had the petite fillet with broccoli and those wonderful French fries. Rich had the same. Our dessert was not as good as previous ones. We order crème brule sugar free as our standard dessert. There must be a new dessert chef as there were no vanilla beans in it and it was quite runny. The crust on top where they torch the sugar free was so thick it was too hard to eat. We did speak to someone who assured us, it will not be like that again. Sure hope not. We do not eat sugar at night and like something simple besides ice cream. We do have a back up dessert that Rich brought the recipe for.

Our seas are quite rough and the wind is blowing very hard. Can hear it in the suite!! No show for us tonight, but did want to hear Geri Sager. Oh, well.

Real sorry you didn't touch ground at Port Stanley. I've been following your vacation all the way and was very much looking forward to your observations and pictures. Maybe I will have go afterall.

Rich should know you by now regarding losing and winning at cards. We all lose playing partners when we get too good at such things. You write that Rich brought a recipe with him as back-up. Do you give it to the chef or make it in your cabin?

Are the sea days getting 'old' as in too many of them for one trip? Jack Morris

Real sorry you didn't touch ground at Port Stanley. I've been following your vacation all the way and was very much looking forward to your observations and pictures. Maybe I will have go afterall.

Rich should know you by now regarding losing and winning at cards. We all lose playing partners when we get too good at such things. You write that Rich brought a recipe with him as back-up. Do you give it to the chef or make it in your cabin?

Are the sea days getting 'old' as in too many of them for one trip? Jack Morris

We have not given the chef Rich's recipe for Ricotta Cream as we wanted to see how tonight's creme brulee went. It was fantastic, almost as good as before, but still no vanilla beans. One needs vanilla beans for enhanced taste!

Yes, Jack, the seas are getting so 'old'!! However, now they are quite calm but we are moving extremely fast as we have another medical emergency and we need to get to land as soon as possible. The Capt. expects around midnight we will be docking.

Thanks for following us! Tomorrow will be Puerto Madryn.

Day 34 Enroute to Puerto Madryn, Argentina Feb 8,2012

What a wild ride we had last night! I thought we were on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in Disney World. We were rocking and rolling, up and down quite a bit. The winds hit 75 mph.

Managed to get to CR for breakfast. Had a middle table again. I guess I look green around the edges because there was no asking where we wanted to sit. Ate light with just a fruit salad and an English muffin.

We tried going outside for some fresh air, but the winds were so strong and it was still cold. We just hung around reading and doing some computer stuff.

Lunch was in CR and seas were finally starting to behave. Makes a big difference when that happens and the sky is blue, sun is shining. We sat by the pool for all of 5 minutes as the wind was just too strong.

At 4p we had a consultation for a Fitness Assessment with Janus. Man, if you want to know how bad you are physically, be sure to sign up for this!! Janus is excellent in his evaluation though and he hopes to help Rich with his bad knees to give him some strength. Janus told me “You are going to need more instructions than your husband”!!! What??? So, I cannot touch my toes. Now at this age, I am suppose to? Or it is a good idea to be more flexible?!! I can hardly wait for the next session which I think is going to be painful/sore. And this was voluntary............

We dined in CR with Dorothy, George and Michael which was totally unplanned. We just happened to see Dorothy and she invited us to join them. It was a great time, both food and conversations.

We are getting up before the sun tomorrow, yes, to walk our 4 miles!

Dear s2000drvr,

I have been reading your posts with great interest as I am planning on being on Mariner from BA to Rio later this year. I will be particularly interested in the state of the seas; I have been feeling very empathetic with your descriptions of the effect the rocking has on you. Prior to embarking in Buenos Aires we will be going to Puerto Madryn to see the penguins and whale watch, so any information you can provide on your excursion there, or things to see and do in the town, will be very much appreciated. I hope you have smooth sailing for the rest of your trip.

We tendered into Port Stanley. After an hour of walking 'Main' St. the wind kicked up and slight rain started. A loudspeaker car told all ship's passengers to return to the tender dock. We were lucky to get on the last tender. However, it took about 20 minutes to board the ship with officers waiting for us with worried looks.

The port reminded me of a Shetlands' (Scotland) island in summer!!!

Don't feel bad about missing it.

Your postings are excellent and bring back memories of our cruise.

Thank you.

Port Stanley itself is a bit of a run down English seaside resort. Maybe remove the "resort" from that sentence.

If you do return to the Falklands get a guide and transportation and go to San Carlos Bay and Goose Green. It is a long drive over corrugated dirt roads and three thousand cattle grids (OK - I didn't count them!!) When you get there it is so wild and beautiful and you just have to imagine the battles that were fought there on land and see. (You can see a marker where Col. H. Jones fell, kiled by a snipers' bullet. And the Argentine foxholes which are still there and you can crouch down in them) The small military cemetary at San Carlos overlooks the anchorage where the Navy ships were, and where they were attacked.

The overall impression of the scenery is a bit like the High veld in south Africa - browns, purples, some small hills and hardly a tree. And wind. Not a place I would care to live in, but a wildly lovely place nonetheless. Port Stanley is not!

Port Stanley itself is a bit of a run down English seaside resort. Maybe remove the "resort" from that sentence.

If you do return to the Falklands get a guide and transportation and go to San Carlos Bay and Goose Green. It is a long drive over corrugated dirt roads and three thousand cattle grids (OK - I didn't count them!!) When you get there it is so wild and beautiful and you just have to imagine the battles that were fought there on land and see. (You can see a marker where Col. H. Jones fell, kiled by a snipers' bullet. And the Argentine foxholes which are still there and you can crouch down in them) The small military cemetary at San Carlos overlooks the anchorage where the Navy ships were, and where they were attacked.

The overall impression of the scenery is a bit like the High veld in south Africa - browns, purples, some small hills and hardly a tree. And wind. Not a place I would care to live in, but a wildly lovely place nonetheless. Port Stanley is not!

Since I have not been to the Falklands I read all these comments with strong interest. My goal is to do the Horn in the next year or two so your comments are valuable to me. How far out does the ship anchor? Does Regent offer anything while you're ashore such as hot coffee on the dock? And is there a right and wrong time to visit the Falklands as best you can tell? Jack Morris

Day 35 Puerto Madryn, Argentina Feb 9, 2012

Woke up to the bluest skies, lots of sun, and the temperature is arising! Had a quick breakfast in La Veranda as we had an early tour. We did postpone our 6a walk until the afternoon.

We took the Highlights of Puerto Madryn and Gaiman. In my opinion, one could easily skip this tour and choose another tour. We loaded onto the coach and I believe there were a total of 4 coaches on this tour. The coach has a/c, but it is beyond me why some people do not take along a light sweater or jacket. Then they are the ones that are constantly complaining how cold it is. One lady said that she had pneumonia and wanted it warmer. Yes, she was hacking away. Okay, I am off on this tangent.

We drove through desert, lots of desert, almost all desert. There are some estancias but you could never see the homes as they are huge in acres. It took one hour to reach our destination which was the small town of Gaiman, a Welsh town. The purpose of the trip was to have tea there. We entered a very large room where there many tables set up. All the coaches got there at the same time, but we were directed to which table to go to.

The food was set up on the tables. There was a variety: small cheese sandwiches, raspberry squares, a cake with bananas, lemon squares, scones, bread, jams, fruitcake and probably a few more that I cannot remember. Tea was poured by the staff. There was plenty of plates of food. No one left hungry.

Next a local Welsh choir came and sang. They were very good and the crowd enjoyed them.

Our tour guide spoke excellent English, she was a delight. Now this next part you can skip reading unless you are interested in animal husbandry. What we learned is this (now I have warned you to skip this if you are queasy). They castrate the sheep here by a gaucho putting the sheep's testicles in his mouth and biting them off. I almost fainted at this thought. Can you imagine doing this or seeing this or being the sheep?

We now had an hour to go back to Puerto Madryn. The coach did explore the town a bit. I must say it is a nice town, clean, a shopping mall with some good stores. Along the streets were the small boutiques that sold everything from clothes to souvenirs. Rich and I got dropped off in the center of town instead of going back to the ship. There were lots of people milling about, stopping for lunch.

We were able to walk the short walk back to the ship, or we could have jumped on the ship's shuttle. We prefer the walking with the sun beating down on us.

Lunch was in CR, again another salad. We decided that we would do our walk for an hour in the afternoon and it was great once again to be able to do this. It was windy up there on the 12th deck, but invigorating.

After we started leaving the Port, the Captain came on to report that the ship hit one of the pilings and broke a window in Compass Rose. It was a good thing we left port around 4p and no one was down there dining. They will repair the window in Montevideo.

We dined in CR and had a fabulous meal. I had tandoori chicken and Rich had Tillapia. We chose the cheese tray with port for a change.

Tomorrow is a sea day, hopefully the seas will behave.

Best time to visit the Falklands is when it is sunny and 50F.

and you are on a lucky streak. !!!

Otherwise, lean into a cold wind and time yourself for the next ride back to the vessel? Right? Very few have ever reported they found a great day ashore and would like to have a second day for exploring. What? You're right! No one wants to stay in the Falklands longer that one very short visit. Since what I have just written is close to being the truth, what is it that keeps people living out their lives on that cold set of islands? Has there ever been a single traveler who sought to return to the Falklands? Anyone? Jack Morris

Has there ever been a single traveler who sought to return to the Falklands? Anyone? Jack Morris

Me!

I spent two glorious days in the Falkland Islands last month. First day was a visit to New Island and Saunders Island. Second day was a visit to Port Stanley. A little windy at Saunders but otherwise two spectacular days. There is so much more of East Falklands that I would like to explore along with more time to visit with the penguins and the albatrosses.

Marc

Me!

I spent two glorious days in the Falkland Islands last month. First day was a visit to New Island and Saunders Island. Second day was a visit to Port Stanley. A little windy at Saunders but otherwise two spectacular days. There is so much more of East Falklands that I would like to explore along with more time to visit with the penguins and the albatrosses.

Marc

Along with the penquins and albatrosses you may also be a rare bird who indeed has spent sometime in the Falklands. To do 2 days means you were there by some other means than a cruise ship? I suppose you shot some nice photos of New Island and Saunders and will share them here? Jack Morris

George says that the castration method you describe is traditional, it he doubts that they actually do it that way anymore except for tourists as there are very efficient devices available ( other than teeth).

This castration gig is reportedly done much in the same manner in parts of Hungary and in Lapland. Jack Morris

Jack Morris -

We anchored outside Port Stanley bay and there was a reasonably long (maybe 15mins) tender ride into the port. I can't remember whether there was hot coffee on the dock or not but there usually is (or ice tea, depending...) We were so bored with Port Stanley and tired from our wonderful but very bumpy and dusty excursion that we just headed for the next tender!

Best time to visit - the summer. Which is now. I would dread to think of what the Falklands are like in winter, with all that wind. Brrr! Anyway it is my impression that all the Cape Horn cruises happen in the southern summer - ie December, Jan and Feb.

to answer your question as to whether I want to return to the Falklands - No, I do not. I am very very glad I went, and even more glad that on that voyage we participated in a "Circle of Interest" on the Falkland War led by Jamie Miller a RN Commander who was shipwrecked twice in one day in that war (!) and he, one of the participants who is a British General and headed the "mopping up" operation afterwards and our island-based guide were amazing. it was a wonderful and unforgettable experience. But to go back? No thanks! I would rather go back to Capri!!

Day 36 Enroute to Montevideo, Uruguay

We lost another hour last night, making it a total of 3 hours since Ft. Lauderdale. Set the alarm for 6:45a to begin our one hour of walking. When we woke up, it was still a bit dark out, so we waited 30 minutes and went up to deck 12. It was so windy up there, that we decided to do our walk on deck 11. Not quite so bad, but still windy.

Breakfast was in CR, same old, same old, but good! Seeing it is a sea day we decided to catch up on some laundry. Rich took care of it while I got my nails done. I thought it was an excellent idea of mine. However, I did do the ironing.

Lunch was in CR and it was good, again. We heard Terry Breen speak on Montevideo. It looks like it is a lovely town. She also spoke of her new home there which is in the old part of town. She said that Uruguay is the size of Colorado, very small compared to the other countries here in SA.

We did manage to have a chocolate martini up in the Observation Lounge, then played another card game. Rich is getting to be a sore loser.

Dinner was in Signatures with Dorothy (Blue Whale) and George. They have changed the menu a bit and my mushroom soup has been replaced with a different version. Everything we had was delicious.

s2000dryr -

Can I ask you a huge favour? When you have a moment (and only when...) could you gently remind Ray Solaire that he said he would e mail me to get the list of the CC people who will be on the Mariner for the TA after you disembark? Rachel gave him my e mail address but here it is again -- Thompson "ar" verbier.ch Tell him I don't want to seem "pushy" - that's not me!! - but Wes has just posted the plans he has made with the CD for his cruise on the Voyager in terms of a "meet and greet" for CCers - and his cruise is a month after ours!!

Many thanks ! I really would appreciate it!

Gerry

Archived