Circumnavigation South America Mariner Jan 6

s2000drvr

We are spending two overnights in Lima. So we again woke up to gray skies and a bit cool. Off to the La Veranda for our breakfast which was not bad at all today. The first segment has ended and today the ship will be filling up with new passengers. We saw a lot of the people leave the ship, luggage in hand.

Our tour today was Treasures of Colonial Lima. We were shocked to find out that there were only 7 of us on this tour. Because this is a transition day between new people arriving, others departing for home and still others taking a side trip, our tour group was small.

We again received the goodie bag with the same type of treats as yesterday. Off we went, with morning traffic and people. Talk about crowded narrow roads. We first stopped at San Macros University. The courtyards were amazing, fountains in each courtyard. Also stopped by the Jesuit Convent of

San Pedro. This was like a huge cathedral. Each alter was different from the

other in style, some were from the Baroque period. These alters almost

reached the skies they were so tall. They were built in the 1700's and

survived the earthquakes. Really amazing.

We walked and walked all around Lima, felt like I was going to be a target for some cars at times as they drive really nuts here.

Lunch was suppose to be at a colonial home called Casa de Aliaga, but somehow another group had reserved the room, so we went to a private home for our luncheon. Upon entering we were given a short tour of some of the rooms by the lady of the home. Out on the courtyard we all were served Pisco Sours. It is a very refreshing drink, not sure you can buy this type of liquor at home. We were served canapes that were brought to us by white-gloved servants. The little cocktail napkin was linen with the embroidered initials of the own

Next we were brought to a small dining area where a large round table was set for us. There was brioche and butter on the small plates. The napkins again were linen, same for the tablecloths. The silverware was Sterling (I checked this out, but discreetly). Wine, both red and white, was served. We had the first course of an avocado, fava beans, tuna in a cheese sauce with polenta. It was so good. Next the main meal was a sliced beef with tomatoes, onions, peppers with a red wine reduction, along with both rice and french fries. It seems the main staple for vegetables/grain is to serve both rice and potatoes at mealtimes. This was followed by cut up mango and a native fruit in I think an orange sauce. Next was another native fruit made into a puree with little, tiny, teeny meringue cookies. We were filled to the gills.

Our tour ended and it was time to say goodbye to our guide. We really

enjoyed this tour.

Tonight we are dining in Signatures, the French restaurant.

What a wonderful experience for you. Your hostess for the afternoon must have opened her house on short notice and prepared a most gracious lunch. Kudos to her.

Sounds wonderful, but how did you find an appetite to eat in the evening also?

Not a problem eating at Signatures as we started with the cream of mushroom soup, then I had the salmon and Rich had the lamb, followed by a few pieces of cheese. We will exercise in the morning though!

Bev is doing a great job of reporting on our trip. Bob and I are also on for the entire 72 days. I am writing a blog and adding pictures when I can and anyone interested can take a look. It can be found at http://eileenandbob.blogspot.com.

It is taking some time to write these reports so you are welcome to look for more information. That is why I only do the one blog. We do get free internet but one does not want to spend that much time when there is so much to do and see.

Eileen

Eileen, have been enjoying your Blog posts since your travel post on Jan 5th. Thanks to Bob, and you for sharing. Thanks also to S2000drvr for her many on board Mariner SoAm

reports--very enjoyable too.

Will be following along on your blog and Eileen's now that we have left. Keep us posted!!

Glad that you have made it back home safely! Today is a beautiful, sunny warm day. First time the sun was actually out when we were doing our morning walk.

Day 16, Callao (Lima), Peru

Today we woke up to beautiful, sunny bright blue skies. The temperature is finally where we like it, warm.

Rich and I started our day with our one hour of walking around the deck. There were new and old faces.

Breakfast again was in Compass Rose. It was excellent as usual.

Today we decided that we have been toured out here in Lima. We needed a break so we stayed on ship but went to the little marketplace that is set up on the pier and another one just behind it. We did some minor damage there, and helped their economy a bit. I just love the scarfs, sweaters, pendents, earrings, rugs.

The rest of the afternoon was spent in the observation lounge sipping on a chocolate martini and relaxing.

Tonight we are dining with Blue Whale (Dorothy and George) in Compass Rose.

We always enjoy their company and are looking forward to it.

Tomorrow we will be in Pisco, Peru. The tour we will be taking is the Route of

Pisco. Ought to be fun.

S2000drvr,

Hope your dinner with Blue Whale (Dorothy and George) went deliciously well. Look forward to hearing about your visit to Pisco Peru. Next time your see Dorothy pls let her know we're enjoying her wonderful voyage reports too.

S2000drvr,

Hope your dinner with Blue Whale (Dorothy and George) went deliciously well. Look forward to hearing about your visit to Pisco Peru. Next time your see Dorothy pls let her know we're enjoying her wonderful voyage reports too.

Our dinner with Dorothy and George was so fascinating. They are both so well traveled that we enjoy listening to them. They are in the planning stages of their next cruises! They are really delightful. I will give Dorothy your message!

Day 17 Pisco, Peru

Pisco, Peru

What an amazing day today was! We opened the balcony doors to find us once again in the desert. I was not expecting this and if you asked where we were, I would have said Egypt (except I did not see any camels). Also, upon opening the doors, we were hit with the most awful fish smell. It seems there is a fishery just on the other side of us. I could do without that smell first thing in the morning!

We had breakfast up in La Veranda, champagne to start our day. We had an early tour this morning: The Route to Pisco. This was the most interesting tour because of our guide. He was full of history of Peru. Pisco is one of the most arid places in the world. We drove along in the coach and was amazed to see desert on one side, and crops on the other. They learned about great irrigation from the Israelis. The two types of irrigation are the drip and the flooding of the fields. We saw many types of crops from cotton, table grapes, mangoes, very large asparagus fields, pecan trees.

We arrived in Pisco and it was market day. I have never seen so many of those tut-tuts (I think that is what he called them). They are a motorcycle with an expansion in the back with a bench seat, enclosed. I do not think I could fit in one though, too tall. They were everywhere, very colorful.

The houses were the same as we have been seeing in SA. I call them bungalows. They are right on top of each other, very little space. The people that we passed all seemed happy to see the big bus go by and they all waved and had their smiles for us!

We drove on the Pan America Highway, regular roads, and narrow dirt roads to reach our destinations.

The first winery was rather interesting. They take the roots of the Peruvian grapes and graft them to the French grapes making a hardier grape with French characteristics. We did sample some of the wine, but I guess, I need more than a tablespoon to sample!!

The next winery we were shown was rather interesting as they showed where 8 people actually had to stomp on the grapes to produce the liquid. We did not see this process but were shown where the big tub was. Our guide use to stomp the grapes here. They worked from 6p to 5a. The reason for this was because there were no bugs around at those hours. I cannot imagine doing that. The guide said they had music to stomp by.

We had samples here as well of the Pisco. We will look for this at home.

By the time we got back it was after 2p and we rushed up to the Pool Side Grill to grab a salad with some chicken. Of course, we followed that by some ice cream, followed by our chocolate martini.

As we set sail, the Captain came on to announce that on the desert wall there would be Nazca lines of a cactus. We actually captured this in a picture. If you would like to see it, let me know and I will post it. They do not know for sure when the lines had been scratched on the side of the desert hill, but believe it was somewhere between 500BC and 500AD.

The islands around us as we are sailing out of port are amazing. There are low covered clouds surrounding the islands making them look unreal, like water is rushing over and around them. We are now sailing in a bank of fog with our horn blowing. In all our years of sailing, this is the first time we are in fog. Tonight we will dine in Compass Rose and have a relaxing evening.

Along with your other appreciative readers, I'm very much enjoying your posts. I 'll be interested to learn, at cruise's finish, what your favorite "leg" of the trip was. Not sure whether we'll ever make it to SA, but I'm trying to collect opinions about which itinerary it should be if we're able to do it. (14 days at most)

Thanks for all the details! Keep enjoying!!

Matarani, Peru

Beautiful sunny skies greeted us today when we did our one hour walk on the deck. The air is dry and the temperature is getting too cool. Took 15 minutes of walking to finally warm up.

Breakfast was delightful in Compass Rose, always efficient, friendly service. Again, lunch was in Compass Rose. However, we did go up to the Poolside Grill and have a spring roll and some sweet and sour chicken seeing it is Chinese New Year. We followed that up with our ice cream and two chocolate martinis today.

We were not to dock until 2p in Matarani. This is a working port, but a small one. There is a fleet of fishing boats in the small harbor. The desert has white caps which I believe are from the salt, very interesting.

We decided not to do a tour here and cannot figure out what we are really doing here. There are a few tours that are 7 hours long. They did not clear the ship until after 2:30 so that meant the tours were a bit delayed. Some of these tours required a 2.5 hour drive to reach the destination and another 2.5 of course to come back, leaving only 2 hours of touring. I did not want to come back in the dark on these narrow, winding roads. We are due to sail at 9:30p but I suspect we will be somewhat delayed due to the late departure of some of the tours. There was one tour that lasted about 2.5 to 3 hours, but we still decided to stay onboard.

Tonight we will be dining in Compass Rose, but tomorrow we have been invited to join another passenger in Prime 7 and we are looking forward to that.

Very slow, relaxing day. Tomorrow will be a sea day.

For those who wish to see our pictures here are some links:

http://photobucket.com/Salavery

http://photobucket.com/LimaPeru

http://photobucket.com/PeruPisco

Enjoy!

Sea Day

This was a delightful sea day. The temps were warming up a bit and it felt nice while we did our walk along the deck. We lost an hour last night.

There was an informal CruiseCritic get together in the Observation Lounge. Rich and I attended along with Linda and Bob, and Rosewood Jo and her husband. Dorothy and George were unable to attend.

Went to the lecture by Terry Breen. She is such a talented speaker, the time flies. She told us what to expect in the days ahead in Chili.

Backing up a bit, last night as we were going to dine in Compass Rose, the Matri'd asked if we would like to dine in Prime 7. Not one to pass up an opportunity like that, we quickly said yes. I had the chicken and it was outstanding. A half chicken was served in a small cast iron skillet. Rich had the lamb. Rich also said that it was outstanding.

The afternoon was spent just lolling around and enjoying the expansive ocean. We did try a Yellow Bird up in the Observation Lounge. This is one drink we do not have to have again.

We were asked by another passenger to join him at Prime 7 for dinner. Boy, two nights in a row!! It was a great dinner with both the food and conversations. I had the lobster tail and filet mignon. I would not recommend the tail as it was quite tough and dry. The filet was excellent. Rich had the sirloin strip and Michael had the rib eye. They both said it was delicious. Rich and I had our standing order of sugar free crème brulee while Michael had fruit.

Off to the show we went. A guitarist played and he was quite good.

Tomorrow we will be in Antofagasta, Chile!

Archived