8-Day Christmas Cruise on Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean (lots of pics!)

Well, it wasn't until we got over there that we learned that even though Bacardi closed at 6:00 (we thought we had plenty of time), the last tour was at 4:00. So, we got a cab, but then there was a local boy that was trying to bum a ride somewhere, so there was confusion. The cab driver only spoke Spanish, so Dad was hoping in and out of the cab. The only word Dad understood was "Bacardi," which the cab driver said over and over - "BACARDI BACARDI BACARDI BACARDI!" Well, I understood that the kid wanted a ride, so I was trying to tell Dad to get in the cab, but I was also trying to listen to the conversation between the boy and the driver. Anyway, the cab driver finally agreed to take the boy somewhere, and we were off - well, we arrived at Bacardi 5 minutes too late. They would not let us in. :mad:

Then we went to drop off the guy who delayed us - he only paid $1 for the ride. Then the cab driver dropped us back off at the ferry. We didn't pay for our ride - he didn't get out of the cab, so I don't think he expected us to.

Well, we'll just have to try it again next time. We took the ferry back slightly peeved.

398610_10151226644550013_569450012_22451448_380497086_n.jpg

407317_10151226644670013_569450012_22451449_960958842_n.jpg

430409_10151226644765013_569450012_22451450_647643820_n.jpg

401153_10151226644925013_569450012_22451452_1152943730_n.jpg

406394_10151226645090013_569450012_22451454_1058579937_n.jpg

Rachel really wanted to walk on the beach at night... it's something we do on our summer beach vacations. Well, we got down to the pool/beach and then remembered what we learned on the first night, before our cruise - they close beach access after dark.

428766_10151243828825013_1656591154_n.jpg

409098_10151243828935013_569450012_22494938_2058770869_n.jpg

430062_10151243829020013_569450012_22494939_1694638088_n.jpg

407116_10151243829140013_569450012_22494941_2071774680_n.jpg

Well, the security guard told us that we could walk on the beach, we'd just have to enter outside of the hotel, then she could let us back in.

418484_10151243829245013_1940089716_n.jpg

We were in no hurry to leave the next morning. Our flight wasn't until 4:00 pm. We had late check-out, so we went to the beach that morning.

We decided to forfeit our beach bag. :( My parents got it 26 years ago on their honeymoon in Hawaii, and we've taken it on every beach vacation I can recall! The bag held up well - but needless to say, it had seen better days.

427721_10151243840915013_569450012_22494974_628857657_n.jpg

One last picture of the beach...

401238_10151243840945013_569450012_22494975_1344913155_n.jpg

401307_10151243840975013_569450012_22494977_26228764_n.jpg

"But I don't wanna go home..."

(Just kidding!)

The much-anticipated airport story *warning - rants ahead*

I'm afraid it's been built up too much. The problem with the San Juan airport was that they didn't seem to be prepared for the holiday crowds.

We checked our bags fine, but the line for security was ridiculous. Now, we travel through ATL on a regular basis, and the security line is always super long, but it is very efficient and moves very fast. This line was stand-still. I suppose it was full of vacationers who don't travel much and aren't familiar with security procedures.

So after over half an hour of standing in line for security, it was finally time to go through the scanners. I'm lightening speed at this because if you aren't in ATL, the people behind you give you evil glares. (This actually reminds me of going through security in ATL headed to San Juan... forgot to mention this before, but there was a young lady, probably a few years older than me, who went through security then proceeded to stand right where the bags dumped out and put on her shoes, in the way of everyone coming through the scanners. I"m sure you all are very well-aware already, but in case you aren't, no matter what, pick up your shoes and take your bags to the benches right behind the scanners and then put on your shoes - that way you're out of the way and you don't clog up traffic. I believe I gave her an evil glare.)

I have a TSA-approved laptop case. It's the kind that you unzip and flip open so that your laptop case is strapped in on one side and your stuff is on the other. The signs it ATL clearly mark how to put your laptop through the baggage scanner. So, I opened my laptop case and Mr. Airport Security comes over and tells me I need to take my laptop out of the case. I muttered something about how it was TSA approved and I never have any trouble in Atlanta, and he says, "Well, they must not be following procedures in Atlanta." :confused: Really, dude? Not following procedures in the world's busiest airport??? 90 million passengers a year and they aren't following procedures? Crazy! They should really take lessons from the airport in San Juan. :rolleyes: I bit my tongue because it's never a good idea to mouth-off to someone who can keep you from boarding your plane.

Then Ms. Airport Security who was directing everyone through the scanners wouldn't let anyone go through the metal detector until all of their bags had made it through the baggage scanner. These people just weren't thinking things through.

We finally got through security and made it to the terminal... which was overflooded. So we ended up sitting at a nearby gate. Then boarding the plane took forever, as well. We were able to roll our carry-ons with us (we had to send them to be checked because they ran out of overhead space on the way over). I now know why they have difficulty getting everyone's rolling bags in the overhead bins - because there are selfish idiots who put their jackets, small bags, and Christmas presents in the overhead bins because they were the first ones on the plane and there is room. NONE OF THESE THINGS BELONG IN THE OVERHEAD BIN! Put your rolling bag up there and shove everything else under your seat. If you can't fit it under your seat, then I don't know how you managed to carry it on the plane in the first place. We had to do a little rearranging...

Now, I don't want to end on a terrible note.

We had an AWESOME, AMAZING vacation on the Adventure of the Seas! We visited beautiful ports and met great people. It was truly a wonderful holiday - and a month later, I still have the end-of-cruise blues! :(

I cannot wait until our next family vacation!!! (I sound like a corny Mary-Kate and Ashley video :D). Really, though - the next thing we have planned is my sister's graduation cruise with her friends and their families, and I've been planning the heck out of it.... there's only so much planning you can do for CocoCay and Nassau. I'm hoping we decide to cruise for spring break. I think we'll probably see if we can score a last-minute cruise. I've been looking at itineraries, and while it's tempting to sail RCI for a status boost before our cruise on the Monarch, Celebrity and Princess both have some cool itineraries and great prices (RCI is surprisingly high in comparison right now, but I think it will go down closer to that week). I've also been eyeing a few Carnival cruises. Though we definitely prefer Royal over Carnival, they have some good itineraries and prices that are hard to beat. Not to mention, I'd like to gradually make my way to platinum on CCL - only 8 more Carnival cruises to go!

That's kind of my life goal... to establish some sort of loyalty in Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and perhaps Princess. Considering that I'm only 20 now, it should be easy enough to do. :)

Thank you all for reading along! I've had a great time writing this report and reliving my cruise vacation!!!

(Just kidding!)

The much-anticipated airport story *warning - rants ahead*

I'm afraid it's been built up too much. The problem with the San Juan airport was that they didn't seem to be prepared for the holiday crowds.

We checked our bags fine, but the line for security was ridiculous. Now, we travel through ATL on a regular basis, and the security line is always super long, but it is very efficient and moves very fast. This line was stand-still. I suppose it was full of vacationers who don't travel much and aren't familiar with security procedures.

So after over half an hour of standing in line for security, it was finally time to go through the scanners. I'm lightening speed at this because if you aren't in ATL, the people behind you give you evil glares. (This actually reminds me of going through security in ATL headed to San Juan... forgot to mention this before, but there was a young lady, probably a few years older than me, who went through security then proceeded to stand right where the bags dumped out and put on her shoes, in the way of everyone coming through the scanners. I"m sure you all are very well-aware already, but in case you aren't, no matter what, pick up your shoes and take your bags to the benches right behind the scanners and then put on your shoes - that way you're out of the way and you don't clog up traffic. I believe I gave her an evil glare.)

I have a TSA-approved laptop case. It's the kind that you unzip and flip open so that your laptop case is strapped in on one side and your stuff is on the other. The signs it ATL clearly mark how to put your laptop through the baggage scanner. So, I opened my laptop case and Mr. Airport Security comes over and tells me I need to take my laptop out of the case. I muttered something about how it was TSA approved and I never have any trouble in Atlanta, and he says, "Well, they must not be following procedures in Atlanta." :confused: Really, dude? Not following procedures in the world's busiest airport??? 90 million passengers a year and they aren't following procedures? Crazy! They should really take lessons from the airport in San Juan. :rolleyes: I bit my tongue because it's never a good idea to mouth-off to someone who can keep you from boarding your plane.

Then Ms. Airport Security who was directing everyone through the scanners wouldn't let anyone go through the metal detector until all of their bags had made it through the baggage scanner. These people just weren't thinking things through.

We finally got through security and made it to the terminal... which was overflooded. So we ended up sitting at a nearby gate. Then boarding the plane took forever, as well. We were able to roll our carry-ons with us (we had to send them to be checked because they ran out of overhead space on the way over). I now know why they have difficulty getting everyone's rolling bags in the overhead bins - because there are selfish idiots who put their jackets, small bags, and Christmas presents in the overhead bins because they were the first ones on the plane and there is room. NONE OF THESE THINGS BELONG IN THE OVERHEAD BIN! Put your rolling bag up there and shove everything else under your seat. If you can't fit it under your seat, then I don't know how you managed to carry it on the plane in the first place. We had to do a little rearranging...

Very well said....I will leave it at that!

I found the "posiest OP" comment funny - I am a "posy" person. I'll own up to that. I've always got my hand on my hip and my legs in a proper stance. If I'm going to take pictures, I'm going to pose so I look nice.

I had to laugh when I read this... all of the photos of my daughter on the 5 ni Liberty cruise we just got off of look just like yours! And indeed, you ALL look beautiful! She called them her 'glamour' shots :)

Also nice to see your comments about vacationing with your family. We love to travel with our kids as well. Thank you for sharing your wonderful review - I've been following along for quite a while now!

Ann

One question....was there a welcome back party for crown & anchor past passengers? I read another adventure review and she said they didn't have one or at least she didn't get an invite. Just wondering if they have now done away with that too.

Yes, they had the first welcome back party for all C&A members on the third night in Studio B (ice rink). That's when they showed us their new "The Sea is Calling" promotion. We also received chocolate bars with seashells on them - a new treat! They also recognized three couples for having the most cruise nights onboard and provided them all with a bottle of champagne.

The C&A party for Platinum+ guests was held on the 6th night, I believe. It was in the Imperial Lounge. They had a couple dance for us as entertainment (this was the first time I'd been to a C&A party with entertainment).

We received a letter in each of our staterooms at the beginning of the week, welcoming us back and highlighting the two parties as C&A events to attend. We also received invitations the night before each party with our cruise compasses which we took with us as a "ticket" to the event.

Yes, they had the first welcome back party for all C&A members on the third night in Studio B (ice rink). That's when they showed us their new "The Sea is Calling" promotion. We also received chocolate bars with seashells on them - a new treat! They also recognized three couples for having the most cruise nights onboard and provided them all with a bottle of champagne.

The C&A party for Platinum+ guests was held on the 6th night, I believe. It was in the Imperial Lounge. They had a couple dance for us as entertainment (this was the first time I'd been to a C&A party with entertainment).

We received a letter in each of our staterooms at the beginning of the week, welcoming us back and highlighting the two parties as C&A events to attend. We also received invitations the night before each party with our cruise compasses which we took with us as a "ticket" to the event.

What evening was the Captains welcome aboard event held and was it on the Promenade deck?

Boy, you are right on top of things. Thanks so much for your speedy and detailed reply....and oh boy, I'll get to go to the Platinum + too. :D 1st

time! Again, I have really enjoyed your review and appreciate all your time spent on it.