What's the best upgrade you got?

MRF777

We booked a lower level balcony on our first cruise and were upgraded to an AB mini-suite on the Crown last year. Tried the same trick this time but I think we are sticking with our BD balcony this time around as we sail in less than 4 weeks and our room assignment hasn't changed since day 1. That being said, as long as we have a balcony, we will be happy!

No upgrades for us - we travel with teens and book 3 cabins close together, marked no upgrade.

On our first cruise, we booked Ae mini suites, my M/FIL got upgraded to an AA minisuite, we were *upgraded*, although I'm not sure it really was an upgrade - ended up in D120 - an AC - 4th from the front of the ship!

Did any of you who got upgrades find that it happens most often with a certain category? I have a category BC booked, a midship balcony on Baja. Should I really get my hopes up that I could a mini-suite upgrade? I've been on two other princess cruises with no upgrade. When booking, I select the exact room I want, and not guaranteed room. Just wondering if there is something I could do different!

The original Royal Princess did not have any balconies, built in 1984. She went to P&O as Artemis, and now sails for another European company as Artania. Royal Princess #2 now sails for P&O as Adonia. EM

You're mistaken. The old Royal had a deck of balconies. Our best upgrade was from an outside on the old Royal to one of the balconies. We also had an upgrade from an outside to a balcony on the Tahitian Princess (a sister of the second Royal) but she had more balcony cabins so our odds of upgrade were a bit better than on the old Royal. The best upgrade we didn't take was on the old Sky Princess, from an inside to a mini suite plus on board credit, but we would have had to change our sailing date to get that one. BTW, none of these were guarantees.

On our first cruise, we were upgraded from unobstructed oceanview to BA balcony.

Last summer on the Grand, we had sort of an upgrade situation. There were problems with the cabin we booked due to a Princess agent's mistake. End result of many many conversations with Princess was an upgrade from BC balcony to AA mini-suite. Very nice cabin!

I'm not sure I'd want to be upgraded to a PH suite--might totally spoil me to staying in a cabin I could actually afford! :rolleyes:

Is an upgrade mandatory? I have booked BB, did not suspect an upgrade so haven't specified "do not upgrade." I'm now curious if given, will it be mandatory to accept, or is it an offer that I can refuse if necessary? Is there a notation in Princess contract?

Our best upgrade was on the Golden Princess in 2001. We'd booked a Plaza Deck cabin thinking they were the most inexpensive (I've learned since that it's a preferred deck by many). Anyway, we didn't have a cabin assignment until we got to the pier, when the baggage handler had to check the typed manifest to find out what to put on the tag. We had been put in Aloha 303 (still pay homage to that cabin!). It was an outside, with a balcony and was a handicapped cabin. It was VERY large!! It really spoiled us.

We haven't gotten an upgrade of that magnitude since.

We've now been on the Plaza Deck 3 times (the last one Jan 22-29), right by the foreward lifts that take us by that A303 cabin on Deck 15 to go to the pools and Horizon Court.

On this cruise, we had booked a highest level obstructed guaranteed cabin and thought we might get a balcony, but, got the Plaza Deck with a window. It was like "going home". LOL. Our assignment didn't come until 11 days before the cruise.

Lynne

Our best upgrade was on the Golden Princess in 2001. We'd booked a Plaza Deck cabin thinking they were the most inexpensive (I've learned since that it's a preferred deck by many). Anyway, we didn't have a cabin assignment until we got to the pier, when the baggage handler had to check the typed manifest to find out what to put on the tag. We had been put in Aloha 303 (still pay homage to that cabin!). It was an outside, with a balcony and was a handicapped cabin. It was VERY large!! It really spoiled us.

We haven't gotten an upgrade of that magnitude since.

We've now been on the Plaza Deck 3 times (the last one Jan 22-29), right by the foreward lifts that take us by that A303 cabin on Deck 15 to go to the pools and Horizon Court.

On this cruise, we had booked a highest level obstructed guaranteed cabin and thought we might get a balcony, but, got the Plaza Deck with a window. It was like "going home". LOL. Our assignment didn't come until 11 days before the cruise.

Lynne

Anticipating our third cruise with Princess, and second on PLaza deck (yes indeed, OUR deck of choice!!) Never any upgrade here, but I suspect its the fact we have four in a cabin that wouldnt help us there!!

;)

oh man...Im prayaing for an upgrade..Id even pay a little bit more for one.

We are booking our cruise this weekend for a mini suite on the grand but ideally would really really prefer a vista suite as we have a 1 yr old traveling with us..but for double the price my husband was not budging on paying that much :mad: so suck with a mini.

As for upgrades well on a RCI we booked an inside for 12day ..it was our first cruise....we paid $1,000 to be upgraded to owners suite..was the best money spent.

probably is that every cruise after that has been compared to that cabin..hahaha

By the way, normal upgrades on Princess are free. What you received on RCI was an UPSELL.

Archived