What's the best upgrade you got?

MRF777

Not to threadjack or post off topic, but are these upgrades something you asked for or were just pleasantly surprised with upon boarding? Do you book with specific rooms or just guaranteed?

Thanks! I love reading these.

Not to threadjack or post off topic, but are these upgrades something you asked for or were just pleasantly surprised with upon boarding? Do you book with specific rooms or just guaranteed?

Thanks! I love reading these.

Upgrades just happen. You don't ask for them. Most happen with guarantee bookings, but others also with assigned bookings.

Upgrades just happen. You don't ask for them. Most happen with guarantee bookings, but others also with assigned bookings.

Soo cool :cool: Thanks!! We are first timers on Princess with an assigned booking so we won't hold our breath. But it would be a neat thing, that's for sure. Still, the stories here are pretty neat. Thanks for the explanation.

From an obstructed OV to a window suite on the Golden to Alaska, as a solo traveler! I almost rattled around in the suite, it seemed so huge.

I wasn't told at the pier, I only found out when my keycard wouldn't work in the room I was expecting to be in, and there was someone else's name on the door - I went down to the desk to find out what they were playing at, you should have seen my jaw drop ...

Balcony to a suite on HAL the only one out of 15 cruises. We did get a suite for the price of a balcony on Carnival but that was a special offer so not really an upgrade. Walk in wardrobe, seperate dressing area and huge balcony...super:)

25th anniversary and 1st booking with Princess. We took a AD Mini-suite on a 7 day RT from Seattle on the Sapphire Princess. It was her 2nd sailing – inner passage. 2 days before we arrived in Seattle, we got notified we were upgraded to a full suite (C-750, on the aft). Wow! The Jacuzzi tub had not even been used yet (it did not start, the maintenance came up, and in 2 minutes it was at full speed). We were sold on Princess and now have 13 sailings under our belt. I still work, and we are now just at our 32nd anniversary. We sailed Carnival a few times with the kids (now 24 & 29) and they like Princess too (they were not with us on the upgrade). We have been upgraded from AE or AD to AA a few times, but now almost always take a guarantee on the aft…. Next is a TA on the aft… on Princess, of course!

My dad was a Capt in the Merchant Marine and sailed every sea and every ocean. I retired from the USAF (my wife says that is her retirement… mine is still in-work), but have found that while flying is faster, sailing is my passion. Learned to sail on a 25 and 42 foot sail boat on the San Francisco Bay (taught by my Dad) and am not going to stop till I can’t get out of bed any longer (about 30 years from now, I’d hope!).

So – 1st Princess cruise, upgraded to a full suite. Princess was smart – I’ll forever be a fan.

How does one do this... specifically book a gty for an aft cabin? That would be great... but I can't seem to see that anywhere on the Princess site. We specifically booked an aft facing cabin on the Crown for our B2B in Oct - there didn't seem to be an option to book aft gty - but if that is now possible for future cruises I would love to take advantage of that!:)

Thanks

How does one do this... specifically book a gty for an aft cabin? That would be great... but I can't seem to see that anywhere on the Princess site. We specifically booked an aft facing cabin on the Crown for our B2B in Oct - there didn't seem to be an option to book aft gty - but if that is now possible for future cruises I would love to take advantage of that!:)

Thanks

Yes, I normally book the aft under a guarantee, else, you could be upgraded to a mini. Although I like the mini's - the upgrade is often to Dolphin deck which is too low for my taste. If you go to the princess cite, you can book the aft if you know the cabin numbers. Take a look at the deck plans and then place the cabin you want. If open, it will grab it for you. Aft cabins (Balcony) are nominally BA, so they actually cost a bit more than a lower grade mini – but they are also in the same location as a lot of full suites – because the ride is great back there. The balcony is bigger too, and if it rains, you can still use it while the ship is sailing due to the speed of the ship (usually…, there could be exceptions, but I’ve not found one). Bad point is, if you book guarantee, you will not be upgrades. Good thing is you get a really nice balcony aft cabin!

You can also ask your TA to check and book it for you, or call Princess direct and ask.

Yes, I normally book the aft under a guarantee, else, you could be upgraded to a mini. Although I like the mini's - the upgrade is often to Dolphin deck which is too low for my taste. If you go to the princess cite, you can book the aft if you know the cabin numbers. Take a look at the deck plans and then place the cabin you want. If open, it will grab it for you. Aft cabins (Balcony) are nominally BA, so they actually cost a bit more than a lower grade mini – but they are also in the same location as a lot of full suites – because the ride is great back there. The balcony is bigger too, and if it rains, you can still use it while the ship is sailing due to the speed of the ship (usually…, there could be exceptions, but I’ve not found one). Bad point is, if you book guarantee, you will not be upgrades. Good thing is you get a really nice balcony aft cabin!

You can also ask your TA to check and book it for you, or call Princess direct and ask.

I'm sorry... but I still don't seem to be able to find where I specifically book "aft cabin gty" for a cruise. I'm beginning to think maybe you actually mean NOT a gty, but a "confirmed cabin and marked for no upgrades specific cabin number"... is that what you actually meant?

I'm so confused...:confused:

I'm sorry... but I still don't seem to be able to find where I specifically book "aft cabin gty" for a cruise. I'm beginning to think maybe you actually mean NOT a gty, but a "confirmed cabin and marked for no upgrades specific cabin number"... is that what you actually meant?

I'm so confused...:confused:

No, you are correct, I'm using the wrong language I suspect. I specify the cabin number and 'no upgrade please'.

oh man...Im prayaing for an upgrade..Id even pay a little bit more for one.

We are booking our cruise this weekend for a mini suite on the grand but ideally would really really prefer a vista suite as we have a 1 yr old traveling with us..but for double the price my husband was not budging on paying that much :mad: so suck with a mini.

As for upgrades well on a RCI we booked an inside for 12day ..it was our first cruise....we paid $1,000 to be upgraded to owners suite..was the best money spent.

probably is that every cruise after that has been compared to that cabin..hahaha

Yes, it was the Royal Princess that was inaugurated in 1984, christened by Princess Diana at the time and last sailed in May 2005 before becoming the Artemis for P& O. We had a balcony as we ate many breakfasts out there.The balcony was right next to the bridge and we waved alot to the officers running the ship. Mrs. Lorraine Arzt was on the voyage as well.

No, you are correct, I'm using the wrong language I suspect. I specify the cabin number and 'no upgrade please'.

Ohhh okay then - that makes more sense.:) We did that too with our aft corner balcony - marked it no upgrades. We would actually rather have the corner aft than a mini... but if Princess wants to upgrade us to a full suite, well then we'd happy to accept!! :D;)

Just got our cabin assignment yesterday. Booked an EE gnty and got P201. Very first cabin in front of the ship. Did not get an upgrade, but still keeping my fingers crossed that maybe we still have a chance. Can't complain, I'm the one that booked gnty.

• 3 weeks later...

It was in 1996; we planned our wedding on the Star in Alaska but 2 weeks before it hit a huge rock and was out of commission. We were booked for an inside and to make up for it next cruise Princess gave us $500 OBC and a balcony mid ship.

Myrna

Archived