What's the best upgrade you got?

MRF777

My first Princess cruise, in 1997 on Regal Princess: from the lowest category inside guarantee to an outside deluxe on Aloha Deck. Larger than a balcony cabin but with no balcony, and just steps away from the aft observation area with two hot tubs.

We got a fantastic upgrade last February on the Caribbean Princess. We had booked a BE Guarantee and we were given a Window Suite plus $250.00 per person per week. We were on a 7 day B2B cruise out of San Juan.

We had all the perks of the suite and $1,000.00 shipboard credit. I don't think we will ever see an upgrade like that again.

I know we didn't have a balcony, but we toughed it out in the full suite with Sabbatini's breakfast every day. :D

My first Princess cruise, in 1997 on Regal Princess: from the lowest category inside guarantee to an outside deluxe on Aloha Deck. Larger than a balcony cabin but with no balcony, and just steps away from the aft observation area with two hot tubs.

This is the same upgrade I got on the Regal. It's the best I've gotten. 10 categories, I believe.

25th anniversary and 1st booking with Princess. We took a AD Mini-suite on a 7 day RT from Seattle on the Sapphire Princess. It was her 2nd sailing – inner passage. 2 days before we arrived in Seattle, we got notified we were upgraded to a full suite (C-750, on the aft). Wow! The Jacuzzi tub had not even been used yet (it did not start, the maintenance came up, and in 2 minutes it was at full speed). We were sold on Princess and now have 13 sailings under our belt. I still work, and we are now just at our 32nd anniversary. We sailed Carnival a few times with the kids (now 24 & 29) and they like Princess too (they were not with us on the upgrade). We have been upgraded from AE or AD to AA a few times, but now almost always take a guarantee on the aft…. Next is a TA on the aft… on Princess, of course!

My dad was a Capt in the Merchant Marine and sailed every sea and every ocean. I retired from the USAF (my wife says that is her retirement… mine is still in-work), but have found that while flying is faster, sailing is my passion. Learned to sail on a 25 and 42 foot sail boat on the San Francisco Bay (taught by my Dad) and am not going to stop till I can’t get out of bed any longer (about 30 years from now, I’d hope!).

So – 1st Princess cruise, upgraded to a full suite. Princess was smart – I’ll forever be a fan.

Oh -- Wow!!! that beats mine! I love the Royal... took her on a 15 day RT from Ft Lauderdale to Devils Island with 6 stops at beautiful small islands inbetween.... what a beautiful ship! I was on the aft... huge balcony! Great view... didn't always know where I was going, but always knew where I'd been.... Lucky you! On the last voyage too! wow....

SJSULIBRARIAN - sure on the date though, I thought she just did the world tour a year ago and left last Spring (2011?)

Dan

25 cruises and some 350 days and not an upgrade in sight

yet often hear about first timers getting fantastic upgrades

Luck of the draw I'd expect. We were at the right place, right time. Normally we book guaranteed now on the Aft, as we like the view & ride there. I'd guess if you have done 350 days on Princess, you are staying put. We had zero on Princess, and now have 112 days with 14 more coming up - and are still driving to elite - in 2013? Hope so... Love cruising, upgrades or not!

Congrats on the 350! I can only dream of the places you have been!

Oh -- Wow!!! that beats mine! I love the Royal... took her on a 15 day RT from Ft Lauderdale to Devils Island with 6 stops at beautiful small islands inbetween.... what a beautiful ship! I was on the aft... huge balcony! Great view... didn't always know where I was going, but always knew where I'd been.... Lucky you! On the last voyage too! wow....

SJSULIBRARIAN - sure on the date though, I thought she just did the world tour a year ago and left last Spring (2011?)

Dan

The original Royal Princess did not have any balconies, built in 1984. She went to P&O as Artemis, and now sails for another European company as Artania. Royal Princess #2 now sails for P&O as Adonia. EM

We've gotten two nice upgrades. First from an inside to a balcony on the Grand. Then we received an upgrade from a balcony to a mini suite on the Star. Of course we got hooked on the mini suite and have booked them ever since.

We had a balcony cabin on a RCI ship. A week before sailing, we were offered the owner's suite for an extra $1,000, we turned it down. When we arrived at the port, we found out we were given a family cabin which was a double cabin, a quad cabin, with a livingroom.

Archived