Dining Room Attire

jawas

Getting ready for my first cruise on HAL in May, and I'm really excited ~ going to Bermuda again doesn't hurt either :D

I haven't seen any threads about this so far......I've only cruised on Carnival before and wondered if anyone has been on both and can help me with interpreting HAL's dress code:

Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women.

For example, on Carnival, I typically wear capris to the Dining Room for dinner on non-formal nights, since they've made up a lot of my summer apparel for the past several years. I don't wear cargo-style.

What do you think? Should I hit the Spring sales?? :eek:

Getting ready for my first cruise on HAL in May, and I'm really excited ~ going to Bermuda again doesn't hurt either :D

I haven't seen any threads about this so far......I've only cruised on Carnival before and wondered if anyone has been on both and can help me with interpreting HAL's dress code:

Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women.

For example, on Carnival, I typically wear capris to the Dining Room for dinner on non-formal nights, since they've made up a lot of my summer apparel for the past several years. I don't wear cargo-style.

no problem on embakation day - after that :confused: I have a friend that has the niciest calicos I have ever seen.

But I wouldn`t do it - a casual long skirt sure but not calicos JMO:D

no problem on embakation day - after that :confused: I have a friend that has the niciest calicos I have ever seen.

Good point. I word to the wise is sufficient.

Only if you fee obligated to keep up with the elites.

Thanks, but I think I'll leave my cat at home...

Capri's will be fine. That's what I wear. Enjoy your cruise!

I have a pair of deep red capris that have floral beading on one side, very pretty, which I wear now and then to dinner; they're dressy with either a tank and burned-out floral top, or a flowing angelica top, and with low heeled dressy sandals. I'm 5 feet 0" and capris fall long on me so they don't look anything like shorts. I feel comfortable in these in the MDR but wouldn't wear my striped capris to MDR dinner. Otherwise I usually wear slacks or a long sundress with appropriate overtop; I don't wear long skirts, they make me look like old mother hubbard becasue I'm short, and certainly not short skirts because I'm not 25 or that slim anymore:).

With that said, you will see capris and you will run into those who disapprove. I wouldn't go out and buy a new wardrobe but you may want to have some other options in your luggage too in case you feel that your capris are not dressy enough for you.

BTW I would wear any of my capris to MDR for breakfast, lunch or afternoon tea and feel just fine about it. I hope this helps you some. m--

Sorry?

The poster means that all dress code threads start out with an innocent question and quite quickly turn into very entertaining and always confrontational "popcorn" threads. Everyone has a strong opinion as to acceptable dress in a white tablecloth, fine china and elegant surroundings style dining room. I have very strong opinions myself, but like most long term posters on this board, I very seldom express that opinion any more. It is more fun to make my popcorn, sit back and watch the thread self-destruct until it gets locked or removed.:)

Because I find the MDR too cold for my comfort, I usually wear slacks. However, I have occasionally worn capris with a nice top and have never felt under dressed. Don't worry about the fashion police. They don't shoot real bullets.

Because I find the MDR too cold for my comfort, I usually wear slacks. However, I have occasionally worn capris with a nice top and have never felt under dressed. Don't worry about the fashion police. They don't shoot real bullets.

I have never seen any fashion police on a HAL ship:)

Capri's will be fine. That's what I wear. Enjoy your cruise!

I agree with Twinkletoes, Capri's will be just fine in the MDR on a Smart Casual night..

Hope you enjoy your cruise..

Only 14 days & 17 hours before our NA cruise..:):):)Suitcases are down & I'm fine tuning my clothing list..:eek:

Can't wait..:)

Cheers...:)

Betty

I agree with Twinkletoes, Capri's will be just fine in the MDR on a Smart Casual night..

Hope you enjoy your cruise..

Only 14 days & 17 hours before our NA cruise..:):):)Suitcases are down & I'm fine tuning my clothing list..:eek:

Can't wait..:)

Cheers...:)

Betty

Hope you enjoy your cruise!! I haven't started packing yet ... but I am thinking about it! I need to get out and look for a few new tops.

Archived