When Is A Passport Needed For Private Tours?

P&C2011

I am in the planning phase for my Mediterranean cruise on the Carnival Breeze in September and I have a question:

If I am either doing a private excursion or touring around on my own, when do I need to bring my passport off of the ship?

My thoughts are either 1) Never - because it is too risky to lose your passport OR 2) Only when the next port is far enough away that you would have to catch a flight (either within the same country or another country) if you were to miss the ship.

Looking for advice.... Thanks.

We have been to a few ports that require you to carry your passport. Other than that we never take it off the ship.

The only thing I can think of is if you are going on an overnight excursion or crossing an international border.

So neither of you recommend taking the passport with you just in case you were to miss the ship?

We have been to a few ports that require you to carry your passport. Other than that we never take it off the ship.

The only thing I can think of is if you are going on an overnight excursion or crossing an international border.

Within Italy, no passport is required.

However, several countries do require passports when touring off a ship. Tunisa, and Russia, for example.

Your cruise line will tell you when this is required.

Some cruisers were reporting last season that Croatia requires you to carry a passport. In Egypt and in Israel, you must carry your passport with you. I can't think of any other Mediterranean countries besides these that have a requirement for passports to be on your person.

Short of that, it is a matter of personal preference as to whether you should carry your passport. Be aware that on some itineraries (primarily those that leave the EU for Turkey, then return to the EU), the cruiselines may hold your passport. They may also do so in advance of arrival in Egypt (to provide everyone with the "quick stay" visa stamp).

There are risks either way, I suppose. For me, I choose to leave my passport somewhere safe (e.g., in my safe in the hotel or cruise ship) rather than carry it. In my research and experience, the likelihood of getting it stolen or losing it outweight the risk of needing it ashore. Others feel differently.

Edited to add: If you do choose to carry your passport, you should keep it in a very secure location on your person, i.e., a hidden money belt, secret pocket, neck pouch, etc. Never keep it in an unzipped pocket or in a backpack, fanny pack, or purse that can be grabbed/snatched.

This cruise is more of a Western route (Barcelona to Marseille, Florence, Rome, Naple, Dubrovnik, Venice, Messina, Palma de Mallorca, and then back to Barcelona) so the hopefully no issues with country requirements.

Currently thinking I would carry the passport in one of the hidden belt holders (the ones you keep inside your pants that loop onto your belt), but of course I would rather not have that discomfort (and only carry smaller items like money/cards there) if everyone thinks the risk of missing the ship is small enough.

Thanks for your opinion.

Some cruisers were reporting last season that Croatia requires you to carry a passport. In Egypt and in Israel, you must carry your passport with you. I can't think of any other Mediterranean countries besides these that have a requirement for passports to be on your person.

Short of that, it is a matter of personal preference as to whether you should carry your passport. Be aware that on some itineraries (primarily those that leave the EU for Turkey, then return to the EU), the cruiselines may hold your passport. They may also do so in advance of arrival in Egypt (to provide everyone with the "quick stay" visa stamp).

There are risks either way, I suppose. For me, I choose to leave my passport somewhere safe (e.g., in my safe in the hotel or cruise ship) rather than carry it. In my research and experience, the likelihood of getting it stolen or losing it outweight the risk of needing it ashore. Others feel differently.

Edited to add: If you do choose to carry your passport, you should keep it in a very secure location on your person, i.e., a hidden money belt, secret pocket, neck pouch, etc. Never keep it in an unzipped pocket or in a backpack, fanny pack, or purse that can be grabbed/snatched.

Wow - never heard of that, but it is great info.

If you are not onboard, a ship officer will go to your cabin and get your passport from the safe. It will be given to the ship's agent on the pier to give to you when you make it back.

We recommend seldom to ever carrying a Passport within Western Europe. The safest place for a Passport is locked securely in a safe whether it be on a ship or in a hotel. It is a good idea to make a photocopy of your main passport which you can easily carry in a purse or pocket. As far as missing the ship, the strategy here should depend on the next port. As long as the ship is staying within the EU you would be OK without a Passport since you can travel freely within the EU. Otherwise, this might be the exception to the rule and you might want to carry your Passport in a secure manner. It is also important to carry the name and telephone number of your ships' Port Agent so if something goes wrong you can give them a call and let them know about your problems. The agent info is always given to passengers and is found either in the daily schedule or on a separate hand-out with port info.

Hank

P.S. On many cruises the cruise ship will actually take your passport on embarkation and not return them until near the end of the cruise. In such a case it is still possible to get your Passport during the cruise, but you have to make a special request at the Guest Relations/Pursers desk.

Passport is a hotbutton, haven't seen the discussion for a while :D

Some say what if you get left behind, especially on a private tour where the ship won't wait.

We never took it, also dending on what ports you visit the ship make take the passport. If not, leave in the safe, and if you miss the boat they will go to your cabin and likely look in the safe for it and leave it with the port agent. I personally didn't take it for any of our tours, nor did any of our party of 11-15 in the ports, but its personal decision. I think the likely hood of losing/stolen much higher than missing the boat.

My response is that select a reputable tour operator, be first of the ship. You'll have easily an hour lead on the big bus tours. Plan wisely and if traffic or other issues arise you will be way ahead of the bus. Plan to be back 90' before departure. In every port we did private we were on the ship sipping a drink by the pool watching the last bus come in. If there were / was an accident on the main road we'd have been way infront of the bus. FWIW we saw much more than the big ship tours and for less too.

So neither of you recommend taking the passport with you just in case you were to miss the ship?

I never really thought of the "being way ahead of the tour bus" angle. Comforting thought.

Definitely going with reputable companies. CC has been INVALUABLE for reading reviews of tour companies.

Passport is a hotbutton, haven't seen the discussion for a while :D

Some say what if you get left behind, especially on a private tour where the ship won't wait.

We never took it, also dending on what ports you visit the ship make take the passport. If not, leave in the safe, and if you miss the boat they will go to your cabin and likely look in the safe for it and leave it with the port agent. I personally didn't take it for any of our tours, nor did any of our party of 11-15 in the ports, but its personal decision. I think the likely hood of losing/stolen much higher than missing the boat.

My response is that select a reputable tour operator, be first of the ship. You'll have easily an hour lead on the big bus tours. Plan wisely and if traffic or other issues arise you will be way ahead of the bus. Plan to be back 90' before departure. In every port we did private we were on the ship sipping a drink by the pool watching the last bus come in. If there were / was an accident on the main road we'd have been way infront of the bus. FWIW we saw much more than the big ship tours and for less too.

• 2 weeks later...
We recommend seldom to ever carrying a Passport within Western Europe. The safest place for a Passport is locked securely in a safe whether it be on a ship or in a hotel. It is a good idea to make a photocopy of your main passport which you can easily carry in a purse or pocket. As far as missing the ship, the strategy here should depend on the next port. As long as the ship is staying within the EU you would be OK without a Passport since you can travel freely within the EU. Otherwise, this might be the exception to the rule and you might want to carry your Passport in a secure manner. It is also important to carry the name and telephone number of your ships' Port Agent so if something goes wrong you can give them a call and let them know about your problems. The agent info is always given to passengers and is found either in the daily schedule or on a separate hand-out with port info.

Hank

P.S. On many cruises the cruise ship will actually take your passport on embarkation and not return them until near the end of the cruise. In such a case it is still possible to get your Passport during the cruise, but you have to make a special request at the Guest Relations/Pursers desk.[/quote

It is easy to travel without a passport within the EU if you are an EU citizen. If you miss your ship and are not an EU citizen, then, although you might get away with crossing internal borders by car or train (random checks are carried out), a passport is required if you have to fly to the next port to catch the ship.

This question always boggles my mind. Why do you have a passport?

I have a passport to prove I am a US Citizen, it is my legal form of identification when I am outside of the United States. I certainly wouldn't pay in excess of $100 for one, if it wasn't required to travel to foreign countries. I've even left my driver's license at home, as it is not accepted most places as legal identification.

Do you drive your vehicle without your driver's license?

That passport is not safer anywhere but on your person. Nobody else is going to take care of it like you will. It isn't their responsibility, it's yours.

On our Grand Princess Med cruise, we had our passports until leaving Kusadasi. We were supposed to go Mykonos, but the port was aborted due to high winds. The Captain came on the PA and asked EVERYONE to come to the Purser's Desk with their passport, we were given a ticket to retrieve it. They held the passports the 4 days we were in Greek waters. I wasn't happy about it, but there was nothing I could do about it. As soon as the announcement was made that we could retrieve our passports, we did so.

In our experience, if the cruiseline takes your passport on boarding the ship (usually to help with any customs officials) then they will return them to you if you are required to have it with you at a specific port.

Technically you are supposed to have your passport with you at all times for most EU countries. Few are ever asked to show it. We keep ours with us as we have had our passports stolen from a hotel room (In Victoria, BC of all places), we keep them in a ziplock in our waist belts, the ziplock is just to protect any documents if it's warmish.

If you are doing an overnight stop and are checking in to a hotel, hotels in many countries will require a copy of your passport as per local laws.

There are many discussions on almost every travel board about whether to carry with you or leave in a safe, you have to decide what is best for you.

You must have been on the same cruise as me, we missed Mykonos for huge winds too.

I recalled the day we sailed they collected our passports and they returend it the evening before we arrived in Barcelona.

FWIW when we checked into our hotels in Barcelona and Venice as well as my many travels in the far east many a time the hotel took my passport.

Its a matter of personal opinion as to whether one keeps it on their body. I could argue I would need my passport, birth certificate, SS card and drivers license evertime I step out of house :D.

Safe is a matter of opinion, I would suggest what is the probabillity of you getting your documents stolen be it credit card, money, passport while traveling versus needing your passport because you got stranded. I will guess that on a cruise with 4000 folks and 7 port stops that a few tens of people will lose or get somethign stolen ( imagine that thing is your passport ), versus getting left behind. On our ship I believe in the 7 stops, figure 28,000 people on/off only two people left behind. I have no clue to how many lost or got something stolen, but I'll venture much higher, which probability do you want. Be stuck in disembarkation port with no ability to get on the airplane home, or much lower probability of stranding in port....

This question always boggles my mind. Why do you have a passport?

I have a passport to prove I am a US Citizen, it is my legal form of identification when I am outside of the United States. I certainly wouldn't pay in excess of $100 for one, if it wasn't required to travel to foreign countries. I've even left my driver's license at home, as it is not accepted most places as legal identification.

Do you drive your vehicle without your driver's license?

That passport is not safer anywhere but on your person. Nobody else is going to take care of it like you will. It isn't their responsibility, it's yours.

On our Grand Princess Med cruise, we had our passports until leaving Kusadasi. We were supposed to go Mykonos, but the port was aborted due to high winds. The Captain came on the PA and asked EVERYONE to come to the Purser's Desk with their passport, we were given a ticket to retrieve it. They held the passports the 4 days we were in Greek waters. I wasn't happy about it, but there was nothing I could do about it. As soon as the announcement was made that we could retrieve our passports, we did so.

I know there are two strong opposing views on this, but personally I would never consider taking my passport off the ship unless specifically instructed to do so by ships' staff. I have had things stolen from me and never ever want to experience that terror and panic again. Not having my passport with me allows me to relax and enjoy my port day rather than being constantly worried about having someone bump into me and next thing I know I am passportless.

We have travelled extensively in Europe (months at a time) and I have never ever been asked for my passport other than at hotels. When cruising, I take the name of the port agent with me when I leave the ship, and were I to have difficulty in getting back to the ship, would call and ask them to retrieve my passport from my cabin before the ship sailed.

I agree you should leave the passport on the ship, in the safe if it is not taken from you. You are unlikely to miss the ship but your port agent will have it for you in that case anyhow.

When you are carrying it, the money pockets with a belt loop are great. We also use a large safety pin to pin the pocket inside the pants. I once mis-threaded my belt and was very glad to have the safety pin back-up.

Archived