Soda & Coffee

CMcG

We'll be on the Island Princess going to Alaska near the end of May and I'm trying to decide about coffee or soda packages.

We aren't really coffee snobs - but if we just can't stand the regular coffee - how much does a cup of fresh brewed coffee cost? We really drink more tea - what sort of assortment of tea can we expect for no additional charge? I'm thinking we can probably get by without the coffee card but would rather buy sooner in the cruise than later. I'm actually hoping that the regular coffee is just fine. :)

I don't drink any carbonated drinks but hubby enjoys club soda several times a day. What would that cost? How much would he have to drink to justify the unlimited soda package?

Also - do you have to be in a special venue to order the fresh brewed coffee or can you get it anywhere coffee is served?

Thanks for all your help

Cheryl

Coffee - Try the free stuff. It is not great, but I find it is ok. Others can't stand it. If you hate it then you can decide on the card. For an occcasional cup you are probably better paying as you go. Tea - check their offerings to see which you like. If there is something you don't see, ask. They may have it, but not put it out.

Soda - Soda sticker is priced so if you drink 2 per day, you are better off NOT buying the sticker. Three or more per day and they are a good deal.

Coffee - Try the free stuff. It is not great, but I find it is ok. Others can't stand it. If you hate it then you can decide on the card. For an occcasional cup you are probably better paying as you go. Tea - check their offerings to see which you like. If there is something you don't see, ask. They may have it, but not put it out.

Soda - Soda sticker is priced so if you drink 2 per day, you are better off NOT buying the sticker. Three or more per day and they are a good deal.

Thanks Paul - now for the follow up questions :D

Do you have to go somewhere special for the brewed coffee or can you get it in the main dining room & buffet?

Do you know what brand of tea they carry on Island Princess - Bigelow, Celestial Seasoning, something else?

Appreciate your help!

Thanks Paul - now for the follow up questions :D

Do you have to go somewhere special for the brewed coffee or can you get it in the main dining room & buffet?

You will have to get it at the bar on deck 5. Neither the diningroom or buffet does fresh brewed.

Do you know what brand of tea they carry on Island Princess - Bigelow, Celestial Seasoning, something else?

Appreciate your help!

Bigelow for sure. Herbal and regular. And Lipton's.

So is tea free all day? How about unsweetened iced tea? I prefer it to soda, so if I can get it free, then the soda card isn't worth it.

Iced tea free all the time at all venues. This is for regular tea and not special blends. Always available for self serve at the buffet.

So is tea free all day? How about unsweetened iced tea? I prefer it to soda, so if I can get it free, then the soda card isn't worth it.

It is my understanding that iced tea & the regular offerings of hot tea are available at no extra charge all day either from room service or buffet. Not sure where else they would be found as I've never cruised before - hopefully someone will let us know if I'm wrong!

Personally I love sweet tea - but need to lose weight so have switched over to unsweet. So I think the soda card is a no-go for me. Will have to decide how much club soda my husband drinks to see if it makes sense for him.

It is my understanding that iced tea & the regular offerings of hot tea are available at no extra charge all day either from room service or buffet. Not sure where else they would be found as I've never cruised before - hopefully someone will let us know if I'm wrong!

Personally I love sweet tea - but need to lose weight so have switched over to unsweet. So I think the soda card is a no-go for me. Will have to decide how much club soda my husband drinks to see if it makes sense for him.

Iced and hot tea are available 24 hours. They have a pretty good selection of tea. Usually have 10 or so types out, and will get others if asked.

Iced and hot tea are available 24 hours. They have a pretty good selection of tea. Usually have 10 or so types out, and will get others if asked.

That should be plenty of variety for me!

Thanks a bunch

We'll be on the Island Princess going to Alaska near the end of May and I'm trying to decide about coffee or soda packages.

We aren't really coffee snobs - but if we just can't stand the regular coffee - how much does a cup of fresh brewed coffee cost? We really drink more tea - what sort of assortment of tea can we expect for no additional charge? I'm thinking we can probably get by without the coffee card but would rather buy sooner in the cruise than later. I'm actually hoping that the regular coffee is just fine. :)

I don't drink any carbonated drinks but hubby enjoys club soda several times a day. What would that cost? How much would he have to drink to justify the unlimited soda package?

Also - do you have to be in a special venue to order the fresh brewed coffee or can you get it anywhere coffee is served?

Thanks for all your help

Cheryl

The cans of club soda are $2 however you can get 6 cans for $11 with the mini bar package. I don't think it would be worthwhile to get the soda card. The tea service includes Bigelow and Lipton teas. Many people do not like the syrup coffee although some say if you add hot water to it the taste is better. Fresh brewed coffee can be ordered through room service or gotten at the Patisserie. You can also request it in the MDR. The new coffee card I believe is $31 and is now good only during that cruise.

You will love the Island!

The cans of club soda are $2 however you can get 6 cans for $11 with the mini bar package. I don't think it would be worthwhile to get the soda card. The tea service includes Bigelow and Lipton teas. Many people do not like the syrup coffee although some say if you add hot water to it the taste is better. Fresh brewed coffee can be ordered through room service or gotten at the Patisserie. You can also request it in the MDR. The new coffee card I believe is $31 and is now good only during that cruise.

You will love the Island!

Incorrect. Brewed coffee cannot be gotten from room service or the diningroom. Same syrup coffee served in both venues.

You could always just bring a case of club soda with you when you board and then refresh as needed on port days.

Probably wouldn't need that much - but I'll offer it as an option to my husband.

Anyone know a place to get wine & club soda near Westin Bayshore in Vancouver? We won't have a car so that limits us a bit.

Coffee card is a waste....U can only use it at certain places. And its not any better.

I suggest you take VIA packs if u like Starbucks. Or as of late, I've packed my Keurig - I have a Mini.

Folders instant bags aren't too bad.

Incorrect. Brewed coffee cannot be gotten from room service or the diningroom. Same syrup coffee served in both venues.

I realize everyone's experience is different but we always get fresh brewed in our suite. They ask on the phone if we have coffee cards and check them when they deliver the coffee. That being said, we have never ordered it and not had to show our card. To me this has been the norm rather than exception. :confused:

GREAT info. I was wondering at what point it makes more sense to buy a card verses pay per soda. The Mr. is a huge soda drinker (he goes through at least two cases a week) so I know the card makes sense for him. I'll just have to figure out if it makes sense for me. It will be a close call especially on the days we are out & about in ports. I may or may not drink more than one or two...

I usually get my wife a soda sticker, but I'm just as happy drinking iced tea or iced water.

If I want a soda, I'll pay for it, or ask my wife to get it :)

(NOTE: I have only once asked my wife to get me a soda, and it was due to the fact that I was dieing of thirst and her soda came before my iced tea. I do not normally support the idea of sharing a soda sticker.)

I realize everyone's experience is different but we always get fresh brewed in our suite. They ask on the phone if we have coffee cards and check them when they deliver the coffee. That being said, we have never ordered it and not had to show our card. To me this has been the norm rather than exception. :confused:

You just said the magic word; suite. Your accommodation is not the norm; it's the exception.

Archived