Denied boarding for illness

TrustNoOneKMC

When I cruised Carnival Glory last May, they still had the health forms. And I agree about the antibiotics - as she stated, she normally would not recommend them, we know they do nothing for a cold. But due to the fact I'm going to be in an enclosed space with 4000 people, taking an antibiotic for this one time as a preventative measure will stop a serious respiratory infection from occurring. I'm sure my fellow cruisers would be very happy to know I took this step, and the only thing I would be passing (if anything) was a cold. I work with kids, so I am very observant when it comes to ways of not passing germs, but I can't prevent everything. Hopefully the cold will be gone by then anyway!

due to the fact I'm going to be in an enclosed space with 4000 people, taking an antibiotic for this one time as a preventative measure will stop a serious respiratory infection from occurring. I'm sure my fellow cruisers would be very happy to know I took this step,

15% of upper respiratory infections are caused by bacteria; the remaining 85% are caused by viruses, which your antibiotic will do nothing to treat or prevent. I would personally rather not be on a cruise with you - because your example above actually shows a gross lack of knowledge about how illnesses are spread, and how to treat them. I don't fancy being couped up with someone spreading antibiotic-resistant infections.

..Trin..

which of course brings up the question of when filling out the health form, do you put that you are well even if you have a cold?

If you have a cold now, and don't sail for two weeks, chances are you will be far from contagious. Chances are you won't even have any cold symptoms by then. Unless you welcome unnecessary trouble for yourself, why even bother stating you have a cold on the health form?

They're looking for the Noro virus.

Really!?! wonder why no health forms. how else are they going to figure out who is sick and needs to be evaluated

No health form on our last cruise, but the check in agent asked the same questions that were on the health form during the check in process.

There were no health forms in Oct., on our cruise.

Health forms are long gone. Just don't make a spectacle of yourself and you won't have any issues.

no health form on my last cruise,but why in the world would you tell them if you were ill

What health forms??

There were none to be had in POM on our August 2011 sailing.

The only "health" Carnival is worried about has to do with your credit card.

Lol.

They're mostly concerned with stomach issues / possible noro. My last cruise (which was on RCI, not Carnival) had a questionnaire but it was all about stomach illnesses. I think that's a pretty standard concern among the cruise lines... I can't imagine someone would be denied boring for the common cold unless there was suspicion of something worse (a flu perhaps).

Funny I should see this thread........I was considering coming on here and posting the same exact thing pretty much. I think with it being cold and flu season in full swing now, we are all wondering the same. We sail in 7 days on the Elation. I hope we can all avoid the illnesses before boarding!

..Trin..

We sailed on the Elation 2 weeks ago, there was no heath form to fill out.

I have a friend who after boarding complained to the ships doctor about diarrhea, and asking for something they might be able to take for it.

They were immediately confined to their cabin, and told if they left their cabin they would be charged.

The ship even sent two men in those suits (clean room/contagious room) to disinfect.

My friend didn't have noro, but it did ruin three days of his cruise.

I sail with Disney in 2 weeks and I was just wondering about cruise policies regarding denying boarding for someone who is ill. How often does this actually happen? I just came down with a bad cold a few days ago, which should be long gone by the time I cruise. I was just wondering how often carnival or any cruise line deny people from boarding because they are sick with a cold? Or are they more concerned about the flu? What happens in these cases? If you don't have insurance, do you completely lose your entire cruise fare and flight fare?

I hope you have checked the Disney board too.

On our last three Carnival cruises - no health form.

They would be more interested in the "flu" ish type things. Noro is a four letter word anywhere but especially on the ship.

A common cold would have to be coupled with something to have boarding denied.

As to the question about losing cruise fare and flight...you've already flown there...

Last April when my DH, SIL, BIL and I sailed on the Fantasy out of Charleston, we had to fill out health forms.

After the second day onboard got I whatever it is they say that can go around a cruise ship because of all the people and germs. 'vevheard someone call it something but I can't remember the name. Anyway, I needed Immodium badly:( and that was the only meds I hadn't thought of to pack. I couldn't eat anything. After 2 bites or a drink of water from anywhere on the ship, I was off to the nearest ladies room.

Well I went to the Drs. office onboard and the nurse gave me the third degree about when did it start, how did I feel etc. I figured it was something I had eaten before we boarded the ship which was the day before I went to see her. She ended up selling me 4 Immodiums and told me if I still needed more, that she would then have to look at me more closely. Well, yes I ended up needing more and had to pay $16 for a pack in the Bahamas!!:eek::) I didn't want to go back to the nurse because I was afraid she would quarantine me. Everyone else in my cabin was fine, so I figured it was just my sensitive system. It lasted 2 days after I returned home from a 5 day cruise!

Hopefully for my cruise on The Legend in 130 days, I won't have a repeat performance. But you can bet I'm bringing my own Immodium just in case:o

Health forms are long gone. Just don't make a spectacle of yourself and you won't have any issues.

Perhaps it varies by cruiseline, but as recently as the end of December we had to fill out a health form when checking in for Navigator of the Seas for its NewYear's Eve cruise. Noroviruses can occur in many venues besides a cruise ship but the enclosed environment of a cruise ship seems to exacerbate the problem when it exists. I, for one, prefer that they require passengers to fill out this basic questionnaire and would hope that people are honest when they fill it out.

People lie on those forms anyway.

On our last cruise we were standing on deck for the Muster behind a mother and her son.

She turned to the kid and asked him if he was "still throwing up and if his fever was gone.":eek: Obviously they lied on his health form in order to get onboard.

Perhaps it varies by cruiseline, but as recently as the end of December we had to fill out a health form when checking in for Navigator of the Seas for its NewYear's Eve cruise. Noroviruses can occur in many venues besides a cruise ship but the enclosed environment of a cruise ship seems to exacerbate the problem when it exists. I, for one, prefer that they require passengers to fill out this basic questionnaire and would hope that people are honest when they fill it out.

I'm sure it varies from line to line and I'm VERY sure most people would NOT be honest if they thought they would be banned from boarding with no compensation......

Archived