Denied boarding for illness

TrustNoOneKMC

I sail with Disney in 2 weeks and I was just wondering about cruise policies regarding denying boarding for someone who is ill. How often does this actually happen? I just came down with a bad cold a few days ago, which should be long gone by the time I cruise. I was just wondering how often carnival or any cruise line deny people from boarding because they are sick with a cold? Or are they more concerned about the flu? What happens in these cases? If you don't have insurance, do you completely lose your entire cruise fare and flight fare?

I don't know for certain, but my understanding is that if you appear to have a cold - or list it on the health form, they will take you aside for an evaluation. If they see it is just a common cold, they won't deny boarding, but if they suspect it is something worse, then may deny boarding.

I sail with Disney in 2 weeks and I was just wondering about cruise policies regarding denying boarding for someone who is ill. How often does this actually happen? I just came down with a bad cold a few days ago, which should be long gone by the time I cruise. I was just wondering how often carnival or any cruise line deny people from boarding because they are sick with a cold? Or are they more concerned about the flu? What happens in these cases? If you don't have insurance, do you completely lose your entire cruise fare and flight fare?

It has not happened to me but from what I've gleaned from other threads is their main concern is stomach related bugs and more serious contagious diseases. As TrustNoOne said they will evaluate you. If they deny you boarding you may lose the cruise fare (you would have used the flight so that's not a loss per se, although you would have change fees).

I don't know for certain, but my understanding is that if you appear to have a cold - or list it on the health form, they will take you aside for an evaluation. If they see it is just a common cold, they won't deny boarding, but if they suspect it is something worse, then may deny boarding.

Agreed.

Funny I should see this thread........I was considering coming on here and posting the same exact thing pretty much. I think with it being cold and flu season in full swing now, we are all wondering the same. We sail in 7 days on the Elation. I hope we can all avoid the illnesses before boarding!

..Trin..

The health forms appeared during the swine flu epidemic. The past 2 years, we've had no health forms. I think they just bring those things out when there are a few nasty flu strains or other highly contagious respiratory illness making news.

If you feel you are coming down with a bad cold, even though as a nurse I would normally advise against getting antibiotics for a common cold, I'd try to get my Doc to give me a Z-pack.

Health forms are long gone. Just don't make a spectacle of yourself and you won't have any issues.

Really!?! wonder why no health forms. how else are they going to figure out who is sick and needs to be evaluated

No one 'gets evaluated'. You could walk on half dead, no one is going to stop you. The last two times we went though POM we went though security (they just work for the port and couldn't care less if you're sick) then up into the line for the Kiosk, get all your info and go over and stand in line to pick up your s&s. So the only time you are actually in front of a real person who works for CCL is those 10 seconds the s&s person looks at your passport and hands you your s&s cards. Not exactly an 'evaluation' unless you are vomiting blood:)

The health forms appeared during the swine flu epidemic. The past 2 years, we've had no health forms. I think they just bring those things out when there are a few nasty flu strains or other highly contagious respiratory illness making news.

If you feel you are coming down with a bad cold, even though as a nurse I would normally advise against getting antibiotics for a common cold, I'd try to get my Doc to give me a Z-pack.

Health forms are long gone. Just don't make a spectacle of yourself and you won't have any issues.

I think Becca's right, they just bring them out whenever they determine, out of our last 3 cruises, only the one in Oct had the form, so i wouldn't say they were necessairly gone, maybe not used consistantly.

Colds are caused by viruses and antibiotics kill bacteria. Antibiotics won't do anything for a cold or flu. It's just this kind of misconception that promotes antibiotic resistance.

Colds are caused by viruses and antibiotics kill bacteria. Antibiotics won't do anything for a cold or flu. It's just this kind of misconception that promotes antibiotic resistance.

Jesus, did you not read what I wrote????? In a situation where you are about to cruise for a week, I personally would rather bite the bullet and go against what I ALSO BELIEVE AS YOU DO and get abx just in case it decides to become more while out on the sea. I myself have had colds that I treated over the counter that became full on URI's complete with green mucous/nasal discharge.

Really!?! wonder why no health forms. how else are they going to figure out who is sick and needs to be evaluated

On our Inspiration Halloween cruise there were no forms. However at check-in they did ask some basic health related questions. DW answered for me that we were well. I didn't really hear and was preoccupied with getting aboard. It wasn't 'til later that I realized that they were not just inquiring how I was feeling to be nice or smalltalk. I'd imagine they are trained to look for PAX displaying any obvious flu symptoms. I guess we should all knock on our wooden heads and hope there aren't any outbreaks when we cruise.

Archived