Calm Down,,Dont Panic!

thompsongunner06

I have been on 9 cruises,,,,we ALWAYS had a muster drill just after leaving port. I am no way worried about taking a cruise with Carnival! The crew always has been proffesional and take a lot of grief from intoxicated people about doing these drils. I bet more folks will listen up next time. Now you dont even have to bring the life vests to the drills. carnival makes the drills as easy as possible, but you have to go to it. If you have a cruise coming up relax and enjoy. Pay attention to the drills and know how to get to the stairs near your room. I cannot think that I would be un able to get to them if the ship started to list to one side. I am going to go see how to buy Carnival stock right now. I believe in them and they will be fine. Costa on the other hand,,,,(??????) might be done.

Exactly, I have been on 12 and am in no way scared. This is such a freak accident and obviously one that could have been avoided unfortunately. I cant wait to cruise again. CCL takes the drills very seriously. I will get flamed but I even tried to avoid a drill once by hiding in the cabin. They come find you. NOBODY misses drill. That is how serious it's taken.

Everyone should just relax and continue with their plans and have a great time and know that if anything, things will be even more safe now.

You know I have always said I cruised a LOT but am never to old to learn something . The one thing I learned from this . If they continue to have Muster Drills without having you to take your life vests , someone pointed out they take thiers out and put them on and adjust them to fit just forthe just in case................ The odds of this ever happening again is slim and none but if you are on a boat that slim makes an appearance at least you won't be caught unprepared and what will it take 2 minutes.

I am going to go see how to buy Carnival stock right now. I believe in them and they will be fine. Costa on the other hand,,,,(??????) might be done.

Don't write off Costa yet. Even though they've had 2 ships run aground in the past 2 weeks, doesn't spell the end for them. And BTW, when you buy Carnival stock you're buying a multi-cruise line company that includes Costa.

You know I have always said I cruised a LOT but am never to old to learn something . The one thing I learned from this . If they continue to have Muster Drills without having you to take your life vests , someone pointed out they take thiers out and put them on and adjust them to fit just forthe just in case................ The odds of this ever happening again is slim and none but if you are on a boat that slim makes an appearance at least you won't be caught unprepared and what will it take 2 minutes.

I concur..... and couldn't have said it better:D. I will be cruising next month and plan on doing just that:)

I have cruise newbies going with me in November, I was worried about their reaction, but it was really rather logical:

My friend simply said, that she would be more worried about our plane crashing on the way there or back, than the ship sinking or getting in a car wreck on the way to the airport. All more likely she said.

In this instances, I'm not sure what the muster drill would have accomplished. Most of the people couldn't get back to their rooms to get a life jacket and the ship was on its side, people were crawling on the walls and in the dark.........how would you find your way to a muster station (if they known which one to go to)? I'm not sure I would have been half as smart as some of these people using bedsheets and lashing themsleves to rails.

I have been on 9 cruises,,,,we ALWAYS had a muster drill just after leaving port. I am no way worried about taking a cruise with Carnival! The crew always has been proffesional and take a lot of grief from intoxicated people about doing these drils. I bet more folks will listen up next time. Now you dont even have to bring the life vests to the drills. carnival makes the drills as easy as possible, but you have to go to it. If you have a cruise coming up relax and enjoy. Pay attention to the drills and know how to get to the stairs near your room. I cannot think that I would be un able to get to them if the ship started to list to one side. I am going to go see how to buy Carnival stock right now. I believe in them and they will be fine. Costa on the other hand,,,,(??????) might be done.

I too have been on 9 cruises and ALL of them had the muster drill BEFORE leaving PORT!!

I too have been on 9 cruises and ALL of them had the muster drill BEFORE leaving PORT!!

So what? Has any of those 9 drills you attended, and I assume paid serious attention, prepared you for the situation that just hapened?

I didn't think so because I have been to 12 and not one of them has told me it may be necessary to tie bed sheets to the railings to get off the ship. Not one of them has told me I may be crawling on the walls in the dark trying to find a way out of the ship.

Not one of them has told me what I should do with my mother who has serious mobility issues in a case like that.

So what? Has any of those 9 drills you attended, and I assume paid serious attention, prepared you for the situation that just hapened?

I didn't think so because I have been to 12 and not one of them has told me it may be necessary to tie bed sheets to the railings to get off the ship. Not one of them has told me I may be crawling on the walls in the dark trying to find a way out of the ship.

Not one of them has told me what I should do with my mother who has serious mobility issues in a case like that.

So what are you saying? Are you never going to cruise again?

For heavens sake:rolleyes: You are instructed to get your butt to your muster station that is it. Can you do that? As far as people with mobility problems and children.......listen next time you will learn something:rolleyes:

For heavens sake:rolleyes: You are instructed to get your butt to your muster station that is it. Can you do that? As far as people with mobility problems and children.......listen next time you will learn something:rolleyes:

And many of these people were told to return to their cabins, some were told to go to muster WITHOUT their life jackets..I'm not afraid to cruise, but there will be another incident somewhere sometime, and it never hurts to be better prepared.

It wasn't an accident. It was an act of arrogance and stupidity.

You're absolutely correct. Any cruise line that let a captain continue to be a captain...with his history....is an irresponsible cruise line.

I'm not saying I won't set foot on a ship again....but I certainly question those who allowed this man to remain in his position.

It sounded as if passengers went to their designated muster stations originally. He had mentioned that there were problems deploying the lifeboats on the listing side of the ship. He ended up swimming to shore as the ship was pushing him under the water. If that was the case then all of those passengers had to go to the other side to get to available lifeboats. That could have added to the confusion.

And many of these people were told to return to their cabins, some were told to go to muster WITHOUT their life jackets..I'm not afraid to cruise, but there will be another incident somewhere sometime, and it never hurts to be better prepared.

I am not sure about Costa's drills. but Carnival instructs passengers during the drill to go to your muster drill without your life jackets if you are not near your cabin to retrieve them. This is to keep the hallways and stairwells from clogging up and saves time. Time saves lives. They have life jackets at all muster stations. Makes perfect sense to me.

If my muster station is on the lido deck and that is where I am standing when the alarm goes off......I certainly am not going to run down and get my jacket and come back up......

I am not sure about Costa's drills. but Carnival instructs passengers during the drill to go to your muster drill without your life jackets if you are not near your cabin to retrieve them. This is to keep the hallways and stairwells from clogging up and saves time. Time saves lives. They have life jackets at all muster stations. Makes perfect sense to me.

If my muster station is on the lido deck and that is where I am standing when the alarm goes off......I certainly am not going to run down and get my jacket and come back up......

Are you sure there are life jackets for everyone at their muster stations?

If that is the case why are there life jackets in the cabins in the first place then:confused:

I am really asking not being sarcastic or anything

Sorry if this ends up being a double post..

Is that really true about the jackets at the muster stations? Are there enough for everybody? If so why are there life jackets in the cabins at all then?:confused:

I am really asking a question not being sarcastic

There are life jackets in both places I would guess because of regulations. If there was an abandon ship order, anything to speed up the process of getting people ready will help. If people are in their cabins & can put on their life jackets & report to the muster station, it will go smoother.

If everyone reported to the muster station with none & needed to don a life jacket I would think the spot they were handing them out would get swarmed. Also you might as well be wearing the jacket as soon as possible if the ship could be going down.

Sorry if this ends up being a double post..

Is that really true about the jackets at the muster stations? Are there enough for everybody? If so why are there life jackets in the cabins at all then?:confused:

I am really asking a question not being sarcastic

Yes there are enough jackets for everyone at the stations. They have them at the stations and also in the life boats. The reason being is per my example. Because realistically not everyone will be in the vicinity of their cabin in a real emergency.

we sailed on the fascination out of jacksonville last nov. & due;) to high tides & ts sean we didn't sail till 10 pm.......so we didn't have our muster drill till 10am the next morn.......so i guess it depends on what time you sail....if something had happened during the nite.....it might of been bad. I always read the notice on the back of the door....that shows you where the muster station is & look for our life vests.....of course i have been on a cruise.....but if i were a newbie....i might not know to do that.

Archived