Need advice on purchasing snorkel and mask

RQINFL

I am thinking of buying our own snorkels and masks and am wondering what a good price range would be. I tend to always like the most expensive stuff, and having absolutely no clue about what decent snorkels and masks cost I'm not wanting to go into a scuba/snorkel store totally uninformed.

Basically I don't want to get talked into purchasing something that I don't need, or buy something that is much more than necessary to spend because I think it looks good :) while at the same time am willing to pay for good quality/right items.

Not planning to snorkel a ton, but want something that will be comfortable and is well made. So, if anybody could give me a general price range or brands to look for that would be great.

Thanks!

For snorkeling, you will probably pay somewhere between $40 and $70 for quality equipment (mask and snorkel). You can get it for less and it will work fine, but I won't say it will be comfortable. Given that you say you are not going to use it very often, you might go cheaper.

A dive shop should be able to fit you for the right mask. Most masks work quite well for snorkeling even the cheap one for Walmart or.... .

Take the mask to the local swimming pool for a test and if it leaks or doesn't feel right just take it back.

Go to amazon, you will find tons of choices. I just picked up an awesone set, mask snorkel fins and cool bag to carry it around with. On sale for $60 for $90 then amazon offered a no fee rewards Visa for $40 gift card, jumped on that and got my set for $20. :D http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=snorkeling+sets , http://www.amazon.com/ref=gno_logo $40 offer at bottom

Couldn't have said it better. If you go online you can get quality masks for even cheaper than the $40-$70 range. Two sites that I have used is snorkelcity.com and snorkeldirect.com. These guys do a good job, ship fast and have competitive pricing.

For snorkeling, you will probably pay somewhere between $40 and $70 for quality equipment (mask and snorkel). You can get it for less and it will work fine, but I won't say it will be comfortable. Given that you say you are not going to use it very often, you might go cheaper.

While buying online can save you a few bucks, the most important thing with a mask that is comfortable and fits. This is something you can't try on the Internet. If you have a dive shop locally stop in and let them help you get something that you are happy with. If you ask them may even let you try it in a pool during a local scuba class. For a snorkel look for one with a drain this will allow most of the water to drain before you clear the water from it. I may be a little prejudice but as a diver with 35 years in the water and 25 years as an instructor my recommendation is do it right the first time and you can enjoy it for the rest of your life. As a last note if you plan on going on the ships excursion save the money and weight in your luggage for fins, use the ones they provide. Your money is better spent on a higher quality mask. Hope this helps.

I am also a diver.....have spent a lot of money on a mask and have bought the cheaper ones at a local sporting goods store. Both work great.

The important thing is to get a good seal. When shopping do 2 things. First make sure all your hair is back and not under the mask at any point. Hair under the edges will keep you from getting a good seal and allow the mask to leak water. Second hold it to your face (don't put the strap behind your head) and gently push on the bridge of the nose till a suction is obtained. Then let go and it should stay on your face comfortably. If it doesn't - it doesn't fit.

I had a wise instructor show me this years ago and it has worked for me through the years.

As for snorkels..... I have had all kinds. I now use the one that has the self closing device ( a ball in the top) and I like it a lot.

I'm no expert, I could pretty much be classified as a newbie, but I do have a couple of tips that I found helpful.

Husband took a diving class in college and got a pretty decent mask and snorkel. I think he paid well over $100 just for the mask at a dive shop. He took the mask and snorkel on both of our cruises and we both plan on taking our gear in March, fins included this time. We bought myself a cheap $20 set in Grand Cayman I believe and it was terrible, absolutely dreadful, I'm pretty sure we quickly threw it away. We bought another set (with fins) from Costco a couple of years ago and it was much better although I still had a couple of issues. The first trip he used my crappy set because I was unable and I used his. With the Costco set I still had to use his mask. These are the things I'd recommend:

I still have to use his mask because neither of mine had the nose piece where you can breathe out through your nose forcefully to clear the mask. I don't know if it's because of my heart condtion or if others experience this, but I NEEDED to be able to blow out of my nose from time to time. It was nice to be able to clear my mask of water that way but more importantly I had too much painful pressure in my chest if I wasn't able to breathe out of my noise from time to time, I assume to fully clear my lungs which wasn't as easy through the snorkel.

The other thing that both of our current models have that my first didn't was a snorkel that closed at the top when a wave hit or going underwater and also had a device at the bottom for easier clearing. With the first snorkel you needed to blow out very hard to clear the water out of the top of the tube and even then water always remained. I couldn't do this, again i don't know if it's because of my heart condition. But with the bottom mechanism it was super easy to clear the water.

So basically I suggest buying gear with easy water clearing mechanisms

I paid just under $100 for a mask and snorkel at a local dive shop - they threw in a bag and some anti-fog drops. I know I could have paid less but I wanted the advice of a professional since I knew nothing about what I needed, so the extra was well worth it. I also wanted to be able to try on masks to insure a good & comfortable fit.

Don't go cheap on the snorkel. It is probably the single most important piece of equipment that affects the quality of your experience. At a minimum make sure that it is "semi-dry" (has baffles at the top to minimize splash getting into the tube). Also get one with a purge value - a valve at the bottom of the J that lets you easily expel any water that has collected in the J. Get the person at the dive shop to show you how to mount and wear the snorkel. Proper placement will significantly improve your experience.

I wear prescription glasses. Rather than purchase a prescription mask I wear disposable contacts when I snorkel. Works very well for me.

The following is the best advise for a mask fit. Kinda long, but worth a couple minutes reading it. As previously mentioned, a dive shop is your best bet. The sales people are patient with newbies, and well informed about a proper mask fit:

Mask Fitting

How many times have you gone into a dive store, tried a mask that seemed to fit just great, got on an airplane to halfway around the world, jumped into the water and the mask leaked? There seems to be a nearly universal way to try a mask, which unfortunately happens to be the wrong way. Put the mask on, inhale through your nose and guess what? The mask fits. Right? Wrong!

The big mistake is that no one dives or snorkels with a vacuum in their mask or shouldn't be if they are. By inhaling through the nose, an unnatural seal is created. Some divers have tried on masks that don't even come close to fitting but as soon as they inhale, a tight seal is created. While diving though, they are not constantly trying to inhale through their nose (which is what the store clerk told them to do) and now the mask leaks.

Someone told a tale of a dive store that displays all masks without straps. The idea apparently is to check that a really good vacuum makes a really good fit. Once again, no one dives trying to inhale through their nose constantly and without a strap no less.

Almost all modern masks have an outer seal and a narrower inner seal. This inside seal covers everywhere except just under the nose. If both of these seals touch the face than the odds of that mask fitting and not leaking are very good. This is done by putting the mask on with the strap loose, but in place, and then tightening it to what would be normal if you were diving. Some divers who have had very bad masks are in the habit of over tightening the strap on a new mask in hopes of a better seal. Don't do that especially while trying masks for fit.

The next step takes a second person or a mirror. Look around the entire inside of the mask checking to see that the inner seal touches everywhere. It is very important not to inhale through the nose which forces the mask seals to touch if they didn't naturally. Next check the outside seal the same way.

If the inner seal is not touching the face, especially next to the side of the eyes, it is likely the mask won't work well. But do check everywhere around the inside. The outer seal might keep water from dripping in but not as well as if both seals touch. Make sure the seals do not cut across any hairline or eyebrows. Also that the side seals are not right at the edge of the eye.

One other problem can occur when someone laughs, smiles or even squints. This motion creates lines or wrinkles next to the nose. Sometimes this makes a passage where water pours in. Almost every mask will leak when this happens. So don't laugh! Occasionally, depending on the person, these wrinkles may remain even after they stop laughing. In this case it may be necessary to straighten the face by pulling down or sideways on the cheeks. Again this is not necessarily a mask problem. So don't run out and buy a new mask.

If absolutely necessary, to keep everyone happy, you can now inhale slightly to check any unseen leaks. Sometimes a mask leaks around the glass. This is very unusual and is a one off problem, not the design of the mask. You can check this by holding the mask with the face plate parallel to the floor and putting water in the mask. If the face plate seal is faulty, drops of water will appear on the outside.

Don't be fooled by the size of a mask's frame and lenses. This has little if anything to do with how a masks fits. People will look for what seems like a narrow or wide mask, depending, but what counts is the size of the skirt where your face is actually touching the mask. An exaggerated example but if the lens of a mask is 1 foot wide but the skirt is only 4 inches, this would fit a rather narrow face but the mask looks huge.

With literally 10's of dozens of masks on the market, there is one that will fit. It may take awhile to find but it is out there.

I ask the same question a few weeks ago on here and most people recommended US Divers equipment. I did a lot of research and read reviews and we went with the Trek type. I loved the fins and they are the travel type (so smaller, easy to carry size) and the entire snorkel set wasn't a bad price either. We only paid $49.99 each set. It came with the fins, mask, snorkel that has the valve on it that won't allow water to come in it if you dive down and also the mesh carrying bag. I thought it was a great deal and they fit comfortably too. I got pink and the hubby got black. They come in a variety of colors. I found that Campmor had the best prices after some extensive research. :D

I would seriously recommend going to a dive shop to get properly fitted with your mask, there is nothing worse than buying a cheap mask that leaks because it does not fit the contours of your face. Some of us need corrective lenses in our mask and that adds $40 to $60 to the price of the mask. If you are a newbie to the sport then I think it is advisable to get some consultation re the type of snorkel and fins you need. The package I purchased, mask with corrective lenses, good snorkel, fins, vest and mesh bag to carry the gear ran just over $200, but it will last me for years. The packages you buy online or at mass merchandiser for $50 or $60 work for a lot of people but one bad piece of equipment can spoil your snorkel experience.

found that Campmor had the best prices after some extensive research

I saw that site also. Seen they had us diver there for 29.99 for my kids. Im still hesitant to purchase until i try on for size. May go to store and do just that and then purchase online. Same as trying on at home and having to return if not fitted correctly.

I ask the same question a few weeks ago on here and most people recommended US Divers equipment. I did a lot of research and read reviews and we went with the Trek type. I loved the fins and they are the travel type (so smaller, easy to carry size) and the entire snorkel set wasn't a bad price either. We only paid $49.99 each set. It came with the fins, mask, snorkel that has the valve on it that won't allow water to come in it if you dive down and also the mesh carrying bag. I thought it was a great deal and they fit comfortably too. I got pink and the hubby got black. They come in a variety of colors. I found that Campmor had the best prices after some extensive research. :D

found that Campmor had the best prices after some extensive research

I saw that site also. Seen they had us diver there for 29.99 for my kids. Im still hesitant to purchase until i try on for size. May go to store and do just that and then purchase online. Same as trying on at home and having to return if not fitted correctly.

I like to support my local merchants, especially if I use their services.

• 2 weeks later...

texancruzer got it right. The mask should fit your face without falling off. I can snorkel with my contacts and have no problem with water getting in.

FYI: if anyone has a mustache, petroleum jelly makes a good seal but you may still get some water in the mask

I would suggest to go out to a sporting goods store and try on every mask they have...and snap a photo of the one feels the best on your face. Then go home and look it up on the net. I found a mask that I liked at sports chalet for 79.99...and amazon had the same one for 45.00 shipped. You can find cheap masks all day long on the internet...But unless you had them on your face you won't know if they truly fit.

Archived