Cruises vs. Other Vacations

Figsgrandma

Here I am, just about 6 weeks before our Alaskan cruise, I'm really starting to get excited - and I realize that I don't usually feel this way before other types of vacations.

My question is, is it just me, because this is only our second cruise, or is it something about cruising in general? Do others find you get more excited anticipating your next cruise than you do for a different type of vacation? Any idea why?

(And I can already here someone saying, "Is there any other kind of vacation?)

Thanks.

Laurel

I haven't stopped thinking about my last cruise in January of 2003!! Way too long to be away from cruising. I think the awe of cruising is so many things, but the main thing for us is that we were REALLY away - no phones, no computers, no kids, no nothing but time to do what ever we wanted. I think you either love it or not - I love it and will continue to plan my BIG vacations via cruising.

Of course, I'll never give up the beach!

Best vaction we have ever had. Got to see many places without having to pack and unpack. Loved being treated like kings and queens. Food, entertainment, activities, etc. all included. Can't wait for our next scheduled cruise.

You're normal - just hooked on cruising. We've been on six and are planning our 7th for this November. Once you're hooked, you never never of it and the excitement of the next cruise never wanes. We did our first Alaskan cruise last August on the Princess Sapphire and it was wonderful.

Have a great cruise and may it go by ever so slowly for you.

I'm torn, I enjoy cruising, but also enjoy all inclusive resorts. With children, the cruise is far better. Without children a week of eating, napping on the beach, eating, napping by the pool, hitting the bar at no extra charge, eating, another nap at the beach, eating some more... another drink or two at the bar. Well, you get the picture, lol.

You're normal - just hooked on cruising. We've been on six and are planning our 7th for this November. Once you're hooked, you never never of it and the excitement of the next cruise never wanes. We did our first Alaskan cruise last August on the Princess Sapphire and it was wonderful.

We were on the Sapphire in November (Mexican Rivera) our first cruise. Everyone says we are spoiled. Coral Princess (Panam Canal) is next. Have heard she is a great ship too.

IrishJayne,

I believe the Coral Princess is a sister ship to the one we plan to cruise on in November. I've heard it is a beautiful ship, just smaller. Others may be able to give you a comparison. We plan to do the Panama Canal next. You will have to tell us about it. Have a great cruise.

Yancycruiser,

We're also on the Sapphire (leaving 5/29). Any hints about the ship? Do you remember what time you boarded and would it have been better to have gotten there earlier/later?

Laurel

I get much more excited over cruise vacations than any other type of vacation. We have our 6th cruise booked and althought it is a long way away (542 days from today), we're already planning some of the things we'll do and see at the various ports, looking for new luggage, etc.

We enjoy the pampering, the formal nights, the prospect of waking up in a different country almost every other morning, and meeting so many wonderful new friends. My DH has realized that I'm hopelessly addicted to cruising, and has resigned himself to the fact that we'll be doing this (in addition to a few land based vacations) until we can no longer walk or be rolled on board a cruise ship.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Laurel,

We were on the Sapphire on an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. We arrived at the port around 10:30 and were very surprised to get on before 11:30. We have always arrived early in hopes of getting on earlier. We have never gotten on past noon on any of the four lines we cruised. Good Luck!

Although we thoroughly enjoyed our land-based beach cottage on the Cape last year, once it was booked, well - that was it - just forget about it until it's time to pack up and go. With cruises, however, I am constantly researching reviews and reading the boards in eager anticipation of the big trip. IMHO there is nothing like a cruise. There are so many options on a cruise, especially when vacationing with family members of varying ages - everyone in the family will find something they like. With the cottage, as much as I LOVED the peace and quiet by the bay, you can find that and much more on a cruise ship. AND I don't have to cook, clean or make the bed! :)

Sunluva7

I agree with everything you say. My DH likes often likes to just stay home and relax during vacation time, but to me it's not much a vacation if there's still chores to do.

I definitely think that these boards help to fuel the excitement. Reading about everyone else's trips, getting ideas about excursions, travel hints, etc., keeps me thinking about the upcoming cruise all year round. Thanks to you all.

Laurel

Best vaction we have ever had. Got to see many places without having to pack and unpack. Loved being treated like kings and queens. Food, entertainment, activities, etc. all included. Can't wait for our next scheduled cruise.

Got to agree with Irish. We have had alot of land-based vacations in Hawaii, Cape Cod etc but there is nothing like a cruise. My next cruise is next month and I am just as excited about that cruise as I was on my other 7 cruises. By the way IrishJane and I are going to be on the same cruise next year for full transit of the Canal.:D

Marilyn

I've cruised alot, done land trips, too, but the anticipation and preparation for a cruise, there is just nothing like it!

I didn't cruise last year, went to Italy for 17 days instead and pre-trip just wasn't the same. I enjoyed Italy, I know there are things to see you can't do with an 8 hr. stop but overall I still prefer cruising!

Now I'm in cruise mode again, 21 days on the Sea Princess in Sept. and hopefully, the Panama canal cruise Jayne is talking about. Single price on that is a little high for me as it is close to my Sept. one but I am going to try for it! I like the canal, and repo's give you a full transit and all those sea days!

Susie

Although we thoroughly enjoyed our land-based beach cottage on the Cape last year, once it was booked, well - that was it - just forget about it until it's time to pack up and go. With cruises, however, I am constantly researching reviews and reading the boards in eager anticipation of the big trip. IMHO there is nothing like a cruise. There are so many options on a cruise, especially when vacationing with family members of varying ages - everyone in the family will find something they like. With the cottage, as much as I LOVED the peace and quiet by the bay, you can find that and much more on a cruise ship. AND I don't have to cook, clean or make the bed! :)

Just about how I feel. We have a beach trip every summer, but it just doesn't compare anymore (a cottage may be less expensive though.) Our next beach trip will be coming up in 8 weeks. I dread the planning and packing the car because we have to take our own sheets, towels, necessities and food. You get the picture....a week of grocery shopping, planning of meals, cooking, cleaning and making beds will cut into my sun time. It's not really a vacation for the mother.:(

Can't wait for October and our next cruise! ;)

Cruising to us is the best vacation!! There's so many things to do and the choice is yours to just sit and relax or partake in the many activities. It allows family time plus time to share with your mate. Not having to worry about where you're going to eat or what to do next lets you unwind and enjoy your days. I for one love just reading on our balcony and listening to the sound of the ocean. Plus, if you figure out the cost of air/car transportation, food, lodging, attractions etc.... a cruise comes in at a good price. :)

Iamthesea and sunluver,

I have a suggestion for you. Instead of doing the cooking at the cabin or beach house, I precook my main dishes at home and freeze them. Then all I have to do is pull that meal out of the freezer and let it defrost in the fridge on the day that I plan serve it. Then just heat and serve. It saves a lot of cooking and cleaning time. In fact most of the time I defrost/cook in the microwave oven. It is so easy that DH will "cook" dinner when we are on vacation

If you want some of my recipes email me at yosemitelupine@yahoo.com

Deb

Archived