Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

A book which might be of interest to some who are following this sinking is Eastland, Legacy of the Titanic by George W. Hilton. Hilton is a retired Professor of Economics at UCLA and is a long time student and author of matters concerning railroads and Great Lakes Shipping. His scholarship is beyond question.

Doc

All the tugs and smaller work boats that have been around the hulk and around the harbor are gone. There are several 40 foot containers sitting on the quay, but they could be from anything. The work should be progressing to the phase where the mat will be placed upon which the hull will be rolled upright should be starting fairly soon.

Doc

Here's a bit more info on The Last Salute.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/326231

Hi Micky

Good Post.

I don't completely share the film producer's opinion about connections between the Titantic and Concordia disasters. But, do agree with him that both incidents share similar underlying causes based in human arrogance.

John

I believe Carnival received 515 million dollars in insurance payment for this disaster.

Have there been any instances of insurance fraud in the maritime word do you know? That is, deliberately destroying a ship that was not profitable to obtain the insurance money?

In this day and age you never know...

I believe Carnival received 515 million dollars in insurance payment for this disaster.

Have there been any instances of insurance fraud in the maritime word do you know? That is, deliberately destroying a ship that was not profitable to obtain the insurance money?

In this day and age you never know...

Over the centuries there have been many cases of vessels being sunk, put a aground, a fire for the insurance money.....the word(especailly when a Captian or crew does it) is called *barrintry*.

Carnival's insurance/ P and I will be paying alot more for liability to passingers and crew, and the $278 mil to raise the wreck. There will also be 3 rd party claims like losses to the island in toursim, etc, clean up costs, etc,etc.

AKK!

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Yes, the small, old tramp steamer Franciso Marazon was run aground on South Manitou island in Lake Michigan in 1966. John Roen was given a contract to salvage it and the cargo. He told me that the owners (Honduran, ship registered in Liberia) delayed and stalled salvage until the ship started to break up and was beyond salvage. The insurers then hired Glenn Hardwoods, which sub-contracted with George Grosvenor to salvage as much of the cargo as possible. They managed to salvage about 5 tons of canned chicken, which was unusable.

The vessel was insured to the hilt when it ran aground. It was about 20 miles from its presumed position. The claim was the radar was not working, but I knew George and he actually used the radar when he bought a larger boat for his mail run. Interesting is it not?

On the primary subject, there are a lot of boats working around the hulk today. The drill boat/barge is out there again too. Perhaps the threat of bad seas kept them away yesterday.

Doc

There is a really good movie in the 50's called the *The Wreck of the Mary Deare*, with Gray Cooper. The storyline is the owners and some of the crew running a old freigther on the rocks for the insurance money on a shipment of aircraft engines.

I was told its based on the true story, but I am not sure on that.

AKK

Have there been any instances of insurance fraud in the maritime world, do you know? That is, deliberately destroying a ship that was not profitable to obtain the insurance money? In this day and age you never know.

Over the centuries there have been many cases of vessels being sunk, put a aground, a fire for the insurance money, the word (especially when a Captain or crew does it) is called *barrintry*.

When it is a building, it is called "A Jewish Fire Sale."

There are others of course including Titanic which it is claimed was under Insured, there is a book called "The riddle of the Titanic" by Robin Gardiner and Dan Van Der Vat.

The book claims that there was a possible Insurance scam by the White Star Line after the Olympic was hit and holed by HMS Hawke while returning to Southampton, Olympic was returned to Belfast for repairs and the book claims that there was the possibility that the ships were swapped in order to claim the Insurance on the Olympic.

This claim is backed up because no ship names were on any White Star line crockery nor on the lifeboats (the ship names were merely hung on each lifeboat) and apart from the Bow and stern they would have been easy enough to alter in the days that Olympic was in Belfast plus Titanic sank with an Olympic propelar attched to it.

No one will ever know for sure but the book is an interesting read.

There is a really good movie in the 50's called the *The Wreck of the Mary Deare*' date=' with Gray Cooper. The storyline is the owners and some of the crew running an old freigther on the rocks for the insurance money on a shipment of aircraft engines. I was told its based on the true story, but I am not sure on that.

AKK[/quote']

I love those old World War II movies.

There are others of course including Titanic which it is claimed was under Insured, there is a book called "The riddle of the Titanic" by Robin Gardiner and Dan Van Der Vat.

The book claims that there was a possible Insurance scam by the White Star Line after the Olympic was hit and holed by HMS Hawke while returning to Southampton, Olympic was returned to Belfast for repairs and the book claims that there was the possibility that the ships were swapped in order to claim the Insurance on the Olympic.

This claim is backed up because no ship names were on any White Star line crockery nor on the lifeboats (the ship names were merely hung on each lifeboat) and apart from the Bow and stern they would have been easy enough to alter in the days that Olympic was in Belfast plus Titanic sank with an Olympic propelar attched to it.

No one will ever know for sure but the book is an interesting read.

Now that is a wild tale!

But not possible.

The interiors of both vessels were very different, not to mention the exteriors also had different deck enclosures.

All of this was in pictures and in advertizments and newspapers.

Add to the above.......all the 1 class and many 2nd class passingers had sailed the Olymipic before and would have noted in a secound that the vessles were switched!

The Titanic lifeboats names were painted on and after the sinking were carried by ship back to England and used on other White Star vessels. Teh names were also on the bow and stern in weled on double plates and not just painted. this is seen in the many underwter pictures of the wreck.

Sorry Sidari........I love a good sea mystery/story.....but this way doesn't make sense! But I will try and find the book!

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Tonka ... I agree that the story seems a bit far fetched but not impossible, in one of the many books i have on Titanic there is a photo of Olympic having more lifeboats installed on her upper deck, of those already existing it seems that apart from the White Star name and logo there appears to be no ships name on them.

There is also in one of the books a photo claiming to be Titanic in the dock in Belfast and only on closer inspection can you make out the name Olympic, a bad miss by the publishers.

The main one as you point out is the framing in of the Promenade deck windows.

Did you know that there were over 90 unidentified people found from Titanic? who were buried at sea or in cemetaries.

Edited by sidari

Hmmm, I just noted that, well after dark, there is still a very bright light near the stern of the hulk. It appears that whatever is being done is now a 24 hour a day proposition.

Doc

Tonka ... I agree that the story seems a bit far fetched but not impossible, in one of the many books i have on Titanic there is a photo of Olympic having more lifeboats installed on her upper deck, of those already existing it seems that apart from the White Star name and logo there appears to be no ships name on them.

There is also in one of the books a photo claiming to be Titanic in the dock in Belfast and only on closer inspection can you make out the name Olympic, a bad miss by the publishers.

The main one as you point out is the framing in of the Promenade deck windows.

Did you know that there were over 90 unidentified people found from Titanic? who were buried at sea or in cemetaries.

see sideri........a great Maritime ghost.mystery story!

With anything Maritime, I never say never!

I can note that after the Titanic(for discussion sake.the Titanic.*G*) sinking her boats were put onto the Olyimpic and additional lifeboats put on both the Olyimpic and Britanic to bring the capacity up to carry all persons onboard.

I am sure you have seen that movie clip of the *Titanic* sailing on her voyage.....it played in alot of movie houses......but the fact is, it was old footage of the Olyimpic!

AKK

Hmmm, I just noted that, well after dark, there is still a very bright light near the stern of the hulk. It appears that whatever is being done is now a 24 hour a day proposition.

Doc

Seems qiute this morning.....Doc, I would expect at this point most of the work and activity is happening on the mainland where all the eqiupment is being staged and set up.

I wonder if there a cam there. I can't seem to find one.

AKK