Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Thank you for posting that link.

I have quickly looked through the report, which appears to be a print out of a Powerpoint or similar presentation. The most important thing I found is this:

"Organization of the abandonment of the ship was on the whole appropriate to manage an emergency such as the one that occurred a Giglio Island"

As I have been contending from day 1, the degree of chaos occurring in the abandon ship process was to be expected. Quite frankly, I believe the crew (not necessarily the officers and certainly not the captain) did a very good job of getting folks off the ship in a reasonably efficient manner.

Anyway, I want to see the final report and I would like to be able to read an English language version of both the final and this interim report.

Doc

Thank you for posting that link.

I have quickly looked through the report, which appears to be a print out of a Powerpoint or similar presentation. The most important thing I found is this:

"Organization of the abandonment of the ship was on the whole appropriate to manage an emergency such as the one that occurred a Giglio Island"

As I have been contending from day 1, the degree of chaos occurring in the abandon ship process was to be expected. Quite frankly, I believe the crew (not necessarily the officers and certainly not the captain) did a very good job of getting folks off the ship in a reasonably efficient manner.

Anyway, I want to see the final report and I would like to be able to read an English language version of both the final and this interim report.

Doc

Well said Doc!

I was about to say almost the same thing but decided to refresh the page to see if someone else had already responded.

I also noted the following.

"The Ship’s Integrated Navigation System (Nautical Chart nr. 6 - scale 1:100.000 of Italian Hydrographic Service and the Electronic Cartography – ECDIS ) reports the planned course."

"The Yaw Radius is such that the Ship is situated 0.5 miles south-west off the planned course - much more close to the coast compared to the planned route"

There are still many questions to be answered as is evident with the many items listed under "Issues still under investigation". But I do find it interesting that the "planned course" is not currently considered an issue. Of course that could change as the investigation continues.

For the record, I've always felt that the planned route was safe if conducted under the appropriate conditions.

Tonka .... Most if not all of the images that appear in books about Titanic were taken from the Olympic, so i was a little suprised when you mentioned in an earlier post about that the 2 ships were different in interior layout!

There is a cam of the port and shops which you may have seen ?

The preliminary report into the loss of the COSTA CONCORDIA can be found at:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3544291/Ital...0Concordia.pdf

Something happen to the Costa Serena, or was that a mistake?

The short article in this link is info we know. It's the pictures of Concordia that had me post this.

http://news.msn.co.nz/glanceview/236529/italian-cruise-ship-recovery.glance

Those are some interesting photos.

Something happen to the Costa Serena, or was that a mistake?

CA ... I think they were just using the Serena as a model for Concordia.

Sidari is correct, it's normal for the data for one ship in a class to be used to model the behavior of another ship in the same class. For example, the "Pilot's chart" on the bridge of Vista-class vessels shows the behavior of the ship in terms of stopping distance, turning circle at full rudder, etc. The Pilot's charts I've seen on Vista class vessels all state that it's the data for the Zuiderdam, which was the first of the class.

The Serena is a Concordia-class vessel so it's appropriate to use her stability simulation computer.

VP

VP

Sidari is correct, it's normal for the data for one ship in a class to be used to model the behavior of another ship in the same class. For example, the "Pilot's chart" on the bridge of Vista-class vessels shows the behavior of the ship in terms of stopping distance, turning circle at full rudder, etc. The Pilot's charts I've seen on Vista class vessels all state that it's the data for the Zuiderdam, which was the first of the class.

The Serena is a Concordia-class vessel so it's appropriate to use her stability simulation computer.

VP

VP

CA ... I think they were just using the Serena as a model for Concordia.

Oh okay, thank you for clearing that up for me.

251839_236599533124498_1915268083_n.jpg

The latest today at the scene.

I watched the Giglio cam early this morning whilst this barge was being tugged in. Couldn't really tell what it was because it was still too far beyond the ship. Course now seeing it up close, I still don't know what it is but I can see it better. :rolleyes: Thanks for posting the pix.

I wonder what they will do with al the luggage of the passengers once they raise the ship. I would assume mine is wrecked but a lot of the cabins on the up side would still be perfectly dry.

Just an update still received nothing but empty promises from Costa not even the money the promised us months ago for our airfares.

I wonder what they will do with al the luggage of the passengers once they raise the ship. I would assume mine is wrecked but a lot of the cabins on the up side would still be perfectly dry.

Just an update still received nothing but empty promises from Costa not even the money the promised us months ago for our airfares.

Hey MdM, how are you and your family doing now?

MDM ..... Not good that Costa have not paid you out yet ... :mad: as for the belongings and items in the safe in cabins i recall reading that all those items will be returned to the owners or family once the ship is in a dock in Italy and they can get it all out.

I watched the Giglio cam early this morning whilst this barge was being tugged in. Couldn't really tell what it was because it was still too far beyond the ship. Course now seeing it up close, I still don't know what it is but I can see it better. :rolleyes: Thanks for posting the pix.

That is a spud barge......the *spuds* are the pipes extending vertical. When the barge is in the postion they want it,the spuds will be lowered to the bottom and used to anchor the barge in postion. The barge is to be used as a work platform, noting it has a crane on deck.

This is most likely the start of work on the hold back dophins(piling structure) they will be building on the bottom to hold the wreck from slipping into deeper water.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I have stayed clear of any discussions on Concordia, as I am certainly no expert.

Just wanted to relay our recent experience aboard NeoRomantica, it was chaotic, shambolic and NOT pleasant!

It has been brushed aside as "nothing" and of course, slips by unnoticed.

We had been in LeHavre, sailing on to Dover. It was around 10pm, after dinner, ship was at sea, when all of a sudden - total blackout. Lights came back on and off for some time, then finally a low light and power but NO ENGINES!

There was ONE announcement - made of course in five languages before finally in English. Word for word almost identical to Concordia announcement

"Electrical fault etc etc etc"

For one and a half hours, we were a "cork dead at sea".

There were no further announcements.

We stopped drinking alcohol, each of the men, went to the cabins, collected passports and valuables, and we laid out "emergency clothing".

All of the emergency doorways on cabin decks were shut.

Our cabins were in darkness although main lounges had lighting.

We spent a very uneasy couple of hours.

We did not sleep well at all that night. The ship was sailing at around 5 knots and did not go to Dover. Instead, it went onward to the final destinantion point of Amsterdam.

Information was vague, announcements were chaotic -

I have never in fifteen years of cruising been afraid - I was for sure afraid!!

I would sail Costa again, but only on a bigger ship in calm waters and would be looking to see the history of its mechanics.

Perhaps we were being paranoid - but for engines to fail for over an hour and a half - not pleasant.

The English speaking rep never once appeared.

The shambles that followed getting family who were supposed to get off in Dover transferred to flights from Amsterdam was just beyond appalling!

SHAMBOLIC to say the least.

Anyway... for records sake - NeoR - engine failure for sure

Wonder how many times this happens..???

First time for us in 15 years for sure.

We will be taking this up with Costa - I have yet to put it all in writing to them. Being a cork at sea - is NOT my idea of fun cruising.

Is this common??? How often DO ships break down??

Such a shame, a dreadful ending to what had been a lovely cruise.

That is a spud barge......the *spuds* are the pipes extending vertical. When the barge is in the postion they want it' date='the spuds will be lowered to the bottom and used to anchor the barge in postion. The barge is to be used as a work platform, noting it has a crane on deck.

This is most likely the start of work on the hold back dophins(piling structure) they will be building on the bottom to hold the wreck from slipping into deeper water.

AKK[/quote']

Thank you.

I did recognize the crane but wasn't sure what the pipes were about. Appreciate your explanation.

Blondie, thanks for your quick review. It seems Costa has a way to go to not only to maintain their ships but also restore confidence to passengers.

I like how y'all prepared during the time the lights were out.

I have stayed clear of any discussions on Concordia, as I am certainly no expert.

Just wanted to relay our recent experience aboard NeoRomantica, it was chaotic, shambolic and NOT pleasant!

It has been brushed aside as "nothing" and of course, slips by unnoticed.

We had been in LeHavre, sailing on to Dover. It was around 10pm, after dinner, ship was at sea, when all of a sudden - total blackout. Lights came back on and off for some time, then finally a low light and power but NO ENGINES!

There was ONE announcement - made of course in five languages before finally in English. Word for word almost identical to Concordia announcement

"Electrical fault etc etc etc"

For one and a half hours, we were a "cork dead at sea".

There were no further announcements.

We stopped drinking alcohol, each of the men, went to the cabins, collected passports and valuables, and we laid out "emergency clothing".

All of the emergency doorways on cabin decks were shut.

Our cabins were in darkness although main lounges had lighting.

We spent a very uneasy couple of hours.

We did not sleep well at all that night. The ship was sailing at around 5 knots and did not go to Dover. Instead, it went onward to the final destinantion point of Amsterdam.

Information was vague, announcements were chaotic -

I have never in fifteen years of cruising been afraid - I was for sure afraid!!

I would sail Costa again, but only on a bigger ship in calm waters and would be looking to see the history of its mechanics.

Perhaps we were being paranoid - but for engines to fail for over an hour and a half - not pleasant.

The English speaking rep never once appeared.

The shambles that followed getting family who were supposed to get off in Dover transferred to flights from Amsterdam was just beyond appalling!

SHAMBOLIC to say the least.

Anyway... for records sake - NeoR - engine failure for sure

Wonder how many times this happens..???

First time for us in 15 years for sure.

We will be taking this up with Costa - I have yet to put it all in writing to them. Being a cork at sea - is NOT my idea of fun cruising.

Is this common??? How often DO ships break down??

Such a shame, a dreadful ending to what had been a lovely cruise.

i had this happen once on a holland americal line and once on a carnival ship. it happens more than we would like to think, apparently.

Doc or Tonka .... Haing now had chance to read the prelim report there was an issue that i thought i would bring up here.

The report states that Concordia was 0.5 miles off its charted/planned course and that being the case it does look like the plan was to sail close to Giglio as it had done before, with this in mind it does seem as though it would be difficult to accept that officials at costa could not have known about it!

Blondie ... shame about the end of your cruise, did you ask onboard why you did not go to Dover? maybe the power issue was something to do with the long drydock conversion ?

Edited by sidari

I've been following this thread for a couple of months and just wanted to thank Tonka, Doc, Sidari, SomeBeach and all the frequent posters on this thread. I've learn so much with all of you :) I really appreciate all the links and information about the Concordia.
Have a great day!!!

[quote name='sidari']The report states that Concordia was 0.5 miles off [B]its charted/planned course [/B]
and that being the case it does look like the plan[B] was to[/B] sail close to Giglio as it had done before,
with this in mind it does seem as though it would be difficult to accept that officials at Costa could not have known about it![/quote][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Said charted/planned course being...the Company-approved fly-past route, one would assume?

-because it [I]couldn't have been[/I] the normal course shown in yellow [COLOR=DimGray][I](see my graphic attachment below..)[/I][/COLOR]

Seems the person at the controls may have "taken certain liberties" as to [I]just how close[/I] he could 'shave' the island..
a bit closer than the Company would have liked, or intended him to do[/COLOR][/SIZE] :confused:
[COLOR=White].[/COLOR]

In an email Thursday Costa’s Head of Corporate Communications Cristiano De Musso provided this timeline of the project:
[B]Now through July 31[/B]: On-going site inspections of the ship and its position
[B]Aug.1-31[/B]: Securing of the Costa Concordia wreck to ensure on-going safety and stability
[B]Sept. 1-Nov. 15[/B]: Installation of caissons on left side of vessel and construction of submarine platforms
[B]Dec. 1[/B]: Sensitive stage of salvage begins with rotation of wreck with the installation of boxes on its right side
[B]Jan. 15[/B]: Ship to be up-righted above waterline
[B]Jan. 31[/B]: Ship delivered to an Italian port for processing according to regulations.
[B]April 30[/B]: Cleaning and replanting of marine flora expected to be completed

[URL]http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/south-florida-travel/2012/06/15/work-on-costa-concordia-salvage-gets-underway/[/URL]

[quote name='SomeBeach'][B][COLOR=Black]..timeline of the project:[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Now through July 31[/B]: On-going site inspections of the ship and its position
[B]Aug.1-31[/B]: Securing of the Costa Concordia wreck to ensure on-going safety and stability
[B]Sept. 1-Nov. 15[/B]: Installation of caissons on left side of vessel and construction of submarine platforms
[B]Dec. 1[/B]: Sensitive stage of salvage begins with rotation of wreck with the installation of boxes on its right side
[B]Jan. 15[/B]: Ship to be up-righted above waterline
[B]Jan. 31[/B]: Ship delivered to an Italian port for processing according to regulations.
[B]April 30[/B]: Cleaning and replanting of marine flora expected to be completed[/quote][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Nice to have this timeline, thank you![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=White].[/COLOR]

This time frame makes pretty good sense to me.

One thing I noted attached to the article linked above is a photo that purports to show a piece of the equipment to be used in righting the hulk. It is a spud barge (thanks to Tonka's Skipper for IDing it) with a crane on it and is being used in the site prep work. I think it may play a part in the righting process, but it will be a minor part.

While not much visible progress shows, the changing work scene each day indicates that a lot is being accomplished sub-surface. Keep watching those web cams, folks.

Doc