opting out of auto tipping?

Antique1900

No...the NCL service charge is discretionary, just as the contract says, and can be adjusted or even removed altogether by the passenger.

NOT according to the FAQ on the NCL website:

"NCL Service Charge

On all NCL ships payment of Pre-Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. The service charge is only for guests ages 3 years & up." Sure looks like REQUIRED to me!!! Just as someone posted in a previous post.

NCLA employees are working in the US and are subject to all US and Hawaii labor laws. The ship (Pride of America) is US flagged and remains in US waters during its cruise.

Tip pooling and tipping out are common and quite legal practices in many if not most states.

I certainly did not mention that tip pooling and tipping out are NOT uncommon in the USA and quite legal practices. But when the service charge is REQUIRED, there certainly doesn't seem to be a way to remove it. Sure you could, if you wanted to get into a major hassle with the front desk AFTER answering WHY the service was so crappy and why you didn't speak up when you were receiving such substandard service??? How many people are REALLY willing to stand in line for a hour just to explain this (unless you show up at 1AM) other than the REAL cheapos???

NOT according to the FAQ on the NCL website:

"NCL Service Charge

On all NCL ships payment of Pre-Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. The service charge is only for guests ages 3 years & up." Sure looks like REQUIRED to me!!! Just as someone posted in a previous post.

I certainly did not mention that tip pooling and tipping out are NOT uncommon in the USA and quite legal practices. But when the service charge is REQUIRED, there certainly doesn't seem to be a way to remove it. Sure you could, if you wanted to get into a major hassle with the front desk AFTER answering WHY the service was so crappy and why you didn't speak up when you were receiving such substandard service??? How many people are REALLY willing to stand in line for a hour just to explain this (unless you show up at 1AM) other than the REAL cheapos???

You're ignoring the Guest Ticket Contract, which I included in post #166 and will now repeat here in the hopes you'll read it this time. Note the words "subject to adjustment at your discretion"...and passengers not only adjust it...they completely delete it.

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employeesaccording to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

I don't know where you got that supposed FAQ either. Here's the actual FAQ from NCL's site:

http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19262

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

You've got your facts and FAQs wrong. Hence your conclusions are wrong, because the service charge is not mandatory.

I'm in no way siding with those who choose to remove it...I think it's wrong to do so except under the most unusual circumstances, but that doesn't change the fact that it's subject to adjustment at your discretion (that is NCL's contract wording, not mine) and you can be sure that on every cruise there will be a certain number of passengers who remove it from their account, whether doing so is justifiable or not.

Leafpeeper, this is off topic, so for the rest of you, please excuse me. Leafpeeper, I spent many lovely vacations in Manomet. Love it!

We moved to Manomet from Marshfield 8 years ago and love it too. Our house was built where 2 summer cottages used to be. So nice to have trees and grass at the beach. Love Cedar Bushes Beach with the deck on the bluff and a view of Provincetown. Love those Woodbridge mini wine bottles sitting on that deck on a nice day. Looking at the forecast that could be Wednesday.

These tipping posts get so confusing. It almost makes me wish they'd all do away with tipping and just raise the darn price of the cruise! Then again, giving people an option to tip is how a perfect world should be in my eyes. Many folks always praise the staff, and for the most part..YES, but the last 2 cruises I also have had clunkers, never had a smiling waiter two cruises ago and last cruise the whole staff was good except for my cabin steward who seemed to work when he wanted, one night not showing up and never said hello once?

The auto tip is nice for the fact that some of the behind the scenes folks get some $$$, but there are always folks I don't thing deserve a tip, and that's almost every trip I take cruise or not.

Hypothetical question about the money they get to keep or pool, many who pull tips or adjust them do it on the last night or last morning, let's just say someone tipped the steward everyday, then pulled the tip the last morning, you're saying the steward would need to recall what he got everyday and turn it in then, after he may have already spent some of it?

I work in the tourism industry dealing with tourists, entertaining and talking with them daily, folks from all over the world. I see them everyday living in a place where everything is toruism based. Some folks here live and die by "the tip". I'm directly involved with tourists daily cannot accept any tip, for me personally or to be pooled, totally against my owners rules, then again I make a fair wage, enough to take a little cruise every year or two. So tipping I know, and I think you gotta kind of deserve it, and yes, SOME do.

.....Then again, giving people an option to tip is how a perfect world should be in my eyes. Many folks always praise the staff, and for the most part..YES, but the last 2 cruises I also have had clunkers, never had a smiling waiter two cruises ago ....

I dunno about the rest of the readers here, but if the waiter gets my order correct, brings out my food in a timely manner, clears away the plates when we're done, and checks on us to make sure we're satisfied, that is all I need and will consider that this waiter's services were rendered satisfactorily and he/she has earned the full gratuity. That he may not smile is not a reason to adjust the tip downward. He's not there to be your best friend. In fact, in some high brow, very expensive, 5-star restaurants, the waiters consider themselves much too sophisticated to exhibit any kind of emotion, especially a smile :D

I don't know about the rest of you reading this thread but I hope and pray I'm not seated at dinner between these two people trying to prove their respective points concerning the subject of auto-tipping. They are so concerned with trying to prove their respective points that I envision they would miss out on the sights and sounds of the cruise. Lighten up guys......remember why you booked the cruise. It should have had nothing to do with the subject of tipping. Get a life!

The reason that so many feel the need to discuss this subject is because of the misunderstandings and flat out "justifications" that are stated on these tipping threads. I don't many of us will ask at a table if everyone is keeping on their tips. But if I do hear someone boasting about doing so, I would probably suggest that they do not understand why this is autotipping and what would happen to a crew member who they remove the tips from (those crew members are often called before their supervisor and asked what they may have done to warrant this). And hope the passenger wasn't being snarky or inconsiderate -- just that they didn't realize the consequences. But if they are a schmuck, what can you do?

We just got back from cruising to Hawaii. We opted out and paid who we wanted and the amount. The man who cleaned our room we gave a big tip to and the person who served us the whole cruise was tipped well.

By saying you "opted out," that says to me that you removed the tip. So if the tipping pool works the same way on that ship as on ones I've been on, you haven't really rewarded your steward and waiter as you thought you did.

There is a difference between opting out of auto tip and removing them when you get on board, right?

• Opting out means you tip at the end in the envelopes just like everyone else, right? (well unless you are a jerk and stiff them)No one, excpet my CC thinks your being cheap?
  • Removing them when on board means you just added $300 or so to your OBC, and are a jerk. Correct?

I am asking this because I have sometimes not done the auto tip. How is it possible that auto tip doesnt go into a pool but cash does? this seems to defy logic. Cash goes in your pocket and electronic payment goes to the pool and is documented as wages. Someone WHO TRUELY KNOWS, please explain the process.

From what I understand on just about every line that utilizes autotips, those tips are placed in the pool. Not just any cash you happen to give to the workers. The only tips that aren't pooled, is any cash you give to a worker for whom you have kept on the auto tip.

So, if you give your cabin steward $30 the last day of the cruise, he has to inform his supervisor who checks your name against the autotip removal list. If you have removed the auto tip, that $30 goes into the pool so your steward only gets a portion of it. If you haven't removed the autotip, your steward gets the $30 back and also gets to share in the pool.

My responses in red.

We have reduced tips when we didn't get service and tipped those who gave us service. Some people think you can't reduce your tips if they are automatic or prepaid, but you can. Just go to the purser's desk and tell them you want tips refunded. Our bartenders, cabin stewards and food servers liked the cash.

So when you didn't "get service," did you go to the front desk and ask to speak to a supervisor about this? Explain why you didn't think you weren't getting "service"? Maybe if you had explained as soon as possible what was happening, and it's some service the steward or waiter should be providing, it would have been corrected.

These tipping posts get so confusing. It almost makes me wish they'd all do away with tipping and just raise the darn price of the cruise! Then again, giving people an option to tip is how a perfect world should be in my eyes. Many folks always praise the staff, and for the most part..YES, but the last 2 cruises I also have had clunkers, never had a smiling waiter two cruises ago and last cruise the whole staff was good except for my cabin steward who seemed to work when he wanted, one night not showing up and never said hello once?

See my remark just above your quote.

The auto tip is nice for the fact that some of the behind the scenes folks get some $$$, but there are always folks I don't thing deserve a tip, and that's almost every trip I take cruise or not.

How do you know which behind the scenes folks weren't doing their job? Did you go check in person on those washing the dishes or laundering the sheets?

Hypothetical question about the money they get to keep or pool, many who pull tips or adjust them do it on the last night or last morning, let's just say someone tipped the steward everyday, then pulled the tip the last morning, you're saying the steward would need to recall what he got everyday and turn it in then, after he may have already spent some of it?

Supposedly the crew members involved in the tipping pool are to let their supervisor know how much they received and from whom (when I was in anytime dining last cruise, I remember the waiter asking which cabins everyone at the table were in and I'm guessing that's just in case someone gives the "green" handshake after the meal). At the end of the cruise, the supervisors will know which passengers have kept on the autotips and which ones haven't. And to answer your unasked question, the crew members live in very confined cabins with many other crew members. So if someone is squirreling away cash that wasn't reported, it'll get around. It's the other crew members who are getting stiffed when they do that so they do care.

I work in the tourism industry dealing with tourists, entertaining and talking with them daily, folks from all over the world. I see them everyday living in a place where everything is toruism based. Some folks here live and die by "the tip". I'm directly involved with tourists daily cannot accept any tip, for me personally or to be pooled, totally against my owners rules, then again I make a fair wage, enough to take a little cruise every year or two. So tipping I know, and I think you gotta kind of deserve it, and yes, SOME do.

Again, my answers are in red.

This may be slightly off topic, but... i usually like to tip my steward an extra 20 at the beginning of my cruise (as well as the auto tip). Will they not be allowed to keep the 20 i gave them?

As long as you leave the auto DSC/tip on your account, he or she will be able to keep it. But I believe there is a procedure. Your steward will have to turn in the $20 as soon as you give it; the money will be recorded into his or her "account"; at the end of the cruise if you have not removed the auto tip, then your steward will be given the $20 plus his or her share of the pooled amounts.

We have reduced tips when we didn't get service and tipped those who gave us service. Some people think you can't reduce your tips if they are automatic or prepaid, but you can. Just go to the purser's desk and tell them you want tips refunded. Our bartenders, cabin stewards and food servers liked the cash.

I know the bartenders are not part of the DSC tip pool and are allowed to keep cash tips because all drink charges have an automatic 15%-18% added and that cannot be removed or reduced. Basically, you were double tipping the bartenders, which is your choice of course. But were the stewards and dining staff allowed to keep the cash even though you reduced/removed your auto tips? When you reduce or remove them, the staff have contractual requirements to turn in any cash you give them. I have no doubt that there is the temptation by some to "hide" the cash, but I seriously doubt it happens often. They're unlikely to want to risk their job and future contracts over some $, especially when they know they'll receive a share of the pooled amounts. Plus, when you reduce or remove the auto tip, the crew members assigned to serve you have to answer for why their service was not up to your expectations.

beachchick

The reason that so many feel the need to discuss this subject is because of the misunderstandings and flat out "justifications" that are stated on these tipping threads. I don't many of us will ask at a table if everyone is keeping on their tips. But if I do hear someone boasting about doing so' date=' I would probably suggest that they do not understand why this is autotipping and what would happen to a crew member who they remove the tips from (those crew members are often called before their supervisor and asked what they may have done to warrant this). And hope the passenger wasn't being snarky or inconsiderate -- just that they didn't realize the consequences. But if they are a schmuck, what can you do?[/color']

By saying you "opted out," that says to me that you removed the tip. So if the tipping pool works the same way on that ship as on ones I've been on, you haven't really rewarded your steward and waiter as you thought you did.

My responses in red.

ok, that makes sense. No body said anything about people who just dont add the auto tip as apposed to removing it. Is it viewed the same way by the staff? They plan on a stiff?

As long as you leave the auto DSC/tip on your account, he or she will be able to keep it. But I believe there is a procedure. Your steward will have to turn in the $20 as soon as you give it; the money will be recorded into his or her "account"; at the end of the cruise if you have not removed the auto tip, then your steward will be given the $20 plus his or her share of the pooled amounts.

Thanks I didn't know that.

Bottom Line:

The cost of cruising -- cruise cost + port charges + taxes + service charge (Tips) + onboard purchases + shore excursions + alternative restaurants.

Pay it, or stay home! Leave service charges in place (baseline) and tip extra if you feel the need. All others are amateurs and cheap bas****s.

So, how do I really feel?:D

Kel:)

Bottom Line:

The cost of cruising -- cruise cost + port charges + taxes + service charge (Tips) + onboard purchases + shore excursions + alternative restaurants.

Pay it, or stay home! Leave service charges in place (baseline) and tip extra if you feel the need. All others are amateurs and cheap bas****s.

So, how do I really feel?:D

Kel:)

See, this is what I am talking about. I tip cash because I thought they would see more of it and I am called a cheap b for doing this.

Hey @ least I am not a d****e bag!

Wow!

The point is, I am not an amateur and I am not a cheap B. And I am absolutely not defending anyone who thinks they dont have to tip for their kid, baby, grandma, etc. AND I always tip extra. Even when my kid orders room service, my biggest concern is that she has tipped $5 at least.

I spent 20 years of my working life depending on tips. As in, My Mortgage Depends On It, depends. I know the feeling of pooling my tips and I know the feeling of being stiffed.

I have always known that paying cash is much better than auto tipping because it isnt shared, nor is it always calculated. Now, if the staff on a ship get shook down at the end of a cruise for any cash they have, it is news to me. And it doesnt make sense that if you auto tip, they get to keep the extra yet if it is a regualr tip they dont. What would stop anyone from putting the cash given for a total cash tip into the envelope with the auto tipped patron and say the total cash tipped person never tipped? Or just stick it in their other pocket, sock, hat, bum, etc...

This whole 'auto tip or they dont get to keep their cash tip' sounds like a cruise critic urband legend.

This whole 'auto tip or they dont get to keep their cash tip' sounds like a cruise critic urband legend.

It's not a CC urban legend. Please feel free to ask on your next cruise. Go to the purser's desk and just ask. Simple.

You have had tons of experienced cruisers tell you how it works and why. The fact that you choose to continue not to believe any of them, won't change a thing.... including your mind. I don't understand why you are even bothering to read this thread since you think we are all lying and it's your way only. You clearly don't want to learn from other's experiences and knowledge.

It's not a CC urban legend. Please feel free to ask on your next cruise. Go to the purser's desk and just ask. Simple.

You have had tons of experienced cruisers tell you how it works and why. The fact that you choose to continue not to believe any of them, won't change a thing.... including your mind. I don't understand why you are even bothering to read this thread since you think we are all lying and it's your way only. You clearly don't want to learn from other's experiences and knowledge.

Actually the only real answer I got from a nice CC member started with 'from what i understand'.

with myself being an experienced cruiser AND an experienced tip receiver (and giver) I have clearly pointed out the flaws in the whole auto tip=keep extra cash vs. all cash=pooled. I asked what the waiter and steward preferred on my first cruise in 2004 I was told cash by both. The reason I asked is because it is very important to me that they recieve it and can choose to spend it how they want. Cash i was told and cash is usually what i give unless it is a 9 or 12 day cruise where I do auto because it just seems like a lot of cash to have around. and then i add to it.

I dont understand why you even bothering to respond if I am such a dumb-dumb. you clearly realize you are talking to an idiot, right? or maybe your just surfing to stir up trouble since this is the first I have seen of you on this thread? Care to comment?

The point is, I am not an amateur and I am not a cheap B. And I am absolutely not defending anyone who thinks they dont have to tip for their kid, baby, grandma, etc. AND I always tip extra. Even when my kid orders room service, my biggest concern is that she has tipped $5 at least.

I spent 20 years of my working life depending on tips. As in, My Mortgage Depends On It, depends. I know the feeling of pooling my tips and I know the feeling of being stiffed.

I have always known that paying cash is much better than auto tipping because it isnt shared, nor is it always calculated. Now, if the staff on a ship get shook down at the end of a cruise for any cash they have, it is news to me. And it doesnt make sense that if you auto tip, they get to keep the extra yet if it is a regualr tip they dont. What would stop anyone from putting the cash given for a total cash tip into the envelope with the auto tipped patron and say the total cash tipped person never tipped? Or just stick it in their other pocket, sock, hat, bum, etc...

What is so hard to understand?

If a passenger removes the service charge (or auto tip), any cash tips that passenger gives must be turned in to the pool. Passengers who remove the service charge must explain their reasons, and are identified - so the crew members know. Of course, a crew member can try to hide the fact that he has received a tip - but at risk to his job. I am sure some do - and probably some get away with it -- the same way some cheapskates probably remove the service charge, claim that they prefer to give cash tips, and then not give anything.

What I find hard to understand is the incessant posting of such transparent tripe by so many who claim to not understand, not be aware of, or simply not approve of, the clearly stated, and fairly rational practices of the cruise lines they choose to sail.

What I find hard to understand is the incessant posting of such transparent tripe by so many who claim to not understand, not be aware of, or simply not approve of, the clearly stated, and fairly rational practices of the cruise lines they choose to sail.

Well said! This statement would apply to so many topics on these boards!

If a passenger removes the service charge (or auto tip), any cash tips that passenger gives must be turned in to the pool. Passengers who remove the service charge must explain their reasons, and are identified - so the crew members know. Of course, a crew member can try to hide the fact that he has received a tip - but at risk to his job. I am sure some do - and probably some get away with it -- the same way some cheapskates probably remove the service charge, claim that they prefer to give cash tips, and then not give anything.

What I find hard to understand is the incessant posting of such transparent tripe by so many who claim to not understand, not be aware of, or simply not approve of, the clearly stated, and fairly rational practices of the cruise lines they choose to sail.[/quote

I dont understand how it is transparent tripe when I am cleary stating what I was told and how a 'practice' has now been changed to 'mandatory auto tipping'. notice how I said 'mandatory auto tipping' as opposed to mandatory tipping because tipping IS mandatory.

Oh and please read the above comment to the other CC Expert Tipper and answer this please.

Is there a difference between removing the auto tip and having never added it? Meaning: Do you, as an experienced crew member (obviously) look @ those who never added the auto tip like you do the ones who remove it once on board (ie. a Stiffer)?

What I find hard to understand is the incessant posting of such transparent tripe by so many who claim to not understand, not be aware of, or simply not approve of, the clearly stated, and fairly rational practices of the cruise lines they choose to sail.[/quote

I dont understand how it is transparent tripe when I am cleary stating what I was told and how a 'practice' has now been changed to 'mandatory auto tipping'. notice how I said 'mandatory auto tipping' as opposed to mandatory tipping because tipping IS mandatory.

Oh and please read the above comment to the other CC Expert Tipper and answer this please.

Is there a difference between removing the auto tip and having never added it? Meaning: Do you, as an experienced crew member (obviously) look @ those who never added the auto tip like you do the ones who remove it once on board (ie. a Stiffer)?

Please stop and think:

A) In most cases, auto-tipping is not mandatory -- the fact that it is removeable means it remains discretionary.

B) Talking about the difference between "... those who never added the auto tip..." and "... the ones who remove it once on board..." is absurd. It is called an "auto tip" because it is automatically added -- no one "...never added the auto tip..." -- it is a fait accompli - it is simply there unless you take action to remove it.

Try to understand a bit about what you are discussing before discussing it further.

Please stop and think:

A) In most cases, auto-tipping is not mandatory -- the fact that it is removeable means it remains discretionary.

B) Talking about the difference between "... those who never added the auto tip..." and "... the ones who remove it once on board..." is absurd. It is called an "auto tip" because it is automatically added -- no one "...never added the auto tip..." -- it is a fait accompli - it is simply there unless you take action to remove it.

Try to understand a bit about what you are discussing before discussing it further.

Do me a favor. Pretend like you are not a 'know it all' and go onto rccl's website and, just for fun, create a cruise from start to finish. When you are done come back and apologize. It is not automatically added. Maybe thru the TA you use or something but not the way I book. Once you have done that and realize that you too could learn something on these boards maybe you wont be so rude.

quid pro quo motha!

You just don't get it, do you. Or don't "care" to get it. And I sure don't understand what the last part of your statement means after the word opposed.

Who you are quoting stated they asked in 2004 (when CASH was the PREFERRED method-in fact, I don't even remember a lot of added on tips/gratuities/or whatever you want to call it back then-you gave out envelopes the last night of the cruise). But believe me, those dining rooms were 1/3 MT on that last night (the cheapos who were going to stiff the waiters)

A LOT has changed since then. With the advent of anytime dining (where a LOT of people were NOT tipping at all), some ships now have the auto-tips added as PREPAID MANDATORY if you choose anytime dining (to make SURE everyone gets the gratuities). And some have the auto-tips added onto your onboard account where you CAN remove them BUT you must explain WHY you removed them.

The auto tip is generally added on to your bill (which is why they pre authorize XXX dollars on your credit card when you check in) on a daily basis. So it is NOT like YOU just "add" it unless IT IS MANDATORY and prepaid.

Simple fact check for Royal Caribbean's tipping practices/procedures:

(1) Royal Caribbean still uses the old "cash in envelope handed directly to the crew member" tipping method. The tip is not mandatory. It is not automatically added to your on board account. Despite this, some tips are pooled, per Royal's tipping FAQ: "Notice to guests: Gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement."

(2) You have the option to prepay your gratuities when you pay your cruise fare.

(3) You have the option to have the tips added to your on board account. You can do this by completing the appropriate form and handing it in to the Guest Services desk.

(4) The only time tipping is mandatory (and must be prepaid) is if you opt for "anytime dining".

You can find Royal Caribbean's tipping FAQ here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=263&faqSubjectId=415&faqType=faq

Please feel free to resume your arguments.:rolleyes:

Archived