Lots of questions

CMAP

We are sailing on Millie in less than 3 weeks. This is my first cruise and I have several questions so I thought I would ask them all at once. :)

1. I've heard the decks can be pretty windy. I have long hair. Do I need to plan on wearing it up most of the time?

2. For the ladies: I read somewhere not to wear heels (???). Will I have trouble walking around in them in the evening (problems from drinking not included ;))?

3. We are doing two excursions. One is to the waterfall in Jamaica and zip lining. The other is a jeep excursion with snorkeling. What do I do with things like my cell phone, ID, passport, etc. while doing some of this stuff? Obviously I can have it on me while snorkeling or I assume zip lining.

4. I will need to call home daily to talk to my kids. I understand that I should have cell service while at sea. Is this service dependable? I know its going to be spendy but I not calling isn't an option. If it matters, I have an iPhone.

5. I tend to get motion sickness so I have bought some Bonine. Does it make u sleepy like Dramamine does? I have taken Dramamine once and it knocked me out and made me feel horrible.

6. I have read that there is a track on the ship but that it feels up with walkers. How early do u think I will have to get to it in order to run on it?

I think that's all for now. Thanks in advance! :D

You will be boarding Millie as I exit!

My wife often wears heels; if you are used to wearing heels it should not be too difficult unless the seas are rough. If the seas are rough I'd advise against the heels.

Be advised that phone calls run about $2.49 per minute from the ship, so I ten minute call would cost $25! Also, be sure to have data turned off; the problem with having a smart phone on while on the ship is that if it does an automatic update you may end up with a four figure phone bill. Might be best to call from the ports (get a calling card while at port) and shoot off an e-mail during the sea day(s) instead of a call. That way you can keep the phone powered off and not worry about incurring crazy data fees.

While there is a non-drowsy form of Bonine, some still find it makes them drowsy. Best to take it at nighttime before going to bed. Also it is a good idea to start taking it a couple of nights before your cruise so some can get in your system and your body can adjust to it (and so you can see if it will make you too drowsy to be able to handle taking it during your vacation).

The track on other ships I have sailed on (this will be my first time on Millie) does get rather hectic, not so much with walkers, but just with people wandering about the deck and stopping and talking with others without realizing they are in the middle of the jogging track. The earlier you go, the better. Another good time to go (if you have late seating) is about fifteen minutes after sail-a-way on port days. The early dinner crowd starts prepping for dinner and the people out on deck observing sail-a-way start wandering off after about 15 minutes.

Have a great cruise! :)

1. I've heard the decks can be pretty windy. I have long hair. Do I need to plan on wearing it up most of the time?

Parts of the deck can be windy, but there are areas that you won't feel wind at all.

2. For the ladies: I read somewhere not to wear heels (???). Will I have trouble walking around in them in the evening (problems from drinking not included )?

If the seas are rocky, the captain advise women not to wear high heels so as to not fall and break a leg or ankle.

3. We are doing two excursions. One is to the waterfall in Jamaica and zip lining. The other is a jeep excursion with snorkeling. What do I do with things like my cell phone, ID, passport, etc. while doing some of this stuff? Obviously I can have it on me while snorkeling or I assume zip lining.

Leave the passport on the ship, in your safe. No reason to take that off the ship and risk it being stolen. Why take you cell off? Unless you really need to call someone, leave that on the ship. There are little waterproof bags you can buy that will fit some cash, your driver's license, a credit card and your ship card. That's all you need.

4. I will need to call home daily to talk to my kids. I understand that I should have cell service while at sea. Is this service dependable? I know its going to be spendy but I not calling isn't an option. If it matters, I have an iPhone.

Yes, you should have cell service at sea. But, with an iPhone, make absolutely sure you turn off Data Roaming unless you want to come home to a $1000 phone bill. You can still call with the Data Roaming turned off.

5. I tend to get motion sickness so I have bought some Bonine. Does it make u sleepy like Dramamine does? I have taken Dramamine once and it knocked me out and made me feel horrible.

Bonine won't make you as sleepy, but you have to watch it with alcohol.

6. I have read that there is a track on the ship but that it feels up with walkers. How early do u think I will have to get to it in order to run on it?

It's not really a great running track because there are always sunbathers and deck chairs in the way, but if you get out there by 7 to 8 am or so, it should be pretty empty.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Very skilled at walking in heels so I am glad to know I can still wear them.

Data roaming is always off on my phone so it never updates on is own. I know its gonna be an expensive phone bill. Not looking forward to it but there is no way around it. The only other option would be to skype but I would think the internet fees would be even more. Anything else I need to know about my phone? Darn smart phones. LOL.

I planned to take my phone off of the ship because I use it as my camera. Even if I don't then I need to take a camera. I've read before to always take my passport with me while in port. Is that not true???

I've read before to always take my passport with me while in port. Is that not true???
It depends on where you are. Ships are always quite explicit as to what ID you need. Usually you have to go through 2 levels of security. The customs/immigration officials in the port want to see proof of who you are, which is usually the passport or a picture ID like a driver's license. They also want to make sure you belong on the ship, hence the ship card. The ship will just be concerned with the ship card, as they have your picture in their system to compare to as you stick your card in the "bong-bonger" machine.

.... I've read before to always take my passport with me while in port. Is that not true???
It is not true. As others have advised, leave your passport safely locked up in your cabin safe. You don't need it at any of the ports on a Caribbean itinerary.

If you are ever on an itinerary that has a port where you need to take your passport off the ship with you, they will always let you know when you need to do so.

There are many different types of waterproof pouches and wallets sold many places that you can get for swimming and snorkeling. They can be hung around your neck or attached to arm or waist. (Examples shown at Waterproof Wallets ).

They even sell some small ones on the ship in the liquor store where they have the first aid products, toiletries and miscellaneous odds and ends.

(The first time we went looking for such items on a ship, we were surprised to find them in the liquor store.)

For seasickness prevention, you can just request meclizine at Guest Relations (Deck 3, center of ship). Also green apples are supposed to be good and usually available at the front of the buffet on deck 10.

For staying in touch with the kids, or anyone else, we find emailing to be easiest and most convenient.

We are sailing on Millie in less than 3 weeks. This is my first cruise and I have several questions so I thought I would ask them all at once. :)

2. For the ladies: I read somewhere not to wear heels (???). Will I have trouble walking around in them in the evening (problems from drinking not included ;))?

I think that's all for now. Thanks in advance! :D

I just wanted to comment on the motion sickness.....I have always taken Gravel ( it is what we use in Canada, it is like your dramamine), but then I tried Bonine and it was great, doesn't make you as sleepy, but then last year I tried natural ginger capsules and they worked great, didn't make me at all sleepy.....I did still have my Bonine with me just in case, but I didn't have to use it at all, I just used my ginger....just a thought for you...

Addressing your concerns regarding motion sickness, you might consider buying a pair of sea bands. An acquaintance has severe motion sickness to the point that she can become car sick. She swears by the sea bands. They are elastic wrist bands which use acupuncture points to prevent motion sickness. They are frequently also used by women who experience severe morning sickness during pregnancy. I bought a pair at a local grocery store which I keep in my toiletry bag, but have never had to use them.

Thanks for all the great info. I guess I thought u should take your passport in case u miss the ship. We booked our excursions through the ship tho so I am sure that won't be an issue.

I know when I went to Mexico in 2008, I bought a "waterproof" holder and it did a great job of holding water. LOL.

One more thing. So do you think there really is no way to take a camera with me on the excursions? I could have it with me when I am while on the jeep excursion but can't use it while snorkeling. Guessing I shouldn't leave a camera w the staff of the excursion???

I guess I'll play the "devil's advocate" on this thread. I ALWAYS take a copy of my driver's license and passport and my cell phone. We also take a waterproof container. Most recently we used a large flat one called a "Dry Pak" which held all of our paperwork, money, passport copies, medicines, and electronics while we snorkeled in the ocean several times. This one has thin rope-like strings so it can be worn as a back-pack or tied around your wrist or worn around your neck. It floats, it's lightweight, and completely waterproof. We tested it in our sink before we left to make sure it worked. No problems and a great investment! My daughter and I order Ginger Ale (room service or at the bars). It has ginger in it and it always helps with naseau. Also, you can get free meds from the Purser's Desk.

You could always take a disposable underwater camera or two with you. That's what we are planning to do for our snorkeling and diving excursions. They can also be used out of the water, though picture quality will probably not be as good as your regular camera for that.

We got ours from Amazon - a pack of three was about $19.00 if I remember correctly and we also got one at a bargain price on e-Bay.

Have a great cruise!

At Trader Joes they have uncrystallized ginger in the candy section. I had always used the sea bands but in 2009 someone gave me a bag of the ginger while on a cruise. I ate 2 pieces in the morning and another if seas were rough. Haven't needed the seabands since.

I don't like the feeling some of the seasick medicines give me. I totally recommend Trade Joes ginger

My son's cell phone got stolen in a restaurant. Before he reported it there were 2500. worth of charges on it. He was responsible. When he didn't see it on the table he thought he had left it in his cabin. Be careful.

Passports are a valuable commodity. Ours stay in the safe. If you are not on the ship X will leave it with their representative in port. Just be sure you have a drivers license or other picture id. A picture of your passport doesn't count. We saw a woman almost not be able to get back on the ship because she only had a picture of her passport and her ship's card.

Enjoy your cruise!

One more thing. So do you think there really is no way to take a camera with me on the excursions? I could have it with me when I am while on the jeep excursion but can't use it while snorkeling. Guessing I shouldn't leave a camera w the staff of the excursion???

I have had little trouble bringing my Nikon DSLR on excursions. For trips that are very splashy or in the water, search on the Internet for waterproof cameras. I have a Panasonic, I think it is. It's waterproof down to about 5 or 6 feet. It doesn't take as great pictures as the Nikon, but better than nothing at all.

We leave the passports in our room safe. We have a little waterproof case that ties to the strap of my trunks and reaches to the zippered pocket. It is with me everywhere I go...swimming, snorkeling etc. I keep our drivers license, room cards, a credit card and cash in the case.

We carry beach bags with snorkeling gear, towels, food from breakfast, camera, etc. We leave them on the beach. Never had a problem, but we could live without any of it if it were stolen.

I am thinking about scanning our passports and emailing them to my yahoo account. That way if we missed the ship, we would have a credit card, our licenses and with access to the internet a copy of our passports could be retrieved.

ps...we leave our cell phones in the ship's safe as well.

I agree with the others about the waterproof packs they do work if you use them correctly...

I just wanted to chime in about the phone calls...I know how important it is to chat with your kids and for that you can talk to your provider and they can set you up with a temp sim card and data plan for your phone, it is much cheaper then the ship cost!

good luck and have fun!

M

CMAP I don't know if you're near a World Market but if so, by the back where they sell "foreign foods" and coffee, they have different candies which include several types of ginger candies which say on the box that they are good for sea sickness. They come in what looks like a little cigarette package. One is by Ginger People called Gin Gins Boost "the travelers candy."

We were going to buy a disposable camera for our last cruise. When we were at the store we saw a Kodak easyshare sport waterproof camera. It was $60 and it takes an SD card. We weighed the price of continually buying disposables each time we cruised so we bought the Kodak. Not only does it take great underwater photos but it takes great photos day and night. We bought a little floaty thing for it in case we accidently let go of it in the water. It has been a great investment and if we happen to lose it we are out far less money thatn if something happened to our Nikon DSLR.

My wife gets real bad motion sickness and most medicine puts her to sleep, including both motion sickness meds mentioned. She takes ginger pills and also peppermint candy, star mints. The combination works very well for her. She starts taking the ginger about a week before the cruise to get it into her system and working and then the recommended amount daily while on the ship. The star mints are taken when the seas start to get rough or she feels a bit queasy. Good Luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Addressing your concerns regarding motion sickness, you might consider buying a pair of sea bands. An acquaintance has severe motion sickness to the point that she can become car sick. She swears by the sea bands. They are elastic wrist bands which use acupuncture points to prevent motion sickness. They are frequently also used by women who experience severe morning sickness during pregnancy. I bought a pair at a local grocery store which I keep in my toiletry bag, but have never had to use them.

I read this someone use Relief Band and love them look it up good luck!

The Falls in Jamaica can be strenuous, depending on the water levels and speed of the falls......DO NOT TAKE A VALUABLE CAMERA, even in a dry bag. When we did the falls, there was a nice couple and only one of them made the trek with us.....we let the wife carry our camera and take a few shots. It worked!! We would never take passports...but a copy is good.....and my phone has no data while gone....and I turn it off almost all the time.

Finally, notify your credit card company that you are going out of country (and the dates so later charges can be disputed)....and only take one card if possible for the whole trip. Most companies now charge a 3% fee on foreign transactions....just be aware for onshore purchases.

Archived