Anybody been to the Mexican Riviera?

johnql

I'm considering a cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Star. I've sailed on the Dawn and loved it. Figured the Star would be a similar experience. But I don't know much about the Mexican Riviera. Is there a preferred time of year to cruise there? Any time to avoid it? Or does it matter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As with most mid lattitudes in the north,storm season is from late July to early november. Usually the Pacific sees them a bit later than the Caribbean. Rainy season is generally from Dec. to Feb. The best, weather-wise, would be early Feb. to April.

In general the Mexican Riviera shares climate with Hawaii (I think it's PV that is nearly on a line with the Islands). When we were down there in Dec. 01 we had rain in Cabo, overcast and showers in Mazatlan and fabulous weather in Puerto Vallarta. We did a PV land vacation in mid June last year and really roasted.

We are going on STAR in February next year. I'm betting we have great weather once we get past Baja where it could still be a bit rainy.

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)
1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)
2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)
2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)
2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)
2004 Maasdam (HAL)

johnql,
I am looking into the same ship & itinerary. I enjoyed a port review by karfest, referenced below. Sounds like a lot of fun.

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=909097554&m=321107381&r=389104191#389104191"]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=909097554&m=321107381&r=389104191#389104191[/url]

Her cruise was on Princess, but since there is no information yet on the [I]STAR[/I] to the Mexican Riviera, I thought it would be a good start.

My DH and I cruised the Mexican Riviera on a 10day (Princess) cruise during the very end of March through the first week of April in 2002. It was a great time to cruise in our opinion. We particularly enjoyed the ports further south, Acapulco, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa and Puerto Vallarta. The pacific ocean waters and beaches are very different from the Caribbean side. I prefer the Caribbean, but I would definitely cruise to Mexico again. We love the latin culture. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Eric and Beth

Seaward (Norwegian Sea) - Southern Caribbean - 1995
Norway - Eastern Caribbean - 2001
Sea Princess - Mexican Riviera - 2002
Norwegian Sun - Western Caribbean - 2004

Hoping our next cruise is in:

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00FF00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2005;05;21;06;00;00&timezone=EST-0300[/img]

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

johnql,

We did it in Jan 2002 (Sea Princess) and had excellent weather with temps in the 80's in PV and Mazatlan. Cabo was low 70's and of course it got cooler as we went north. Only one day with any "seas" was that evening through the next afternoon northbound after Cabo.

We'll be on the Norwegian Star at the end of April 2005 - love that 8 day itinerary [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

richard

johnql,

you might as well join us for the Feb. 9, Valentines Day cruise.

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)
2004 Maasdam (HAL)

As Julie mentioned, we were just there at the end of April. The weather was fantastic! It was 85-90 with low humidity and no clouds the whole time. We are planning to do this same basic itinerary next year on the Star since it is the only under 10 day cruise that hits Acapulco. We are looking at Feb or April to avoid spring break. I have loads more information than I put in my other post, I still had my sea legs when I wrote that!

Karen

Johnql

E-mail me at [email]hobbsey1957@yahoo.com[/email]. I have some leads for you in that regard...and no, I am not a cruise agent (well, not for three years now).

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)
2004 Maasdam (HAL)

eric and beth-

can you give us a little more color on the
beaches? a travel agent told us the beaches
were not that nice and the surf had currents
etc. is that true? we were a little disappointed when we heard this.

marie and larry

I did the Mexican Riv aboard the Carnavil Pride
last Thanksgiving. In my opinion I second the
thoughts of your travel agent. I hope the two new stops on the Star are better because I would love to take a cruise on the star now that
she will be on the west coast. I will have a tough time convincing my wife to cruise Mexican
Riv again. If your going for water sports I think there are plenty of better places. Most of the beaches are just ok. Cabo had great snorkling the day we were there,but water conditions change fast and water clearity is
a crap shoot. Its a great place to go and party.
The people are all very nice.

An absolute MUST DO - Go to LeCliff restaurant while in Puerto Vallarta and eat(preferrably at sunset! Voted most romantic place in Latin America and I saw why!Chuck Norris movie filmed there and one other which I can't remember.Take a taxi from the pier- great scenery on the way - about a 20 min. ride. Great food/drinks and views unbelievable from this "cliff" overlooking ocean/bay below! A must do in Puerto Vallarta!

Debbie in MS

We did an 11-nighter on Celebrity (Mercury) out of San Diego on 2/29/04. We selected the cruise because of the itinerary (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo and Manzanillo). We had great weather and the waters were calm. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

NH

Also did the Mercury cruise - in early December. The weather was wonderful but the TA is correct - go to the Mexican Riviera for the culture, the change in experience - but probably not for the beach activities. I did not go into the ocean (& I LOVE to snorkel) but did NOT miss it. Enjoy.

Unfortunately the ship leaves far too early to enjoy dinner and sunset in PV.

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)
2004 Maasdam (HAL)

It was great reading Karfest's port review. We've never done any of the Mex. Riviera, either, but these posts sure paint an interesting picture!

This is OT - but don't know where else to ask (you can answer privately if you don't want to posthere), but just curious, karfest:

You mention not being able to get into Cabo due to engine problems, thus 2 days at sea. Off and on, we all read so much on the NCL bd when this kind of thing happens (Crown, Star recently) and what is or is not done. Just curious how Princess handled that one.

We found out about the port cancellation a week before our cruise. We were given $100 pp on board credit. I was disappointed to miss the port, but we would have only been there from 7am-1pm. I think Princess was more than generous and I appreciated that they let us know before rather than it being a surprise.
We did hear people at the pursers desk raising hell and threatening to "sue" which I thought was completely uncalled for. There must be a special place in Heaven for airline ticket agents and pursers desk employees. Most of these cruisers had not gotten the info from their TA, and somehow thought that was Princess' fault.
The credit was the first item on our statement so we actually started with a -$200!

Karen
Carnival Inspiration-So Carib
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas-East Carib
NCL Sun-West Carib
Dawn Princess-Mexican Riviera
up next- NCL Star to Mexico!

ok, here goes the miss negative. As most of you know I am not that, but I just don't care for the Mexican Riv, nor did our daughter or my brother. The fun part is sailing a nice ship which we all know the Star is nice and if you live on the west coast the convenience of sailing out of LA> As a southern CA native and one who has spent time in Cabo and Mazatan I would say cruise in Mar to July and maybe November. Dec and Jan can and usually will be pretty nippy until you get way into Mexico. I am not saying don't cruise the Pacific ocean, I am just saying the ports will not be nearly as interesting as outher islands and the weather can be cooler than some like. Good attitude will go along way and good luck, NMNita

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

Nita, you speak the truth, I see notjing negative in your caution.

There's no doubt that the weather can be cooler, especially for the first and last day of the cruise, for a good part of the year. The air is dryer (the skies are a bit bluer) and at night it can even feel cold.

However, there is fun to be had and interesting places to find when you go ashore. It's just not as familiar as in the Caribbean. It's not quite as "geared up" for cruise passengers.

The water is very different, for sure. This is open coast to the ocean. The coast is craggy, and there are not many spots with good coral reef conditions off shore, we're on the windward side of the continent.

It's not the Caribbean. But that alone might make one want to try it. In the same way as Alaska, Hawaii, Europe, Asia, Canada-New England, etc. are different, so is this itinerary.

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)
2004 Maasdam (HAL)

And, for others with a different passion...

one word...

Tequi[B]tequila!![/B]la!!

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)
2004 Maasdam (HAL)

My wife had posted earlier, and I will tag on my thoughts as well. I agree with Nina. Do not go to the Mexican Riviera believing that LA is a more convenient jump off point to a Caribbean style cruise. They are completely different. Not that one is better than the other, but you should know what you are looking forward to most, and base your itinerary on that aspect.

The MR is going to be cooler, and the water is not the terquoise blue of the Caribbean. We did find some very nice beaches however; Las Caletas in PV, and Playa Ropa in Zihuatenejo. I did not care for Mazatlan at all, and Cabo was too dry (no trees) and brown for my taste.

The cliff divers in Acapulco are amazing, and you can take a cab to the top of some of the hills there and get amazing views of Acapulco Bay.

Count on "loosing" two days + in warm weather when you are sailing along the Baja California between LA and Cabo and vice versa.

The people are great and very friendly, but I would really want to do a ten day cruise again when we return to the MR. It gives you a few extra days of nice weather and you generally get further South.

Eric and Beth

Seaward (Norwegian Sea) - Southern Caribbean - 1995
Norway - Eastern Caribbean - 2001
Sea Princess - Mexican Riviera - 2002
Norwegian Sun - Western Caribbean - 2004

Hoping our next cruise is in:

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00FF00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2005;05;21;06;00;00&timezone=EST-0300[/img]

Archived